Login

Username

Password



Not a rebel yet?
CLICK HERE to register.

Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,283
· Newest Rebel: Cathy Turland

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [43 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [14 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 202
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

 Print Thread
Rebel Cally
Lurena
i.imgur.com/teDFc51.jpg

In discussion with Lorna, after the last rewatch, the following came up:

Of the Liberator crew characters there is only one that we can be sure of who has a thorough training and knowledge regarding weaponry, fight techniques and fight strategies. Cally.
We know about the other characters that they are specialized in engineering, navigation and commercial transport, computer science, muscle strength and compulsive theft.
And we all know that female characters were given a less active role over the course of the series. That is regrettable, because there was so much potential in them.

Cally was meant to be (to quote the dictionaries) a person who rises in opposition or armed resistance against an established government or leader.
In her first appearance, she lives up to this description, but soon her skills are attributed to the male characters. (Later on that may be debatable; the men could have studied certain subjects during their stay on the Liberator)

In the episode Horizon, for example, Cally's strategic knowledge could well have been used, but the action was given to Avon.
Also remarkable in this episode is that Cally is apparently able to read other people’s minds (Kommisar's guilt over the death of Ro's father). I can believe she could and kept it secret.
I think Cally, as a well-trained rebel, would never reveal all her secrets, she will always save an opportunity to secure herself.

This is a thread for discussion about Cally's rebellious skills and behaviour. Your thoughts are very welcome.
 
http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lorna
My view on Cally's telepathy is that she could do more than she ever admitted. However, she probably decided to keep it from the crew, That may have been in some part because of the comment Jenna made in Time Squad about the danger of bringing Aliens aboard.

I love the character created in Time Squad, but the writers didn't follow that through.
Edited by Lorna on 30 April 2021 19:55:27
 
Lorna
Lurena wrote:

i.imgur.com/teDFc51.jpg

In discussion with Lorna, after the last rewatch, the following came up:

Of the Liberator crew characters there is only one that we can be sure of who has a thorough training and knowledge regarding weaponry, fight techniques and fight strategies. Cally.
We know about the other characters that they are specialized in engineering, navigation and commercial transport, computer science, muscle strength and compulsive theft.
And we all know that female characters were given a less active role over the course of the series. That is regrettable, because there was so much potential in them.

Cally was meant to be (to quote the dictionaries) a person who rises in opposition or armed resistance against an established government or leader.
In her first appearance, she lives up to this description, but soon her skills are attributed to the male characters. (Later on that may be debatable; the men could have studied certain subjects during their stay on the Liberator)

In the episode Horizon, for example, Cally's strategic knowledge could well have been used, but the action was given to Avon.
Also remarkable in this episode is that Cally is apparently able to read other people’s minds (Kommisar's guilt over the death of Ro's father). I can believe she could and kept it secret.
I think Cally, as a well-trained rebel, would never reveal all her secrets, she will always save an opportunity to secure herself.

This is a thread for discussion about Cally's rebellious skills and behaviour. Your thoughts are very welcome.


Love the drawing of Cally. You really capture her expression.
 
One Spare Part
I think she was never explicit about her abilities because of this sense that she was *alone*. The effect the separation from her clone sister (s) and Auron as a whole was something she could not or did not want to vocalise. Maybe she thought, given their view of her, as Lorna says, as an alien, that she would never be able to explain herself to them. I think Avon was the only one likely to understand her. Which explains their relationship however you view that.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
Lurena
One Spare Part wrote:

I think she was never explicit about her abilities because of this sense that she was *alone*.

Maybe that being *alone* could have been a part of her reason to keep some of her abilities secret.
But do you think Cally would have spoken more openly about her skills if she hadn't been *alone*?
I doubt that, actually.

The effect the separation from her clone sister (s) and Auron as a whole was something she could not or did not want to vocalise.


Indeed. Why should she? Showing vulnerability wouldn't add positive value to her situation.
In her first episode, Cally doesn't come across as a (mentally) vulnerable character. She shouldn't be, otherwise she would never have been a fighter sent by Auron to assist the local resistance.
And then, having survived Saurian Major and been taken aboard the Liberator, there was a chance to be reunited with her sister and her people.

Maybe she thought, given their view of her, as Lorna says, as an alien, that she would never be able to explain herself to them.


This is certainly true. Lorna has a very good point there.
Coming in from a very different culture often requires a kind of struggling and with that Cally could have risked being rejected, thereby wasting all her possible opportunities for a safe future.
Therefore it is wise to remain silent.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*
 
http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lurena
Lorna wrote:
Love the drawing of Cally. You really capture her expression.

