Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,278
· Newest Rebel: Frankymole2

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [43 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [28 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [14 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [25 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 200
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Avon and Cally
AvonGirl
Hi everyone. I'm Maddy and I just joined today. Got into Blake's 7 recently and have been desperate to talk about it with others.

One of the things I've loved most about the series is the dynamic between Cally and Avon. The way they look at each other and how Avon softens when he is around her has me convinced there is something going on between them. This friendship/possible secret romance is most evident I think in season 3.

Does anyone know if Paul and Jan were directed to act as if the characters were having a relationship? Or if they had just worked a story out between themselves and decided to play it like that? Or is it just a coincidence and a happy accident how they both performed in shared scenes?

I wish the writers had actually officially put them together. I guess we'll just have to settle for the episode Sarcophagus. LOL
"I want to be free...of him."

Travisina
Sarcophagus is one of my fave episodes... but there are little clues and moments from as early on as The Web and Mission to Destiny.
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

bob79519
I've always though Avon and Cally had a secret relationship to avoid judgement from the others.

AvonGirl
Travisina wrote:

Sarcophagus is one of my fave episodes... but there are little clues and moments from as early on as The Web and Mission to Destiny.

Oh absolutely there's something between them right from the start. So many lovely moments between them in that episode. Love when he goes to check in on her in her quarters. Love that look between them at the end too.

AvonGirl
bob79519 wrote:

I've always though Avon and Cally had a secret relationship to avoid judgement from the others.

That's a good point and I think you're on to something there. Although I think the others might have guessed give comments that are made lol.

JustBrad
I think the torch Avon was carrying for Anna prevented anything more than mutual respect and friendship, and, alas, shortly after Anna is gone, so is Cally.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

AvonGirl
JustBrad wrote:

I think the torch Avon was carrying for Anna prevented anything more than mutual respect and friendship, and, alas, shortly after Anna is gone, so is Cally.

Poor guy was so messed up by Anna(twice!). I think Cally's death was the last straw and broke him. He gets pretty unhinged in season 4.

JustBrad
AvonGirl wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Poor guy was so messed up by Anna(twice!). I think Cally's death was the last straw and broke him. He gets pretty unhinged in season 4.

And the other side of that coin is Cally. I'm not sure she would want anyone who isn't a telepath.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

AvonGirl
JustBrad wrote:

AvonGirl wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

And the other side of that coin is Cally. I'm not sure she would want anyone who isn't a telepath.

Possibly. It does make you think how isolated she must have felt out of all of them being the only one of her kind and being on her own so long.

trevor travis
I always think after the events of Sarcophagus, that they got together by the time of Moloch and Death-Watch.

Moon Disk
JustBrad wrote:

AvonGirl wrote:

JustBrad wrote:

Yes to all of this. Avon is too screwed up and Cally too sensible.

Friends, definitely, although how far that goes on Avon's side is debateable - I'm thinking Ultraworld where he takes some convincing from Tarrant (of all people!) to go and rescue her - and certainly they work well together, as in City.

Lovers? I wouldn't have thought so. Unless - and this is something someone suggested elsewhere that I thought might be a possibility - they explored something early on (and again how far that might have gone is up for debate), came to the conclusion it wouldn't work and ended up as friends instead.

Lurena
In my imagination, Avon and Cally do not have a love affair but a kind of mutual understanding and, moreover, they seem to share a secret.
Avon may have discovered with his sharp mind that Cally did not want to be entirely candid about her telepathic gift. (see their interaction on their first meeting in Time Squad) Guerilla experienced Cally had good reason not to release everything of herself.
At some point there is a discussion about whether Cally can read other people's mind, on which there is no clear confirmation and the possibility is kept open.
Later in Sarcophagus, Cally and Avon seem to have a mutual contact, perhaps emotionally bound telepathy, which could be proof that Cally is able to read other people's mind.
Avon keeps this information wisely to himself. He protects Cally, probably not least because it might be useful for his survival strategy.
You may differ opinion of course.
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories and *my PD as Kerr Avon Tribute*
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
AvonGirl
Lurena wrote:

In my imagination, Avon and Cally do not have a love affair but a kind of mutual understanding and, moreover, they seem to share a secret.
Avon may have discovered with his sharp mind that Cally did not want to be entirely candid about her telepathic gift. (see their interaction on their first meeting in Time Squad) Guerilla experienced Cally had good reason not to release everything of herself.
At some point there is a discussion about whether Cally can read other people's mind, on which there is no clear confirmation and the possibility is kept open.
Later in Sarcophagus, Cally and Avon seem to have a mutual contact, perhaps emotionally bound telepathy, which could be proof that Cally is able to read other people's mind.
Avon keeps this information wisely to himself. He protects Cally, probably not least because it might be useful for his survival strategy.
You may differ opinion of course.

That's a really interesting possibility about the emotionally bound telepathy. I like that idea. While not all of us may agree that they were romantically involved, I think we'd all agree there's definitely something between them and it's there to be seen throughout the series.

