Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
April Fanfic Challenge
Mistletoe12
Okay, I realise I did this before - a snippet rather than the full story, that's because a) I haven't completed it yet and b, it’ll be MUCH longer than 500 words. Like I said, I really have to train myself to write short stories.

The excerpt may be more than a bit misleading because the story isn't necessary related to how appears from the snippet.

I'm having fun writing this story, not sure if that's a good thing or not! But what the hell, in for a penny, right? Grin

Story Snippet:

A foolish decision to occasionally take it out to contemplate how it all went wrong. Staring at the photograph invariably led to sleepless nights in which he stared into the dark, scratching at imaginary itches on his arms and legs in a futile attempt to fall asleep without his mind forcing him to relive the events leading to his girlfriend’s death.

peladon
Anniew wrote:

I've read some great PGP with resurrected Blakes . Pelladon's are particularly chilling! Others have brought back his clone + memories to recreate Blake. In another story a rebel just called himself Blake ( Avon left him!) I know what you mean - Blake's death defines the B7 universe in all its dystopian glory - but it's fun to play about with it sometimes. In some, Blake and Avon get married as I'm sure you know - though that IS a stretch too far imo. They'd kill each other in a week. Although Blake is always dead in my stories too because that makes Avon so much more interesting to write about.

Thanks Annie, and thanks for this idea too......

https://www.fanfi...-the-world

Edited: To make link clickable
Edited by Travisina on 26 April 2015 21:14:46

meegat39
@Anniew your story is great and very clever!
@Mistletoe12 Snippet? More like teaser! Grin More please...
@Peladon Loved your story and the ideas within it.

Wish I had the guts/time to write something. I sometimes start things but never finish them
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Ellen York
Anniew wrote:

And girls, let's be very clear about this: if Avon's in any shed, airing or broom cupboard, it's going to be MINE and I'll ficlet challenge any one who disagrees.

I want to read the story where Avon appears in your broom cupboard and has to deal with both learning about how things work in this era and the attentions of over-enthusiastic Avon ladies Smile

Anniew
Pelladon - that's so nice and a lovely story! Thank you.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

littlesue
Ellen York wrote:

Anniew wrote:

And girls, let's be very clear about this: if Avon's in any shed, airing or broom cupboard, it's going to be MINE and I'll ficlet challenge any one who disagrees.

I want to read the story where Avon appears in your broom cupboard and has to deal with both learning about how things work in this era and the attentions of over-enthusiastic Avon ladies Smile

Hm...yes, that would be fun...as it is having thoroughly checked both sheds and put everything back in that I took out, I have now moved on to the garage.
There's some pretty neat gardening tools and DIY equipment in there.....
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
peladon wrote:Thanks Annie, and thanks for this idea too......

Peladon, nice story, although you've topped the "and then they all survived apologists" with a new category - "and then they all survived, and not only that but the Libby wasn't really destroyed, apologists" Grin

Just need the ultimate series re-write now which does all that, plus resurrects Cally, Gan, Dr Bellfriar, Nova and Bran Foster Wink
Edited by trevor travis on 27 April 2015 16:59:43

trevor travis
"Where am I?", asked Blake.

"You were dreaming", replied Jenna.

"But all these people in the dentention cell! They were in my dream. That guy over there, Dr Bellfriar. And him, that's Nova, the one next to Deva and Bran Foster. And that thing like a KFC bargain bucket - that's Moloch! And why is the cell door wide open?"

"The Federation has just been toppled. You've got a full pardon and you're the new President!"

Blake and Jenna lived happily ever after in a space cottage called 'Liberator' and had 14 children named after their best friends - Avon, Vila, Cally, Gan, Zen, Dayna, Tarrant, Soolin, Orac, Slave, Servalan, Travis, Grant and Og.

Anniew
Trevor LOL. But what about Deva? Where's he in all this? And Klyn?

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

peladon wrote:Thanks Annie, and thanks for this idea too......

Peladon, nice story, although you've topped the "and then they all survived apologists" with a new category - "and then they all survived, and not only that but the Libby wasn't really destroyed, apologists" Grin

Just need the ultimate series re-write now which does all that, plus resurrects Cally, Gan, Dr Bellfriar, Nova and Bran Foster Wink

Thanks.Cool

I can think of several ways to resurrect Cally, I've written a couple of them. I personally have no problem with resurrecting Liberator, Gan or Blake provided it is done in an appropraite Sci Fi manner (that is after all what B7 is).

