Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,294
· Newest Rebel: jds12

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
Formula One
Spaceship Dispatcher
Are there any others on Horizon who enjoy a good F1 race? Its a couple of years since we last had an ongoing thread on the sport, but the opening race in Australia this year motivated me to start a new one. I'm definately liking the new engines! The smooth growl of the turbo-chargers powering up followed by the whistle as the throttle is cut; my fellow location visitors know how I'm a sucker for such things*! Its nice to see the Williams and McLaren cars doing better again this year, but it looks like the Mercedes works team have a head start. Will it be Hamilton's second title or will Germany have a new World champion at the end of the season? Or will Daniel Ricciardo recover from the disappointment of his first race controversy to become a champion for Australia?

*the dictionary describes this as: "to like something so much that you cannot refuse it or judge its real value" which pretty much covers my love affair with the sound and feel of turbo charged engines! Grin
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 14 March 2015 09:59:47

President Solvite
Also big F1 fan here..

I'm also a fan of the new engines, more economical and an important incentive to try out new technologies which are already starting to appear in road cars. Okay they are not the old turbos from the 80's but I think F1 should reflect the current economic climate and the impact we all have on the world's resources.

The initial race in Melbourne was a good one, plenty of action, overtaking opportunities, improved tyres, and many of the safety features proven to work.

All in all a thumbs up from me...

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Spaceship Dispatcher
President Solvite wrote:

Also big F1 fan here...

As a technical minded person, what's your view of 'the great fuel flow monitor software controversy' and the Red Bull of Daniel Ricciardo being disqualified?

President Solvite
Well there are going to be many teething troubles with any new technical monitoring of fuel.. And even if the fuel monitor is faulty it doesn't mean that DR should get away with an unfair advantage (excessively rich fuel mixture) Drivers in the past have been penalised for not enough fuel in the tank, excessive wear on the board, and defective mounts (potentially unsafe, even though nothing happened). It is interesting to note other teams made it through the steward's scrutiny.

This is not the first controversy and no doubt this will be not be the last. We have had many over the years, from crossing pit lane lines, drivers leaving the track and gaining advantage, drivers being restarted (and not being penalised) cars being inappropriately repaired, pitstops and so on..

Personally I am very sad for Daniel, but obviously the stewards are following rules and wouldn't do anything without good reason. Whilst Red Bull may appeal, I believe that it will be one of those things they will learn from. Whilst not being a big fan of Christian Horner personally, he is a very shrewd team boss and he'll learn from it. he will no doubt get everyone to focus on the next race and ensure that they are within tolerances for next time.

Possibly it should be a penalty for the Red Bull team and not Ricardo, (been done before) as it was a 'team error', but I also think if in doubt then an official's decision is final. (you win some and lose some) Once the appeal has been processed whatever the decision everyone involved should move on and focus on the next race, which I'm sure they will and are doing.

Tries to remember an F1 season where there was NO contraversy..

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm likewise sorry for Ricciardo as a driver, the innocent party as it were, and especially so since it was a memorable home result. As you say, they shouldn't be allowed to benefit from an unfair advantage. But I also suspect they will win the appeal, if its true that the monitor used in the race was one that the stewards had already acknowledged was faulty on the Friday and asked to be reused with an 'adjustment' to the readings! Its all a bit of a mess really, but at least the issue has reared its head early on. I recall a couple of disputes involving the Benetton in 1994, when Schumacher won his first title, that had been 'going on' since the first race but only became disputed half way through the season and caused a lot of acrimony...

President Solvite
Only a couple??

Ahh the '94 Schumacher incident.. Where he drove into Damon Hill at a corner to deny Hill the Championship (and get it for himself)

He tried a similar trick to Villieneve in '95 but he came off worse with that one.. Went into the gravel trap (oh how I laughed at the natural justice in that incident)

Michael is no doubt a superb driver, but he does have a knack of driving into people or forcing people of the road, throughout his career.. Even his ex-Ferrari team mate Reubens Barrichello.. though again MS got correctly penalised for that one too. Nevertheless hope he recovers from his recent tragedy it seems to be a common fate with F1 drivers - Remember Nannini when he had an arm severed in a helicopter accident?

Looking further back (not necc driving incidents) but Prost/Senna & Mansell/Piquet & Hunt/Lauda... this goes back ever since the championship started.. in 93? Schumacher being stolen from Eddie Jordan, and being snatched up by Benetton.. Team Orders over the years etc..

This year its fuel flow monitors, yup been there done that. But who cares if there is some great racing? Politics and rule evasion is part and parcel of F1.. I do miss Murray though , the current team are great but you can't beat a legend.

trevor travis
Schumacher undoudtedly had an illegal car in 1994... it was suspected right from the off; Senna stayed around in Japan around his retirment from the race to listen to Schumacher's car, because it sounded different to all the other cars on the grid, as it had traction control burried in the computer programming.

Senna's death then placed the emphasis on safety, rather than Bennetons cheating, but subsequntly several of key staff at Benetton have admitted the car was illegal.

As for this year, it does vary things up again and I got up at 6am for the first race, something I wouldn't have bothered to do last year, which was very drab and boring.

It does seem that the driver can now make more of a difference again; so it will be interesting to see how the season develops.

