Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 1
JustBrad

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Big Finish B7 books
Ela
Just re-reading this thread.

Apropos of nothing particular, the marmite comments upthread are making me want marmite. I have some right here in the kitchen. Wink

Last Space Rat
I've finally read Trevor Baxendale's Criminal Intent and this book too was spoiled for me by poor proof reading and editing. The story was an enjoyable romp until the third part when the author/editor appeared to have lost track of how many mutoids were on the prison ship, the number of the pod that was jettisoned and even whether Cally had her boots on! I've read a fair number of Baxendale's Doctor Who novels and was delighted when I found he was writing for Blake's 7 but this has tarnished his reputation. I'll probably give Kate Orman and Jonathan Blum's Mediasphere a chance but if this novel is afflicted by the same lack of care that has characterized all the other B7 novels in this range Big Finish will lose a customer.
Edited by Last Space Rat on 25 August 2015 16:45:26

Anniew
Mm marmite. Make mine some toast Ella! Or a cup of hot marmite. Yum.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

pointman1101
I think books are ok, but you must remember that these authors are given an outline of a story and ask to write a novel not all of them are fans of the series. I would like to see the fans of the series given the chance to write some of the story.

BradPaula
I understood that most if not all of the Big Finish book authors are or have been fans of the series. In fact, they seem to wax nostalgic at every opportunity to inform fans that they indeed are fans. Same goes for most of the Big Finish directors and producers too. How do I know? I've been lucky to have met most of them.

I also have read that the author submits an outline for a story and it's up to the producers to decide if it's suitable and if it should be expanded and made into an audio or book.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

guiser
At least a couple of the writers in the "Anthology" book have previously written B7 fanfic, or so I understand. Indeed there was an open call for stories for the Anthology which did allow interested fans to submit. Pity they gave such short notice, though!

Also, back in the 80s, Peter Anghelides did a fanzine called "Frontier Worlds" that featured B7 content (though it was primarily Doctor Who orientated). The titles of the articles that he himself wrote for that publication suggest that he was pretty heavily into B7 at the time! See fanlore article http://fanlore.or...ier_Worlds. I also understand that he, at least, did a lot of detailed homework before writing his mini-novel and audio. I think he was actually on Horizon at some point asking the fans for their opinion on something or other!

Of course, however enthusiastic some of the writers are or have been about B7, it is possible that some mistakes in the fine detail may still be made!

Ela
Anniew wrote:

Smile

Travisina
Ela wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Smile

Mmm... Marmite. I had some today on a jacket potato with butter. It does make an excellent hot drink (sometimes I put in a dash of lemon juice, too - works really well). Gorgeous stuff Smile
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Ela
Travisina wrote:

Ela wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Smile

Mmm... Marmite. I had some today on a jacket potato with butter. It does make an excellent hot drink (sometimes I put in a dash of lemon juice, too - works really well). Gorgeous stuff Smile

It's one of those things. Either you love it or you hate it. Wink

Spaceship Dispatcher
Marmite...

YUK!!!

Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Joe Dredd
Last Space Rat wrote:

the author/editor appeared to have lost track of how many mutoids were on the prison ship, the number of the pod that was jettisoned and even whether Cally had her boots on!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who notices these things.

guiser wrote:

Peter Anghelides did a fanzine called "Frontier Worlds" that featured B7 content (though it was primarily Doctor Who orientated). The titles of the articles that he himself wrote for that publication suggest that he was pretty heavily into B7 at the time! See fanlore article http://fanlore.or...ier_Worlds

Not to mention Tariel Cell (and Tarial Cell) - see fanlore.org for that, too!

Ela
I've only bought one of the books so far, it hasn't really grabbed me, I have to say. Still haven't finished it.

I did enjoy Paul Darrow's post-series 4 audio book, though.

Joe Dredd
I'm trying to get going with Mediasphere but the writing just isn't grabbing me yet.

Spaceresearcher
Ela wrote:

I've only bought one of the books so far, it hasn't really grabbed me, I have to say. Still haven't finished it.

You poor person, if that's 'The Forgotten' I completely understand. It has some OK moments but it's not the best Blakes 7 fiction I've ever read, there's far better fan fiction out there. All I can say is that there's better books in the series to come. Don't be discouraged by the authors either, Cavin Scott and Mark Wright are capable of writing good stories as well.

Ela
Spaceresearcher wrote:

Ela wrote:

You poor person, if that's 'The Forgotten' I completely understand. It has some OK moments but it's not the best Blakes 7 fiction I've ever read, there's far better fan fiction out there. All I can say is that there's better books in the series to come. Don't be discouraged by the authors either, Cavin Scott and Mark Wright are capable of writing good stories as well.

Yeah, it's The Forgotten. I still haven't gotten beyond the first chapter.

Maybe I'll give it another go after I finish the pile of Bernice Summerfield books I've acquired. Working my way through them gradually. And then I have the latest Expanse novel to read. Smile

BradPaula
Joe Dredd wrote:

I'm trying to get going with Mediasphere but the writing just isn't grabbing me yet.

It took me about 2 months to slog through it. To me it seemed to be an already written story where the Blake's 7 characters were dropped in haphazardly. I am sorry, but having Dayna dropped off on Mediaphpere to sing and dance her way into some intricate plot with the rest of the crew was way beyond what I see as Blake's 7. Dayna singing and dancing. Vila writing drama scripts? And Cally, Tarrant and Avon only on the periphery of the story was a big disappointment. I'm afraid none of the books published so far have been up to what I think a Blake's 7 novel should be.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.36 seconds
9,109,338 unique visits since 8th January 2014