Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,308
· Newest Rebel: Rachel_4_Avon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [46 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [30 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [35 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [27 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 209
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Scoring each episode
boroboy
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Time to pick up the thread again and plough on:

27. AFTERMATH: 7 out of 10. ‘Series under reconstruction’ a big sign should say, but this is a pretty secure recalibration – even if it lacks a bit of zip at times and foists more bloomin’ pseudo-barbarians on us.

The good: Undersea base, Hal Melanby and his dodgy backstory. The bad: Even the show itself can't believe the coincidence that Servalan is also on Sarran. 6/10

28. POWERPLAY: 8 out of 10. Everything on board the Liberator is top-notch, but a lot of the on-planet stuff is a bit soppy.

Too bad Clegg didn't make it Sad. And what a comedown for Avalon. 7/10

29. VOLCANO: 8 out of 10. Rock-solid (!) episode.

This episode is unrelentingly grim. The obsidian's are surprisingly well-realized for a bit of a cliche. 7/10

30. DAWN OF THE GODS: 6 out of 10. All a bit airy-fairy and unconvincing, but has its moments.

No. Just no. Not B7. Hahahaha - they made Vila wear a spacesuit. Give me strength. 1/10.

31. THE HARVEST OF KAIROS: 7 out of 10. Good story, good ending, but there’s some quite naff/awkward stuff in here too.

Silly outfits, but a good story. And we learn some surprizing things about Servalan's "tastes". 8/10

32. CITY AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD: 4 out of 10. I know it’s Vila’s shining hour and all that, but this one slips too often into ‘kids TV’ mode – with some added risqué clunkiness plus a pantomime villain. An odd episode that jars with me, I’m afraid.

Yeah - the panto is a bit much. And Tarrant is an utter arse. Is this the only sex-scene in B7? I *do* love panto - just not in the B7-verse (and, yes, I know I am setting myself up for a fall in later episodes with this perspective!). 3/10.

33. CHILDREN OF AURON: 8 out of 10. Series 3 takes a definite upturn with a much stronger, more multi-faceted, neatly zig-zagging story. Nearly added an extra mark for the strange shiny tunic thing worn by Avon in the final scene; it's always guaranteed to have me humming “He’s….a spa-a-cer…” for the rest of the day. If they bring that outfit to ‘Forever Avon’ I’ll gladly donate to charity if I can try it on.

Good dialog, interesting SF ideas, character development for one-off characters. Much much better. 8/10

Cygnus Bazza
Dear M1795537 OC Virn (or may I call you M1795 if you’ll pardon the overfamiliarity)

Many thanks for posting THE FACTS. There’s no doubting that rebels like me spend the vast majority of our time operating in a fog of subjectivity and sentiment, not to mention cloying self-righteousness. So having rare access to THE FACTS comes as a refreshing and somewhat therapeutic change. As I’ve mentioned before, the B7 multiverse loves a number – Star One, Bucol 2 (although that sounds like a soccer result) – and having all these new stats to run through and attempt to understand/interpret/fathom is a welcome diversion from the current proliferation of global crises (what's the Federation doing about exorbitant car parking charges, for instance? Huh? HUH?), especially as all of these numbers represent THE incontrovertible FACTS.

In fact, that’s a fact.

Cygnus Bazza
Somewhere in Sector 127 (or Oxfordshire as it's known by those not high on soma, alcopops or chorizo-based snack 'n' share products).

(PS boroboy's succinct hatchet job on 'DAWN OF THE GODS' does lead me to conclude I was over-lenient to that episode)

deepblueska
This seems like a good idea for a poll. With over 1100 rebels we could generate a fair assessment of the fan's opinions on the episodes.

boroboy
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

(PS boroboy's succinct hatchet job on 'DAWN OF THE GODS' does lead me to conclude I was over-lenient to that episode)

Well, Cygnus Bazza, our assessments match very closely across almost all the other episodes so far. I feel more hatchettery is in the future though as we plough onwards to Season D for Dire.

Cygnus Bazza
deepblueska wrote:

This seems like a good idea for a poll. With over 1100 rebels we could generate a fair assessment of the fan's opinions on the episodes.

Yes indeed. The only thing that truly trumps 'the facts' is the wisdom of crowds!

And as a major fan of Series 4/D, I'm now slightly apprehensive about what devastation boroboy's savage hachet is going to unleash in the general direction of some treasured episodes...Oops

One Spare Part
Doing the rewatches has definitely raised my opinion of series C and D but A and B are where it's at for me. C has got some cracking episodes as has D but the feel especially in D is one of deepening unhappiness. Still gripping though and that last episode...seeing that was the worst I ever felt in my life up to that point but it made the legend.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Cygnus Bazza
One Spare Part wrote:

A and B are where it's at for me.

