Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,294
· Newest Rebel: jds12

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Oct 2019 Fanfic Challenge
Annie
Before she left to meet him, she sat for some time before her mirror, her paints, brushes and powder laid out before her. Carefully she coloured the lids of her eyes, filled in the brow area above to frame them, outlined her lips, exaggerating their fullness, before painting them scarlet. She brushed her cheeks with palest pink and then dusted her face with powder.

Satisfied with her reflection, she turned to her dress, draped on the bed. It rustled as she slipped it carefully over her head, the silk cool against her skin. Shoes next, finest calf skin, heeled because she was tiny and needed height.

Last her hair. She fastened the diamond aigrette in her elaborate curls, turning her head a little so that the diamonds caught the light and sent silver patterns dancing around the room.

Anna was complete. Ready for her newest assignment. Her outerwear armour in place.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

stormypetrel
Ouch, Annie! I can just imagine that. Poor Avon.

Travisina
Lovely vignette, Annie! Armour, indeed.
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

Moon Disk
Annie - there was something very cool and deliberate about her actions in that piece that made it chilling. Armour being just the right word too. Excellent.

Annie
Thanks for the nice comments!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Mrs_Underhill
Anna getting ready for her next prey. This is great, and chilling.

littlesue
Anniew.....that rather nice computer expert wouldn't have stood a chance. Lovely bit of writing.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

JustBrad
There came a soft knock. Dayna opened the door.

Tarrant’s eyes darted up and down the corridor. “Zen says we have an intruder, but inboard sensors can’t locate him.”

“A stealth field generator?” Dayna smiled. “I have just the thing.”

While Dayna grabbed a blaster and a pair of goggles, Tarant surveyed her room. His eye fell to an ancient bit of steel mounted above her bunk. It consisted of two steel tubes with a primitive trigger and a wooden, yes, an actual wooden stock. “What is this, some old slug thower?”

“Family heirloom,” Dayna replied. “My grandmother's shotgun.”

“Is that why you made Avon go back to Saran?”

“Yes. Ready?” Dayna led the way with her blaster drawn and the goggles pulled down over her eyes.

Tarrant studied the goggles. “Infrared?”

“And able to detect energy signatures.”

Tarant nodded. “Like a stealth field generator. Let’s head for the flight deck. The others are holed up there.”

Dayna frowned. “Really? If I were an assassin I would divide and conquer.”

Tarrant sighed. “By following me to you. Stupid of me. I…”

“Down!” Dayna leveled her blaster and fired.

Diving for the deck, Tarrant felt an energy burst whistle past his ear.

A figure in black body armor appeared at the end of the corridor, his face covered by a visor. Tarrant struggled to draw his gun. “You missed!”

“I never miss! My first shot took down his stealth field generator. ” Dayna fired three more shots. Each struck the figure, to no effect. “Looks like the Federation has perfected energy absorbing armor.”

Tarrant replied, “The only good news, that’s not a fed agent, that’s a hired assassin.”

“Back to my cabin.”

As Dayna and Tarrant turned and ran, the assassin pursued. The sensory visor was great for tracking, but not aiming. No matter. His armor would protect him from energy weapons. He could walk into an ambush with impunity to kill at close range. Then, all he had to do was wait for his stealth field generator to recharge and go after the others.

The assassin followed the visor’s readout to a small room. They hadn’t even bothered to lock the door. He charged in, his weapon ready…

… and came face to face with Dayna holding an odd looking weapon made of matching steel tubes. There was a flash of light from both barrels…

Tarrant checked the assassin. “Dead. High tech outerwear was no match for Grandmother Melanby’s shotgun.”

“Oh, no,” Dayna replied. “This belonged to my maternal grandmother. Like me, she loved the old weapons, and the old stories.”

“And her surname?”

Dayna answered, “Chekhov.”
Edited by JustBrad on 21 October 2019 02:10:33
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

littlesue
There is a certain item of outwear that I (and a few other Avon Ladies) have become fascinated by.
I’ve had to do a two parter (again) and Lurena has supplied a piccie…
…so let’s see just

How Avon Got THAT Jacket
Part One
‘Are You Being Served?’

