Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,288
· Newest Rebel: Blake316

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Feet of Clay - 1st April 2021
Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I loved the gradual outing of Cheery, sorry, Cheri Littlebottom as a female, and her friendship with Angua.
Decades before all the Trans stuff going on now, Pratchett wrote about the process with such warmth, sympathy and gentle humour.

And not in such a way that you notice. He makes a point without appearing to do so. Clever.

Superb writing.
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

M1795537 OC Virn
Doesn't Wee Mad Arthur get outed as one of - or closely related to - the Wee Free Men in some later book? He's a great prototype for the species, and well worth using again/developing further, as in the Tiffany books.
You're not sulking, I hope?

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

I love the way the City Watch has evolved, from Dixon of Dock Green to The Bill and now Hill Street Blues.

I’ve never seen Hill Street Blues.

Think 'The Bill', but set in New York.
My views are my own.

AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

And the Golems! Inspired to have them talk (or rather, write) in a classical Hebrew font.
Some of their names were Yiddish ('Shmata' means rag, but is also used to mean a posh frock: "I love your evening dress, Mrs Cohen." "What, this old shmata? I've had it for years" )

The graffiti argument is brilliant!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Doesn't Wee Mad Arthur get outed as one of - or closely related to - the Wee Free Men in some later book? He's a great prototype for the species, and well worth using again/developing further, as in the Tiffany books.

I don't remember his being outed, but I DEFINITELY thought he was one of the Wee Free, or a close relation.
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
I like the Golems. I admit there’s something vaguely appealing about having something written put in my head and just following that, not having to think about anything else, though...

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

I like the Golems. I admit there’s something vaguely appealing about having something written put in my head and just following that, not having to think about anything else, though...

And with his subtle brilliance, Pratchett uses them to convey quite a lot of the Jewish experience - having to take time off for Holy Days (starting at sundown), being despised for no good reason...
My views are my own.

M1795537 OC Virn
Maybe that sort of creature is a necessary part of an evolving society: Discworld has Golems, B7 has its mutoids. We have Civil Servants....

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Maybe that sort of creature is a necessary part of an evolving society: Discworld has Golems, B7 has its mutoids. We have Civil Servants....

Ah, is that why I’m not very good at it? Because I still think?

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

And with his subtle brilliance, Pratchett uses them to convey quite a lot of the Jewish experience - having to take time off for Holy Days (starting at sundown), being despised for no good reason...

Thanks for pointing that out. Of course !

Travisina
Back to the murder mystery - I loved Pratchett's sly dig about Sherlock Holmes and Clues.
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
Travisina, you have reminded me, talking about Jewish things. Do the big furry hats that a lot of the Orthodox people wear have a proper name? I walked through Stamford Hill on a Saturday a while ago. They’re very eye-catching!

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Grin
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

Back to the murder mystery - I loved Pratchett's sly dig about Sherlock Holmes and Clues.

I liked the murder mystery element, generally. Nothing like a good murder...

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina, you have reminded me, talking about Jewish things. Do the big furry hats that a lot of the Orthodox people wear have a proper name? I walked through Stamford Hill on a Saturday a while ago. They’re very eye-catching!

Yes indeed, it's called a Shtreimel. Different communities have different styles - some taller, some more saucer-shaped.
My views are my own.

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

I wouldn't have said 'sly'. Pretty bloomin' obvious he's taking a swipe at it! But yes, neatly done. Presumably Pratchett did his research and talked to real policemen/detectives about how the job works. I.E. mostly waiting for someone to give them the information. Or confessing, Like Dun it Duncan.

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

It really had everything, this book. Murder mystery, suspense, action, slapstick humour (Colon and the cows!), romance, friendship.
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Yes indeed, it's called a Shtreimel. Different communities have different styles - some taller, some more saucer-shaped.

I thought they must do. Thank you. I shall add that to my collection of obscure information, so I can sound clever if anyone ever asks me...

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

It really had everything, this book. Murder mystery, suspense, action, slapstick humour (Colon and the cows!), romance, friendship.

Yes, I enjoyed this one. Although the truth of some of the observations still made me want to take my frying pan to the world at times!

M1795537 OC Virn
Why did the Golems want a king anyway?
Idea: Was that another Jewish thing, like the Israelites telling Samuel they wanted King Saul so they'd be' like the other nations'?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.63 seconds
34,093,570 unique visits since 8th January 2014