I totally get that. For me personally, though, I'd give the following pseudo-historical gloss to B7:

- Series A & B: The Classical Period
- Series C: The Dark Age
(that's a wild overstatement, of course, but there's a bit of a dip while B7 restabilises)
- Series D: The Renaissance Period.

Rewatching Series D these days, I love the sense of a gathering storm that pervades everything. Mind you, that's probably partly a function of looking down the wrong end of the telescope and knowing how it concludes. At the time, I'm sure I didn't get any more than a regular sense of building to a season finale and even when I first saw 'Blake' I didn't think it was really 'the end'. I was sure there'd be another series (and had got that impression from Paul Darrow - see the 'Memories of Paul Darrow in Cambridge' thread in the 'Fan Activity' section) not least because anything's possible in sci-fi!
Edited by Cygnus Bazza on 29 February 2020 10:52:04

One Spare Part
Nicely put Cygnus Bazza although I see series D more along the lines of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire, the Feds being the Goths, Vandals etc.

Cygnus Bazza
One Spare Part wrote:

I see series D more along the lines of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire, the Feds being the Goths

Good call. I think I can feel a 'B7 Historical Parallels' thread coming on...

(I'd love to have been a Vandal. Best tribal name ever. On the other side, Avon the Great would have been an excellent imperial moniker.)

boroboy
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

34. RUMOURS OF DEATH: 9 out of 10. At LAST Series 3 delivers a belter. We all love a twist in the tale, don’t we? And it’s done really neatly here. Also good to see the Kiss-Avon-and-Die Club enlisting another life (or death?) member.

A great character piece. We find out about Servalan's megalomania, the effect on Avon of being manipulated, the crew of the Liberator squabbling over being brought down to Shrinker's "level", the perspectives of rebels, spies and security guards. 9/10

35. SARCOPHAGUS: 5 out of 10. To quote 'Spinal Tap', there’s a very fine line between clever and stupid. This hokum-heavy episode frequently struggles to stay on the right side of that line – and how I wish our fearless fivesome hadn’t found the dressing-up box. Let’s be charitable and call this episode a rangefinder; Tanith’s Series 4 offering was vastly superior.

Not Blakes 7. Barely rises to the level of a bad school play. These characters are not the crew of the Liberator. The entire premise is risible: why would a mysterious alien being keep humans as pets? And why is it defeated by the terrible cliche of the *massive sexual powers of leading man*? This is sub-star trek drivel. 0/10.

36. ULTRAWORLD: 8 out of 10. Back on track. Nice and creepy, thanks largely to the Ultra, of course, and their cut-price Kraftwerk tribute act. I particularly enjoy Vila’s attempts to teach Orac human humour – presaging Lister's tuition of Kryten in ‘Red Dwarf’.

Probably not Blakes 7. Like the previous episode, what is the point in all this? A giant brain in space consuming all knowledge??? That somehow has people on it converted to automations? This just shows a total lack of imagination or ability to understand B7. Its just derivative SF tropes that go nowhere. 1/10 for the possibility of the Avon/Cally mind swap, which, if you are going to actually broadcast this mess, at least this would have made the rest of the series interesting.

37. MOLOCH: 8 out of 10. For me, it’s only in the last few episodes that Series 3 really gets some momentum going. Although the ‘weird little fella’ thing is starting to look a bit tired by this point, almost everyone gets a decent run-out in this episode, Avon’s apple-shining moment is hilarious and the first mini-scene between Servalan and Vila is a minor classic.

Moloch itself aside, at least we are back in the B7 universe. And we have some very nasty people for our crew to deal with - even Servalan is appalled. We also get more of "dodgy" Vila here - will he befriend literally anyone (no matter how creepy/revolting they are) so long as they are a fellow criminal? I like B7 when is goes to dark places, so.... 8/10.

38. DEATH WATCH: 10 out of 10. Arguably the hardest-hitting B7 episode of all. A compelling, uncompromising slice of dystopia. On a lighter side, ‘Red Dwarf’ is presaged again (Arnold/Ace Rimmer). Loving the wig! I’ll bet Steven Pacey didn’t, though. Makes him look like a game-show host on a dodgy cable channel. Of course, Avon’s reaction to someone shaking his hand is absolutely priceless.

I couldn't agree more. Great characters and characterization. A great socio-political story. Its well made/directed with great arena scenes and even the low-budget shuttle works really well. Plus the societies "entertainment" being directly first person are presented in a believable way. And the rumours that Vila has heard about it being widely off the mark further increase the veracity. Steven Pacey does a great job with the two brothers. 9/10

39. TERMINAL: 10 out of 10. You can say what you like about B7 but the programme certainly knew how to deliver a megatastic series finale. It’s only in the last few episodes that the ‘new’ line-up genuinely feels bedded in and like an authentic team (albeit a dysfunctional one). This scorching episode is even good enough to make you overlook/forgive the apparent ability of Servalan and her team to walk through corridors of minging gunge without realising they've been sold a pup. Caveat emptor, indeed.

