Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,288
· Newest Rebel: Blake316

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Reading Pratchett: The Truth - 22nd October 2020
Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

The Truth is yet aother example of why you lose so much if it's turned into audio. THere's one place where he asks Y/N? How is one supposed to say that?

The joy of Pratchett is the way the words look ON THE PRINTED PAGE. You just can't appreciate his writing if it's turned into any other sort of medium - audio, TV, movie, or stage (apols to Paul Darrow).

And Pratchett USES the printed page in ways other writers don't even think about. Brilliant.

Indeed. Footnotes, and the little writing for the small print in the Disorganiser (great idea at the time, though somewhat dated now. Do young people of today know about electronic organisers?)
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

The Truth is yet aother example of why you lose so much if it's turned into audio. THere's one place where he asks Y/N? How is one supposed to say that?

This is why books and the wireless and television are all so different and the same story so rarely translates identifiably into all three formats, isnít it. And theatreís different again...

Sigh. Oh StormyP, that's what I meant to say above, but much more eloquently put. My wordy-brain shuts down after 7pm.

Itís OK, mine obviously thinks itís still the 1970s, because it only works a three-day week- any more and I retreat into gibberish!

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

The joy of Pratchett is the way the words look ON THE PRINTED PAGE. You just can't appreciate his writing if it's turned into any other sort of medium - audio, TV, movie, or stage (apols to Paul Darrow).

And Pratchett USES the printed page in ways other writers don't even think about. Brilliant.

Indeed. Footnotes, and the little writing for the small print in the Disorganiser (great idea at the time, though somewhat dated now. Do young people of today know about electronic organisers?)

Pratchett might have had fun with something like 'Alexa'in one of his stories, if he was still with us.
You're not sulking, I hope?

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

This is why books and the wireless and television are all so different and the same story so rarely translates identifiably into all three formats, isnít it. And theatreís different again...

Sigh. Oh StormyP, that's what I meant to say above, but much more eloquently put. My wordy-brain shuts down after 7pm.

Itís OK, mine obviously thinks itís still the 1970s, because it only works a three-day week- any more and I retreat into gibberish!

Ha ha!
My views are my own.

AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Pratchett might have had fun with something like 'Alexa'in one of his stories, if he was still with us.

For sure. That would have been great.
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Do I count as young people? Because yes, but my dad worked for Currys, so I couldnít help knowing about electronic everything.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Oh yes!

Travisina
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Do I count as young people? Because yes, but my dad worked for Currys, so I couldnít help knowing about electronic everything.

You kind of do and don't count as young people. Literally, yes - you're a youngling in terms of how many orbits you've made of the sun. But otherwise, you have knowledge and wisdom that surpasses many older than you. Knowing about electronic everything is but one example.
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

You kind of do and don't count as young people. Literally, yes - you're a youngling in terms of how many orbits you've made of the sun. But otherwise, you have knowledge and wisdom that surpasses many older than you. Knowing about electronic everything is but one example.

Blimey, I must be better at bluffing than I thought!

M1795537 OC Virn
Talking of humourously shaped vegetables... my friend the submarine-builder brought us some ENORMOUS veg he's grown on his allotment. Enhanced by fallout from the nuclear power station just up the road, no doubt. The beetroot was about 12" diameter.

Travisina
Back to The Truth (I kept calling it 'The Word', probably thinking of Travis: "The Word, the Word, the Word!" )

Another great array of characters and relationships. Mr & Mr Pin & Tulip were fascinating baddies - especially Tulip. Snorted anything snort-able, an expert on art and uses --ing as an adjective.
And what interesting fates they had post mortem!
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Talking of humourously shaped vegetables... my friend the submarine-builder brought us some ENORMOUS veg he's grown on his allotment. Enhanced by fallout from the nuclear power station just up the road, no doubt. The beetroot was about 12" diameter.

But was it entertainingly shaped? Itís no good just being enormous if it doesnít look like an anatomy lesson for seamstresses!

M1795537 OC Virn
stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

And nosey, no doubt. My dad made paint. With spots in.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Blimey!
My views are my own.

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Spotty paint? Is that how dalmations are coloured in?
My views are my own.

stormypetrel
Travisina wrote:

Back to The Truth (I kept calling it 'The Word', probably thinking of Travis: "The Word, the Word, the Word!" )

Another great array of characters and relationships. Mr & Mr Pin & Tulip were fascinating baddies - especially Tulip. Snorted anything snort-able, an expert on art and uses --ing as an adjective.

I have caught myself saying -ing before now...

M1795537 OC Virn
Travisina wrote:

And you can't say '-ing' either!

stormypetrel
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

stormypetrel wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Travisina wrote:

M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

I wasnít nosey, exactly, just... there. But I am fascinated by the spotty paint, I have to admit. Tell us more!

M1795537 OC Virn
Ok, then, what does the 'dash' sound like? Or are we back to Victor Borge?

Travisina
M1795537 OC Virn wrote:

Ok, then, what does the 'dash' sound like? Or are we back to Victor Borge?

A glottal stop?
My views are my own.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.63 seconds
34,093,402 unique visits since 8th January 2014