Thank you so much for your appreciation Lorna!
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*
 
http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Elena Conway
Let's face it, Cally really needed a boyfriend, then maybe she wouldn't have gotten possessed all the time!
 
One Spare Part
But do you think Cally would have spoken more openly about her skills if she hadn't been *alone*?
I doubt that, actually.


But we do find out more when we go to Auron. She has to explain things and is happy to do it. Maybe because the psychic bond is closer with the proximity to her planet, she gains...confidence isn't quite the right word although it is part of it ...assurance? But it could be argued that she was forced into revealing personal matters because of the danger Auron was in. Mmmmm. The more I think of it the more it seems that Cally reveals her "secrets" on a need to know basis. When her skill set is needed she tells them what she can do. Which is quite normal really. I mean Jenna for example might not reveal she had green fingers until they were on a planet being attacked by herbivoral maniacs.
What we needed, in fact, was more Cally time in the series.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
One Spare Part
As for you wonderful drawing of Cally, Lurena: I am drawn to her eyes. You really captured the yearning look Cally would get sometimes. Skills!
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
Lorna
One Spare Part wrote:


What we needed, in fact, was more Cally time in the series.


Oh yes agreed. But I want her as the kick ass rebel!Grin
 
One Spare Part
Lorna wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:


What we needed, in fact, was more Cally time in the series.


Oh yes agreed. But I want her as the kick ass rebel!Grin

I loved her in Shadow. She had great authority and self belief.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
Lurena
Lorna wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:


What we needed, in fact, was more Cally time in the series.


Oh yes agreed. But I want her as the kick ass rebel!Grin

I do second that! (now I need a Cally smiley!)
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*
 
http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lurena
One Spare Part wrote:

As for you wonderful drawing of Cally, Lurena: I am drawn to her eyes. You really captured the yearning look Cally would get sometimes. Skills!

Thank you very much One Spare Part! That means a lot to me and supports me in continuing to draw and perfect my skill.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*
 
http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lurena
One Spare Part wrote:

Mmmmm. The more I think of it the more it seems that Cally reveals her "secrets" on a need to know basis. When her skill set is needed she tells them what she can do. Which is quite normal really. I mean Jenna for example might not reveal she had green fingers until they were on a planet being attacked by herbivoral maniacs.

That's quite right, yes.
Apart from what you say about Jenna, it is what a trained warrior would do; only when the need forces it, you reveal the necessary information in order to be able to complete your action.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*
 
http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Lurena
What is always surprising is that the same colloquial language seems to be used throughout the B7 universe.
(I know,of course, that was done to make the stories not long-winded, or even impossible.)

Yet the question arises as to why Cally did not initially keep her one-way traffic telepathic skill - from her to Blake - a secret.

I have my thoughts on that. I like to delve deeper into things that weren't really meant to be deep. In other words, I take it a little too seriously, but that's my pleasure and hopefully you'd like to share that with me now and then.

She may have had to assess which language to use. By making mental contact and combining Blake's answers, was she able to make her choice to speak “normally”?
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*
 
http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Moon Disk


This is beautiful. Exceptional work.

I've always wondered if Cally could read minds but kept it under wraps. There's a couple of times where she *appears* to know what Avon is up to - I'm think Hostage - although whether that is mind reading or intuition is debatable.

If she could read minds, it's the sort of thing I think she would keep a secret for the sake of being accepted by the others. Having someone who could access their thoughts might have made them uncomfortable - definitely in Avon's case, I would have thought. It might be interesting to speculate whether the Auronar had developed a code of ethics in that respect when dealing with non-telepaths.

One Spare Part wrote:

What we needed, in fact, was more Cally time in the series.


Amen to that. Less of the being taken over cliche and more action. I notice in some of the Big Finish stories, Cally does get more of an active role. Is it MINDSET where she gives Avon orders? About time too, I say!
 
BradPaula
First of all, Lurena, you drew a very lovely rendition of Cally. I think I can speak for the rest of this fandom in that you are one very talented artist. But back to Cally. You know, the character of Cally got such a huge send off in the first episode we see her. She's confident, witty and can hold her own with all three of the men from Liberator, even to the point of sparring with Vila, Avon and pushing Blake down a rocky hillside! She leads them to the communications complex and pretty much takes over until Blake gets his breath back and starts issuing orders to Gan to literally yank out the comunications cypher machine! One would think, we got a very experienced rebel here, but before long, she is relagated to being taken over by alien influences each week, being the 'soul' of the team and minding the teleport. I take this to not be because she was not a strong character, but because of the time it was written and filmed. The role of women had been changing by the late 70's but somehow, the mostly maie writers for the series didn't pick op on the idea of a very strong woman. Sure, we had Servalan, and she was a mould breaker and destroyer of the glass ceiling, but somehow Cally was left behind, I have to say, Jenna too was a very strong character but quite often she too got relegated to Hoovering the flight deck and minding the teleport. Such was the time.

