Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: Wooks63

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Is there any reason why I should bring myself to watch The Web
dragonq
Ok, here is my embarrassing admission. I decided that I was going to watch B7 again from the very beginning. I watched the first few episodes with pleasure, and now I have reached The Web and I simply cannot bear the thought of watching again. All I can think of are those wretched little Decimas running around squealing, and I don't know what's worse, Decimas running around squealing, or the Decima that cries. AAAAARGH! I love Blake's 7, but even the fondest fan has to admit that there are some truly dreadful episodes, and while this one is by now means the worst, I'm inclined to agree with Sue Perryman when she called the chap in the fish tank an alien catheter cock monster.

So, can anyone give me a good reason why I should waste another 50 minutes of my life on this drivel?

sweevo
Just skip the episodes you don't like and focus only on the major story-based ones. This is the order I recommend:

The Way Back
Space Fall
Cygnus Alpha
Time Squad
Seek-Locate-Destroy
Deliverance
Orac
Redemption
Pressure Point
Trial
Countdown
Gambit
The Keeper
Star One
Aftermath
Power Play
City At the Edge of the World
Rumours of Death
Terminal
Rescue
Power
Traitor
Stardrive
Orbit
Warlord
Blake

trevor travis
The Web has one or two problems, but is essentially a sound episode. And the Decimas are alright.

Sweevo, you don't like Duel, Project Avalon, Shadow, Sacrophagus, Death-Watch, Sand or Gold?

Anniew
Disconnect the rational mind, engage thrusters to lunacy, fire up the imaginators, and go.

There are incidental pleasures to be had on the journey, not the least Avon's look of absolute incredulity that Blake would give a fig for the little lettuce men ( bit of a mixed vegetable metaphor there) and I find the final scene truly horrific!

Wait to you get to the sentient flea. My regret there is that there is no itchy pay off for Blake.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

JustBrad
Embrace the badness. Love it, own it. Enjoy it. Revel in it.

When the Decimas attack, sing the Munchkin song from Wizard of Oz.

We represent, the glass breaking guild, the glass breaking guild, the glass breaking guild, and in the name of, the glass breaking guiiiiillllld.....

sweevo
trevor travis wrote:

The Web has one or two problems, but is essentially a sound episode. And the Decimas are alright.

Sweevo, you don't like Duel, Project Avalon, Shadow, Sacrophagus, Death-Watch, Sand or Gold?

I don't dislike them, TT - I just don't think they develop the overall story (Blake/Avon's fight against the Federation), although they do help to build the characters.

trevor travis
Personally I think there are 49-and-a-half good episodes of B7 and only two-and-a-half bad ones.

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

Personally I think there are 49-and-a-half good episodes of B7 and only two-and-a-half bad ones.

Taken in the perspective of a fan who takes his avatar from Animals. Pfft

All kidding aside, I would still rather watch a bad episode of B7 than a good episode of almost anything else.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

All kidding aside, I would still rather watch a bad episode of B7 than a good episode of almost anything else.

"Animals" is one of my two-and-a-half bad episodes Wink

But Og is wonderful Pfft Pfft Pfft

Anniew
trevor travis wrote:

oh me too.!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

peladon
sweevo wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

I don't dislike them, TT - I just don't think they develop the overall story (Blake/Avon's fight against the Federation), although they do help to build the characters.

Have to disagree on Duel - it frames the essence of the fight between Blake and the Federation, or Project Avalon - which shows Blake doing rebel connected things as well providing more information about the nature of the Federation and the scale of the opposition to it overall. The others I'd probably agree with but Sarcophosgus is about the nature of Avon and his relationship with the crew and Death Watch is about the nature of warfare, the Federation and Tarrant so they seem valid given the shift in contex for the third series.

Rodney
I'd watch them all again, in order. There is something worth watching in every episode, even the worst ones, and The Web is by no means one of the worst ones. The head in the tank is far more effective than the body in the tank in Moloch!
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

briggsy1
The Web has a special place in my heart, as it's the first B7 episode I remember watching as an impressionable 7yo.
The moral of the story seems to be If You Leave Your House Don't Forget to Lock the Front Door Behind you.. or God know's what could happen!
Good things about it: I like Blake's show of morality here and the fact that he cares about the fate of the Decimas - contrasted with Avon's indifference and looking out for No.1.

littlesue
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Oh, absolutely.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
The Web has its moments, and has some interesting crew interactions and debatable moral issues.
That said, I think it should have been a later episode in the series - maybe between Duel and Project Avalon - because having established the crew, it would have been nice to go directly to Seek-Locate-Destroy and establish the baddies. Also, S-L-D still features Cally-the-warrior, rather than Cally-the-vulnerable-to-being-taken-over-by-psychic-forces.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

BradPaula
A good reason to invest 50 minutes of your time to watch The Web again? It's Blake's 7 and that means even the worst of Blake's 7 is better than most things. And besides, we only have 52 pristine episodes to cherish. Embrace the little algae critters- just pretend they're moldy Ewoks.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
Travisina wrote:

The Web has its moments, and has some interesting crew interactions and debatable moral issues.
That said, I think it should have been a later episode in the series - maybe between Duel and Project Avalon - because having established the crew, it would have been nice to go directly to Seek-Locate-Destroy and establish the baddies. Also, S-L-D still features Cally-the-warrior, rather than Cally-the-vulnerable-to-being-taken-over-by-psychic-forces.

Doesn't SLD contain Cally-the-getting-captured-then-tortured-then-having-to-be-rescued-by-Blake? Wink

meegat39
Reasons to watch:
Cally bashing Vila around the head with something heavy
Cally flirting with Avon and Avon getting his head turned
Avon grabbing Cally around the throat afterwards in his rage
Jenna getting taken over by the lost
Blake getting his hand healed by a piece of meat thingy
A decima crying over the death of another
Decimas bashing outside of the base, trying not to damage it!
Firing the neutron blasters for the first time
Need I go on??
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

BradPaula
How about the amazing special effects? I'm thinking mainly of the guy in the fish tank- the 'Lost' of Auronare. If you can stomach that you're good.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

dragonq
I am thinking about the guy in the fish tank, aka the alien catheter cock monster (sums it up beautifully, I feel). In fact, he's one of the chief things stopping me watching it again. And I don't buy the thing about even bad Blake's 7 being worth it. I have not watched Animals since it was first screened, and its memory is still green. In other words 30+ years later I still remember it as one of the worst things I have ever seen on TV and I don't need to repeat the experience.

I did rewatch Power recently after many years, and thought it was actually better than I recalled--despite the seriously dodgy gender politics, it was a reasonably well constructed story. I have, however, seen the Web numerous times, and there are no surprises. I am on Avon's side in this one.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.44 seconds
9,449,900 unique visits since 8th January 2014