Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Rewatch - Doctor Who
Spaceship Dispatcher
This evening's rewatch is Doctor Who: The Leisure Hive, from 7.30pm UK time.

Starring Tom Baker and Lalla Ward, this story was the first of the 1980 season; it was also the first led by the new creative team of John Nathan-Turner and Christopher H Bidmead, with the legendary series producer and director Barry Letts on board as advisor. The result here was a colourful yet thought provoking drama about the opportunities and risks of new scientific research, the importance of family and the lengths a people may go in order to provide a future, and about the importance of racial harmony contrasted with the pitfalls of prejudice. A true classic and a great start to an excellent season of the show.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

This evening's rewatch is Doctor Who: The Leisure Hive, from 7.30pm UK time.

Starring Tom Baker and Lalla Ward, this story was the first of the 1980 season; it was also the first led by the new creative team of John Nathan-Turner and Christopher H Bidmead, with the legendary series producer and director Barry Letts on board as advisor. The result here was a colourful yet thought provoking drama about the opportunities and risks of new scientific research, the importance of family and the lengths a people may go in order to provide a future, and about the importance of racial harmony contrasted with the pitfalls of prejudice. A true classic and a great start to an excellent season of the show.

OR....

The fine tradition of the last 17 years of Doctor Who of focusing on fine storytelling, handed down from Verity Lambert & David Whitaker to Innes Lloyd & Gerry Davis to Barry Letts & Terrance Dicks to Philip Hinchcliffe & Robert Holmes to Graham Williams & Douglas Adams is thrown out of the window and replaced with an attempt to focus on flashy, art directing and the result is close to hideous. Plus Tom Baker, who was on such fine form in Horns Of Nimon, is much changed here: (1) he looks bored stiff (2) he can barely bring himself to look at Lalla Ward (3) he is saddled with a very poor costume, which isn’t a patch on what he’s worn before.

Plus we have the most boring start to a story-ever, with a shot down Brighton Beach that goes on forever (zzzzzzzzzzzzz). And where’s iconic Dudley Simpson’s music? And where’s Bernard Lodge’s iconic title sequence? And where’s iconic Delia Derbyshire’s arrangement of the theme tune? All opening signs of the egomania of the incoming producer, that will eventually kill off the classic series of Doctor Who. No wonder Barry Letts could only stand to oversee JNT for a year, and was then fiercely critical of him.

And then there’s Bidmead’s extremely tenuous grasp on science, which is not patch of that of Douglas Adams. Bidmead gave the most bitter-and-twisted DWM interview ever, clearly jealous that Douglas Adams was invited to give scientific lectures and the like, while he wasn’t. Bidmead took David Fisher’s highly-inventive and amusing script (read the novelization for an idea of what Fisher actually wrote) and destroyed it.

No wonder the audience decided to watch Buck Rogers instead!!! As a 7-year-old, I carried on watching, while somewhat befuddled what had happened to my second favourite series (I was too young to understand about egomanical producers and script editors and the like).

The death of the classic series starts here!

Right, now I’ve got that off my chest, I’ll try to watch tonight, without being too critical!! Grin
Edited by trevor travis on 22 April 2015 14:22:08

Spaceship Dispatcher
Dvd loaded and ready!

I'm not a fan of most 80s Doctor Who, but I do love s18 and this is one of my favourite stores from the season.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
Good evening by the way Happy

trevor travis
The beginning of the end...

.... but I'll be nice Wink

Spaceship Dispatcher
Started

BradPaula
Sorry, Started. Been a bit busy today!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm a fan of the original theme, but I do get a real buzz from the Howell version.

Panna
Started, but having to watch it on Bing as I can't find my DVD!
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

I'm a fan of the original theme, but I do get a real buzz from the Howell version.

I like it, but it seems wrong for Tom Baker, somehow.

BradPaula
Brighton! Never been there.

trevor travis
BradPaula wrote:

Brighton! Never been there.

We used to go there every year in December... I still went paddling Grin Grin

trevor travis
Lalla as a sailor!!!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Sorry TT, but this is one of my favourite opening scenes in the whole of Doctor Who; I just love slow tension builders, and there's something about the filming and music that raises my tension level in a good way. How K-9 is damaged while the Doctor sleeps has a sort of tragedy about it.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Welcome aboard Panna! Grin

trevor travis
Proof K9 is completely stupid Grin

Panna
Poor K9. This brings back memories of watching it on PBS when I was 9 or so. We were new to Doctor Who, my mother and I and she thought these two might have been married they acted so close.
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

Spaceship Dispatcher
The idea of danger lurking in a tourist attraction really works for me. There was a novel featuring the 4th Doctor called Festival of Death that was similar and very good!

Panna
Ooh, I loved that fade out effect!

BradPaula
That music smacks of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.92 seconds
9,914,812 unique visits since 8th January 2014