What if a fifth series had been bought and the script writers had been asked to continue from Blake - do you think they would have refused? I doubt it. Would you have considerd it a cop out or 'apologist'? I doubt that too, I tend to take the view that if its in keeping with the series and what a fifth series continuation could have been there is no real issue, what they could have done I can do without apology Grin.

I wrote rebirth after reading a couple of very interesting articles one on entanglement and one on cloud conciousness, both of which it reflects,so I consider it suitably sci fi - this one follows on from that.

trevor travis
peladon wrote:
What if a fifth series had been bought and the script writers had been asked to continue from Blake - do you think they would have refused? I doubt it. Would you have considerd it a cop out or 'apologist'? I doubt that too, I tend to take the view that if its in keeping with the series and what a fifth series continuation could have been there is no real issue, what they could have done I can do without apology Grin.

My take on it is that had a fifth season occurred, then yes of course that then becomes part of the canon. As it didn't, B7 stopped there, and they are all dead (well Avon is alive, but 99.99% doomed!!).

But of course fanfic is all about exploring possibilities, and it is fun to play with things. We've diverted slightly from the April challenge... maybe what would be fun would be to set up a different PGP thread, to see just how far we can stretch things in various directions. Wink

Anniew
Trevor , I'm not sure even in the canon we can be sure that everyone is dead. Blake's 7 is often about misdirection, ( Anna's 'death' in Countdown) mind manipulation, ( Blake) miraculous escapes (Servalan from the Libby) possible truths (Jenna's fate). We know that many of our heroes were shot and that the camera work suggested that they were being wiped out but this could have been misdirection. It's only a possible truth. It was a cliff hanger that BECAME a conclusion because, so far, the BEEB hasn't commissioned series 5. The writers didn't write it to be the ' last days' . Ok officially we have no confirmation that any survived but neither do know officially that they are. Blake's 7 is all about ambiguity isn't it? It doesn't have to weaken the bleak and magnificent ending if some do survive because there is no getting away from the fact that they lost that battle. But after any disaster, something of the old survives. We have the freedom , thanks to this open end, to decide what, using one of the canon ways already used in the series.

Spaceship Dispatcher
What Annie said.

It's not part of canon that everyone died in D13 Blake because the narrative does not continue for long enough past the shooting to confirm it either way. More than that, Avon is still very much alive in the final frames of the episode. Anything beyond this is fan speculation.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
But the thing is, the programme we’re talking about here is Blake’s 7. Not “Star Trek”, which kills off characters, and then brings them back half a season later. Not “Buffy”, where Angel than Buffy then Spike were all killed, only to be resurrected with an episode or two. Not “Doctor Who”, where the lead character, having been killed, re-appears at the end of a story with a dismissive “I’ll explain later”.

But B7 doesn’t really go for those tricks at all. When characters are resurrected, they are not dead in the first place e.g. Anna (who Avon never sees die), Servalan (who was throwing herself at the teleport the last time we see her in “Terminal”; a teleport that was still functional a few minutes earlier), etc. I don’t think we ever actually see the death of a character, and then that character come back alive in a subsequent episode.

When “Blake” ends, every character is dead as the end credits roll except Avon, and even then there’s the volley of gunfire as the end credits begin, which seem to make his survival chances extremely remote as well. Federation Guards are rotten shots, but once someone is shot by a gun, then they are dead. Remember the ‘dud’ guns in “Project Avalon” do not even knock over the Liberator crew; in “Blake”, the crew are actually downed by weapons (i.e. non-duds) which we’ve only ever seen have one setting – kill!

There is no fifth season, this is the final end.

Yes, resurrecting the characters via fanfic is fun. But I agree with Peter Anghelides that everything we see is canon, everything that is said isn’t necessarily so. So Blake and every member of the Scorpio crew (except maybe Avon) are deceased, while Jenna’s fate is ambiguous, in that she is reported dead, but then again so was Anna, Blake (Jevron), Servalan (Gedden), etc. We don’t see Jenna die, so she could very well be alive.