At one time it had been a shopping mall, that much was obvious, but now, it was in ruins; the victim of a direct hit from some unknown assailant.
Above them were the remains of a once vaulted glass roof, now shattered, exposing the mall to the elements
“Wow!” Vila blurted out, “I’ve never seen anything like it…Gan would have loved this.”
“Yes, but his head ache is still bothering him,” Blake said,” So it’s just us to explore this place. You know, this must have been quite an upmarket retail establishment,” Blake murmured.
“So, come on, let’s see just how upmarket this place was. Coming ladies?”
“Shops”, Avon said, obviously not as overwhelmed as the others, “But it wouldn’t hurt to see how the other half once lived.” And then he, too, wandered off to explore the numerous stores now devoid of paying customers.

“This looks interesting,” Blake said to himself.
He was standing in front of an illuminated board and the words on it were inviting him to ‘Order Here’.
Blake pressed the screen, “To eat in or takeaway?” it asked.
He surveyed the wrecked seating area and the thought of Gan sitting patiently by the teleport...
“Takeaway… I think.”

Jenna and Cally had found themselves captivated by a window display of glittering jewellery.
And they were not alone; Vila’s mouth was watering as he looked at the endless trays of jewellery passing his eyes. Unfortunately, there was a pane of glass between him and the trays.
The screen set in the front of the window enquired if they wished to purchase any of the items on display.
“Why not?” Vila replied, then spotted the locked door just by the side of the glass partition, “Oh yes, why not indeed!”
“Vila!” both Jenna and Cally said in unison.
“What?”
“That’s called stealing,” Jenna informed him.
“There’s no-one here. I’d call it taking these valuable items into protective custody…”

Avon had found a very distinctive establishment towards the back of the mall. Once inside, he had seated himself on the luxurious leather sofa and started to admire the numerous outfits being displayed on the various holographic screens.
As each one appeared it was obvious that this particular establishment catered for the individual who wanted to stand out from everyone else.
Suddenly, an assistant appeared; a strange, robotic creature moving around on a single wheel with a large cane to support itself when standing still or for pointing out each desirable outfit.
“Sir, why didn’t you announce yourself?”
“I didn’t think it was necessary.”
“Sir. It is absolutely necessary. Have you been measured?”
“I….”
“Tut, tut. Come, into the booth Sir, please.”
“I…”
It was useless to resist as Avon found himself being ushered into a booth and being subject to an array of light beams.
“That’s better, Sir. Now we have all your vital measurements.”
“You do?”
“Yes, every single one. Now, what is that you are wearing? It really does not suit you.”
“It doesn’t?”
“Sir, trust me. I have dressed the finest gentlemen in the Galaxy and if I say it doesn’t suit you…then it doesn’t suit you. Please remove that abomination.”
Avon removed the anorak that Blake had insisted they all had to wear.
The one wheeled robot whirled around him.
“I have the very thing for such a distinguished person as yourself. Voila!”
A silver jacket with black details down the front appeared on the clothes rail that ran along the back of the shop.
“This is so you, Sir. Put it on…and it even comes with a pair of black gloves should the prevailing weather conditions call for them.”
Avon stared at himself in the mirror. The robotic assistant was right; it did suit him.
i.imgur.com/7lOij1O.jpg
“Have you seen anything else that may interest you?”
Avon thought for a moment.
“Well now, perhaps you do. Something that…”
“…Makes you stand out from the crowd? You have come to the right establishment, Sir, please be seated…”

Part Two
Suits You Sir

Blake was on the main concourse, several bags in his hands, when he saw Vila, Jenna and Cally coming towards him.
Via looked sheepish. In his hands were several cases and black velvet bags.
“Vila? What the…?”
“He didn’t think it right to leave all that jewellery here on its own,” Cally explained, sporting a necklace around her neck.
“He does have a point,” Jenna agreed, fingering the large diamond encrusted brooch on her lapel.
“Look, it would only get stolen left here all by itself.”
“So you stole it?” Blake pointed out.
“Only for safe keeping….until the owners reopen their shop…”
They all turned as the sound of footfalls echoed round the concourse.
“Avon, what…?” Blake began.
He was sporting his new jacket. “Some of us prefer to be more individual. Now, have we finished here?”
Blake nodded, “Avon, you’d better contact Gan, we all seem to have our hands full.”