It was obvious, and it has been explored in many of the Big Finish discs, that Cally was capable, highly trained, and ready to use those traits to as someone said earlier, kick ass. But before long she got watered down as a character and I think it was a huge waste of effort. You can hope in a television series to see positive changes in the characters as time passes, but in the case of Jenna, Cally- the writers fell back on the idea of a cringing woman, stood atop of a chair screaming because a mouse was scampering about! Typical 50's sit-com stuff. I guess we should be glad they handled the character of Servalan so well. It had originally been planned to give the part to a man but the casting of Jacks sure made the difference in the series. And we should not lose perspective in the fact that both Dayna and later Soolin were quite touch characters and in some ways fared better than Cally had.

It all comes down to wasted potential mostly in the writing. I am glad that so many fan fictions I've read has restored Cally's rebel leanings so well. We can't change the series but with Big Finish and fan fiction we can give Cally the rebel life she should have had in the series.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.
 
Lorna
BradPaula wrote:

First of all, Lurena, you drew a very lovely rendition of Cally. I think I can speak for the rest of this fandom in that you are one very talented artist. But back to Cally. You know, the character of Cally got such a huge send off in the first episode we see her. She's confident, witty and can hold her own with all three of the men from Liberator, even to the point of sparring with Vila, Avon and pushing Blake down a rocky hillside! She leads them to the communications complex and pretty much takes over until Blake gets his breath back and starts issuing orders to Gan to literally yank out the comunications cypher machine! One would think, we got a very experienced rebel here, but before long, she is relagated to being taken over by alien influences each week, being the 'soul' of the team and minding the teleport. I take this to not be because she was not a strong character, but because of the time it was written and filmed. The role of women had been changing by the late 70's but somehow, the mostly maie writers for the series didn't pick op on the idea of a very strong woman. Sure, we had Servalan, and she was a mould breaker and destroyer of the glass ceiling, but somehow Cally was left behind, I have to say, Jenna too was a very strong character but quite often she too got relegated to Hoovering the flight deck and minding the teleport. Such was the time.

It was obvious, and it has been explored in many of the Big Finish discs, that Cally was capable, highly trained, and ready to use those traits to as someone said earlier, kick ass. But before long she got watered down as a character and I think it was a huge waste of effort. You can hope in a television series to see positive changes in the characters as time passes, but in the case of Jenna, Cally- the writers fell back on the idea of a cringing woman, stood atop of a chair screaming because a mouse was scampering about! Typical 50's sit-com stuff. I guess we should be glad they handled the character of Servalan so well. It had originally been planned to give the part to a man but the casting of Jacks sure made the difference in the series. And we should not lose perspective in the fact that both Dayna and later Soolin were quite touch characters and in some ways fared better than Cally had.

It all comes down to wasted potential mostly in the writing. I am glad that so many fan fictions I've read has restored Cally's rebel leanings so well. We can't change the series but with Big Finish and fan fiction we can give Cally the rebel life she should have had in the series.


Well said Paula. You express what I think about Cally but much better than I ever could. The image I have of Cally is in the photo with Lurena's drawing wearing the "fighter's outfit". I know Time Squad is not everyone's favourite episode but is is one of mine mainly beacuse of Cally.
 
One Spare Part
Totally agree Paula. The glimpses we see of the Cally we all know is in there can be seen but they are touches, tantaslising and frustrating in equal measure. Her intro in Time Squad; her fighting stance in Shadow and in her revelation that it was she who suggested Blake's next target, daring the displeasure of Jenna & co. Thank goodness, as Paula says, for BF bringingus stories to expand Cally's story.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."
 
Lurena
Thank you, Moon Disk and Paula, for your kind words regarding my illustration and posting your opinion on the scriptwriters' interpretation of Cally's role. In particular for Paula's extended and well written post.

Of course I am also very happy with the productions of big finish in which Cally gets the attention that the character deserves!

I take this to not be because she was not a strong character, but because of the time it was written and filmed. The role of women had been changing by the late 70's but somehow, the mostly maie writers for the series didn't pick op on the idea of a very strong woman.


As for the role of women in film and TV series in the days before the late 1970s, I'm not so sure. It is indeed a striking phenomenon; perhaps that was prevalent in the Western film and TV industry? In the continent of my origins, heroic female roles were a normal phenomenon in theatre and film.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*
 
http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.62 seconds
33,151,784 unique visits since 8th January 2014