Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
the future of B7 at BF ?
steveothen
There seems to be a lot of speculation on the big finish site that the end of the B7 audios is imminent.
anyone know anything ??
Edited by steveothen on 21 April 2015 11:05:08

clareblues1
I've just been reading the posts on the forum...whilst the announcement is significant I'm fairly certain that BF have enough material already recorded and 'banked' to continue for some time to come.

I would say their primary objective is to clear down CD stock of the earlier releases, but that's all.
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

trevor travis
Stayed tuned to the Big Finish website for more news on some exciting upcoming releases. And hurry while stocks last!

That suggests more B7 is on its way.

MockingbirdGirl
Stayed tuned to the Big Finish website for more news on some exciting upcoming releases. And hurry while stocks last!

Except, of course, that it doesn't specify B7... and the article also refers to "making space for the exciting new projects."

If the license were ending (or not being renewed) and they were going to have to stop selling existing stock, this is exactly how they would try to shift as much of it as possible beforehand.

Anniew
Oh no, I thought at first. BF stopping doing Blakes7 But I know they have another Liberator Chronicle planned for November.,so perhaps I am worrying unduly. I suppose, realistically, that sooner or later they will only be able to continue with anything other than books if they recast ( given the fact that the cast isn't getting any younger) but not yet. Please not yet...
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
MockingbirdGirl wrote:

Except, of course, that it doesn't specify B7... and the article also refers to "making space for the exciting new projects."

That's a strange way to put it out, if that's the case.

"Exciting" for B7 fans means more B7... nowt else.

In any case, they can't stop yet, we haven't had Soolin. Grin

MockingbirdGirl
"Exciting" for B7 fans means more B7... nowt else.

But Big Finish news releases are not aimed at only a single fandom.

Fig Binnish
There is no reason for anyone to believe me, but I do have a glimpse into the inside track at Big Finish, and unless they have some ultra top secret project that they have managed to keep a secret from a great many of the usual suspects, the future of Blake's 7 at Big Finish appears very grim indeed. I haven't heard of any future projects being booked, nor am I aware of any more recordings already recorded beyond the already solicited LC12. The only other Blake's 7 release I had heard vague plans for was the audio reading of the final Lucifer novel (Lucifer Genesis), but even that I haven't heard any real talk of since.

Honestly, most of those who regularly work for, or with, Big Finish tend to gossip amongst ourselves like old women (including me!), so to not have heard so much as a whisper on this side as far as future plans for Blake's 7 goes seems very strange, and decidedly ominous. Just as an aside, though it wasn't announced anywhere near that early, we knew that the second series of full cast a.d.'s had been pencilled in before the first story of series 1 even saw release. So to not have heard anything at all about any future Blake's 7 plans whatsoever by this point, it does not bode favourably at all.

I hope I'm out of the loop, I hope I'm wrong, not just for the fans, or because I'm also a fan, but because I honestly think that Blake's 7 is consistently one of the very best ranges that Big Finish produces. If it were to go out with a whimper like this, well, frankly it deserves better. As do those who put so much effort in to making it, the cast who still have a ball recording it, and all those fans who have loyally supported it.

Unfortunately the feeling that I've been getting of late is that the old "well if we don't say anything for long enough, eventually they'll get the message, and we'll avoid much of the initial fan backlash" card is being played here, which is a favourite of one who shall remain nameless. Everyone knows that once a series gets cancelled, sales pretty much dry up and die overnight, so this feels decidedly like one last shake of the tree, before the begrudging confirmation is given...if it even is.

If that is the case, then I'm of the opinion that they should just be honest and come out and say so, rather than stringing people along with empty hopes, but such things are well above my pay-grade.

In short (too late!), don't get those hopes up, folks. I still hope I'm wrong somehow, that there's some super secret project that the lesser unwashed like myself just aren't privy to, and I completely understand if you disregard everything I say here, but just don't get your hopes up too much. Because going on past experience, that grim gut feeling that you got from reading the news post a couple of days ago is very unlikely to be steering you wrong, I am very sad to say.

And now back to the ether with me.

Joe Dredd
Talk of exciting news reminds me of those announcements I used to see as a kid - "Exciting news inside, chums!" was code that your favourite comic was being merged with another title.

Perhaps BF will merge the B7 line with DW. That would solve the crew issues -- so look forward to the Scorpio Chronicles with Avon, Vila, Tarrant, Nyssa and Teagan as they fight the Federation and the Master in all new stories of... WHO'S 7!

Gauda Cheese
Things do seem ominous, especially when there is a 3 page thread at the BF forum and no one from BF has yet to chime in.