Gan took the offered food. It was certainly different.
“Oh, by the way,” Gan said, “There’s been a delivery for you, Avon.”
“A delivery?” Blake asked, “Of what?”
“No idea, they left it in the starboard airlock. Have a nice day they said.”
Avon looked at the small device in his hand. “So, it was right. They will deliver anywhere, anytime. As long as I have this.”
“Deliver what?” Jenna asked.
“A whole new wardrobe, what else?”
“Wardrobe?” they all said in unison.
“What? From…”Gan looked at the message again, “Leathers R Us?”
Avon smiled, “Absolutely. And I won’t be needing this anymore,” he said as he casually dropped the anorak to the floor and hurried off to see what delights had arrived from that interesting little robotic assistant.

GanMiniMe
Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place! Apologies for the duplication!

“Information…”

Vila groaned and half-opened his eyes. “The time is 07.00” announced Zen in his unswervingly neutral tone. Vila heard him but wanted to ignore him. He didn’t want to get up; it was too early; it was still dark outside. That was the trouble with living on board a Deep Space Vehicle- it was always dark outside.

“Information…” began Zen again.
“All right, you heap of junk, I heard you,” grumbled Vila as he sat up. A movement to his right made him turn his head, only to find himself at perfect eye-level with the wickedly gleaming point of a spear barely six inches from his face. He was awake now.
“Oh no,” he thought miserably. “Not again…”

Avon, as usual, awoke two minutes before Zen’s alarm call. What was less usual was being awoken by a loud, sudden knocking and a panicked voice outside his door calling his name.
“Somebody is trying to kill me!” they cried.
“Why aren’t I surprised?” thought Avon as he wearily got off his bed and opened the door. Tarrant rushed in, looking rather pale and skinny in just his underwear.
“I woke up… and there was… come and look!” he said, trying and failing to stop himself shaking. Wordlessly Avon followed him.

Tarrant’s room was its usual almost-but-not-quite-tidy state. The bedspread was rumpled where it had been quickly tossed aside. One fold hid an irregular-shaped lump which Tarrant was pointing at but would not touch. Cautiously, Avon approached. Tarrant steeled himself but winced nonetheless, as Avon yanked back the covers to reveal a long hunter’s knife with jagged edges, sticking out of a large, shabby teddy bear. Its black eyes stared blankly at the ceiling.

“Tarrant!” Cally’s voice called from outside. She ran in, clad in blue satin pyjamas. “Are you all right?”
“He’s fine,” Avon answered for him, “But Mr. Lancelot’s going to need a few stitches.” Cally looked at him.
“Dayna again?”
Dayna?” Tarrant looked flabberghasted. “Dayna did this?” Cally nodded.
“She’s done this before. I think she’s been hunting down Servalan in her sleep. Last week I woke to find my bedroom door full of arrows. And Vila- “ Her voice tailed off as she and Avon froze.
“Oh no. Vila…”

Vila stayed as still as a statue and silently prayed for rescue. Last time he had thought that his number was finally up; having been saved in the nick of time he dared to hope that it was possible again. Dayna stared at him with vengeful, unseeing eyes.

Dayna… Dayna… You must wake up now. It’s just a dream, you must wake up…Dayna…

It worked. The spear clattered out of Dayna’s hand onto the floor. Vila exhaled and slumped back. Dayna looked round.

“Was I doing it again?” she asked. Cally put an arm around her shoulders and ushered her out. “Don’t worry, no harm done. Let’s make you a coffee…”
“Wait a minute, what about me?” demanded Vila, scrambling up. “I was nearly skewered for the second time in two weeks!” Tarrant, still only in his boxers, rounded on him. “What have you got to complain about? You should see what she did to Mr. Lancelot!”

