Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
May 2015 Fanfic Challenge
Travisina
Fantastic new submissions!
@ Anniew - great dialogue - really captures the essence of both characters.

@ PC - Clever, moving, scientific and poetic - all four seasons as states of matter. Kudos!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew
PC you are so clever. I wanted to do a story about Avon and Blake being different sorts of matter but didn't have the science to make it work ( not even imperfect physics.)
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Hugbot
More great entries ... four of them! (... while I am stuck with a run-of-the-mill sci-fi idea that seems to get more loop holes with every passing day ...)

Walk a mile: Begins like a funny Vila story, but becomes a psychological story about Avon. I especially like (a) how you defy the reader's expectations, (b) using Avon's gear as a mechanism to give insight into his psyche and (c) Avon's knowing reaction in the end and the fact that you did not explain it (that was always my weak point ... epxlaining too much too explicitly).

Matter: TN introcuded Orac as some sort of Laplacean Demon, but that was never mentioned again (actually, his suicidal behaviour in Blake - not allowing Slave to sound the alarm about the incoming raiders - is not what a supercomputer with 'prophetic' abilities should do ... ). It was a good idea to re-examine this topic again ... and in such an evocative way. I love your playing on the meanings of 'mind' and 'matter' ... and the bitter 'punch line' at the end (really feels like a punch in the stomach ...).

Travisina wrote:
Whether they would have believed him, and whether, in the end, it would would have made a difference.

Interesting question. By coincidence, I rewatched 'Das blaue Palais' (The Blue Manor) last week, a classic German sci-fi series from the 1970s about a bunch of scientist in the eponymous manor house. In one episode, they did some parapsychological research. The 'medium' they examined was an 18 year old factory worker with the ability of precognition. She didn't get on very well with the researcher, and eventually she phoned her boy friend (a member of a rocker gang) to take her home. She said she was afraid and had the feeling that 'everything went dark'. When he arrived to take her home, she got onto his bike and told him to 'drive as fast as he could'. They set of ... and the screen faded to black.

All that matters:

Anniew wrote:

I've always been interested in the line between legitimate protest and terrorism. And how far I'd go if my survival was at stake! I'm glad the dialogue worked for you.

Another set of interesting questions. Great that you asked them ... and great that you did not answer them. (As the creator of another famous sci-fi series would have done ... and I would have done in the nauseatingly moralising stories of my twen years ...). The dialogue would make a fascinating audio play, by the way. I'd love to hear that!

States of matter: A fascinating read. In my teenage days, I wrote a sci-fi series together with a friend, and I used to say that out respective topics were the Big Ps: physics and philosphy in my stories, politics and psychology in his. (Times have changed ... today, I am more interested in psychological stories myself.) You have managed to successfully combine physics and psychology! I wouldn't have thought that that would be feasible, but it was very convincing. And no physics nitpicking from me although I have studied a little physics.

Anniew
Hugbot your comments are so interesting and generous they make any writing I do doubly worth while! I always learn something from them. Thank you for taking the time . Xx

meegat39
States of Matter is very clever and good PC. Here's my favourite line "Avon hides his pleasure at Blake’s words behind a contemptuous smile." I love the Avon/Blake relationship and anything that alludes to it. Lovely.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Travisina
Hugbot wrote:

Matter: TN introcuded Orac as some sort of Laplacean Demon, but that was never mentioned again (actually, his suicidal behaviour in Blake - not allowing Slave to sound the alarm about the incoming raiders - is not what a supercomputer with 'prophetic' abilities should do ... ). It was a good idea to re-examine this topic again ...

Travisina wrote:
Whether they would have believed him, and whether, in the end, it would would have made a difference.

Interesting question.

I've always found the ideas of prophecy and fate fascinating - and whether by trying to fulfil / avoid what you've been told is going to happen is what actually makes it come true. If Macbeth had not been told by the witches that he would become king, would he have become king anyway - but by a different means than murder? Or was his meeting with the witches part of a bigger prophecy?

In the B7 context, I've wondered why Orac, who was quite happy to show off his prediction about the destruction of Liberator in Orac/Redemption, never said a word about the same in Terminal. But even if he had, would it have made a difference to the eventual outcome?

JustBrad
If not you then somebody else. Killing you'll change nothing. You don't matter enough to kill, Travis.

"Do you remember those words, Blake? Travis had tortured me, used me as bait in a trap, and you said he didn't matter. Did I matter? Travis killed untold innocents on Auros. Did they matter, Blake?"

"Travis lowered the defense grid, allowing the aliens in. How long did the fight last, Blake? How long have we been in constant combat? How many planets have been devastated? How many died who wouldn't have died if you had killed Travis when you had the chance?"

"You could leave a bomb on the Ortega, killing pirates and murderers at a distance, but you couldn't bring yourself to kill the biggest murderer in the Federation face to face. What's more, you wouldn't let me do it, or Avon do it, or Jenna do it. You let Travis live, even after he threatened the only family you have left. I think you lied, Blake, not to us, but you yourself. Travis must have mattered very much. You wanted him to live so he could see you win, so he could know that you were right and he was wrong. That's it, isn't it? Now it's too late. Travis is dead and none of us may last another day."

Blake slowly opened his eyes. "Sorry, Cally, must have dozed off."

Cally heard the click-click of heeled boots echoing down the corridor. "Jenna is back. It's time to get you to a life pod."

Blake struggled to stand. "I'm sorry, what were you saying?"