Yes B7 does go for misdirection; but on the other hand, it does treat life and death seriously, due to it being more ‘real’ than other telefantasy programmes. Blake is dead. Dayna is dead. Vila is dead. Soolin is dead. Tarrant is dead. Avon is almost certainly dead. And that’s how B7 ends.

If you don’t like the fact it finishes that way, then you’re watching the wrong programme! Go and watch something light and fluffy, not one of Terry Nation’s gritty and downbeat versions of the future. Wink

Anniew
AVON. It has a perverse kind of logic to it. Our meeting is the most unlikely happening I could imagine. Therefore we meet.

Substitute survival and you have it. We know nothing about the final meeting. We don't even know that that's really Blake. we surmise it. As long as we writers continue the story in ways consistent with B7 values - that's ok. And we have a wide remit. Magic rooms, clever computers, mysterious space ships, 'Gods' , teleports, electronically induced visions, clones, androids, shape changing aliens, federation guns set deliberately low ( project Avalon) sentient sand, philosophical fleas, mind altering drugs......

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

AVON. It has a perverse kind of logic to it. Our meeting is the most unlikely happening I could imagine. Therefore we meet.

Except that Avon is wrong (but can be forgiven, considering he was unconscious shortly before). It’s not that unlikely. There’s been a war going on. Sarran seems one of the nearest planets to that war. It’s not massively improbable that both Avon and Servalan have ended up on that same planet.

Anniew wrote:
And we have a wide remit. Magic rooms, clever computers, mysterious space ships, 'Gods' , teleports, electronically induced visions, clones, androids, shape changing aliens, federation guns set deliberately low ( project Avalon) sentient sand, philosophical fleas, mind altering drugs......

… and five dead bodies Grin

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
Being the pedant that I am, I'm obliged to point out that in 'reality' not all conflict wounds are fatal; unless you're going down the route of 'in the future, all guns have a special power to always kill' which is not based on actual science, and in which case we drift back into the realms of fantasy and anything's possible again.

Federation guards do kill from that range. It’s the same in real life. If you’re shot by certain guns from close range, then your chances of survival are zero, or extremely close to zero.

The only time Federation guards haven’t killed from close range is “Project Avalon”. And those were ‘dud guns’ that didn’t even knock people down. Which isn’t what happens in “Blake”.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Yes B7 does go for misdirection; but on the other hand, it does treat life and death seriously, due to it being more ‘real’ than other telefantasy programmes. Blake is dead. Dayna is dead. Vila is dead. Soolin is dead. Tarrant is dead. Avon is almost certainly dead. And that’s how B7 ends.

Being the pedant that I am, I'm obliged to point out that in 'reality' not all conflict wounds are fatal; unless you're going down the route of 'in the future, all guns have a special power to always kill' which is not based on actual science, and in which case we drift back into the realms of fantasy and anything's possible again.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Federation guards do kill from that range. It’s the same in real life. If you’re shot by certain guns from close range...

imo for that to count as absolute evidence of death, you would need to have had some sort of supporting background on screen about what Federation guns do and how; as it is, the possibility that energy weapons have different settings is not only open to debate but is supported by...

The only time Federation guards haven’t killed from close range is “Project Avalon”. And those were ‘dud guns’ that didn’t even knock people down.

...the key evidence for the case in favour that these guns can be turned down, perhaps as stun weapons, and that some may have survived GP without corroborative evidence to prove otherwise. Blake does not say the guns in PA are not real Federation guns; he merely discovers that they were ineffective.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 28 April 2015 09:24:38

purplecleric
I knew I shouldn't have opened my big mouth!

Despite being firmly in the 'they're all dead' camp, I enjoy reading PGP fic - I just treat it as AU.

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer to the question 'did anyone survive?' We all view things through the unique filter of our personalty and experience, and our interpretation of the ending reflects that. As a drama queen that is drawn to the extremes of human emotion/experience, a grand gut-wrenching total wipeout finale for me is the perfect ending.

I'll shut up now - I've still got to sort out Avon and Servalan and I've only got two days left...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.42 seconds
9,181,328 unique visits since 8th January 2014