Vila blinked. “Who?”
Edited by GanMiniMe on 21 October 2019 14:52:44

JustBrad
GanMiniMe wrote:

Sorry, I think I posted this in the wrong place! Apologies for the duplication!

No worries. Glad you found the thread so everyone can see your story.
Dupe deleted.
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

littlesue
And now for my second effort, with a piccie once more by Lurena...who had some fun drawing this one and may have needed a cold shower afterwards!!!!

Midnight Thief

“It isn’t me!” Vila said indignantly.
“Well someone is taking it...and you’re a thief,” Avon pointed out.
“I admit to being a thief, but you can’t accuse me of stealing any of it.”
“What’s going on?” Blake asked, coming late to the ‘discussion’.
“Someone is helping themselves to the money in the strong room,” Avon informed him.
“And you think it’s Vila?”
“It stands to reason.”
“Well, if that’s the case, why don’t you set up a security system?”
“Oh, don’t worry, I intend to and once I discover the perpetrator then I shall make sure HE never steals anything again!”

Gan hadn’t told anyone of his plan, but he decided to do the night watch of his own volition.
Zen had lowered the lighting as was its normal practice and the rest of the crew had succumbed to the human need to sleep; even Gan was struggling to stay awake, but the sudden noise of soft footfalls on the metal deck made him sit up. He held his breath as the sound came closer.
From his hiding place he heard the swish of the strong room doors and decided to confront whoever it was taking an interest in the room and its contents.
As softly as he could, Gan made his way to the strong room and its open door.
He looked up; the camera was filming the culprit.
Carefully he looked round the door frame and smiled.
In the gloom was a seated figure, carefully counting out the money and putting the gems into neat piles…over and over again, before putting some of the haul into a pocket.
Then the figure was finished.
Once again Gan held his breath and pressed himself against the wall as the figure stood up, walked out the room and carefully closed the door.
Gan found it ironic that the figure now walking back to a cabin was none other than a black silk pyjama clad Avon…
i.imgur.com/khT5ZcI.jpg

“We’ve solved the mystery,” Vila announced nonchalantly, “and your security camera worked perfectly.”
“Well of course it would. What do you expect?” Avon replied confidently.
“Before you start extolling your own virtues as a security advisor,” Blake began, “May I suggest that you see the fruits of your success?”
“It makes for interesting viewing,” Jenna smiled.
“And most enlightening,” Cally put in.
“Zen, run the security camera footage,” Blake requested.
Avon stared at the main screen and was stunned to see who it was stealing from the strong room…him.
Blake smiled a self satisfied smile.
“Well?”
“It was you all along,” Vila pointed out.
“Actually,” Gan said, “There’s more. Why don’t you ALL watch it?”
And there, as the minutes rolled by, were Jenna, then Cally and finally, Blake himself…all entering the strong room and exiting with handfuls of treasure.
“Everyone, but Vila and me…”
“And you all call me a thief,” Vila wailed.
“I’m sorry, Vila. All right Gan, so where is this treasure that we’ve taken?” Blake asked,” I haven’t got it.”
The others shrugged; they obviously had no idea where their midnight ramblings were taking them.
Gan sat back in his seat, a wry smile on his face, “That’s for me to know and for you ALL to find out!!!”

GanMiniMe
Ohhh, Lurena, now I need a cold shower too!!

stormypetrel
JustBrad- proves old doesn’t necessarily mean useless! Although I hope Dayna’s granny went in for baggier outfits than her granddaughter if she had to conceal a shotgun about her person...

Littlesue- I like your explanation for Avon’s jacket! And it neatly explains his later predilection for leather. Nice!

GanMiniMe- LOL, but poor Mr Lancelot. I hope they manage to sew him up...

Littlesue #2- Gan taking the initiative- maybe that’s why they don’t let him too often!

And great pictures from Lurena, tooSmile

littlesue
Stormy..thankyou for your kind comments.

