Print Thread
Rewatch Downunder: C6 City at the Edge of the World - Saturday 6th August
AnneArthur

Pilot53 wrote:

Hey Anne good to hear from you.

Hi, Pilot! Good to see you.

AnneArthur

Travisina wrote:

How DID Tarrant negotiate with the Keezarnians? That's never explained.

The mind boggles . . .

Travisina

AnneArthur wrote:

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

I'm just starting. I don't like these shots of space with plinking music at the beginning.

There are a few eps that start like that (is 'Horizon' one of them?) - as establishing shots go, it's very dull.

Yes - I think Horizon might be one. They are mostly in the earlier seasons, I think. I suppose the idea is to suggest the vastness of space - but it is very dull.

That's why the eps directed by Fiona wossname and Mary thingie are so refreshing. Compare this opening with those of 'Rumours of Death', 'Sarcophagus' etc.
There is no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Pilot53
Well all sorry but I must be off.
As always been great chatting with you all here. Look forward to next weeks rewatch. I'm not feeling too crash hot. Heavy flu, tonsils are inflamed & lost my voice.
Have a great weekend & week ahead.
Cheers all.
Australia
The Penal Colony
Where Servalan is supreme commander.

M1795537OCVirn

Travisina wrote:

No idea- he'd be stumped when hitting someone or pointing his blaster at them didn't work.
"You're not sulking, I hope?"

Travisina

Pilot53 wrote:

As always been great chatting with you all here. Look forward to next weeks rewatch. I'm not feeling too crash hot. Heavy flu, tonsils are inflamed & lost my voice.
Cheers all.

Sorry you're not well, Pilot!
Hope you get well soon. Have a good week.

AnneArthur

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

I'm just starting. I don't like these shots of space with plinking music at the beginning.

There are a few eps that start like that (is 'Horizon' one of them?) - as establishing shots go, it's very dull.

Yes - I think Horizon might be one. They are mostly in the earlier seasons, I think. I suppose the idea is to suggest the vastness of space - but it is very dull.

That's why the eps directed by Fiona wossname and Mary thingie are so refreshing. Compare this opening with those of 'Rumours of Death', 'Sarcophagus' etc.

Yes - much more impressive.

AnneArthur

Pilot53 wrote:

Cheers all.

See you next week! Hope you feel better soon.

AnneArthur
I don't like Vila's outfit in this. It's like pyjamas and a dressing gown.

Travisina
Oh, Colin Baker is wonderful! And he's so lovely in real life, I met him at the Supreme Cat Show a few years ago. And he did the whole 'I had a mother...' speech by heart!

Travisina

AnneArthur wrote:

It's awful, isn't it? Overall he gets the worst costumes in the series. Such a shame.

AnneArthur

Travisina wrote:

Oh, Colin Baker is wonderful! And he's so lovely in real life, I met him at the Supreme Cat Show a few years ago. And he did the whole 'I had a mother...' speech by heart!

How wonderful! Is he a cat lover, then?

M1795537OCVirn

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

It's awful, isn't it? Overall he gets the worst costumes in the series. Such a shame.

Presumably they were 'dressing him down' so that he didn't overshadow the others. But Michael is such a great actor he can overcome his costumes.

AnneArthur

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

No idea- he'd be stumped when hitting someone or pointing his blaster at them didn't work.

Bayban was pulling the strings and told them to get someone who could open the door, I think.

Travisina
Yes, he loves cats. It was such a fun event - the show had a sci-fi theme, and they had him as one of the guest judges, along with Paul Darrow and John Leeson. And they did panels and signings as well as cat-judging. I'll have to dig out and re-publish the review we had on Horizon.

AnneArthur
I like Cally teazing Avon!

Travisina

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

Presumably they were 'dressing him down' so that he didn't overshadow the others. But Michael is such a great actor he can overcome his costumes.

He also used to hunch over a bit when he was standing next to Avon, because they were the same height and Vila needed to be smaller.

AnneArthur

Travisina wrote:

Yes, he loves cats. It was such a fun event - the show had a sci-fi theme, and they had him as one of the guest judges, along with Paul Darrow and John Leeson. And they did panels and signings as well as cat-judging. I'll have to dig out and re-publish the review we had on Horizon.

Oh please do!

Travisina

AnneArthur wrote:

I like Cally teazing Avon!

Me too. The dialogue in this ep is brilliant.

M1795537OCVirn

Travisina wrote:

To quote the President....It's there, waiting for you! I uploaded it months ago.

AnneArthur

Travisina wrote:

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

He also used to hunch over a bit when he was standing next to Avon, because they were the same height and Vila needed to be smaller.

I can see that working in the world of the story too. Vila is someone whose whole survival strategy is based on being useful, but unthreatening. He would naturally adopt a 'humble' posture.
Edited by AnneArthur on 06-08-2022 09:58

AnneArthur
One of the best things about this episode is Vila explaining how he works.

M1795537OCVirn
The height thing is so misleading. I mean, we get the impression that Servalan is tall, when in fact she's tiny. Look at how they had to angle the cameras in 'Sand' when she was next to Tarrant!

Travisina

AnneArthur wrote:

This ep is FULL of best things! Happy sigh...

AnneArthur

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

The height thing is so misleading. I mean, we get the impression that Servalan is tall, when in fact she's tiny. Look at how they had to angle the cameras in 'Sand' when she was next to Tarrant!

Again, it's the posture. In her own mind she is the dominant person in any room - so people think of her as taller than she is.

AnneArthur

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

This ep is FULL of best things! Happy sigh...

Happy sigh, indeed.

M1795537OCVirn
So - the number of studs on your costume is a measure of how agressive/bad you are?

Travisina

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

To quote the President....It's there, waiting for you! I uploaded it months ago.

So it is, thank you!
I'll bump it to the top of my to-do list Wink
And of course, I'd missed mentioning that Michael Keating was there too, d'oh!
Edited by Travisina on 06-08-2022 10:04

AnneArthur

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

So - the number of studs on your costume is a measure of how agressive/bad you are?

Avon seems to be remarkably unstudded this week.

M1795537OCVirn
Kerril thought she was alone - with Vila? Enough said.

AnneArthur

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

I think she means that she didn't notice the skeletons.

M1795537OCVirn

AnneArthur wrote:

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Even worse!

Travisina

AnneArthur wrote:

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Again, it's the posture. In her own mind she is the dominant person in any room - so people think of her as taller than she is.

I'll have to remember that trick!

AnneArthur
I'm not sure that I like these people. All this talk of decadence and barbarism, and a new system where they can expand . . .

Travisina

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Even worse!

Behave yourself, MsVirn!

Travisina

AnneArthur wrote:

I'm not sure that I like these people. All this talk of decadence and barbarism, and a new system where they can expand . . .

Interesting point. Are we fooled by their passivity, the robes and long-hair into thinking they're a peaceful people? Maybe they're as bad as the Federation.

AnneArthur

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

Interesting point. Are we fooled by their passivity, the robes and long-hair into thinking they're a peaceful people? Maybe they're as bad as the Federation.

I'm just beginning to wonder if that might be the case . . .

M1795537OCVirn

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

But the Federation exists only to serve its citizens, bringing peace and order to all.

AnneArthur

M1795537OCVirn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

AnneArthur wrote:

But the Federation exists only to serve its citizens, bringing peace and order to all.

QED Grin

M1795537OCVirn
Brilliant male misunderstanding of what the woman is saying. Best bit of writing in the script.

Jump to Forum