Spaceship Dispatcher
President Solvite wrote:

But who cares if there is some great racing? Politics and rule evasion is part and parcel of F1...

Absolutely! There have been some excellent years lately. Not last year obviously, but a couple of championships have gone right down to the last race in recent times; one of Vettel's titles and when Hamilton won.

Re. the 1994 Australian Grand Prix - I have rewatched the replays several times over and come to the conclusion that, while MS did block the road with a damaged car, Damon Hill did contribute to his own downfall with a lack of patience. On the on-board footage from Damon's car you don't see MS hit the wall, so he didn't know that MS' car was damaged and therefore didn't know anything more than his rival was going slowly. It could have been mechanical or a half spin for all Damon knew, and that was a tight and narrow corner. It was totally reckless to try the overtake rather than take the closed gap as an advantage and look to pass down the straight. Yes, MS was wrong to block. But Damon didn't know that MS was damaged and from his POV it was just a straight overtake, so it was a bit daft. He repeated these wild overtakes at inappropriate corners twice in 1995, and they both resulted in accidents too...

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
He repeated these wild overtakes at inappropriate corners twice in 1995, and they both resulted in accidents too...

Ahem, Michael Schumacher delibrately slammed on his brakes in front of Damon Hill in the 1995 British Grand Prix, while the incident at Monza was caused by a backmarker veering in front of Hill, Hill taking avoiding action... into Scumacher.

Damon Hill was about as honest and nice a bloke as you get in F1.

K9 Block
I love F1 but it's really annoying me at the moment.

I'm not an Aussie but my sister lives there and had dual nationality so supported Mark Webber... I supported his chin Wink

Now we are supporting Jenson and Daniel and yet again RedBull, please add appropriate pooh word after Bull, have scre*ed an Aussie... again.

Honestly that should just not happen, they need to sort it out!!!
i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww343/kaybj/Kay2/Kay3/dd8e8f03-329d-4004-aca0-df7705902ff8_zpsa2d35f80.jpg

"Avon's gadget works!"

http://www.justgiving.com/Kay-Douglas2

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Damon Hill was about as honest and nice a bloke as you get in F1.

Honest, but not a thinker behind the wheel like Senna or Prost sadly.

Re. the 1995 British Grand Prix - yes, MS braked hard. They both did, because they were going into the corner far too fast to make it around. It was obvious that Damon would have to be level going into the corner to stand a change of an overtake, but he was behind as they turned in and only came level as they collided. He was trying too hard and wasn't out to cause an accident, but he just wasn't a great tactical racer. He treated F1 the same as he treated motorcycle racing before it and went for everything 100%, but that's not always the way. Glad he won a title in the end though.

President Solvite
With F1 you have to be on the edge to win.. MS unfortunately was closer to it than most.

It is easy of course to judge from the armchair, but from within the cockpit lines of sight are much more limited.

Spaceship Dispatcher
President Solvite wrote:

It is easy of course to judge from the armchair...

Oh yes! I win every race from my armchair Grin

trevor travis
President Solvite wrote:

With F1 you have to be on the edge to win.. MS unfortunately was closer to it than most.

It is easy of course to judge from the armchair, but from within the cockpit lines of sight are much more limited.

Indeed.

I always think Schumacher took up one particular facet of Senna - that to win at all costs.

But the difference was Senna could justify his actions (if even the argument was flawed), whereas Schumacher couldn't. He never justified those incidents with Hill and Villeneuve, or parking it across the track in the qualifying at Monaco.

The real shame is that Schumacher could have still won 6 championships and around 85 races, without tarnishing his career in the way he did.

Of course, I do wish Schumacher the best in his recovery.

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

President Solvite wrote:

It is easy of course to judge from the armchair...

Oh yes! I win every race from my armchair Grin

Wait until you're one point ahead going into the final race, and I deliberately crash my arm chair into yours Grin

K9 Block
^ Shock
i734.photobucket.com/albums/ww343/kaybj/Kay2/Kay3/dd8e8f03-329d-4004-aca0-df7705902ff8_zpsa2d35f80.jpg

"Avon's gadget works!"

http://www.justgiving.com/Kay-Douglas2

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Wait until you're one point ahead going into the final race, and I deliberately crash my arm chair into yours Grin

LOL LOL Grin

President Solvite
What made me laugh is the 98 Belgium Grand Prix...

Hill has an amazing win in the Jordan, and of course Schumacher gets into a tizzy when he goes into the back of a retiring Couthard!!

We then see an enraged Schumacher try and pick a fight with DC in the pit lane.. Hehehe natural justice my friend, now you know what it feels like even though it was MS' carelessness (ignoring a yellow flag) that proved his comeupance.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have just listened to the Chinese GP on the radio...

Three in row for Lewis, and really dominant this time! And another Mercedes 1/2... Grin

President Solvite
Been off for a few days, but a commanding performance from Lewis..

Perfect race, got Pole and lead from beginning to end.

Mercedes have trounced the opposition in terms of engines, and being the 'works' team Mercedes have maximized their advantage which in all likelihood will remain for the rest of the season.

Good on Riccardo not to be held back by Vettel..

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.65 seconds
35,159,358 unique visits since 8th January 2014