Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 5
Iain Short, trevor travis, One Spare Part, BradPaula, littlesue

· Total Rebels: 1,294
· Newest Rebel: jds12

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Lords and Ladies - 13th May
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Elves generally tend to have a bad press these days. Not like in 'My Big Fairy Story Book' that I was given for Christmas one year (probably before Stormy was born, but let's not go into that).
Julian May's version (The Saga of the Exiles) is pretty well the same as Pratchett's. Look nice but turn out nasty. I think Tolkien's the only place they get any credit, and even there, you don't want to mess with an Elf. Especially not if you're a dwarf.

I've now returned to The Dresden Files in which the Fairies are very nasty indeed!
I loved Tolkein's elves, and even Gimli and Legolas were able to put aside their differences for the common good.
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

There's a lot of fun stuff - the riffs on Midsummer Night's Dream (I like the way Pratchett uses the Witches of Lancre for his takes on Shakespeare)

Now we're getting there... yes, and Magrat the heroine steals the show.

She does, yet again. I love that she's portrayed as a wet hen who can't say boo to a goose*, but has colossal reserves of strength and courage.

*mixing my avian metaphors, sorry
My views are my own.

AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

M1795537 OC Virn
Many coloured Land is book one (of four!). Probably worth another go. Weird, but fascinating.
You're not sulking, I hope?

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

There's a lot of fun stuff - the riffs on Midsummer Night's Dream (I like the way Pratchett uses the Witches of Lancre for his takes on Shakespeare)

Now we're getting there... yes, and Magrat the heroine steals the show.

She does, yet again. I love that she's portrayed as a wet hen who can't say boo to a goose*, but has colossal reserves of strength and courage.

*mixing my avian metaphors, sorry

Pratchett is good at writing women!

stormypetrel
All this intellectual discussion… and what I really want to know is, what are the words to the Hedgehog Song…

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

I didn’t twig on a lot of the Shakespeare stuff, until I looked it up.

The play within a play meme is always a clue you're doing something about Shakespeare. I love the rude artisans! Martyn (son-in-law who died) was once involved in doing the Stick and Bucket dance. Never got to see any photos... maybe it's just as well.

I loved their names! Well, if Shakespeare can have Bottom the Weaver, Pratchett is entitled to his Carter the Baker (or whatever)
My views are my own.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

All this intellectual discussion… and what I really want to know is, what are the words to the Hedgehog Song…

Quite by chance, I recently came across an audio adaptation of 'Guards, Guards' on BBC Sounds. It was abridged, but good - excellent voice actors for each role. And it had the full version of 'A Wizard's Staff's Got a Knob on the End'
My views are my own.

M1795537 OC Virn
stormypetrel wrote:

"...the hedgehog can never be buggered at all..." - from Wyrd Sisters.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Yes, but the full thing!

I used to have a good line in altering lyrics to utterly filthy versions when I was younger, and I could do it totally sober, too.

Travisina
Then of course, this is full of romance. Magrat and Verence living weirdly ever after. Granny and Ridcully re-discovering each other, and contemplating what-might-have-been. So touching and full of wisdom. 'Personal isn't the same as important'.

And wonderful Nanny Ogg having a riotous time with Cassanunda Grin
My views are my own.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Yes, but the full thing!

I used to have a good line in altering lyrics to utterly filthy versions when I was younger, and I could do it totally sober, too.

My friends and I used to make normal songs seem filthy just by leaving out words here and there and giving a wink.
eg the Beatles "Here I stand, **** in hand, turn my face to the wall"
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
I got “Casanunda’. That was clever!

M1795537 OC Virn
We have bees. Pratchett knows a thing or two about them, too. He's so good at his research!

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

I got “Casanunda’. That was clever!

Isn't it? Made me laugh out loud.
My views are my own.

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Yes, but the full thing!

My friends and I used to make normal songs seem filthy just by leaving out words here and there and giving a wink.

Of course, I would never think of doing such a thing.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Yes, but the full thing!

GrinGrin
“I have often ****** down this street before…”

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

We have bees. Pratchett knows a thing or two about them, too. He's so good at his research!

I try to encourage bees in the garden by not bothering to do the weeding. Well, that's my excuse anyway. Right now the nettles are flowering and the lawn is overgrown with dandelions.
My views are my own.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Yes, but the full thing!

GrinGrin
“I have often ****** down this street before…”

Exactly! Hours of fun.
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I try to encourage bees in the garden by not bothering to do the weeding. Well, that's my excuse anyway. Right now the nettles are flowering and the lawn is overgrown with dandelions.

There’s an enormous bee who lives here and tries to get in my window every so often. So far it’s only managed to give itself concussion, I should think.

Travisina
...and I find bees fascinating. Fell down a Twitter rabbit hole the other day, and learned lots of things about the bees' waggle dance. I mean, how did the researchers figure out that what the bees were communicating?
My views are my own.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.71 seconds
35,158,912 unique visits since 8th January 2014