Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Writing - Where Do You Do Yours?
Travisina
Ellen York wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

I'm more of a spontaneous writer, and it's rare that I'll change things when reading them back because I like my work to be an expression of how scenes appeared to me when I was 'in the moment'; being quite self critical, I would end up changing everything, not liking it anymore, and throwing every story away!

This makes me feel a bit better about my self critical side. I'm making my first hesitant attempts at fic with the monthly prompts and am afraid they are horrible. If someone as prolific as you still has doubts, then it may just be part of the process (at least for some of us). Wink

Ellen, I think we all have doubts - I know I do. And from the Tweets I read by professional writers in the genre, it does seem to be fairly normal to be insecure about one's writing!

But as far as B7 goes, Horizon is a very friendly environment in which to test the fanfic waters - rest assured, we won't bite!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Hugbot
littlesue wrote:

I have been known to walk upto the shops talking to myself, which can be fun!!

Sounds familiar Grin ... although I have become a little more careful with rehearsing scenes in this way. As I child, I once demolished a lamp in our living room while planning an action scene.

trevor travis
After the writers workshop at BFD6, I now work out the finish first, and then work out how to get there. Grin In particular, my four-parter was written with planned cliff-hangers, although Part 4 was a brand new invention devised shortly after writing Part 2 (to begin with, it was supposed to finish as Part 3 finished).

I often think out the whole story in my head before typing anything (normally on the way to work), it's then all done on computer (as Tarrant points out, fingers are designed to type, not write Grin ), mostly done at work when I really should be doing something else, and normally written and posted quite quickly (hence the edit you often see on my stories, after I spot a typo my previous proof-reading hadn't spotted).

PS Already have one of my May stories in my head, which proves Vila's adage that "Stealing is quicker!" Wink

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

PS Already have one of my May stories in my head, which proves Vila's adage that "Stealing is quicker!" Wink

Er... aren't you supposed to write in response to the prompt?

Travisina
trevor travis wrote:

After the writers workshop at BFD6, I now work out the finish first, and then work out how to get there.

I tend to have the beginning and end fairly clear, and then work forwards and backwards until they meet in the middle. I find the middles hardest to do...

Anniew
Trevor what's BFD6? I'd love a writer's work shop. We write in quite similar ways but sometimes I get an idea for an opening and I have no idea how to end the story. I write bits here and there and sometimes get lucky when other people's stories give me an idea what direction to take. Sometimes not and they remain unfinished. Long haul writing is the hardest!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Big Finish Day, where you can attend classes run by the writers of the audios (and then pump them for inside information when the class is over)
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Er... aren't you supposed to write in response to the prompt?

I normally do, but after reading someone's else story for April, I already know what I want to do in May Wink

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Big Finish Day, where you can attend classes run by the writers of the audios (and then pump them for inside information when the class is over)

I got it wrong then - forgot to do the pumping. Next time, if I remember, I'll take along the interrogation table with me Grin

purplecleric
Travisina wrote:

Ellen, I think we all have doubts - I know I do. And from the Tweets I read by professional writers in the genre, it does seem to be fairly normal to be insecure about one's writing!

But as far as B7 goes, Horizon is a very friendly environment in which to test the fanfic waters - rest assured, we won't bite!

Ellen, I second all that Travisina says - Lord knows I plague her with my insecurities enough!

And the challenges are intended to be fun, and a chance to experiment, not a competition. If you're worried why not send your piece to someone in a PM for a bit of private feedback first...

purplecleric
Hugbot wrote:

littlesue wrote:

I have been known to walk upto the shops talking to myself, which can be fun!!

Sounds familiar Grin ... although I have become a little more careful with rehearsing scenes in this way. As I child, I once demolished a lamp in our living room while planning an action scene.

...and I rope PCM in as well, after some careful explanation that he's not really supposed to hit me...

Mistletoe12
Ellen, I would be very interested in reading your stories. Hope you take the plunge! Grin

Anniew
I want to be a fly on the wall when Hugbot PC and Littke Sue practice their action scenes. Perhaps you could re-enact this when we meet up.

What a magically creative little boy you must have been Hugbot. I'd have loved to be your Teacher.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Ellen York
Hugbot wrote:

I am very amused by the thought of little Hugbot acting out story-scenes in the living room. Hope you didn't get in too much trouble over the lamp.

Ellen York
Thanks everyone for the supportive comments. I do tend to be my own worst critic Sad
I actually have an idea for this months prompt, hopefully I can get it written out soon (I'm running of of month).

Moon Disk
Travisina wrote:

Having 'fessed up to writing my ficlets on the 8.43 commuter train (A5 notebook, cheap ballpoint pen, cup of station tea to hand), I'm curious to know where and how other writers create their stories.

Do you have a 'special place' where you like writing?
Do you prefer background noise, music (which?) or silence?
Do you prefer to write at certain times of day? Do you set aside specific times, or fit it in whenever you have a spare minute/hour?
Do you prefer to write by hand or straight on to a computer?

Share your secrets here!

I tend to write late at night or early in the morning, straight onto the computer. Silence or noise, doesn't matter when I'm writing, but silence definitely when I'm editing. I need full concentration to pick out the typos and errors, which in the past have included some real howlers that were actually published.

That's just the writing, the boring part I always think. A good plot can strike at any time and I ruminate over it until it becomes all consuming. I've also been known to think up a good title and come up with a story based on that. In my mind, I always start at the conclusion and work backwards, thinking in terms of scenes and cliffhangers which get broken down into chapters. The rest then gets draped on that loose framework, along with any additions that occur in the course of writing.

What's worrying is that I've recently returned to a story I left hanging and found that not only can I remember what's supposed to happen in the unwritten scenes, but the dialogue too. I can't fault my memory, but I do worry when I find I can recall plots from several years back, but I can't remember what happened yesterday!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.40 seconds
9,170,022 unique visits since 8th January 2014