Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,308
· Newest Rebel: Rachel_4_Avon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [46 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [30 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [35 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [27 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 209
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Scoring each episode
Travisina
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Most importantly, though, THIS always reminds me of the slave market on Domo:

https://www.youtu...AEUrp2V4ss

Nah, that's the Warlord Alliance!
(I love that song - peak 1970s Eurovision!)

(Someone needs to tell me how to do clickable links on this here forum!)

Okay, this is how to make a clickable link:

1. Highlight it
2. Click on the 'world+arrow' icon under the box (next to the U)
Your link is now clickable.

There's an advanced stage if you want to rename it, eg Genghis Kahn, but it's not necessary.
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

Hugbot
Travisina wrote:

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Most importantly, though, THIS always reminds me of the slave market on Domo:

https://www.youtu...AEUrp2V4ss

Nah, that's the Warlord Alliance!
(I love that song - peak 1970s Eurovision!)

Deary me! And I thought (hoped) it had been mercifully forgotten by now... Shock

On the other hand, in 2003 Ian Anderson recorded Rupi's Dance in former Dschingis Khan member Leslie Mandoki's studio with Mandoki playing percussion on several tracks. At that time I tried to imagine an album called, 'Jethro Tull plays the music of Dschingis Khan'. Although that might have been quite weird...

Cygnus Bazza
One Spare Part wrote:

What about Kiki Dee after a perm*?

That is a quite brilliant shout. (On your other point, some things are probably best left unexplained...)

Thanks, Travisina, for the tutorial! I think even I can do that! And I totally agree - 'Dschinghis Khan' is a nailed-on, watertight, all-time, 24-carat Eurovision classic. And it only finished FOURTH. Absolute travesty... And yep, I'm sure it inspired the Warlord Alliance. Must have. No other rational explanation.

Blimey, Hugbot - I wasn't the only person who bought 'Rupi's Dance'! I feel vindicated! (On balance, I might prefer to hear 'Dschinghis Khan plays the music of Jethro Tull'. Bet they'd do a nifty 'Minstrel'.)

* Maybe the inimitable 'Kevin Keegan Scrunch'.

Ulera
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Not massively surprised to see the hatchet wielded at SARCOPHAGUS! The five points I gave it were largely borne out of profound sympathy and sheer admiration for the cast, who make the best out of a bad job and at least salvage something from the wreckage. Some B7ers seem to like it, though, so I think we can compromise by calling this an episode with 'niche appeal'...

I am not so sure that it is a "niche" opinion to like Sarcophagus. You seem to like numbers so here's a few for you:
up to 10 Million viewers used to watch B7 when it was broadcast, there are only 1,172 registered here and you are basing your opinion on a couple of replies...

Cygnus Bazza
Ulera wrote:

I am not so sure that it is a "niche" opinion to like Sarcophagus. You seem to like numbers so here's a few for you:
up to 10 Million viewers used to watch B7 when it was broadcast, there are only 1,172 registered here and you are basing your opinion on a couple of replies...

Completely fair point, Ulera. I'd love to hear plenty more opinions about the episode (maybe not 1,169 though - just imagine! - how would the internet cope?Grin ). Not sure when a sample becomes statistically significant, but I'm certain we're not there yet!
Edited by Cygnus Bazza on 07 March 2020 13:16:21

briggsy1
Well for what it's worth I always liked Sarcophagus and Sand, just because they offered something a bit different from the other episodes. Not so keen on the romance element in the latter though, maybe because I'm a male viewer. It was a good idea of the production team to bring in some fresh writing talent to stop the programme going a bit stale.

One Spare Part
I have been reading the comments about Sarcophagus and waiting to see if anyone would speak up for it...so thank you Ulera. I would like to add this: when I watched it when it was 1st shown, I didn't really 'get' it. Then years later came the rewatches. I hadn't rewatched the last 2 series for a while and when Sarcophagus came on...well, I was blown away. No it isn't typical but then what is typical for B7? Whimsical it is...with bells on... but my goodness! ...the imagination, the full on contribution from the actors. I felt anew that I was in an alien space or a space with aliens. It completely expanded my view of the B7 universe. I don't think it's perfect, I think it is perfectly wonderful.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

boroboy
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

The final consignment:

47. GAMES: 8 out of 10. Extremely enjoyable though it never really zips into total overdrive. Avon, Vila, Tarrant and Soolin demonstrate that they’d have made a superb ‘Crystal Maze’ team. Love the (deliberately?) mistaken references to Cygnus XL – presumably if it got any bigger, it’d be upgraded to Cygnus XXL.

I am not totally convinced by magic crystal stories. Particularly magic crystals that only exist for one episode. But we do get a scorned murderous computer and Vila, as usual, saves the day. 6/10

48: SAND: 10 out of 10. Terrific stuff. Top-quality sci-fi with some genuine depth. There’s quite a lot here that could feel mega-cringey in lesser hands, but they negotiate the rapids very well. An episode that provides just a glimpse of some of the weird, wonderful and surprising directions a fifth series could have taken - and reminds us just how much potential was ultimately left untapped.

