Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,294
· Newest Rebel: jds12

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Studio Ghibli Reviews (Mark 2)
sweevo
Smile I'm glad you think so.

sweevo
Update: Good news everyone! I have just found the international release dates for Hayao Miyazaki's last film - "The Wind Rises". The film will be released on 27 February in Oceania (Australia/New Zealand), 28 February in North America (USA/Canada), and 9 May in Europe.

sweevo
Further update: All three founding members of Studio Ghibli have now effectively retired - directors Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata and producer Toshio Suzuki have stepped down, leaving Miyazaki's son Goro to take up the reins along with Hiromasa Yonebayashi, who directed "Arrietty" in 2010 and is set to direct a sequel to "Porco Rosso", entitled "Porco Rosso: The Last Sortie", set in the Spanish Civil War and featuring an older porcine pilot, based on a script written by Miyazaki.

sweevo
Today is the 30th Anniversary of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind - the manga was written just so Miyazaki could produce the film, unaware of the success it would bring for him. Smile

sweevo
Studio Ghibli will release ANOTHER film this year - "When Marnie Was There" - a story of the friendship between a lonely little girl named Anna and a mysterious person named Marnie, who becomes her first real friend. The film is due for a Japanese release on 19 July 2014 and is directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi, the official successor to Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata.

sweevo
Good news! I have successfully obtained a copy of "The Wind Rises" and I will be reviewing it VERY soon! Smile

sweevo
Not-so-good news: Due to a struggle to keep up with the studio's catalogue (and the seemingly blatant disregard for International releases by giving their films limited releases instead of wide releases), I hate to announce that after my review of "The Wind Rises", I am retiring from the Studio Ghibli fandom - at least temporarily.

sweevo
26. The Wind Rises (2013)

Jiro Horikoshi, myopic from an early age, dreams of working with aircraft - his dream is spurred from his youth when he meets Italian aircraft pioneer Gianni Caproni in a vision. Aided by his work colleague and friend Honjo, Jiro designs and develops what ultimately becomes the Mitsubishi A6M Zero fighter jet plane. During his engineering epic, Jiro meets and falls in love with Naoko, a woman who is suffering from terminal tuberculosis. With the help and understanding of his boss, Mr Kurokawa, Jiro marries Naoko and the two grow closer as one star-crossed lover continues with his goal to build a masterpiece of Japanese engineering, while the other is closer to death with every passing day.

A hauntingly beautiful and almost heartbreaking film, this is a well-written and well-executed swan song by Hayao Miyazaki, which leaves the studio with an uncertain future. The Wind Rises can be viewed as a culmination of Miyazaki's environmentalist and feminist themes portrayed in his earlier works combined with his love of aviation and both Asian and European culture. This film can also be seen as an unofficial companion piece to Grave of the Fireflies by Miyazaki's friend and colleague, Isao Takahata. Both beautiful, both heartbreaking, both unforgettable films. A Studio Ghibli fan could not have asked for a better grand finale to the Hayao Miyazaki era.

Final Score: 6 out of 5 stars - Arigato e Saynoara, Miyazaki-san. Smile

JustBrad
Stumbled across this, figure you've already seen it, but thought I'd post it in case you hadn't.

http://twitchfilm...net_209480
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

sweevo
Thank you, Brad Smile I'm almost half-tempted to fly all the way to Japan to see it (it opens on 19 July). Better than waiting 6-9 months for it to hit an International release (*cough* Dubbing for English-language audio tracks - just slap English subtitles on it and have done with it!).

Lurena
Finally got to see Arrietty! (Japanese/French version) thanks to my daughter's boyfriend who is a huge Ghibli fan and collector.
A gentle story about "The Borrowers", based on Mary Norton's novel.
The story telling is quite a bit different to most Ghiblis, but in my opinion there is nothing wrong with some touching, heart warming perspective. I think many of us will recognise the children's world of illusion that brings comfort.
There is wonderful music and sound effects. But the main plus is the overwhelming beauty of the animations which are beyond masterwork, very correct and true to nature's design.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
sweevo
I am glad you enjoyed it, Lurena Smile On a slightly dampening note, I have heard that the studio's latest film, When Marnie Was There (due for a release on 14 July, not 19 July as I earlier stated), could very well be Studio Ghibli's final film due to the retirements of anime legends and founding members Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata. The film will be directed by Hiromasa Yonebayashi (director of Arrietty), and if it truly is the Studio's swansong, then it'll be a good way to end the Ghibli legacy.

sweevo
Update: Isao Takahata's last film, "The Tale of Princess Kaguya", will be released in the US on 17 October, with a European release sometime in time for Christmas. "When Marnie Was There" will get a 2015 release internationally - and that will be the end of Studio Ghibli. Sad

Lurena
sweevo wrote:

Update: Isao Takahata's last film, "The Tale of Princess Kaguya", will be released in the US on 17 October, with a European release sometime in time for Christmas. Sad

It's released here sweevo, my daughter saw it in the cinema; the audience (men and woman) got moved to tears.
A genuine Ghibli production!
I have to wait to see it as the film was shown only one week and at the time I had to work. So I can't tell you more about it.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
sweevo
I finally got a copy of "The Tale of Princess Kaguya"!! I will be reviewing it as soon as possible. The final Studio Ghibli film, "When Marnie Was There", will be released on DVD and Blu-ray Disc on 18 March 2015 in Japan, so get your import preorders ready! Smile

sweevo
"When Marnie Was There" will be released in cinemas in the West on 22 May Smile

sweevo
I have acquired a copy of "When Marnie Was There" - I will review it when I have the time. My collection is complete, since this is Studio Ghibli's final film.

sweevo
This week is special (27 April to 1 May)... because I will be reviewing the final Studio Ghibli films - Isao Takahata's swansong "The Tale of the Princess Kaguya" and Hiromasa Yonebayashi's "When Marnie Was There". Smile The former will be watched on Tuesday, while the latter will be viewed on Wednesday.

sweevo
27. The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (2013)

Based on a Japanese folk story, this film follows the short life of a princess found inside a bamboo stalk. Raised by a bamboo cutter named Sanuki no Miyatsuko and his wife, she eventually relocates to the capital of Japan, where she is educated to be a noble lady thanks to the help of a noblewoman named Lady Sagami. The princess is christened "Kaguya" due to the light and beauty that radiates from her. Following a visit from five noblemen who wish to marry her and a personal visitation from the Emperor himself, Kaguya experiences the ups and downs of human life... and discovers who she truly is.

This is the final film directed by Isao Takahata, and sees him out of his comfort zone, trading in realism for folklore and fantasy but never sacrificing the essential human drama that makes his films stand out from the other personnel at Studio Ghibli. It is also the longest film in the studio's catalogue (2 hours and 17 minutes), beating Princess Mononoke by 4 minutes. A genuinely intriguing and entertaining story, it has everything - humour, drama, and a little bit of adventure (although Takahata seems to be suffering from "Ending Fatigue" during the last 15-20 minutes of the film, inserting multiple potential endings before showing us the definitive conclusion, as if he couldn't make up his mind on how to end the film). It is probably his best film since Grave of the Fireflies and his most coherent and accessible one, too.

Final Score: 6 out of 5 stars - another high score for Studio Ghibli Smile

dragonq
I loved When Marnie was There as a child. It's a gorgeous book, and I really hope that they don't screw it up. I know the story has been relocated from East Anglia to Japan, which I have mixed feelings about, as the sense of place is so integral to the story.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.73 seconds
35,163,594 unique visits since 8th January 2014