This could have/should have been the end. We get a wonderfully complex mind-control strategy that works on many levels - Servalan manipulated Avon because she know of his desire to find Blake and then the more direct drug-induced control on Terminal. I can ignore "Terry Nations guide to evolution" because we get to realize that the Federation truly has massive resources if it can build an entire planet for this experiment. Everyone likes to see a smartarse get his comeuppance and boy does Avon get it here! He makes all the mistakes its possible to make: not sleeping enough, not trusting the crew, flying trough the particles, believing anything Servalan says (her part in the illusion on Terminal is terrific), etc. What a clown! Meanwhile Vila is saving the day keeping the Liberator alive as long as possible and getting Orac. 10/10.

Cygnus Bazza
Not massively surprised to see the hatchet wielded at SARCOPHAGUS! The five points I gave it were largely borne out of profound sympathy and sheer admiration for the cast, who make the best out of a bad job and at least salvage something from the wreckage. Some B7ers seem to like it, though, so I think we can compromise by calling this an episode with 'niche appeal'...

boroboy
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Not massively surprised to see the hatchet wielded at SARCOPHAGUS! The five points I gave it were largely borne out of profound sympathy and sheer admiration for the cast, who make the best out of a bad job and at least salvage something from the wreckage. Some B7ers seem to like it, though, so I think we can compromise by calling this an episode with 'niche appeal'...

By no means am I criticizing the cast or the rest of the crew. They did what they could with the material they had. Wobbly sets and odd props don't bother me* as much as bad plotting, scripting, lazy story telling, lack of imagination, incoherence, etc.
* - for example - how did they keep a straight face when using the tiny travis gun in SLD that looked like it came free in a box of cornflakes. Now that was some acting!

boroboy
Cygnus Bazza wrote:

Blimey - no dissent or discussion about any of my Series 3 markings! I'm clearly one of that rare breed of people that sees things exactly as they are! Cool Or perhaps not...

Just Series 4 to go!

Sorry CB - It just takes some of us a while to get going with these things!

40. RESCUE: 9 out of 10. Excellent, sure-footed season opener chock-a-block with rip-snorting lines. B7 has now truly shaken off the ghost of Blake (in one sense) and all the cogs in the machine are whirring beautifully. Highlights include Avon’s masterclass in how to interact with a nutter, and Vila’s Ribena binge.

This is a puzzle. On one hand its a fun episode with plenty of intrigue, action and a splendid weirdo + Vila saves the day (as usual). One the other I could have done without the horror show aspects of it. 7/10

41. POWER: 6 out of 10. A bit of a retrograde step. As Avon might say, “spare me another dose of unconvincing barbarians”. But at least this episode avoids the worst excesses of “The Keeper” (which was shocking dross) and generally zips along at a decent lick.

Hmm... maybe our first major disagreement, CB. Its got sexual politics, regular politics, an excellent moral compass (fighting gets you nowhere), on multiple levels it shows the multiple levels of society (the "barbarians" reliant on hidden computers+ the difference between what Gun-sar has to say/act in public compared to in private), and some great dialog. Avon behaves very badly - but that's his character - he *is* a very very unpleasant person. And it ends on a positive note with Nena in charge and making plans for survival. 9/10

42. TRAITOR: 9 out of 10. I’ll tell you what Series 3 was missing – a nifty villain in an eye-patch. In fact, this episode delivers an entire creepy coterie of criminal psychopaths, whose SS/Gestapo stylings and affectations only add to a genuine sense of jeopardy, and underline the point that this is a fight B7 really do need to win. Plus there’s that lovely cameo by Servalan at her most evil and cynical – and in an outfit Marc Bolan at his glammiest would have been cock-a-hoop to flaunt.

Agree with all this and its good to be back to dealing with the Federation. And it hits very close to the mark on alternative strategies for totalitarian states whereby people are manipulated into being too passive to resist. Politicians can get away with anything if the populace are shot with medical lasers/watching reality TV. 9/10.

43. STARDRIVE: 7 out of 10. The Space Rats are an infantile intrusion into what’s otherwise a really good episode. (The great Barbara Shelley deserved better than to have to share so many scenes with them.) In particular, the first fifteen and last five minutes – where B7 goes full-on ‘Star Trek’ – are great. I also like the way Avon, Tarrant and Soolin make quite a formidable ‘badass’ trio; they could have re-made ‘The Good, the Bad and the Ugly’ as ‘The Bad, the Smug and the Icy’.

Putting aside the silly costumes and "zoom and enhance" bits of this episode (because I said I would earlier Smile) it seems like there is a good story struggling to escape. Who or what is Atlan (he is clearly not a space rat, so what gives? I assume he is an undercover federation officer)? Why are the space rats not subdued by the federation? Is their thuggish behaviour tolerated because it doesn't threaten the federation? But at the end of the day our heroes can now safely run away from the federation. Again. 6/10.

