View Thread
blakes7online » Blake's 7 » B7 Classic
 Print Thread
B7 Episode You'd Least Want Your Friends to Watch
Cygnus Bazza
We've all been there (probably). There's a TV show we love that we recommend RIDICULOUSLY highly to our friends. Eventually they get round to watching it - but, thanks to ess-oh-dee's law, the episode they tune in to is a complete embarrassment, a total turkey. And they take it as cast-iron confirmation that you really are utterly clueless when it comes to matters of televisual entertainment.

So which B7 episode would you least like your non-B7-literate friends to sample as their introduction to the series? Sarcophagus for me, followed at a respectful distance by City at the Edge of the World, The Keeper and Stardrive. There are a few others too, but these would be the credibility-busting biggies, I think. Lest I be judged and be thought to have completely lost my marbles.
She made you tea, asked for your autograph - what a laugh!
 
Paula
It's a draw between Dawn of the Gods and Animals.
Resist the Host




 
Cygnus Bazza

Paula wrote:

It's a draw between Dawn of the Gods and Animals.

Yep - both strong candidates! 'Animals', in particular, would take a lot of explaining.
She made you tea, asked for your autograph - what a laugh!
 
Travisina

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

We've all been there (probably). There's a TV show we love that we recommend RIDICULOUSLY highly to our friends. Eventually they get round to watching it - but, thanks to ess-oh-dee's law, the episode they tune in to is a complete embarrassment, a total turkey. And they take it as cast-iron confirmation that you really are utterly clueless when it comes to matters of televisual entertainment.

So which B7 episode would you least like your non-B7-literate friends to sample as their introduction to the series? Sarcophagus for me, followed at a respectful distance by City at the Edge of the World, The Keeper and Stardrive. There are a few others too, but these would be the credibility-busting biggies, I think. Lest I be judged and be thought to have completely lost my marbles.

Good grief, Cygnus B - you've listed two of my favourite eps!

Though admittedly, I wouldn't show City to a newbie as it relies heavily on knowledge of characters, especially Vila. Likewise Sarcophagus, and Rumours of Death - which was one of the first eps I ever watched and it had zero effect on me as I hadn't seen 'Countdown' or got to know Avon.
There is no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
Travisina
For me, it would be:
Hostage
Voice from the Past
Dawn of the Gods
Ultraworld
Moloch
Series 4 'Power' to 'Assassin' (inclusive)
Blake - not because it's bad, it's one of the very best - but because of the massive spoiler that could put anyone off watching the series.
There is no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
Brad

Travisina wrote:

For me, it would be:

Blake - not because it's bad, it's one of the very best - but because of the massive spoiler that could put anyone off watching the series.


Story time. It was the mid 80's. I as working at a consumer electronics store. Every Sunday night I would tape Blake's 7 and bring it in the next day. The satellite tech (a brand new thing) and I would watch the episodes between customers. A new hire (smart lad and friend of mine), who was working the summer between grad school and going off for his PhD (told you he was smart) joined in, and asked if we could watch from the beginning. I was more than happy to oblige.

Turns out year prior in Buffalo, he had seen episode 52. So he had the spoiler, but he'd spent the intervening year trying to find the show so he could 'see how things got to that point.'
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
Modthra
 
Cygnus Bazza
Top-quality tale, Brad. I wonder if your colleague did the same thing with Peyton Place?

Dawn of the Gods is a good shout from Travisina/Paula. I'd definitely counsel anyone sampling B7 for the first time to avoid any of the episodes which stray too far towards the 'kid' end of the 'kidult' spectrum.
She made you tea, asked for your autograph - what a laugh!
 
OneSparePart
Voice from the Past for the acting of LeGrand and the terrible script. Harvest of Kairos because you can't explain those spiders to a non fan. Stardrive cos the baddies are so naff.
But I would definitely show them the equally terrible Assassin because it is so gloriously bad it is brilliant.
There's an angel standing in the sun Free to get back home
 
Cygnus Bazza

OneSparePart wrote:

But I would definitely show them the equally terrible Assassin because it is so gloriously bad it is brilliant.

Which brings us neatly to the flip side of the question: which episode would you MOST want your friends to watch? And to take that a step further, is there a definitive/quintessential B7 episode - not necessarily the best or your favourite, but the one that encapsulates most effectively what the show was all about? It would have to have Blake in it, naturally. And Servalan. And not be one of the 'wacky' ones. Tempted to say 'Star One'. What do you all think?
Edited by Cygnus Bazza on 08-08-2022 18:16
She made you tea, asked for your autograph - what a laugh!
 
Travisina

Cygnus Bazza wrote:

OneSparePart wrote:

But I would definitely show them the equally terrible Assassin because it is so gloriously bad it is brilliant.

