View Thread
blakes7online » General Forums » Merchandise
 Print Thread
Blakes 7 BLu Ray Release?
Steve White
Hi all,

Any one know why we've not seen a blu ray release of B7, in the same way the Classic Series of Dr Who is getting a spruce up?

I would dearly love to see a cleaned up version of the show, and CG effects replacing some of the shots that don't quite stand up to modern day standard (basic most of Series D, then Grin)

Brad
Short answer, the BBC doesn't think it would be profitable.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
Modthra

Steve White
Wow! Seriously? I can’t believe it wouldn’t make its investment back…

Vargas
Too small a market IMO, also is the original media good enough to enable the footage to be up-scaled to Blu ray resolution?

We see how bad the Federation Wallpapering skills in Project Avalon at ordinary DVD (Even old VHS) with Blue Ray it would be even worse.. Grin
My gang gets free extra strong mints for the rest of their lives!

wall1885
it would be interesting to find out the average number of sales the Big Finish audios get, this would give a potential gauge of how popular and marketable the Blu Rays may be...plus not everyone is a fan of audios. But I bet all us audio fans/customers would buy the Blu Rays where as I doubt if all the Blu Ray market buy audios
(just my personal opinion)

EagleTen
I too would be a Day One buyer of a cleaned up Blu Ray release of Blake's 7, but unfortunately, as it is the BBC, and their biggest seller (Doctor Who) doesn't even get a Blu Ray upgrade (although they have cleaned up the older episodes and put them on Blu Ray, but only as upscaled SD versions), There's a zero chance that they will do any work on Blake's 7...

It's a shame, but re-watching the episodes on Britbox at the mo, and the series kinda suits the old retro, low budget look...

One thing that the B7 special effects team were really good at though was quarry explosions! Some of those were particularly awesome! Ahhh, the good old days of pre-health & safety! LOL

MadHatch
I too would pick up the cleaned up series on blu-ray. I think it's a crime that the BBC are letting the show decline and vanish. But hey, it's not like the BBC had a lot of faith in the show to begin with.

Vargas
Thank goodness there are fans like us keeping it alive.. Long may it continue!

Indeed its thanks to fans for the amazing Animated Dr Who on DVD built from surviving footage stills and audio tracks.. Just acquired Galaxy 4 today, looking forward to seeing that.
My gang gets free extra strong mints for the rest of their lives!

BountyHunter
I’d be happy with a Region 1 dvd release. Bored of watching grainy internet copies. Lol

Brad

BountyHunter wrote:

I’d be happy with a Region 1 dvd release. Bored of watching grainy internet copies. Lol

Region free DVD players are quite cheap on Amazon.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
Modthra

BountyHunter
Yeah, I’ve been thinking of getting another one. Every one I’ve bought in the past crapped out on me after 5 months, so that’s kind of turned me off of them.

Obsidian

BountyHunter wrote:

Yeah, I’ve been thinking of getting another one. Every one I’ve bought in the past crapped out on me after 5 months, so that’s kind of turned me off of them.

Have you tried using VLC? I'm in Australia and use an external hard drive for any discs, CD or DVD. I then get VLC to override the native software which wants to block non-Region 4 discs. I watch Regions 1 and 2 quite happily that way. That's on my computer. Otherwise, region free player and Blu-ray player.
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron.

https://www.seraglio-design.com/
Brad

Obsidian wrote:

Have you tried using VLC? I'm in Australia and use an external hard drive for any discs, CD or DVD. I then get VLC to override the native software which wants to block non-Region 4 discs. I watch Regions 1 and 2 quite happily that way. That's on my computer. Otherwise, region free player and Blu-ray player.

Hmm... I have an external DVD on my Computer, and I use VLC... didn't know you could do that.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
Modthra

Obsidian

Brad wrote:

Obsidian wrote:

Hmm... I have an external DVD on my Computer, and I use VLC... didn't know you could do that.

I use a Mac, Brad. The DVD Player is always wanting to butt in but I just close it, sometimes – but not always – after a tussle over regions, and pull up VLC to open the discs. Once VLC is up, everything is fine.
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron.

https://www.seraglio-design.com/
Jump to Forum