Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,294
· Newest Rebel: jds12

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you watching?
sweevo
Metropolis, Fritz Lang's 1927 masterpiece (although I think M from 1931 is a better film). OK, it's a silent movie and it's overacted, and the plot doesn't really add up together, but this film is the first epic sci-fi blockbuster. If you look at most action and sci-fi movies, and even some anime/manga (including the 2001 anime semi-remake based on a 1949 manga), then you'll notice a lot of the "familiar" tropes such as a kidnapped woman being experimented on, a male protagonist from the opposition joining the heroes, his ally who is fired by the film's de facto antagonist, the morally-grey tough but not too bright voice of reason. and of course, the mad scientist turning out to be the main villain (complete with a mutual dislike on the parts of both antagonists - the "lesser of two evils" conflict) - and especially the climax in a cathedral or tower, resulting in a duel between hero and villain (and the latter falling to their death)... they all stem from this film. You might recognise this film from clips featured in Queen's music video for the song "Radio Ga Ga".
Edited by sweevo on 25 July 2021 04:21:47

Hugbot
sweevo wrote:

Metropolis, Fritz Lang's 1927 masterpiece [...] you'll notice a lot of the "familiar" tropes [...] they all stem from this film.

You might also recognise C3PO and Dr Strangelove!

sweevo
Indeed I do.

sweevo
Kiki's Delivery Service. Smile

BradPaula
Their Finest (2016) starring Bill Nighy and the late Helen McCrory. Wonderful story about the people who wrote and acted in the British propaganda films during WWII. Can't say enough about Bill Nighy.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

One Spare Part
A friend has lent me....The Streets of San Francisco...a Quinn Martin production...
It is one of the better cop shows from the 70s although it is hard to beat P.I. Jim Rockford. Both have cracking theme tunes.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

sweevo
From Up on Poppy Hill - can't believe it's been a decade already since its release (I've got Laputa: Castle in the Sky scheduled for Monday for its 35th anniversary - the first official Studio Ghibil movie).

sweevo
8 1/2 by Federico Fellini... Jesus, what a slog.

One Spare Part
A French SF series from 2016 called Missions. Great idea and great tension in a mystery on Mars.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

sweevo
Star Trek: The Next Generation - just the Q episodes, though. I still stand by my original opinion that after the "Best of Both Worlds" story arc (and "Family", the epilogue episode), there was too much focus on Data, which marginalised most of the other characters (only one or two Crusher-centric episodes, two LaForge ones, one focusing on Worf and none on Troi) and whose personal experiences with human behaviour were somehow misinterpreted as character development with some exceptions, such as the episodes focusing on his relationship with Lore or when he tries to build a "child" of his own in the form of Lal. Personally, I think Worf got more characterisation (especially after his move to Deep Space 9).

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

Their Finest (2016) starring Bill Nighy and the late Helen McCrory. Wonderful story about the people who wrote and acted in the British propaganda films during WWII. Can't say enough about Bill Nighy.

Loved that film, Bill Nighy is a big favourite as is Gemma Arterton

Spaceship Dispatcher
Currently watching a couple of DVD collections of work by screenwriter Jack Rosenthal, before starting on Orson Welles' Great Mysteries (the ITV series) later this week. Also watched Black Widow last week, possibly my favourite Marvel film so far.

BradPaula
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

Loved that film, Bill Nighy is a big favourite as is Gemma Arterton

Yes, it was quite good but then it was totally British and totally charming. As usual.

sweevo
Laputa: The Castle in the Sky, to celebrate its 35th anniversary. Smile Here's the trailer: https://www.youtu..._oi8Xlo1mA

sweevo
A double bill of Grave of the Fireflies and My Neighbour Totoro, since they were produced, released and shown back-to-back (MNT was originally shown before GOTF during its original theatrical release in Japan but the order was reversed after Studio Ghibli learned that people were walking out so as not to get their happy moods depressed).

rojroj
Deva wrote:

Star Trek: Picard. Apart from never ending affection for the 60s original, I lost all interest in Star Trek about 20 years ago but having watched seven of the ten episodes of season 1, I think Picard is an excellent series. Dark Trek rather than Star Trek.

I've really enjoyed Picard and I'm looking forward to S2.

https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
rojroj
I've recently watched Black Widow. A group of Soviet spies spend two weeks in the US pretending that they are an American family and later look back on that period as the only happy time of their lives. Presumably the time they spent in the US enabled them to experience moral awakening and years later they get together to fight against a Russian villan and his troops of "widows". Since these are Russian soldiers, the premise is that they cannot possibly have free will, so some chemical mumbo-jumbo is introduced to explain that the evil mastermind controls all their brains and Our Heroes have to set them free and endow them with American-style individuality.

This is pure ideology, as Zizek would say, but thrilling and fun to watch if you switch off the critical part of your brain.

BradPaula
Watched '20,000 Leagues under the Sea' (1954) Starring Kirk Douglas, James Mason and Peter Lorre. I'm starting to become quite the fan of Mr. Douglas.

rojroj
Spirited Away. I know it's considered a masterpiece. Artwork is really fascinating, and the storyline has profound meaning and complexity -- but for me at least, some scenes were still over the top. In particular, the "stink monster" and the scenes in which "No-face" gorges on food and later throws up its vicitims. I was almost sick myself. This is only my second Miyazaki flim, I hope not all of them have such scenes!

sweevo
Don't worry - as resident Ghibli expert, I can assure you the disgusting factor is not found in any other film (although they all do feature food VERY prominently).

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.60 seconds
35,187,469 unique visits since 8th January 2014