44. ANIMALS: 7 out of 10. Some massively uncomfortable moments, of course, but the underlying story is very decent and confronts some classic ethical dilemmas. Dayna does a great job as the focal point. Avon negotiating Vila down to half a glass of wine is a magic moment.

An episode with zero redeeming value. The following two episodes are useless but harmless, but this is actively undermining the characters and the whole show in a lazy, venal and ugly way. I can forgive a lot of things but not a lack of caring about the show to this degree. Its a charade. 0/10.

45. HEADHUNTER: 8 out of 10. Highly entertaining knockabout nonsense. Excellent Frankenstein-style ending; just needed some irate villagers with blazing torches and it’d be perfect. But this episode does deliver an angry Avon plus Vila hiding in a cupboard, so it’s ticking the box. Just not the one with the head in it.

It definitely helps to not think too hard about this one. Is this robot really indestructible? From any event/weapon? Whose bright idea was it to awaken this beast before putting its head on? How is the dead Mullers head operated by the robot? But its all good fun in the end. Just a caper. 7/10.

46. ASSASSIN: 10 out of 10. Love this one. A hoot and a half. The slave market is all a bit Disney but the rest more than makes up for it. Soolin belatedly gets a chance to flourish and delivers some great lines. As for Tarrant, what can I say except 'hook, line and plonker'.

Yeah... camper than unicorns on a trampoline, but its good to know whats going on at the edges of the federation. One assumes that most people welcomed the federation if it did away with things like this terrible slavery business. Trooper Par would have sorted this lot out, no problem. Like Headhunter - its just another bit of fun. 6/10.

Cygnus Bazza
Top-class assessing, boroboy! Regarding POWER - I think, by this point in B7, I'm clearly suffering from 'barbarian fatigue'. It's like metal fatigue, only furrier. Talking of things Germanic, I'd genuinely love Nena to have been involved in this (or any other) B7 episode. I reckon your typo was your subconscious reaching out for a slice of quality '80s Euro-rock!Smile We've all been there. (I'd especially recommend Nena's first album! A cracker! )

boroboy
I think you are right, CB - definitely a subconscious typo! And Nena (the singer/actress not barbarian horde leader) is still rocking out. Maybe we should start a new thread about musicians being involved in B7. How about Sting as Travis mk. III?

Cygnus Bazza
Your idea of a thread for shoehorning musicians into B7 is absolutely awesome. Personally, I'd nominate Bryan Ferry for Travis MkIII. So how about Sting as Dorian? A closely cropped Kate Bush might be a decent shout for Servalan.

(As for the sainted Nena, yes indeed - her 'comeback' albums were really good though I must admit I've not bought anything by her since 2010 - a copy of 'Made in Germany' was going cheap(ish) in KaDeWe when I was on holiday over there.)

One Spare Part
Yay Sting for Dorian! Could have been written for him. But you can't shave Kate of her locks! What about Sinead O'Connor as Servalan...alrhough her personality fits in more with Travis 2...

M1795537 OC Virn
One Spare Part wrote:

Yay Sting for Dorian! Could have been written for him. But you can't shave Kate of her locks! What about Sinead O'Connor as Servalan...alrhough her personality fits in more with Travis 2...

No way! It has to be Annie Lennox!!! Just think about the lyrics of 'Sweet Dreams' - could have written for our President. (Not that one could ever consider replacing Her anyway.....your comments have been sent to Security....)
On similar lines, have we ever done "What would be (insert character's name here) theme tune? I'll have to search the 'Character discussion' archives for info...
You're not sulking, I hope?

Cygnus Bazza
Annie L beats SO'C by a short head (or haircut Grin), I think.

Sheila B Devotion as Jenna
Agnetha from ABBA as Soolin
A shaven Demis Roussos as Gan
I see Phil Collins as (a thinner) Keiller
Toyah Wilcox as Zeeona
Barbara Dickson as Cally
As mentioned earlier somewhere in this thread, Kraftwerk as the Ultra

Most importantly, though, THIS always reminds me of the slave market on Domo:

https://www.youtu...AEUrp2V4ss

Theme tunes for the characters is a top idea.
Edited by Cygnus Bazza on 06 March 2020 19:18:18

One Spare Part
I don't know why but the thought of Sheila B Devotion as Jenna really made me laugh! As did Kraftwerk as the Ultra. My colleagues at work wanted to know what I was laughing at...how do I explain? Grin
On a more serious note...Barbara Dickson as Cally!? How do I say this? It's like having Marilyn Monroe play Kate Moss. What about Kiki Dee after a perm?

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.03 seconds
36,673,900 unique visits since 8th January 2014