The good: we get some more Servalan charaterisation and the sentient sand is very well realized. The bad: its yet another "magic thing" that the crew and Servalan are chasing. We had this last week, already.And again in Headhunter, and we'll do it again next week. I think I am just less of a fan of "caper" shows - I just can't take the federation and therefore the imaginary universe, seriously anymore. 5/10

49. GOLD: 9 out of 10. B7 does ‘The Italian Job’. There’s always room for a rollicking heist yarn – but I also love the fact that this one’s a deceptively crucial part of the story arc too. Soolin’s quest to go through the series without repeating a hairstyle continues apace, while her (all too brief) double act with Avon shows oodles of potential (potential that, again, never had an opportunity for realisation).

If you are going to have a caper, have a caper with gusto. Which this has in spades. 8/10.

50. ORBIT: 9 out of 10. A bit pantomimey at times but the last fifteen minutes (Orac swap and shuttle decluttering) cement this episode’s classic status. Sensational and somewhat chilling stuff underlining how knife-edge drama was an absolutely key item in the B7 toolkit.

Arrghhh! Another magic thing! But with the drama tuned up to 11. The panto is seriously over the top and Avon's hamminess is totally underminng the show at this point - we simply can't take any of this seriously anymore. However, its good to see Servlalan showing a rare (by now) moment of restraint in this regard. Its worth plowing through the drivel for the shuttle scene which is phenomenal. 5/10.

51. WARLORD: 7 out of 10. Nicely conceived, nicely constructed story but the good stuff gets a bit tainted by the iffy summit scene at the beginning and ‘lurv machine’ Tarrant’s slightly creepy tryst/dalliance with Toyah.

After spending most of the season trying to steal magic things we suddenly come back to defeating the federation. Its a nice touch that the federation is still looking at chemical passification due to staffing shortages. Maybe they need a better pension scheme. A serviceable episode that sets the stage for the finale. 5/10.

52. BLAKE: 12 (yes, 12) out of 10. What a way to go out! Surely one of the most underrated final curtains in TV history. Simply riveting – with the biggest rivet of all, of course, being the genuinely shocking/harrowing dénouement that leaves questions unanswered, plenty of room for interpretation and LOADS of scope for discussion and disagreement over subsequent years (and, indeed, decades). A perfect ending, then! Am I allowed to use the word ‘genius’?

Thanks for reading!

Yes its perfect. Everyone is dead. This rebellion failed. And not because of some grand plan. Just a stupid misunderstanding and bad decision making. And Servalan isn't there to gloat. And Avon actually takes it seriously. This is bold TV. 10/10.

boroboy
Ulera wrote:

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Not massively surprised to see the hatchet wielded at SARCOPHAGUS! The five points I gave it were largely borne out of profound sympathy and sheer admiration for the cast, who make the best out of a bad job and at least salvage something from the wreckage. Some B7ers seem to like it, though, so I think we can compromise by calling this an episode with 'niche appeal'...

I think one of the strengths of B7 (in terms of having people like us still talking about it all these years later) is its variety. So there are episodes for everybody. Even if only one person liked Sarcophagus then it was the right episode for them.

rojkerr1
I love Sarcophagus, prefer Sand tho..'I don't suppose this machine would respond to a kick in the ear would it..'.sums up my approach to most technology!

boroboy
First- the goodies....
Blake: Tom Jones (separated at birth)
Vila: Gary Numan (as he is now) or possibly Pete Shelley*
Avon: Rob Halford (if only for the studs!) or possibly Howard Devoto*
Jenna: Donna Summer (the epitome of cool)
Cally: Siouxsie Sioux (her real twin)
Gan:Meatloaf (enough said)
Tarrant: Richard Jobson (I like the idea of a scottish Tarrant)
Dayna: Poly Styrene (quirky, young, independent)
Soolin: Blondie (totally awesome and not to be underestimated)
Orac: Brian Eno's EMS VCS 3 (separated at birth)
Zen: Graeme Garden's dating computer from The Goodies. (just for the laughs)

* reuniting Shelley and Devoto would be a fantastic parallel for Vila and Avon!

Baddies next.

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

I have been reading the comments about Sarcophagus and waiting to see if anyone would speak up for it...so thank you Ulera. I would like to add this: when I watched it when it was 1st shown, I didn't really 'get' it. Then years later came the rewatches. I hadn't rewatched the last 2 series for a while and when Sarcophagus came on...well, I was blown away. No it isn't typical but then what is typical for B7? Whimsical it is...with bells on... but my goodness! ...the imagination, the full on contribution from the actors. I felt anew that I was in an alien space or a space with aliens. It completely expanded my view of the B7 universe. I don't think it's perfect, I think it is perfectly wonderful.