"It doesn't matter."

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

I've always found the ideas of prophecy and fate fascinating - and whether by trying to fulfil / avoid what you've been told is going to happen is what actually makes it come true. If Macbeth had not been told by the witches that he would become king, would he have become king anyway - but by a different means than murder? Or was his meeting with the witches part of a bigger prophecy?

The best prophecies are the ones that come true, but in a way you couldn't foresee, like Burnham wood come to Dunsinane. In this, GRRM has thus far proved himself a genius. As for Macbeth, the evil witches use prophecy to tempt Macbeth. Once tempted, he acts, and thus the prophecy is self fulfilling.

Travisina
@ Brad - What a clever idea, basing a scene on Blake's line 'You don't matter enough to kill, Travis'.
Economical, yet extremely powerful storytelling, neatly done!

Anniew
Brad, I loved that! So much said, implied, understood in so few words. Great story telling!

meegat39
I also loved it Brad. You made a good point about Blake not killing Travis and speculating why not. Smile

Spaceship Dispatcher
@ Brad - Really liked that one! The powerful events of Star One itself often get overlooked in favour of the unseen War or the darker period from Terminal to Blake, but there are so many issues raised in that episode. And the idea that Cally has the insight to express them, but that her courage in saying them out loud is undermined by Blake slipping into unconsciousness, is rather clever. Nicely done.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

littlesue
@JustBrad
So good and very thought provoking.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Lorna
Very interesting, Brad! Some relevant points brought up in this short story!!

Hugbot
It's no sign of great art to describe a character thoroughly in a 1000-page novel ... but it is when you manage to do it with so few words as you did, Brad! Great! That is exactly the Blake that we know. Pretending to be asleep while someone tells him the bitter truth ... that's spot on!

purplecleric
@Brad - There's me: struggling to rein myself in and keep to within 500 words - and there's you: delivering an insightful, understated piece, half the size!

littlesue
From Lurena and me

A Matter of Time

He didn’t know who the Engineer was, only that the person seemed very capable…even bright; by the usual Administration standards anyway.
He only knew him by his nomenclature: GT12245.
The people on high had demanded that. They didn’t want anyone working on this project to actually know who was who. That way, no-one would feel impelled to form an alliance and hold the Federation to ransom.
And it was some project.
Matter Transmission: To send a solid object like a radio signal, from one place to another. Instant Transportation.
At least, that was the theory.
So far it hadn’t worked, insofar that nothing had emerged alive, as yet.
He knew that the Administration was growing impatient. They wanted results. Whoever solved the problem would be very rich; very rich indeed.
And then someone had discovered a new alloy: Aquatar.
And the new Engineer had determined to solve the problem once and for all.
-GT 12245 to PD20541: I need an analysis of the following….-
-PD20541 to GT12245: It will take an hour……-
-You have 30 minutes-
They never spoke: all communication was carried out via an antiquated voice recognition system that translated their spoken words to a screen.
That way, even if they should meet in person, they wouldn’t know if the other was the recipient of the growing antagonistic 2 way ‘conversation’.
Which made for some very long periods of enforced boredom waiting for the other ‘expert’ to finally reach a conclusion.
And that enforced boredom was beginning to eat away at him.
Even as this rather overbearing person had constantly thrown down a challenge, he was thinking of other possibilities.
His skill with computers was obvious to all who had met him.
He had often wondered if there was another way to turn that skill to his advantage. And recently he had met someone who inspired him to show proof of his abilities.
Now he had begun to formulate a plan. A scheme that could make them both so rich that no one could touch them.
But this time he would carry out that plan alone without the need of an accomplice. The last time, his ‘partner’ had disappeared so quickly once the authorities had discovered the fraud.
But he had held out during the subsequent questioning.
That man was still out there, at large. One day, soon, he would call in the debt.
Yes, he would have to do it alone and he would plan it precisely…maybe while waiting for that impatient Engineer to report back on the latest computer analysis.
Why not?
The longer the periods of inaction the more perfected that plan became.
What had finally pushed him was when he had replied that it would take 5 minutes…
-You’ve got….-
-I know…..two.-
i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/smallwondersue/a%20matter%20of%20time_zpsqzqmv0tm.jpg
Gradually, the Engineer’s demands lessened, so he found himself with more time to kill.
Then one day his request for an update went unanswered;
-PD20541 to GT12245: How are things progressing?-
No reply.
Further efforts to make contact with this unknown engineer who was so bright, if not stubborn and demanding, went unacknowledged.
It puzzled him.
What had happened?
Then the diktat came from down on high.
The Project was cancelled.
Which irritated him just a little. If he could have discovered how to make this alloy work he would be have been rich; very rich. He may have even allowed that Engineer to share his good fortune; whoever he was.
But there was always the other plan.
He would put that into action.
The Federation banking system would never know what had hit it.
Then he would be free.
The fate of that mysterious Engineer no longer worried him.
Soon he would be beyond the Federation.
It was only a matter of time………………………
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Anniew
Sue/Lurena very nice. I love the GT PD reference. And the sense that their lives touched so nearly. Love your web stories too. Thank you. And as usual, lovely illustrations. When they were young and innocent.

meegat39
I also loved it! Very clever, subtle and nicely done.

BradPaula
Wonderful story, Sue and Lurena. And a wink wink to PD and GT. Very good indeed!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
9,108,410 unique visits since 8th January 2014