Code of Conduct - Moderators
- 15 Jan 2022
- Website and Technical
- 874 Reads
A "Moderator" is defined as a registered Blake's 7 Online/Horizon site member who has been given pre-defined editorial duties in the site forum. Moderators are identified by either the word "Moderator" or "Administrator" which will appear beneath their username in the site forum.
Moderators are bound by the Code of Conduct for Moderators in the forums where they are listed as Moderators.
All Moderators are bound by the general forum rules which apply to all users of the Horizon site forum.
The Horizon site Administrators reserve the right to add or remove forum Moderators at any time, subject to reasonable explanation on request.
Technical Powers: in any forum where they are listed as a Moderator, all Moderators have the technical facility to edit/delete all posts in whole or part. They are able to move, lock and delete threads and to "sticky" and "unsticky" threads. They are able to renew ["bump"] threads.
Technical Powers: only Administrators may ban, delete or blacklist user accounts. Only Administrators may grant or remove Moderator/Administrator powers.
All Moderators agree at all times to act in accordance with the general Blake's 7 Online/Horizon site forum rules, and to always act in the best interests of both the site Administrators and the site membership.
All Moderators agree to act in an impartial manner when acting as Moderators. Further, Moderators agree that if they feel they cannot act in an impartial manner in a particular case, they will immediately refer the matter concerned to the site Administrators and/or to other Moderators acting in the same forum where that matter has arisen.
All Moderators agree to be accountable to the site Administrators for all actions they undertake as Moderators, and to provide a full explanation of their actions to the Administrators if requested to do so.
The Administrators agree to fully investigate complaints from site members about Moderators. In such cases, the allegations and/or actions of the Moderator(s) concerned will be considered against both the general site rules and this Code of Conduct.
The Administrators further undertake to support all Moderators against unwarranted abuse from members, whether in the site forum or by Private Message.
Duties and Responsibilities of Moderators
It is the responsibility of site Moderators to assist the Administrators in the smooth running of the Blake's 7 Online/Horizon site forum. Where appropriate, and subject to the general forum rules and this Code of Conduct, the Moderators may:
- contribute directly to threads (for example, to request calm, a return to topic etc.)
- send Private Messages to members (for example, to help resolve a problem, or to ask for posts to be edited by posters)
- send Private Messages to members issuing a warning about forum behaviour
- immediately and without consultation edit or remove posts that obviously contravene the general forum rules
- draw to the attention of the Administrators any potential forum problems
- issue warnings to members via Private Message
- lock and/or delete threads in the absence of a site Administrator, subject to the general forum rules and this Code of Conduct
- assist members with problems using the forum, or with the behaviour of other members
Moderators agree to be accountable to the site Administrators for all Moderation actions.
Moderators may not:
- abuse their position for personal gain in any way
- act in a manner liable, in the view of the Administrators, to bring the Blake's 7 Online/Horizon site or its Administrators into disrepute
- speak on behalf of the Blake's 7 Online/Horizon site or the Administrators unless given express permission by the Administrators to do so, or unless such an action is a part of their duties (for example, sending a Private Message to a member requesting an edit to a post)
- act in a biased manner when carrying out Moderator duties
All Moderators are permitted to contribute to forum debate as ordinary site members. All Moderators are entitled to express their own opinions as site members, subject to the general forum rules. Where the stance of a Moderator is unclear (i.e. whether comments made in the forum have been made as a Moderator or as an ordinary site member), a clarification may be requested by site members and/or by the Administrators.
Complaints Against Moderators
Any complaint from a registered site member about the actions or behaviour of a Blake’s 7 Online/Horizon site forum Moderator should be made to the site Administrators, either by email or by Private Message. The complaint should include the name of the Moderator concerned, the timing and nature of the allegation/complaint, and (where possible) an URL to the point(s) in question. The Administrators undertake to investigate all complaints fairly and as quickly as is reasonably possible. Complaints will be considered against both the general site rules and this Code of Conduct.
In any circumstance not expressly covered by the general forum rules or this Code of Conduct, the Horizon site Administrators reserve the right to act in the manner they deem most appropriate after investigation and consultation with any/all parties.