Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,283
· Newest Rebel: Cathy Turland

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [43 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [14 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 202
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Avons Love Life....
Elena Conway
Hello!
I'm just curious (and nosy, hahaha) as to Avons love life? In sure there cant have been just Anna bloody Grant, and he does not strike me as the celibate type either, so any thoughts?

JustBrad
While we will never know, but based on what we see, I suspect that for Avon, there was only ever Anna. He is not an easy man to get to know, or to like. And then there is this exchange, in the man's own words.

Anna: ...it's been a long time, I suppose there's someone else, is that it? Is there someone else, Avon?

Avon: No, no, there's no one else.
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Avon's weakness seems to be flattery, so maybe that's what Anna exploited? And it's worth remembering in this context that Avna - or are we calling it Anvon? - might not have been a reciprocal relationship if she was playing him as an agent of Federation security, so likely saying what he wanted to hear without the need for sincerity that should underpin a genuine romance.

bob79519
I've always thought Avon and Cally had a secret relationship

Elena Conway
I still maintain Avon and Cally had a thing going on......

BradPaula
And don't forget the Avon-Servalan relationship, strange, though it is.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

M1795537 OC Virn
BradPaula wrote:

And don't forget the Avon-Servalan relationship, strange, though it is.

It's the only one that makes any sense.
You're not sulking, I hope?

Obsidian
Avon clearly likes women and, presumably, knew he was attractive to numbers of them, but as Paul has said, he treated them like equals. I think the character assesses what stance to take with each of them as he encounters them, as he would anyone else, that's even taking into account the differences introduced by each writer. Paul, the actor, pulls them into one thread.

Avon has a big 'thing' for Anna because, one would assume, she understood him on enough levels, from studying his file, becoming intimate with him and then falling for him, even if he didn't tell her what he was thinking. I have that trouble with my bloke and we've been together for nearly 30 years! Grin

Avon gets on with Cally because she's practical, intelligent and then fascinating in her own way, as an alien, and she doesn't counter him the same way the others do.

He has a fascination with Servalan because she is powerful and they both use their attractiveness as an element of powerplay where necessary. It's almost what in anthropology would be called a joking relationship, where there is a level of familiarity which is almost expected of two equals but where they circle each other. Avon maintains the appropriate level of familiarity but she attempts to manipulate it. He is appropriately wary.

Avon is tender and kind to Meegat because it's what she needs and he doesn't aim to dissuade her from her beliefs; he snogs Pella because he knows it will get up her nose big time; Jenna is Jenna and they spark off each other; he bashes Sara because anyone would; he shows he's human by ogling the bosom of the scantily-clad woman on the Space Princess etc.

But Anna was still the love of his life.
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron!GrinFrown

http://www.etsy.com/au/shop/SeraglioDesigns
Ulera
There was only one true relationship in the series - Avon/Cally. The other suggestions are just fanfic!

Elena Conway
"he shows he's human by ogling the bosom of the scantily-clad woman on the Space Princess etc."
Eh???? I dont remember that??? When did that happen?

Lee Bagnall
Wasn't it Tarrant that did that?
"Seldon, Janov. Space Commander. Alpha 14922. Name, rank and serial number. That's all you're getting!"

Joe Dredd
No, it was certainly Avon. We see a blonde lady passenger in a blue outfit walking around the corridor several times. At one point she passes Avon as he walks up the corridor towards the camera and she heads away from us. As they pass his eyes flick in the direction of her decolletage. But is this Avon playing at being a passenger, as Tarrant does, or is it a case of traction beam shoulder pads?

This is the lady (though talking to Tarrant in this pic): Click!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Joe Dredd wrote:

No, it was certainly Avon. We see a blonde lady passenger in a blue outfit walking around the corridor several times. At one point she passes Avon as he walks up the corridor towards the camera and she heads away from us. As they pass his eyes flick in the direction of her dťcolletage. But is this Avon playing at being a passenger, as Tarrant does, or is it a case of traction beam shoulder pads?

I'm inclined to agree JD, though it probably says more about the era of production, rather than Avon as a character, that objectifying behaviour would be perceived as a way of 'fitting in' and my take is that Avon is trying to match Tarrant's personality so they don't appear too different to each other and draw attention. Avon would see Tarrant as a bit of a charmer, but he was never one himself.

Joe Dredd
It's a bit after the 24' mark, when Avon asks to see the purser.

This is about as good as I can do at this late hour, but it gives you a rough idea.

i.imgur.com/1HJa8oB.png

Elena Conway
Ahhh I see.....yeah hes definitely interested in her "knowledge" all right.....like I said in my post, I would never put Avon down as a celibate type......hes a ladies man alrite

GanMiniMe
He completely checks her out!!!

Personally, I love the ambiguity surrounding his love life. I know many people are convinced about him and Cally, but the fact that it is never explicitly spelled out and confirmed as an active romantic/intimate relationship leaves lots of room for speculation on either side.

I love it when TV writers are willing to leave some of these things open to our interpretation. This is the hallmark of many a good writer, in my opinion.

Spaceship Dispatcher
GanMiniMe wrote:

I know many people are convinced about him and Cally, but the fact that it is never explicitly spelled out and confirmed as an active romantic/intimate relationship leaves lots of room for speculation on either side.

I love it when TV writers are willing to leave some of these things open to our interpretation. This is the hallmark of many a good writer, in my opinion.

Agree completely about the correlation between ambiguity and good writing. Personally, I'm in the 'no' camp regarding Avon/Cally, having watched the show on and off for several years and read various views on the topic. I just don't see any chemistry or attraction between them, intentional or otherwise. Respect, yes, but only in as far as Avon is a higher Grade member of society and demonstrates respect as a skill, whether he really feels it or not, and Cally because respect for all life, including Moon Disks, is a cultural quality.

JustBrad
Joe Dredd wrote:

It's a bit after the 24' mark, when Avon asks to see the purser.

This is about as good as I can do at this late hour, but it gives you a rough idea.

i.imgur.com/1HJa8oB.png

That's not Avon, that's a very rare case of Paul breaking character. Not that I blame him.
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

Spaceship Dispatcher
JustBrad wrote:

That's not Avon, that's a very rare case of Paul breaking character. Not that I blame him.

I would have said that Paul Darrow was too professional to be 'caught on camera' doing anything that was not intentional, even with limited recording time.

GanMiniMe
In fairness, as with some of Servalanís outfits... pretty difficult not to ogle. Iíve found myself staring a time or two and Iím not even that way inclined..!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.48 seconds
33,152,702 unique visits since 8th January 2014