View Thread
blakes7online » Blake's 7 » B7 Modern
 Print Thread
B7 Media - Blake's 7 Reborn
wall1885
In the Wilderness years, before Big Finish, Blakes 7 was almost forgotten about accept among a few thousand Worldwide fans. Then back in 2006 something wonderful occurred, B7 Productions gave us Blake's 7 reborn, reimagined and recreated as a series of audio adventures.

It was very brave to recast our favourite characters and basically change the stories we know and love into a whole new World. A very different Blake's 7 to the one we all remembered.

www.b7media.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/b7m_carousel_B7audioadv_v4.2.jpg

On 11th December 2006, B7 Productions announced that it had recorded a series of 36 five-minute Blake's 7 audio adventures, written by Ben Aaronovitch, Marc Platt and James Swallow.
These stories featured Derek Riddell as Blake, Colin Salmon as Avon, Daniela Nardini as Servalan, Craig Kelly as Travis, Carrie Dobro as Jenna, Dean Harris as Vila, Owen Aaronovitch as Gan.

The new series was broadcast on BBC Radio 7 and repeated in mid-2010 as three hour-long episodes.

Between 2008 and 2010, B7 Productions also produced series of 30-minute prequel audio episodes called Blake's 7: The Early Years, which explored the earlier histories of the central characters.
For our money we got -
Blake’s 7: When Vila Met Gan [Vila and Gan] (2008) by Ben Aaronovitch
Blake’s 7: Point of no Return [Travis] (2008) by James Swallow
Blake’s 7: Eye of the Machine [Avon] (2008) by Ben Aaronovitch
Blake’s 7: Blood & Earth [Cally] (2009) by Ben Aaronovitch
Blake’s 7: Flag & Flame [Cally] (2009) by Marc Platt
Blake’s 7: The Dust Run [Jenna] (2009) by Simon Guerrier
Blake’s 7: The Trial [Jenna] (2009) by Simon Guerrier
Blake’s 7: Escape Velocity [Zen] (2010) by James Swallow

These stories were all released on individual CD's and then later released as boxsets.

www.b7media.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/b7m_carousel_B7earlyyears_v3.jpg

It was hoped a third series called "Blake's 7: Legacy" would be produced to be set 30 years after the bloodbath on the planet of Gauda Prime, however this never materialised.

In August 2013, Big Finished re released the whole of B7 Productions stories, including the Early Years, together in 1 boxset for the first time.

www.bigfinish.com/image/release/926/large.jpg

At the time it took me a couple of listens to enjoy them as they were not the Blakes 7 I knew and loved. But they did grown on me. With hindsight I appreciate that these were a valuable stepping stone to the Big Finish stories. They proved that Blake'7 still had a paying audience. Many people connected with the Big Finish productions were involved with these stories.

For the Early Years range, Vila was recast and Dean Harris was replaced by some bloke called Michael Keating, who seemed to fill the role very well Grin
Also Cally was played by the one and only Jan Chappell

Hopefully we can build this thread with as much back ground info about these stories as possible. making this the one stop thread for all things relating to B7 Media and its Blake's 7 legacy.

wall1885
B7 Productions, based in London, was formed as a TV and Video production company in January 2002. The subsidiary company, B7 Media, was formed at the end of April 2008. The founding members of B7 Productions are Andrew Mark Sewell, a former BBC executive, and the film producer Simon Moorhead. They bought the rights to Blake's 7 from the estate of Terry Nation, who devised the series.

Audio reboot
The Blake's 7 audio reboot of the series was produced by B7 Media. These series of audio adventures are a reboot, utilising the core concept and story of Blake's 7 while recasting and rewriting a majority of the characters and story of the series. Expanding on many aspects that were only hinted at in the television series.
This was very brave of them to do this. They knew that they were mainly catering to an existing core of fans from the original TV series. These fans would definitely buy the first release, but could B7 Media keep hold of that fan base and expand upon it?
For me, I bought them just because they were Blake’s 7. The show, the franchise that I had loved since day one. A franchise which I thought did not get the recognition or support it deserved, especially when you compare it to something like Doctor Who.
Writing this in 2022 I’m trying to remember my thoughts and feelings of 15 years ago.
While I listened to and bought the 2 BBC Radio Adventures of Blake’s 7, I was not a fan of audios, they didn’t excite me. To be honest I wasn’t that impressed with The Sevenfold Crown or The Syndeton Experiment.
Big Finish had been releasing Doctor Who audios since 1999 (I think) and they were already building a great reputation for delivering wonderful stories. I wasn’t into their Doctor Who releases. But once they got the license for the Tomorrow People I was interested. I loved their Tomorrow People range and I bought them all, Big Finish had changed me into a fan of audios. Because of this I had high hopes for B7 Medias Blake’s 7 audios.
When I first heard the first B7 Media releases I was lost. They didn’t grab me. It wasn’t Blakes 7, well not the one I knew, and I wont lie, I struggled with new actors playing my heroes. I was completely prejudiced against them. I was stuck in the past and couldn’t move forward. But I stuck with them. I think I listened to them all at least 3 times before I finally enjoyed them for what they were.
Don’t get me wrong, the audios had some amazing actors, literally Super Stars. It wasn’t their acting I couldn’t handle, it was the departure from the series I loved and knew inside out that I couldn’t deal with.
The Early Years releases caught me by bringing back Michael Keating as Vila then bringing Jan Chappell into the fold was a stroke of genius, finally it was becoming my Blake’s 7 ……then it all stopped in 2010. Just as I was getting into it, it was taken away from me, talk about being frustrated.
We now know that in late 2010/2011 (not sure when) Big Finish obtained the rights for Blake’s 7 audios. The rest (as they say) is history. I now treat the B7 media Blake’s 7 reboot a bit like I treat the Daniel Craig James Bond films, they are set in their own universe, their own individual timeline.
I am grateful for them, for a time they were the only new Blake’s 7 we had had for years and could look forward to.

