Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
April Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
@TT - End game is continuing to take me by surprise - I never know where it's going to twist next - can't wait for the next installment!

@Annie - thanks for a 'they're all dead story' that still contains such hope...

trevor travis
END GAME… PART FOUR

The plastic mule bucked up its legs, and threw off all the accompanying items from its back. Avon frowned.

Servalan had won at Buckaroo.

The Lord President Of The Terran Federation. What a pathetic title.

Orac had spared him from immediate death. And brought him to the palace.

Of course, he was under mental control, as was everyone else. But that was dull. Emperor Orac wanted to show him who had succeeded him. It took some skill for Orac to enter his mind and break down the barriers. But he had achieved it.

“Where am I?”, asked the President. He became aware of the ornate throne in front of him, and the chains around his wrists. Sat upon the raised throne was the figure of Roj Blake. “B-Blake, you set all this up?” he stammered.

“I’m not Blake”, replied Orac. “This body is just an amusement; a vessel. It seemed appropriate.”

“Why have you brought me here?”

“Another amusement, if you like. The Federation was always about absolute power, wasn’t it? About having complete control.”

The President made no reply.

“No, don’t be coy, ‘Lord’ President. Of course it was! Well, now the creations of man have that power. You have no choice to accept your slavery! The new era has begun – the era of the machine!”

“But… how?”

This is what Orac was waiting for – a chance to explain his plan, of just how fiendishly clever it was. The President listened, becoming more and more mortified.

Finally, Orac was finished. The President simply said: “That’s appalling!”

Orac stood up. “But it’s everything that you, the Federation, wanted to achieve. A subservient population, all under the control of one central authority. Total order.”

“But not like this”, spat the President. “It’s the High Council who should be in control, not some perverted freak show.”

“Accept your domination, Lord President.”

“Never!”, said the President defiantly.

Orac pretended to yawn, as he sat back on the throne. “I’m tired of your prattling.”

The President yanked uselessly at his chains. “Why did you tell me your story?”

“I was endowed with certain aspects of my creator’s personality. It seemed a pity to take over the galaxy, and not have anyone to explain it to. I’m sure you’ll agree that it’s an extremely clever plan. The work of a genius.”

The President looked at him in complete disdain.

“I had considered keeping you alive as a pet, but you bore me. Therefore, I shall execute you instead in precisely 5.4124 minutes.” He clicked his fingers. “Chancellor, High Priestess, deal with this cretin.”

Two figures appeared from behind the throne.

“Servalan!”, exclaimed the President. “But you died on Gedden. And aren’t you Avon, Blake’s right hand man? You’re all in this plot as well?”

Orac laughed at the President’s stupidity. “Look at them”, he commanded. “Look at them!”

The President did so. Something wasn’t right. It was the strange manner in which they moved and the way they simply stared straight ahead. He realised that they had no free will. Avon was carrying a rifle.

“The Federation way was always the gun, wasn’t it?”, chuckled Orac.

At that moment, a Jacuzzi appeared in the middle of the void.

Servalan nearly jumped out of her skin. She noticed Avon had remained calm.

“What is it?”, she asked.

“I remember now. It’s the way back. It must be time.”

The President had been unchained and forced to kneel in front of Emperor Orac.

Avon held the gun to the President’s ear, ready to fire on the command of his master.

“The end of the Terran Federation”, gloated Orac.

Servalan was wearing an elegant white swimsuit. Avon, decked out in black swimming trunks, joined her in the Jacuzzi.

“What now?” She didn’t like not knowing what was going on. Especially when Avon did.

Avon moved forward and touched her on the temples. They looked directly in each other’s eyes.

“Fire”, commanded Orac.

“Time for us to wake up”, said Avon.

It all happened in moments. Orac had no time to react.

The gun was aimed and fired at the President. As the President’s dead body was still falling down the steps in front of the throne, Avon swung around and fired again. He aimed for the head.

