Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,288
· Newest Rebel: Blake316

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: Feet of Clay - 1st April 2021
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Having seen this month's ficlet prompts I'm expecting one from you, Stormy about the time they had an actual elephant on the Liberator....

Travsina - this is how you stop a toilet from leaking....maybe if you asked Stormy nicely she'd give you her plumber's number.

I don't think I could afford his train fare!
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

M1795537 OC Virn
Look at that, a whole page and we haven't mentioned Pratchett once!
You're not sulking, I hope?

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Hi both!

Stormy, Magnus is an EXCELLENT name for a puppy! We have a cuddly monkey by the same name. What kind is he?

Hes- wait for it- a cross between a Belgian sheepdog and a hairy whippet. Needless to say, an unintentional one. Hes a nice little chap, though, when hes not bent on destroying the house!

Sounds gorgeous. Please bring him with you next time you venture south?

Hes allowed out in a fortnight. Im sure hed like to sniff his way round that walk weve promised to do!

Hurrah!
My views are my own.

AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Shall we start now?

I loved Feet of Clay. So much warmth and diverse humanity / trollanity / werewolfanity / dwarfanity and especially the Golems.
My views are my own.

Travisina
I love the way the City Watch has evolved, from Dixon of Dock Green to The Bill and now Hill Street Blues.
My views are my own.

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Shall we start now?

I loved Feet of Clay. So much warmth and diverse humanity / trollanity / werewolfanity / dwarfanity and especially the Golems.

Having read the book to him, my husband now refers to all seeded/granary/sourdough bread as Dwarf Bread.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

I love the way the City Watch has evolved, from Dixon of Dock Green to The Bill and now Hill Street Blues.

Ive never seen Hill Street Blues.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Shall we start now?

Having read the book to him, my husband now refers to all seeded/granary/sourdough bread as Dwarf Bread.

GrinGrin

Travisina
Plus it's a cleverly constructed whodunnit (or who's trying to dunnit). I did suspect the wallpaper (arsenic in green wallpaper was very much a thing in Victorian times), and was pleased to be proved wrong.
My views are my own.

M1795537 OC Virn
Favourite bit: probably when they had problems getting Dorfl to take the oath as a Watchman and were distracted into various existential arguments...

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Shall we start now?

Is it weapons grade? Grin
My views are my own.

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

Plus it's a cleverly constructed whodunnit (or who's trying to dunnit). I did suspect the wallpaper (arsenic in green wallpaper was very much a thing in Victorian times), and was pleased to be proved wrong.

Yes, Pratchett would know people had heard about Napoleon's poisonous wallpaper, and used it to lead us up the wrong path. The poisoned light is a brilliant concept.
Also love the description of Cockbill Street people. Totally accurate.

Travisina
I loved the gradual outing of Cheery, sorry, Cheri Littlebottom as a female, and her friendship with Angua.
Decades before all the Trans stuff going on now, Pratchett wrote about the process with such warmth, sympathy and gentle humour.
My views are my own.

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Shall we start now?

Is it weapons grade? Grin

Depends who makes it!

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

Moral: dont lick the wallpaper, just in case. I guessed, though, eventually.
There was a kid killed by eating a hat decoration once. It was coloured green with arsenic.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Yes, Pratchett would know people had heard about Napoleon's poisonous wallpaper, and used it to lead us up the wrong path. The poisoned light is a brilliant concept.

All the people were spot on - the Cockbill Street folks, the nobs and ladies, those involved in political machinations, the various members of the Watch.
My views are my own.

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

I loved the gradual outing of Cheery, sorry, Cheri Littlebottom as a female, and her friendship with Angua.
Decades before all the Trans stuff going on now, Pratchett wrote about the process with such warmth, sympathy and gentle humour.

I get the feeling that it was almost as much a surprise to Cheri as anyone else. Vimes' reaction to her is very much in character for him.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

And not in such a way that you notice. He makes a point without appearing to do so. Clever.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

All the people were spot on - the Cockbill Street folks, the nobs and ladies, those involved in political machinations, the various members of the Watch.

Just shows. People are people, even when theyre living on the back of a giant turtle.

Travisina
And the Golems! Inspired to have them talk (or rather, write) in a classical Hebrew font.
Some of their names were Yiddish ('Shmata' means rag, but is also used to mean a posh frock: "I love your evening dress, Mrs Cohen." "What, this old shmata? I've had it for years" )
My views are my own.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.60 seconds
34,093,046 unique visits since 8th January 2014