I will continue to add to this thread with as much as I can find on the internet.

We are Horizon, The Blake’s 7 Appreciation Society, so that means in all its forms and manifestations.

B7 Media is a part of the history and story of Blake’s 7 – it should not be forgotten

wall1885
‘’THE ADVENTURE BEGINS...
'In the 23rd Century the galactic Federation was no longer a beacon of democracy and peace. Freedom and justice are things of the past. One man chose to oppose this.'

SCI FI is proud to present a new Blake's 7 for a new generation! We will release new chapters every Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, so keep checking back for the latest exciting action! LISTEN NOW!’’

A Rebellion Reborn was the first season of stories produced by B7 Media part of the "audio reboot" of the series.
A Rebellion Reborn consisted of 36 five minute audio stories originally available to listen on the UK's SCIFI channel's website in 2007, with three episodes released weekly, these episodes were also released as a podcasts.
Later in 2007 these 5 minute episodes were collected into three hour-long episodes; Rebel, Traitor and Liberator these were broadcast on BBC Radio 4 and also released on CD.
This season consisted of three releases, with completely separate casting from Blake's 7 television stories. The core concept of Blake's 7 and the same characters across the stories. Aside from single appearance character the only repeat appearance, new character who was not originally in Blake's 7 is Lora Mezin.

Stories
The dates shown are when the story was first released to listen as a collected hour-long episode on BBC Radio 4.

Rebel by Ben Aaronovitch - 22 December 2007
Traitor by Marc Platt - 29 December 2007
Liberator by James Swallow - 5 January 2008

M1795537OCVirn
I have the CD of A Rebellion Reborn, and like you struggled with the differences - an Irish-sounding Servalan was hard to take! But I agree that they had some good ideas and interesting character studies. Good to have them remembered.
"You're not sulking, I hope?"

wall1885
The first release from B7 Media was called Rebel. This was broadcast in May 2007.
Written and script edited by Ben Aaronovitch, Directed and produced by Andrew Mark Sewell .
i.imgur.com/xM7NXz6.jpeg

Cast
Lora Mezin - India Fisher
Judge Helga Ramotswe - Frances Barber
Sub-Commander Raiker - James Gaddas
Soris - Michael Praed
Borchu - Nick Brimble
Clinician Havant - Tim Plester
Revella - Sarah Matravers
Prosecutor - Jonathan Rhodes
Reporter - Dominic Cotter
Captain (The London) - Robert Lock
Trooper Tanzig - Daniel J Geduld
Sheeva & Computer Voices - Barbara Joslyn
Other parts were played by members of the cast

Crew
Music By - Alistair Lock
Title Music By - Alistair Lock
Executive Producer - Simon Moorhead
Sound Design & Post-Production - Alistair Lock
Studio Engineer - Wilfredo Acosta
Casting Director - David Hall
Blake's 7 created by - Terry Nation

Synopsis
In the third century of the second calendar, the galactic Federation, once a beacon of democracy and peace, has become a corrupt tyranny.

Freedom and Justice are things of the past.

Roj Blake stood up for the ordinary people. When the establishment tried intimidation he laughed in their faces. When they tried to crush him he fought back. When they tried to brainwash him into obedience, he broke their conditioning. Finally they framed him and sentenced him to permanent exile on the notorious prison planet Cygnus Alpha.

The Federation thinks it has seen the last of Roj Blake.

The Federation will wish it had…

wall1885
the second story, titled Traitor was broadcast June 2007. This was written by Marc Platt, script edited by Ben Aaronovitch, directed and produced by Andrew Mark Sewell.
i.imgur.com/sJPFXWw.jpeg

Synopsis
Roj Blake is on the run. He has a ship, but the ship has plans of its own. He has a crew, but who are his friends and who are his enemies? Blake thought space promised freedom, but space is cold, cruel and steeped in blood. The power of the Federation reaches further and deeper than Blake dared imagine. Freedom is nowhere to be found.

Cast
Dr Ruth Ashaya - Rula Lenska
Lt. Jorge Garcia - Jake Maskall
Cassim Rafat - Jonathan Redwin
Councillor Singh - Kevin Jon Davies
Police Scout - William Johnston **only on audio credits
Refinery - Andy Thomas
Sky Leader - Jonathan Rhodes
Control - Barbara Joslyn
Other parts - members of the cast

Crew
Music By - Alistair Lock
Sound Design & Post-Production - Alistair Lock
Title Music By - Alistair Lock
Executive Producer - Simon Moorhead
Studio Engineer - Wilfredo Acosta
Casting Director - David Hall
Blake's 7 created by - Terry Nation

wall1885
the third, and final release of the Rebellion Reborn series was called Liberator and this was broadcast on July 2007.
Written by James Swallow, scripted edited by Ben Aaronovitch and directed and produced by Andrew Mark Sewell.
i.imgur.com/hmWriRa.jpeg

Synopsis
The Federation’s grip is tightening. Roj Blake and the crew of the Liberator have nowhere left to hide. As time runs out, old friendships are shattered and new alliances are forged. Choices are made, and battle lines are drawn across the galaxy. A path of betrayal, lies and deceit leads to only one destination, towards a deadly confrontation that will change everything.

Cast
Nico - Doug Bradley
Lt. Garcia - Jake Maskall
Lt. Rix - Evangelo Kioussis
Security Monitor - Barbara Joslyn
Operator - Robert Maloney
The Captain (Raptor One) - Colin Ravey
The Avatar - Vanda Opalinski **
members of cast

Crew
Music By - Alistair Lock