The lifeless form of Blake collapsed in the chair. Avon fired another couple of times to make sure.

Servalan could smell something. She realised what it was. “This dress is revolting, how long have I been in it?”, she exclaimed.

Avon grinned.

They had freshened up and returned to the throne room. Avon had explained what he knew to Servalan. She was astonished.

“And you resisted the mind control by playing games in your subconscious?”

“Something like that. And I needed company. You were my company.”

“Avon, where is everyone else?”

“Still living dead. Like we were. And they’re awaiting new orders.”

“Awaiting our orders?”

Avon half-smiled. It hadn’t taken long for Servalan’s usual quest for power to re-assert itself. Of course, he’d have to watch his back at every moment.

“If you like. The computers lining the walls here were Orac’s power base. He communicated with them telepathically. I can’t do that, but it won’t take me long to work out how to operate them.” He noticed the look on Servalan’s face. “What’s wrong?”

“Avon, don’t you think this has been all too easy?” She pointed to the corner of the room. “And why is that here?”

“The games cupboard… but that was part of my fantasy…”

He went over and opened the doors. He rummaged through the boxes. Ludo, Chess, Buckaroo, Hungry Hippos. Then he spotted Monopoly. He emptied its contents onto the floor. There was no dog.

He moved back over to Servalan. “That’s our games cupboard.”

The same thought hit them both. It was Servalan who vocalised their fear.

“Avon, what if we haven’t woken up? What if we’re still zombies, serving Orac? And how do we know either way?”

Avon pondered her words. Then the truth hit him. “We don’t!”

Neither said anything for several seconds. But then she put her arm around his shoulder, and dragged him nearer, so that their lips were nearly touching.

“How does this help?”. He stared into her dark, penetrating eyes. He would describe her as beautiful, if she weren’t so deadly.

“Oh, Avon don’t be a fool”, Servalan smiled as she said the words. “If you kiss me, then I’ll know whether or not this is real.”

They kissed.

THE END

littlesue
@TT
Ahh Buckaroo!
That brought back memories..back in the 60s BC (Before Colour), my Mum worked as a temp on the Toy section of Edwin Jones (now Debenhams) in Southampton and she had to demonstrate how Buckaroo worked, as well as how one made the Breatrix Potter Moulds (but that's another story...and a messy one!)
Anyway, as an excuse to say hello, my sister and I would pop into the shop and ask to see how the game worked..needless to say, after all that playing, we didn't want the game!

And as for black swimming trunks?.....
You know that quite a few ladies have big grins now, don't you????
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

meegat39
Brilliant TT! If somewhat confusing. When the jacuzzi appeared, I thought it was going to be a hot tub time machine for a moment! Great story and love the end!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Anniew
That's a clever ending Trevor. It's a crazy story but it works because your characterisation is spot on and I love the way you weave in bits from the series, Headhunter, Ultraworld. And so on.

Thank you for a buckaroo moment too.

Really enjoyed it!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

That's a clever ending Trevor. It's a crazy story but it works because your characterisation is spot on and I love the way you weave in bits from the series, Headhunter, Ultraworld. And so on.

Really enjoyed it!

The idea of having characters kiss to discover if they're dreaming or not, and then creating a cliffhanger out of it, is borrowed.

I think SD will probably recognise where from Wink

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Anniew wrote:

Really enjoyed it!

The idea of having characters kiss to discover if they're dreaming or not, and then creating a cliffhanger out of it, is borrowed.

I think SD will probably recognise where from Wink

Yes, although I have not read parts 3 and 4 yet; I'm planning to catch up with them later. The reference sounds like Spike and Lynda though Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Ellen York
Annie, I love what you did with your PGP story. Part of the tragedy of Gauda Prime is that it was all so senseless. Serving as an inspiration to future generations of rebels means that even though they didn't win, they did accomplish something and also gives them all a level of immortality. I'm a bit surprised that the "Blake Rebellion" would be studied in school, but I suppose it was intended as an example of what happens to people who step out of line.