Sarcophagus gets my vote, too. I like surreal stuff, and I love the ep's creepy weirdness - especially Vila doing magic tricks for an invisible audience. Jan is fab as the alien - a refreshing change from drippy Zelda. And I think the music is clever - I love that each character has a 'theme' introduced in the opening sequence, which is repeated as each of the crew 'becomes' that character.
I'd give it 9/10 - the script loses a point because of Avon's 'You're beautiful when you're angry' line - gah, so corny!
My views are my own.

AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

boroboy
And now, the baddies:
Dev Tarrant: Ed Sheeran
Vargas: Pavarotti
Servalan: Amanda Palmer
Travis 1: Peter Murphy
Travis 2: Now I am regretting casting Rob Halford as Avon... so... Alvin Stardust
Sara: Kate Bush
Bercol and Rontane: Simon and Garfunkel
Trooper Par: Elvis Costello
Largo: Frank Sinatra
Klegg: Peter Hook
Moloch: Uncle Bulgaria
Dorian: Ben Orr of the cars
Og: Noddy Holder (though not really a baddie, I admit, its just too good an opportunity to miss)
Egrorian: Gary Glitter

boroboy
Travisina wrote:

Sarcophagus gets my vote, too. I like surreal stuff, and I love the ep's creepy weirdness - especially Vila doing magic tricks for an invisible audience. Jan is fab as the alien - a refreshing change from drippy Zelda. And I think the music is clever - I love that each character has a 'theme' introduced in the opening sequence, which is repeated as each of the crew 'becomes' that character.
I'd give it 9/10 - the script loses a point because of Avon's 'You're beautiful when you're angry' line - gah, so corny!

Good points, Travisina. I think it a great episode of SF/Fantasy TV. You could easily watch it as a stand-alone one-off show and it would be better than 99.9% of other stuff on the telly. For me, purely in the context of B7, I just prefer watching "the downfall and total corruption of society though despotic authoritanianism that is still better for most peoples lives than the alternative promulgated by Blake et al." that we have elsewhere in B7.

Travisina
boroboy wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Good points, Travisina. I think it a great episode of SF/Fantasy TV. You could easily watch it as a stand-alone one-off show and it would be better than 99.9% of other stuff on the telly. For me, purely in the context of B7, I just prefer watching "the downfall and total corruption of society though despotic authoritanianism that is still better for most peoples lives than the alternative promulgated by Blake et al." that we have elsewhere in B7.

Ah, but these standalone episodes are the defining theme (or lack thereof) in Series 3, which is a collection of random adventures, or "Something else to chase", as Cally puts it. So although S3 includes some of my fave episodes - Sarcophagus being one of them - my fave series overall is Series 2.
My views are my own.

littlesue
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Corny???? As spoken, sort of, by John Wayne. I love all the movie quotes that turn up in B7
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Cygnus Bazza
boroboy wrote:

First- the goodies....Baddies next.

Just a few random additions:

Avon: Dave Vanian (The Damned) in his 'classic' guise - https://www.youtu...Z76LC_l8yk
Tarrant: Kevin Rowland (Dexy's Midnight Runners)
Tyce: Carly Simon
Krantor: Disco Tex (without his Sexolettes)
Gola: Buster Bloodvessel (bewigged and be-bearded), or Bill Ward (Black Sabbath)
Vila: Davy Jones (Monkees)
Sarkoff: Val Doonican

As for SARCOPHAGUS, always good to see fans getting behind an episode they love, even if it's one I don't care for. Never say never, but I'm not sure I'll be joining the ranks of sarcophagophiles any time soon. But very happy to be proven to hold the minority opinion!

boroboy
Sarkoff = Van Doonican
that's brilliant - I am weeping actual tears of joy!

trevor travis
Ulera wrote:

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Agreed. I don't think Sarcophagus has "niche" appeal at all - rather very popular appeal.

It was one of the highest-rated episodes, including the joint highest chart position for B7 (22nd, along with Moloch). Plus it normally features towards the top of any favourite episode polls.

Personally I'd place it in my top five favourite episodes.

Variety is the spice of life and not only is Sarcophagus a different type of episode, but also a very good episode. Not every episode needs to be a carbon copy of all the others. For me, it's a 10/10 and always has been. I love episodes that are character based and imaginative.

Ulera
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

I thought I was the only one who didn't like that line! Like Travisina I also think it is about the only tiny fly in the ointment of an otherwise perfect episode. So would that line have been added by Boucher to Tanith's script do you know?
Sarcophagus is a truly brilliant episode, a real character-driven piece. Avon and Cally never looked better and Paul and Jan are superb. It is full of depth and subtlety and at every rewatch I am rewarded with something new.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.72 seconds
36,674,556 unique visits since 8th January 2014