Fingers crossed though.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Before the doom and gloom settles over everyone, one small distinction needs to be pointed out: while Blake's 7 may have been a series on television, on audio in the modern day it is a range; that's to say that it is a collection of products, each individually commissioned. It therefore cannot be cancelled. Other ranges from Big Finish have fizzled due to various reasons, one of which being swamping a limited market with too many releases too soon; a comment that has been made by some about the Blake's 7 range. But equally, some of these other ranges have later been revived in a different form or in one-off box sets or as stories combined with other ranges. Examples of this include Sherlock Holmes, which fizzled out as a series and now returns as annual box sets, and Graceless which finished as a series but has a new story in one of the new compilation sets. Basically, the end is not the end. While a television studio breaks everything up and that's the end of the show, on radio it's not like that; as a long as you have a licence, and we have no news either way on this, and available cast members then you can stand them in front of a microphone. The best thing is just to watch this space and see what happens, and those who wish can of course contact Big Finish individually to make known their support for the brand.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
The best thing is just to watch this space and see what happens, and those who wish can of course contact Big Finish individually to make known their support for the brand.

Or pop over to the Big Finish forum and support the B7 brand on there. Wink

trevor travis
Joe Dredd wrote:

Talk of exciting news reminds me of those announcements I used to see as a kid - "Exciting news inside, chums!" was code that your favourite comic was being merged with another title.

Perhaps BF will merge the B7 line with DW. That would solve the crew issues -- so look forward to the Scorpio Chronicles with Avon, Vila, Tarrant, Nyssa and Teagan as they fight the Federation and the Master in all new stories of... WHO'S 7!

"Buster" actually got better when it became "Buster & Jackpot". Must have been a bit gutting for previous "Jackpot" readers, though. Incidentally, does anyone have any of the "Jake's 7" strips from "Jackpot"?

Joe, no!!!! We can't have a series of Scorpio Chronicles without Soolin! Shock

dragonq
I have to say, that the alarm bells rang for me when they postponed the twelfth volume of the Liberator Chronicles to the end of the year. There was some vague comment about needing to concentrate on other projects, which immediately makes one think that those other projects are of more interest to them. When I saw that the price was being reduced (much to my annoyance, AFTER I had just finished buying the series!) my immediate reaction was "that's the end of it". If it is, I shall be very sad, because I have really enjoyed having the new stories to listen to. On the other, hand, maybe I should just be counting my blessings that we got what we did.

MockingbirdGirl
while Blake's 7 may have been a series on television, on audio in the modern day it is a range; that's to say that it is a collection of products, each individually commissioned. It therefore cannot be cancelled.

That's just not true. The Big Finish Tomorrow People range was cancelled part way through production of series 6; at least three of the episodes had, I believe, already been partly recorded. And even if B7 were to follow the pattern you suggest and return later in another form -- though this has yet to happen for TP -- the odds of reuniting the cast 5 or 10 years down the line seems remote.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Big Finish lost the licence to record and distribute The Tomorrow People, which is why I mentioned the licence as a presently unknown factor in my post. That potential issue aside, the comparison with other BF ranges still stands. Blake's 7 is not a series that can be cancelled, merely a range of separate projects that may or may not continue to be commissioned in the same or different forms in the future. Unless B7m are taking away the licence, for which we have no information either way, then the Tomorrow People scenario is not directly comparable. Regarding your comment that the template I describe has a five to ten year timescale for ranges to be revived, that isn't the case with either of the examples I gave.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

MLPasterisk
Only one Liberator Chronicle left on the schedule. Past releases being discounted and not being restocked. And a deafening silence from Big Finish after what read to me very much like a "farewell" message. I have to say the omens do not look good. Sad

The Big Finish audios have been the best thing to happen to Blake's 7 in years so I would be gutted if they came to an end. Sad

Spaceship Dispatcher
Before jumping to conclusions, it's worth having another look at Brad and Paula's report on the Big Finish panel at a Doctor Who convention last year:

http://www.blakes...;pid=30029

That was only posted five months ago.

trevor travis
But equally, some of these other ranges have later been revived in a different form or in one-off box sets or as stories combined with other ranges.

SD, but the cast are already in their 60s and 70s.... reviving the range later on is not really an option!!

trevor travis

Before jumping to conclusions, it's worth having another look at Brad and Paula's report on the Big Finish panel at a Doctor Who convention last year:

http://www.blakes...;pid=30029

That was only posted five months ago.

Cav Scott said something similar at Big Finish Day 6. He more-or-less they said did have future plans, but didn't want to release them yet. If this is the case, I think they need to respond to people's fears on their forum. Their communication skills are appalling.
Edited by trevor travis on 22 April 2015 17:41:34

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.77 seconds
9,177,346 unique visits since 8th January 2014