Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,294
· Newest Rebel: jds12

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Terry Nation's Survivors
AvonGirl
This is another series I've gotten into recently. Brilliant series and it really makes you think about if you could cope in such a situation. Even scarier to watch given the Covid pandemic.

Any other fans here? Terry sure had a knack for great character writing and for making you feel you're right there with the characters.

I think the series is so scary and it really makes me think how powerless we would be if something on the scale seen in the series happened today. As someone from a younger generation who has grown up in a more technology/electricity reliant society, I shudder to think how we would cope should the Survivors scenario ever occur now. Would you know how to make the items you need to survive from scratch? Could you ensure you survive and cope without electricity, water, heat etc?

I get that this would have been terrifying when it originally aired, but I'd be willing to bet that many people in the audience in the 1970's would have more experience of living in a way that meant they were not reliant on modern technology and home comforts. So maybe some aspects of the series didn't strike as much fear into them as it does to someone from my generation.

My favourite characters are Greg, Charles, and Jenny.
Edited by AvonGirl on 10 March 2021 13:58:12
"I want to be free...of him."

littlesue
AvonGirl wrote:

This is another series I've gotten into recently. Brilliant series and it really makes you think about if you could cope in such a situation. Even scarier to watch given the Covid pandemic.

Any other fans here? Terry sure had a knack for great character writing and for making you feel you're right there with the characters.

I think the series is so scary and it really makes me think how powerless we would be if something on the scale seen in the series happened today. As someone from a younger generation who has grown up in a more technology/electricity reliant society, I shudder to think how we would cope should the Survivors scenario ever occur now. Would you know how to make the items you need to survive from scratch? Could you ensure you survive and cope without electricity, water, heat etc?

I get that this would have been terrifying when it originally aired, but I'd be willing to bet that many people in the audience in the 1970's would have more experience of living in a way that meant they were not reliant on modern technology and home comforts. So maybe some aspects of the series didn't strike as much fear into them as it does to someone from my generation.

My favourite characters are Greg, Charles, and Lucy.

Strangely enough, when this covid thing started (looking for patient zero who had flown in from China) a lot of us thought about the opening title sequence of The Survivors.
It was because of the Survivors, plus all the other Terry Nation episodes that I had seen since we got our TV in 1963, that I sat down to watch B7. I think the first Mr Nation script I watched was the Dr Who Dalek one.
I said to Mr D at the Cult Event back in 2012 or 13, that every time I saw Terry Nation as the writer on any show I knew it was going to be good. And he agreed.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

rojkerr1
love the show, have three of the video cover paintings, two lucy one greg, and the skull spine. One from each series. Last laughh and mad dog, little learning are my faves. love the new big finish audios, and the novels...poor abbey!

AvonGirl
littlesue wrote:

AvonGirl wrote:

Strangely enough, when this covid thing started (looking for patient zero who had flown in from China) a lot of us thought about the opening title sequence of The Survivors.
It was because of the Survivors, plus all the other Terry Nation episodes that I had seen since we got our TV in 1963, that I sat down to watch B7. I think the first Mr Nation script I watched was the Dr Who Dalek one.
I said to Mr D at the Cult Event back in 2012 or 13, that every time I saw Terry Nation as the writer on any show I knew it was going to be good. And he agreed.

I started watching it last year and found it really uncomfortable viewing because of Covid. Glad it's not just me thinking that! Completely agree with you and Paul D about Terry Nation. How great that this is what encouraged you to check out B7 when it aired.

AvonGirl
rojkerr1 wrote:

love the show, have three of the video cover paintings, two lucy one greg, and the skull spine. One from each series. Last laughh and mad dog, little learning are my faves. love the new big finish audios, and the novels...poor abbey!

How cool! Didn't know there more audio adventures or novels for this. Will have to check them out. Shame Abbey left and we didn't get to see her at least once more later in the series.

littlesue
AvonGirl wrote:

littlesue wrote:

AvonGirl wrote:

I started watching it last year and found it really uncomfortable viewing because of Covid. Glad it's not just me thinking that! Completely agree with you and Paul D about Terry Nation. How great that this is what encouraged you to check out B7 when it aired.

And also my dear, late friend Julie, excitedly coming round my house in Dec 1977 with the double issue of the Radio Times, saying there's a new show by that Terry Nation!!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

One Spare Part
I love Survivors but it is hardcore. I rewatched it a few years back and it got me so depressed I vowed never to watch it again. Mind you, I vowed never to watch Blake again after the original airing but rewatching here has completely changed my thinking on that episode. So maybe I should never say never again.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

AvonGirl
One Spare Part wrote:

I love Survivors but it is hardcore. I rewatched it a few years back and it got me so depressed I vowed never to watch it again. Mind you, I vowed never to watch Blake again after the original airing but rewatching here has completely changed my thinking on that episode. So maybe I should never say never again.

Wink I hear ya! Apart from a few episodes Survivors really isn't the sort of series you can keep dipping into on a regular basis.