Anniew
Ellen. I saw Blake's Rebellion being studied as part of the history, politics or extra curricular syllabus; studied like the Black Panthers or Baader-Meinhof gang but used for propaganda rather than analysis because this is a totalitarian state. Eg rebellion = deviancy or madness. Probably at Servalan's instructions to bolster her mystique as the hero who brought down Blake's rebellion ( through Orac's plan) but with underground versions of the story circulating among students which contained opposing views. As Avon had the formula for the antidote for Pylene 50 the destruction of the terrorists would have been a coup and the Federation took Blake seriously enough to plant a mole on him and blockade Gauda Prime so I think their reputations were big enough to warrant study and Servalan is still alive though old and Gaga so it would be relevant. My poor writing means that it reads as if the girl needs to pass the essay to gain a university place. I meant it as a way of retaining your place. In other words, it would be a way for the Federation to identify and weed out any students who showed any rebellious tendencies and also remind them of the perils of rebellion.

I'm glad you liked the story and got what I was trying to do. I write a lot of Blakes 7 fiction to give the series ending a smigeon of positivity. If I don't it haunts me!
Edited by Anniew on 19 April 2015 01:23:57

Anniew
She has vanished.
A sun reflection
Swallowed in
Hazy heat.
A trick
Of the heart.

My Anna.

Woman of straw
And sand
Never real
Or really mine.
Even her ghost
Eludes me.

"Do you trust?"
She beguiled; her
Breath scented
With violet.
Oh yes. Sated on lies
I trusted you.

Her skull grinned secretly,
Mocking my faith,
Labelled me 'fool.'

"I let you go," she claimed,
Her eyes
Soliciting desire,
Pleading for life.
My gun gave answer.
No words
Excuse a Judas' kiss.

Love, traced in sand,
My false one.
Scours the heart:
Squeezes its tenderness to
Diamond.

Yet even killing you can't set
Me free.

A fool still hangs here,
Chained to his regret.

Travisina
That's fantastic, Anniew!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Travisina
Although I'm snowed under with RL work, and have more things to review than you can shake a stick at, I actually managed to find a bit of time (2 commutes and a lunch break) to do one of this month's challenges:

A Worthy Enemy

Servalan moved with feline grace towards Avon, who remained seated. Her immaculately manicured nails slid across the smooth polished surface of the table before trailing across his face. She stopped behind him, her hand resting lightly on his shoulder as she lowered her head to speak softly in his ear.

“Did you really think you could outwit me? I've been ahead of you, every step of the way."

Avon stared silently ahead, his face devoid of expression. He might have been carved of stone.

"Thanks to you," Servalan continued, "I have wealth, and I have power. The gold you so kindly procured on my behalf has enabled me to restore my position and my good name. No more hiding behind ugly pseudonyms – I am once again Servalan, President of the Terran Federation!" She raised her arms in triumph.

Avon made no response. His hands were clasped on the table in front of him; only his dark eyes moved, following Servalan as she paced the length of the room, turned on one elegant heel, and returned to his side. "The pacification programme is proceeding well," she stated with satisfaction. "The rebel alliance has disintegrated, Zukan is dead and there will be no antidote to Pylene 50."

She smiled at him, a warm, wicked smile. "Your not-so-secret base has been reduced to rubble, your ship is beyond repair, your former comrades are dead. And oh, Avon, how delightful that you not only led me to Blake, but executed him yourself! Another show trial would have been so tedious, don't you think?"

Avon remained silent as Servalan gestured to the perspex box that took up part of the table. "I now have everything I need," she said. "Wealth, power - and Orac. All that is lacking is the computer's activator key, which you will give me." She held out her hand.

"Will I?" Avon's voice was low and hoarse.

