Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,294
· Newest Rebel: jds12

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [44 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [29 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [34 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [26 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 204
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you reading?
One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

Finished 'Blood Rites' - book 6 of the Dresden Files (loving this series).

Now lost in the Australian outback with crime/mystery/thriller 'The Lost Man' by Jane Harper (for the book club ). Trying to wrap my head around the sheer size and scale and distances and heat involved. Blimey!

One of my reading groups did The Dry by same author. Very good read. Coincidentally picked up her 2nd book whilst shelving at work and got interested again. She is in the air!
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Now lost in the Australian outback with crime/mystery/thriller 'The Lost Man' by Jane Harper (for the book club ). Trying to wrap my head around the sheer size and scale and distances and heat involved. Blimey!

One of my reading groups did The Dry by same author. Very good read. Coincidentally picked up her 2nd book whilst shelving at work and got interested again. She is in the air!

Seems to be!
I've already read 'The Dry', which I liked a lot - but according to a friend, 'The Lost Man' is even better.
My views are my own.

VILA: I'm entitled to my opinion.
AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7

Lee Bagnall
Some "Dempsey & Makepeace" fanfic, from Fanfiction.net. There's been updates from some of my favourite writers in the genre.

Geordiechick especially has the pair spot on and her writing is really good.
"Seldon, Janov. Space Commander. Alpha 14922. Name, rank and serial number. That's all you're getting!"

rojkerr1
I like the d and m novels, think the writer was told to tone it down!?

One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Seems to be!
I've already read 'The Dry', which I liked a lot - but according to a friend, 'The Lost Man' is even better.

I look forward to working my way to it. I have read a few Oz novels via the reading group. I am really impressed with what I have read so far. They know how to write atmosphere, these Oz authors.

rojkerr1
new book for xmas ghostland by edward parnell, references to wicker man and some of my fave tv... lost worlds of 2001. Quatermass experiment first edition 59, got all 3 now orange cover penguins

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Travisina wrote:

Seems to be!

I look forward to working my way to it. I have read a few Oz novels via the reading group. I am really impressed with what I have read so far. They know how to write atmosphere, these Oz authors.

Update: Finished 'The Lost Man', and it's excellent. It is indeed better than 'The Dry' (which was pretty good, anyway). Well written, with reveals and twists as the story unfolds, and fantastic descriptions of the outback and those who live in those extraordinary conditions.
My views are my own.

AVON: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.

Lee Bagnall
Currently slogging my way through Frank Freschino jnr's "Shoot them Down! The Flying Saucer Air Wars of 1952"

Hard going, because the book itself is too wide, so you get lost in it, plus it could do with a good edit. He tends to repeat things.
"Seldon, Janov. Space Commander. Alpha 14922. Name, rank and serial number. That's all you're getting!"

One Spare Part
Just finished reading a children's book:
The Midnight Guardians by Ross Montgomery.
IT IS BRILLIANT. If you love Narnia, you will love this. Great story, great characters, it is thrilling and heart warming in turns. I wish I had friends like the friends in this tale. Wonderful.

Hugbot
This week, I received the last batch of reprints of the legendary Air Pirate pulp series (episodes 149 to 165). In the final ten installments, they introduced a new recurring antagonist who tries to hunt down Captain Mors. His new nemesis is called Tom Grant.
Now I am waiting for Del Chadbon to appear...

JustBrad
Hugbot wrote:

This week, I received the last batch of reprints of the legendary Air Pirate pulp series (episodes 149 to 165). In the final ten installments, they introduced a new recurring antagonist who tries to hunt down Captain Mors. His new nemesis is called Tom Grant.
Now I am waiting for Del Chadbon to appear...

Those Grants are everywhere.

Del
Ulysses S.
Hugh
Ginger
Cary
Richard E.
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

Travisina
One Spare Part wrote:

Just finished reading a children's book:
The Midnight Guardians by Ross Montgomery.
IT IS BRILLIANT. If you love Narnia, you will love this. Great story, great characters, it is thrilling and heart warming in turns. I wish I had friends like the friends in this tale. Wonderful.

Thanks for the recommendation. I do love Narnia!
Sadly, Borrowbox doesn't seem to have it. I'll have to wait for the library to re-open.

Meanwhile, I've just finished Le Carre's 'The Spy Who Came in from the Cold' and am about to begin Pratchett's 'Feet of Clay'. And 'Exit Wounds', a collection of short stories by contemporary crime writers (Lee Child, Dean Koontz etc) - which I really shouldn't read last thing at night, because they're all rather gruesome. Cosy crime they ain't!
Edited by Travisina on 06 March 2021 17:32:31
My views are my own.

One Spare Part
I am about a 1/4 of the way into Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson.
KSR has been on my list of 'authors to read' for a long while. Finally got around to him with this book from 2015. KSR has written an ideas based SF novel while still maintaining human interest. Given that the book is, in part, narrated by the ship the human side to the novel is brilliantly conveyed. I have to say, being unscientific (but with an interest in science & science fiction), a lot of the ideas/problems to be solved in the book go over my head somewhat. But I am enjoying the challenge. The basic storyline, so far, is that we join a ship on its journey through space just as it is teaching its destination. It is blowing my mind...will all the problems faced on the multi generational voyage spill out onto the new earth, Aurora? Will they survive?
I need to know.

rojkerr1
sounds good sparepart, currently going thru all my douglas r mason john rankine r m douglas books. same guy and my fave writer! love his style.

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

sounds good sparepart, currently going thru all my douglas r mason john rankine r m douglas books. same guy and my fave writer! love his style.

Am trying to get as many S1999 novels as I can find, speaking of John Rankine.

Lee Bagnall
Various reference books on the RAF, specifically those on the De Havilland Mosquito. Apart from doing the research for potential decal sheets, I'm trying to identify the aircraft used by 618 sqn. They were to have attacked the Tirpitz with a smaller version of the bouncing bomb called Highball. It would have been a suicide mission. Other than a solitary Mosquito T.3, I think I have them.

Travisina
Apart from our monthly Pratchetts (currently 'Lords and Ladies' ), I'm reading an anthology of short crime fiction stories, plus the next on my pile of Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - 'Dead Beat'.
Bubbling under: 'Latin for Dummies' (I've always wanted to learn Latin, missed out by growing up overseas where the second language was... er... English).
My views are my own.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm working my through (almost) a full set of Carola Dunn's Daisy & Alec Fletcher crime mysteries and enjoying them immensely. They're a kind of literary equivalent of television shows like Father Brown (the current version anyway) or Frankie Drake
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 21 April 2021 11:30:22

One Spare Part
Travisina wrote:

Apart from our monthly Pratchetts (currently 'Lords and Ladies' ), I'm reading an anthology of short crime fiction stories, plus the next on my pile of Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - 'Dead Beat'.
Bubbling under: 'Latin for Dummies' (I've always wanted to learn Latin, missed out by growing up overseas where the second language was... er... English).

I learnt all my latin from reading Asterix.

JustBrad
Inspired by the BBCA series The Watch, I am re-reading Terry Pratchett's Guards series for the first time in years. I knew they were good, but had forgotten just how brilliant they are.
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.98 seconds
35,160,822 unique visits since 8th January 2014