Which brings us neatly to the flip side of the question: which episode would you MOST want your friends to watch? And to take that a step further, is there a definitive/quintessential B7 episode - not necessarily the best or your favourite, but the one that encapsulates most effectively what the show was all about? It would have to have Blake in it, naturally. And Servalan. And not be one of the 'wacky' ones. Tempted to say 'Star One'. What do you all think?

Definitely 'Seek-Locate-Destroy', which in fact is the episode that I show friends / family who've never seen B7. It's a great ensemble piece - the crew are all in place, each one gets a share of the dialogue and action to showcase their skills. We get some of Blake's back story, and a fab introduction to Servalan, Travis and Federation politics. (My mother's reaction to Servalan: 'Ooh, I like her!)
There is no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
M1795537OCVirn
Fairly predictable from me:

Not watch (ever): BLAKE. Close seconds: SARCOPHAGUS, BOUNTY, HEADHUNTER. (And any that don't have SERVALAN.)

First watch: SEEK, LOCATE, DESTROY. Close/almost equal seconds: SAND (just because), RUMOURS.
"You're not sulking, I hope?"
 
Paula
Rumours of Death, Sarcophagus, Blake, Orac..... some of my favorites.
Resist the Host




 
Travisina

Paula wrote:

Rumours of Death, Sarcophagus, Blake, Orac..... some of my favorites.

Mine too!
But (Brad's friend notwithstanding) not necessarily the ones to show someone who's never seen B7 before!

When I first started going to Horizon meetings, people would choose which eps to watch on video, and 'Rumours' was a strong favourite, for obvious reasons. But I'd hardly seen any B7 at that point, and it would be years before I'd get to see 'Countdown', so it didn't have much effect on me.

Sarcophagus is brilliant, but out of the ordinary and relies on knowledge of the characters, espeically Cally and Avon.
Orac... possibly, it's a very strong story - but it's the culmination of the first series and the final appearance of Travis 1, so possibly not for newbies, either?
There is no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
OneSparePart
Duel. It is apart from the main story but you get the idea of the fight against tyranny. Plus it has action, comedy and a bit of insight into all the characters.
There's an angel standing in the sun Free to get back home
 
Travisina

OneSparePart wrote:

Duel. It is apart from the main story but you get the idea of the fight against tyranny. Plus it has action, comedy and a bit of insight into all the characters.

Plus it has some superb camera work / directing, and great dialogue, especially the lines added by Chris Boucher Wink
There is no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
 
Obsidian
Coming in a bit late here, but for some reason I find I really don't like Ultraworld. I can't find any redeeming features in it and The Core is embarrassing. Voice from the Past is pretty shocking also. I find it hurtles me right back to the 1970s and not in a good way. Dated, one might say. More embarrassment. Not one to show friends and especially not enemies.

I understand what Travisina means about showing anyone Blake but, rather like Brad's friend, when I finally clawed my way back to B7 having thought for years that I'd missed the final episode, the 'final episode' that Google and YouTube offered me was Blake. I watched it and, rather than not making sense of it, I could fully accept the ending given the bleak nature of B7, but then simply HAD TO find out what had led there. Of course, I found that I'd missed Terminal and a whole extra series. As a 'first time' episode it's a real teaser.

These days I find 'The Way Back' isn't a bad introduction, but I still put my money on Star One for excitement.
Don't philosophise at me you electronic moron.
 
https://www.seraglio-design.com/
Cygnus Bazza
A few random additional thoughts. Still edging towards 'Star One' as the best one to show a non-B7er. It might even pique a bit of curiosity and lead them along that 'how did the story get to this point?' slippery slope to fandom. What's absolutely for certain is that it'd be quite perverse to choose an episode without Blake in it - not sure I could be bothered doing all the necessary explaining, for one thing. And I mean Blake in his pomp, without the battle scars. 'Seek, Locate, Destroy' and 'Duel' both have their merits, but they're a little early in the piece and still slightly 2-d (in the sense that the actors, inevitably, don't quite inhabit their characters as they do further down the line).
She made you tea, asked for your autograph - what a laugh!
 
Moon Disc
Adding my twopenny's worth, it would be POWER for me. Sexism, racism, domestic violence - by gum, it's grim. One watching was enough for me. Never watched it since. Awful.

I'm also with Cygnus Bazza in nominating SARCOPHAGUS. Not because it's bad - get past the silliness at the beginning and it's a solid story - rather because it's atypical of the series.

On the other hand, if I was recommending an intro the series, I'd probably say AFTERMATH, but then I'm biased because that's where I started all those years ago and never once - call me silly - did I wonder who Blake was or why his name was in the title. Oh, to be that young and naive again!
 
Jump to Forum