Lee Bagnall
I watched it when it was on UK Gold in the early 90s but whilst it was interesting to start with, it rapidly descended into a post apocalyptic Emmerdale. TBH, it's really just a retread of Day of the Triffids sans the weeds. I never watched the remake as I knew it would be terrible.
Edited by Lee Bagnall on 13 March 2021 23:12:24
"Seldon, Janov. Space Commander. Alpha 14922. Name, rank and serial number. That's all you're getting!"

trevor travis
My review of the series on Horizon in 2013... complete with Og heads out of ten for each episode:

http://www.blakes...read_id=78

trevor travis
Survivors is quite wonderful, although the first season is definitely the strongest of the three, before the departure of both Terry Nation and Carolyn Seymour.

I recommended Terry's book!

AvonGirl
trevor travis wrote:

Survivors is quite wonderful, although the first season is definitely the strongest of the three, before the departure of both Terry Nation and Carolyn Seymour.

Cheers, Trevor, I will look for the book. Real shame Carolyn left. Loved the bond between her, Greg and Jenny.

Travisina
AvonGirl wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Cheers, Trevor, I will look for the book. Real shame Carolyn left. Loved the bond between her, Greg and Jenny.

Coming soon from Big Finish! Survivor: Carolyn Seymour in Conversation
And their audio series is here: BF Survivors
-
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

sweevo
Personally, I never got the love or vibe for Survivors (partly because I saw the remake first). It's just one of those shows that didn't really click with me (even less so now, considering what the world is up against).

Spaceship Dispatcher
I loved the show on first viewing (on DVD that is, not first broadcast) but really could not get into it on rewatch. The first and third seasons impressed me the most overall, especially the very last episode, but my favourite individual story from the whole show is actually from season two, the Lights of London two-parter with Sydney Tafler as the leader of the inner city community, Roger Lloyd Pack, Wendy Williams, Nadim Sawalha and so on.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 11 March 2021 23:09:09

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

I loved the show on first viewing (on DVD that is, not first broadcast) but really could not get into it on rewatch. The first and third impressed me the most overall, especially the very last episode, but my favourite individual story from the whole show is actually from season two, the Lights of London two-parter with Sydney Tafler as the leader of the inner city community, Roger Lloyd Pack, Wendy Williams, Nadim Sawalha and so on.

Part 2 just made my top ten:

Top 16 episodes:
1. Law And Order (1:9)
2. Greater Love (2:2)
3. The Fourth Horseman (1:1)
4. Garland's War (1:6)
5. Mad Dog (3:4)
6. The Last Laugh (3:10)
7. Something Of Value (1:12)
8. Corn Dolly (1:4)
9. Parasites (2:10)
10. Lights Of London Part 2 (2:4)
11. Genesis (1:2)
12. Law Of The Jungle (3:3)
13. Gone To The Angels (1:5)
14. Revenge (1:11)
15. Spoil Of War (1:8)
16. The Chosen (2:9)

I think the above definitely gives away which season I like the most Grin Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
It's too long since I last watched them all to put these in exact order of preference, but this is my top 10 stories (not episodes, as Lights of London was a two-parter) in broadcast order:

The Fourth Horseman
Genesis
Garland's War
Law & Order
Lights of London
The Chosen
Manhunt
Law of the Jungle
The Peacemaker
Power

Tyce
Great SF minds think alike. I started rewatching this a week ago, so the timing of this thread is great. I was sad that I missed Survivors the first time around but in the end this was good because I ended up watching the remake first and the original second....And because I had nothing to compare the remake too I actually liked it a lot. I love the original of course but I really like the remake also.

The original and the remake are both very different. They start off similar but then take different paths (I believe this is because of a copyright issue). I think after experiencing the end of the world the 'back to nature' theme of the original is very 70's and the 'let's get the badies' theme of the remake is more noughties. So eventhough the remake had to go that way due to copyright it probably was more tailored to the audience.

I know a lot of people dont like the remake but I wish it had lasted through a 3rd series. I think it would have made more sense with a 3rd series and would have a better following.

BTW, yes I agree it's very depressing (the original in particular) I find it very hard to watch sometimes and have to be in the mood for it.

rojkerr1
love series 3 best, uneven but all my fave stories, never watch power, too much Mr Dudley! insisting on the lights coming back on, and most of the highlanders surviving? Nonsense. And it was cruel to give Mad Dog to charles instead of greg as originally planned, tho it is still a classic story

Spaceship Dispatcher
Tyce wrote:

Great SF minds think alike. I started rewatching this a week ago, so the timing of this thread is great. I was sad that I missed Survivors the first time around but in the end this was good because I ended up watching the remake first and the original second....And because I had nothing to compare the remake too I actually liked it a lot. I love the original of course but I really like the remake also.

The original and the remake are both very different. They start off similar but then take different paths (I believe this is because of a copyright issue). I think after experiencing the end of the world the 'back to nature' theme of the original is very 70's and the 'let's get the badies' theme of the remake is more noughties. So eventhough the remake had to go that way due to copyright it probably was more tailored to the audience.

I watched all of the original before seeing the new series and actually like the new series better, but it follows such a completely different story line that it was never really fair to call it a remake. As far as I recall, it was never billed as such by the broadcaster and really owes more to Terry Nation's novel, which is also nothing like his television version and therefore not really a novelisation.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.57 seconds
35,160,181 unique visits since 8th January 2014