GanMiniMe
In retrospect I feel that I should apologise to anybody who likes Tarrant and does not like how I’ve treated him here. I know he is brave and daring; but I just couldn’t resist...

Travisina
GanMiniMe wrote:

In retrospect I feel that I should apologise to anybody who likes Tarrant and does not like how I’ve treated him here. I know he is brave and daring; but I just couldn’t resist...

No apologies necessary, GanMiniMe - it was an entertaining story!
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

GanMiniMe
Thank you Stormypetrel and Travisina for your encouragement . My first ever piece of fan fiction- the first piece of any type of fiction I’ve written since I was a teenager! I think I may have caught the bug now...

M1795537 OC Virn
How far back can one backdate a ficlet? A family crisis prevented me posting this last year. Anyway, here's one I wrote earlier....

Outerwear

Liberator hung above the frozen moon.
"High radiation, temperature way below freezing....just be sure your suits don't leak," Dayna warned.
"This friend you owe the favour to... trustworthy are they, Vila?" asked Tarrant.
"Typical. Because it's my friend, you start..."
"Retrograde orbit," interrupted Avon, "At apogee Neso is sometimes -"
"Outside Earth's security zone. I said," grumbled Vila, "But not often, and not for long."
Soolin and Dayna exchanged resigned glances, saying nothing.

Rogan viewed the scene sourly.
“How much further down?”
“All the way, you know me!” the student replied, busily scraping back soil.
“The survey says it all. Leave it, Tam.”
“Nope.”
Rogan moved away. Technically, it was regolith, not soil, he corrected himself, and Tam was wasting time chasing details. The dig had already proved the colony's self-inflicted collapse. Nothing to renew his reputation here. Damn! His suit was overheating again.

"Liberator? You're sure?"
"Yes, Ma'am", the mutoid replied.
"Neptune? What do we have there?" President Servalan demanded.
"Nothing permanent, Ma'am. Currently an archaeological team on one of the moons."
She frowned. The Liberator and archaeologists? Unlikely, but there had to be a connection.
"Alert security. I want a squadron out there. And have my ship readied for launch."

Energy: it took a lot to survive here, Tam reflected, because Sol was very far away. How had the Nesites done it? She grinned, remembering that first sparkle in the dust. Since then, she'd uncovered enough to be sure. It all made sense now.
She'd finally be able to end the tuition debt that bound her to Rogan's oversight, even buy herself out of the Federation, with a bit of help. Vila owed her, didn't he?

Servalan skimmed the records. Neso's ancient Terran colony was destroyed in a civil war over a century ago and not replaced. Nothing of interest. But something had attracted the Liberator's crew. What was worth the risk?

"Never tried grave-robbing before," commented Vila, watching Tam carefully strip the body's outer layer.
"Yet another string to your bow," muttered Avon. He and Vila had teleported down safely, but it was taking too long.
"Look," said Tam.
Recognition eased Avon's face into a smile. Feldonite! No crystal bigger than a few microns, woven into the fabric she held.
"Ingenious," he allowed, "The Feldonite gathers enough energy to heat the wearer."
"Micro-multiplies it. Worth a fortune," added Tam, "It explains the colony, the war, everything. Didn't tell Rogan: he'd take the credit."
"How much is there?" asked Vila.
"Enough. The deposits are mined out, though. Most of what they'd extracted and used exploded when someone threw nukes. These four must have died underground, shielded."
"Fortunate. For us, I mean," Vila grinned. His communicator buzzed.
“Federation ships approaching,” Dayna’s voice warned, “How come I’m not surprised?”
“Time to leave,” said Avon.

Servalan's ship landed. The old exology report she'd found, suggesting feldonite on Neso, explained a lot. Her mood darkened considerably when she discovered only a temporary dome, a few startled archaeologists, and no answers.
You're not sulking, I hope?

stormypetrel
Well, M...Virn, they do say good things are worth waiting for Smile
One in the eye for Servie!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.40 seconds
35,103,814 unique visits since 8th January 2014