ClareGC
Avon: "Not enough! Not nearly enough! Dammit, what weighs seventy kilos?"
Orac: "Vila weighs seventy-three kilos, Avon."
Avon: "Vila, are you here? I need your help."

Grade Four Ignorant
I think Paul Darrow and Jan Chappell denied that they ever played Avon and Cally as if there was something going on between them.

For what it's worth, I don't think there was anything but a bit of grudging respect between the two. She was hardly Avon's staunchest ally, but she was someone he could count on in a crisis. Vila was unreliable at best, and he didn't really know Dayna or Tarrant well enough.

Elena Conway
Hi. Everybody! Im new to this so please be patient with me.
I do believe that yes, Avon and Cally were having a romantic relationship during the time on the Liberator. Its not explicity stated but it didnt need to be-some things dont need to made public knowledge especially if you are among Blake and his crew.
To me, it was always obvious, they had the best rapport in the show. I know up untill season 3 Avon was still hung up on Anna Bloody Grant, but dont tell me that he chose to remain celibate! Not a chance! Im guessng that Avon is just as amoral about sex and relationships as he is about money.

BradPaula
Elena Conway wrote:

I do believe that yes, Avon and Cally were having a romantic relationship during the time on the Liberator. Its not explicity stated but it didnt need to be-some things dont need to made public knowledge especially if you are among Blake and his crew.
To me, it was always obvious, they had the best rapport in the show. I know up untill season 3 Avon was still hung up on Anna Bloody Grant, but dont tell me that he chose to remain celibate! Not a chance! Im guessng that Avon is just as amoral about sex and relationships as he is about money.

First off, welcome to Horizon. I happen to agree with your view on the Avon-Cally relationship. In fact I've always felt that way from the very beginning watching the series for the first time in 1985. The idea that Cally didn't tell us her entire abilities regarding telepathy and Avon knowing of them and keeping them secret seems exactly right to me and I always thought you could see flashes of that relationship briefly in scenes throughout the three years the characters were together on screen. It seems to be a moot point however as in my experience, I'd say the fans are around 25% believing they had a romantic life together and 75% saying no. Of course the actors themselves have stated they did not intend for the fans to think they had a romantic relationship but that never stopped an ardent fan from writing his fan fiction!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Moon Disk
Elena Conway wrote:

Hello and welcome!

Bottom line is, if you want to believe they were in a relationship, then they were. In the wonderful world of fiction and fantasy, it's all good and don't let anyone tell you otherwise Smile

Me, I can't see it. Maybe very very early on, and then it fizzled out quickly and they became friends. But by Series 3 - if the sneering contempt in which he holds the Auronar isn't bad enough - and it's a poor state of affairs where Tarrant of all people has to remind Avon that Cally has "full call on your loyalty and support, no matter what the risks" - then his refusal to go and rescue her in Ultraworld - again, Tarrant has to step in - puts the cherry on the cake for me. If it is a romantic relationship, then it's very one-sided, being more on Cally's side than on Avon's, which considering how he acts, doesn't put him in a very good light at all.
Edited by Moon Disk on 28 April 2021 01:27:14

Elena Conway
Avon holds everybody and everything in sneering contempt, why should he different just because Cally might be his Lover? And besides apart from Cally, who is awesome by the way, the Auronar are a pretty flaky bunch of people judging by the way they treated her, so I'm with Avon on this one, Also Avon is not a romantic kind of guy, so while im convinced that him and Cally were having an affair, youd never get him to admit to it, for example in the cellar he told anna grant that there was no one else (while Cally was in earshot ,bad move man) no wonder she looked so pissed at him at the end of the programme but hey its Avon!

Moon Disk
Elena Conway wrote:

Avon holds everybody and everything in sneering contempt, why should he different just because Cally might be his Lover? And besides apart from Cally, who is awesome by the way, the Auronar are a pretty flaky bunch of people judging by the way they treated her, so I'm with Avon on this one, Also Avon is not a romantic kind of guy, so while im convinced that him and Cally were having an affair, youd never get him to admit to it, for example in the cellar he told anna grant that there was no one else (while Cally was in earshot ,bad move man) no wonder she looked so pissed at him at the end of the programme but hey its Avon!

It depends how he treated Anna. I didn't get the 'sneering contempt' in the flashbacks with her in the same way that he talks to Cally. What he says to her is unforgivably rude. Why would Cally, a sensible, tough, intelligent woman, put up with nonsense like that? She finds it hurtful and she tells him so - the "affection for him" line. Quite right too.

It makes me wonder if he knows how she feels about him and is being deliberately offensive to keep her at arm's length.

As for the cellar, if they were in a romantic relationship and he said no one else, well, you would have to say that's how little he values it. Mind you, it's probably not the best time to say: "Actually, there is someone else, Anna. Come and say hello to my latest squeeze." Either they're not in a relationship or Avon really is that crass (which I don't think he is, by the way).

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
32,337,755 unique visits since 8th January 2014