Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Big Finish B7 books
meegat39
Ela wrote:

I have to say I've heard very mixed things said about Paul Darrow's Blake's 7 books. But I did get the Lucifer audio book and thought the story held together pretty well. It started out slow, but I got interested as I listened.

Wish there was a Like button on here Grin
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Ela
meegat39 wrote:

Ela wrote:

I have to say I've heard very mixed things said about Paul Darrow's Blake's 7 books. But I did get the Lucifer audio book and thought the story held together pretty well. It started out slow, but I got interested as I listened.

Wish there was a Like button on here Grin

Smile

Anniew
Paul Darrow's books are the marmite of the Blakes 7 world. A love marmite.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I hate Marmite, but I like Paul's novels Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

meegat39
I love Marmite Smile

Mistletoe12
Raised on Marmite - toast, crumpets ... it's all good!

I'll shortly be listening to a certain someone read his book on disk 5 of the Revelation audios. Just like marmite, I love it! Smile

Anniew
That's my next months treat Mistletoe12 if I can afford it. A month of marmite yeasty goodness courtesy of Mr D!

meegat39
Yum!

BountyHunter
Think I'll be checking out Paul's books soon.

Mistletoe12
BountyHunter wrote:

Think I'll be checking out Paul's books soon.

Grin You made me smile, BountyHunter

BountyHunter
Have to finish watching the series though. Still have a season to go!

Spaceship Dispatcher
The Forgotten was quite good, like a novelisation of an episode that never was, but I didn't enjoy Archangel at all; it was too much of a pure horror-genre novel, too macabre for my taste. After that, I didn't carry on with the books other than Paul Darrow's trilogy which I collect on audiobook only.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

guiser
I know I'm raining on folks parade here, but I wasn't keen on A:ATA (more of a problem with the prose than anything else) so I'm not prepared to buy the Lucifer books unless someone says that they are an improvement. Like dragonq, I never managed to finish A:ATA.

As far as the other Big Finish novels are concerned, I liked "The Forgotten" and "Criminal Intent" and though I preferred the latter, I think that the former is worth buying at the discounted price. "The Forgotten" is an enjoyable enough adventure, though nothing spectacular. The only thing that grated slightly was a paragraph in which the villains were described as looking stereotypically villainous (something oddly more cringeworthy in print than it is onscreen!). I still haven't finished Anthology (I found the prose in the 1st and 2nd stories slightly clunky so I skipped forward) but the 3rd story was rather amusing. I've now sent for Archangel so I will see what I think of that.

Actually, for folks that are interested in the Lucifer books, there is an interview with PD in the the latest issue of Big Finish's downloadable Vortex mini-magazine (No. 74) where he talks about the 3rd book in the trilogy. According to his interviewer, the book will "re-visit some of Avon adventures on the Liberator ...But, things aren't always what they seem!".
Edited by guiser on 29 April 2015 19:51:16

Anniew
Lucifer and Lucifer Revelation are better written than AATA, the latter the better of the two. They're not literary masterpieces but for me, the saving grace is that the novels are written with verve and relish and are not pretentious. For me the conversations between Avon and Orac are the best things in Lucifer Revelation. They have stayed with me in the way the over the top episodes of the series do. I love AATA for the reasons I give in my article on it but the Lucifers are better stories, with a touch of Egrorian grotesquely I enjoy. Hope this helps.

guiser
Anniew wrote:

Lucifer and Lucifer Revelation are better written than AATA, the latter the better of the two. They're not literary masterpieces but for me, the saving grace is that the novels are written with verve and relish and are not pretentious. For me the conversations between Avon and Orac are the best things in Lucifer Revelation. They have stayed with me in the way the over the top episodes of the series do. I love AATA for the reasons I give in my article on it but the Lucifers are better stories, with a touch of Egrorian grotesquely I enjoy. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I'll keep what you have said in mind. Even if the print books sell out, it looks like the ebooks will still be available.

Last Space Rat
I read The Forgotten when it first came out and found it to be quite enjoyable but the high number of typos was really frustrating and the fact that the novel as a whole suggested poor editing (e.g. characters' names got mixed up). This really put me off the but the permanent price reductions of the Big Finish novels has tempted me to part with my cash and I've picked up Archangel and Anthology. Again I enjoyed both but again that enjoyment was marred by the poor editing and too many typos! I appreciate that Big Finish are a small publishing house but really all three books could have been made better with improved editing and proofreading.

Joe Dredd
Last Space Rat wrote:
all three books could have been made better with improved editing and proofreading.

I totally agree. I was surprised they were released in such a state. My 'favourite' was the space station revolving on it's 'access' instead of it's axis.

I haven't read The Forgotten since it came out but I was also surprised by how much it cribbed from particular episodes ("Hostage" and "Breakdown" from memory) and mucked up continuity (e.g. making Blake wrong when he says they'd never flown without Zen in "Breakdown").

Last Space Rat
To be fair Cavan Scott did comment on a post (that I can't find anymore) that the second printing of The Forgotten had "been thoroughly corrected" for typos. I don't know if Archangel ever went to a second print run but all the typos are still in the ebook that I downloaded to check. I would have thought that would be an easy fix to make. Of course that would not address the poor editing! My feeling with Archangel was that the conclusion of the story appeared rushed and ended rather abruptly. It almost felt that I was reading an unedited first draft and that about half a dozen scenes were missing.

MLPasterisk
I read Lucifer: Genesis this afternoon.

I would definitely say it's the best of the trilogy although it has the same flaws as the previous books, ie some rather OTT violence and a leading man who seems more like a one man army than the Avon of the TV series.

SPOILERS FOLLOW :

The book falls into three sections.

The first is a prequel focusing mostly on the young Servalan but also establishing the young Avon as well. Again, an Avon fluent in Cantonese who also seems to be a trained assassin doesn't really ring true to what we saw in the series.

The present section runs in parallel to the TV show, as Darrow retrofits elements of his version of Blake's 7 to what we saw in the show. I found this section the most interesting, although the continuity is a bit wonky in places (as is acknowledged at the start of the book !)
It has been suggested that Big Finish only have the rights to use elements from the first three seasons and this book certainly seems to substantiate that. The fourth season is mostly skipped over and Scorpio, Slave and Soolin don't even get a name check.

The final section is a coda to the "post Gauda Prime" plot of the previous two novels with the Rambo style Avon taking on his enemies. It ties up the storyline from the previous novels and brings the trilogy to an end.

There are a couple of glaring and annoying typos early in the book.

Anniew
Despite all its flaws I loved the book. It has such an end of an era feel - I found it involving and moving.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.56 seconds
9,816,753 unique visits since 8th January 2014