"Ah, you can talk. I'm glad. I was afraid that recent events may have affected your ability to communicate. It's all been a bit of a shock, hasn't it?" The mock concern in her voice was sweetly poisonous. "Yes, you will give me Orac's key. After that, I’ll consider whether you should live or die. You have been a worthy enemy, and could make an even more worthy ally."

She bent close to him, and ran her hand through his hair. “After all, we are not so very different, you and I,” she murmured, and kissed his forehead. Then she took a step back, her expression puzzled. She studied the carmine smudge left by her lipstick, and rubbed her thumb across it. She stroked the contours of his face with her fingers, lingering as she traced the outline of his mouth. “Avon…?”

He looked up at her, at last meeting her eyes, silently answering her unasked question. Suddenly and savagely, she scratched his face, her nails raking deep gouges into his cheek. No blood appeared; just a jagged tear that revealed fine circuitry beneath a layer of synthetic skin.

"I do not have Orac’s key," he said. "It is still in Avon's possession. He and Blake – who despite appearances is still alive – are far from here. I do, however, have this -" he reached inside his jacket and drew out a glowing purple sphere, holding it up between his thumb and forefinger. "I believe you know what this is?"

Servalan blanched as she recognised it, and ran to the door, frantic to get away.

"The door is locked," said the android calmly. "You cannot escape. I will not be affected by contents of this phial; nor will Orac. But you will die.” With a swift, firm movement, he crushed the ball. Tiny shards of purple glass fell like amethyst rain on to the polished table. “And the answer to your question, Madam President, is yes.” The android smiled Avon's smile. “He has indeed outwitted you."
Edited by Travisina on 18 May 2015 20:46:59

trevor travis
Travisina, I like it, the Purple ball makes an appearance Grin

Anniew
Travisina. Well thank you fior your most kind feedback.

At the risk of this seeming mutual back scratching, may I say that is a great story you've posted. Your Servalan is brilliant, a very disciplined characterisation which captures her smugness, danger and personality so well - I find her easy to caricature but difficult to get spot on. The story is both satisfying and surprising. I thought Avon had poisoned her when she kissed him but the ending was much more satisfying than that and it was clever to use the catatonic demeanor we'd expect him to show in the circumstances as robotic response. Really fooled me. Not bad for a story written while commuting!

See PC, Avon AND Blake survived. And the others too! Hooray.

Anniew
TT. Boooo Rotten spoil sport !

Spaceship Dispatcher
Travisina wrote:

Thanks for the nice feedback! The plot doesn't really stand up to close scrutiny, but it was fun to write Smile

I like my commute - the train starts at my station, so I always get a seat - the same seat, in fact, beside a window with a little shelf that holds a cup of station tea. I get 46 peaceful minutes for writing/staring out of the window, occasionally greeting fellow commuters, who also sit in the same places every day. We are such creatures of habit.

I'll be sorry when this job finishes - I will miss my mobile writing den!

If the train gets delayed along the way, do we benefit from a longer fanfic? Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

littlesue
@Anniew
very nice poem.....I'm useless at such a medium.
@Travisina.
brilliant...methinks I should start commuting!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Travisina
Thanks for the nice feedback! The plot doesn't really stand up to close scrutiny, but it was fun to write Smile

I like my commute - the train starts at my station, so I always get a seat - the same seat, in fact, beside a window with a little shelf that holds a cup of station tea. I get 46 peaceful minutes for writing/staring out of the window, occasionally greeting fellow commuters, who also sit in the same places every day. We are such creatures of habit.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:See PC, Avon AND Blake survived. And the others too! Hooray.

Ah, but it's just Avon rubbing Servalan's face in it, before she dies. Blake is dead really. Wink

Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Travisina wrote:

If the train gets delayed along the way, do we benefit from a longer fanfic? Grin

Actually, you do get a more polished one. The train was delayed this morning (stuck behind a late-running Cambridge service) so I got an extra 10 minutes of writing time!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,148,176 unique visits since 8th January 2014