Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 12

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 926
· Newest Rebel: Paul Hassall

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
April Fanfic Challenge
Spaceship Dispatcher
purplecleric wrote:

I don't think there's any right or wrong answer to the question 'did anyone survive?' We all view things through the unique filter of our personalty and experience, and our interpretation of the ending reflects that. As a drama queen that is drawn to the extremes of human emotion/experience, a grand gut-wrenching total wipeout finale for me is the perfect ending...

That's a really interesting comment PC, because I have the opposite view but for similar reasons! I'm also drawn to emotional extremes in drama, which is why the more recent nu-Who ticks most of my boxes, but for me it's also relating to that through the characters' subjective experience that's the key factor. If they are all dead, there's nobody left to feel the trauma of the loss except outside observers staring in through the fourth wall. The 'importance' in them being dead is something that I'll never be able to agree upon, because to me it's the lack of any survivors to be affected by events that adversely impacts on the value of the tragedy for me.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

purplecleric
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

... relating to that through the characters' subjective experience that's the key factor. If they are all dead, there's nobody left to feel the trauma of the loss

Imagine standing over the dead body of the man you have willingly hated and reluctantly loved for years, the man you have tried to escape from, yet have been inextricably bound to, that in your last desperate months became your only hope of salvation - the man you have just killed. Imagine the turmoil of surrendering yourself to that man only to believe yourself betrayed, then to discover too late you were wrong. Imagine seeing the people you have fought with, fought alongside, have used yet needed, have shared your struggle for survival, finally succumb. Imagine watching your constant companion through all this strife, the pointed reminder of how far you've fallen, finally shedding his cowardly facade and paying the ultimate price. Imagine truly seeing the man you have become. The klaxons, the red light, the bodies and the blood are nothing compared to the nightmare of your creation. You look at the circle of death around you, raise your gun and surrender your soul.

The screen goes blank - there is no need for a survivor to demonstrate the trauma of the loss. And we are no passive fourth wall observer. We remain forever trapped in that final moment of Avon's life.

littlesue
@PC

That sums it all up for me...............................
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
purplecleric wrote:
Imagine standing over the dead body of the man you have willingly hated and reluctantly loved for years, the man you have tried to escape from, yet have been inextricably bound to, that in your last desperate months became your only hope of salvation - the man you have just killed. Imagine the turmoil of surrendering yourself to that man only to believe yourself betrayed, then to discover too late you were wrong. Imagine seeing the people you have fought with, fought alongside, have used yet needed, have shared your struggle for survival, finally succumb. Imagine watching your constant companion through all this strife, the pointed reminder of how far you've fallen, finally shedding his cowardly facade and paying the ultimate price. Imagine truly seeing the man you have become. The klaxons, the red light, the bodies and the blood are nothing compared to the nightmare of your creation. You look at the circle of death around you, raise your gun and surrender your soul.

The screen goes blank - there is no need for a survivor to demonstrate the trauma of the loss. And we are no passive fourth wall observer. We remain forever trapped in that final moment of Avon's life.

Oh wow, I like that PC!!!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Nicely described, but for me personally it's still the reaction to the event wherein lies the drama and not the shooting of guns alone; there are no emotional responses to the tragedy seen because the episode just ends in the middle of a scene. It leaves me cold emotionally and disappointed as a viewer/fan no matter how many times I watch it or different angles I analyse it from. Not every episode will work for every viewer, and Blake just fails to inspire me. It just about works for me if there was at least one person to carry on living the nightmare, but not otherwise.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 28 April 2015 10:44:16
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Ellen York
On a lighter note, my contribution for the month. With a nod to PC for inspiration (I went with the pudding Grin )

Vila hummed to himself as he beat the cream, waiting for it to thicken. The Liberator stores had enough concentrates to feed the crew for years, but there was something satisfying about preparing real food. In the delta levels, most people couldn't afford more that the standard issue concentrates, but his mum had managed to save for the occasional treat and this dessert had been a favorite of hers. The cream had become satisfyingly thick and he paused to lick the whisk (one had to check the quality of the product). Now to carefully swirl in the bright red berries. He was so engrossed in the task that he didn't hear Avon approaching behind him
“What have we here?”
Vila turned, anticipating the obvious insult. Instead Avon's tone was hopeful.
“Strawberry fool. I hope you are planning to share?”

meegat39
Lovely Ellen. I like the way Vila was expecting an insult Grin
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Spaceship Dispatcher
Very good Ellen Grin

Do you think Vila was going to share? I think s2/3 Vila might have.

purplecleric
I'm glad to see you took the plunge, Ellen!

What a lovely little snippet, that reveals a surprising amount about the characters.

purplecleric
And the debate around the ending continues here - http://www.blakes...post_46499 so this thread doesn't get completely derailed...

Anniew
PC you describe Avon's state of mind in those last seconds so beautifully that I couldn't resist an alternative view - see my next post ( though I do prefer yours). And Ellen such a lovely vignette. I do enjoy stories that give a glimpse of ordinary, unstressed, life in the Blake's 7 world. I love the glimpse of a relaxed Avon looking forward to a taste of fool.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Anniew
The Final Countdown

Why so much blood? Pulsing, gushing from his wounds as he sinks, arms reaching to grasp me as if I could pull him back from death. I hadn't expected the blood. It soaks him, soaks the ground. I don't want to be covered with the stuff. The jerky, backward step I take is instinctive but I still cannot avoid the spatters, so sticky, burning briefly as they spot my skin. Orac, you failed to factor blood into the equation of probabilities. The volume of gore mesmerises me. I cannot close my nostrils to its salty, chemical smell, close my eyes to the slippery mess as his torn chest gapes at me, mouths of red hissing a curse on my name, accusing.

A blame I refuse, with a sharp, upward shrug, to take into my arms. This isn't down to me.

Why wouldn't he stand still? Just once do as he was asked? Did he want me to kill him? I'm used to being surrounded by idiots but this fiasco was special, even by his misguided standards.

Fool. Fool. Fool. You've never learned have you? Rely on others and they will mess it up for you. Fatally this time, I fear. His death and mine connected as I knew it would be, a doom condemning me to run and run, knowing the faster I move, the more perfect the stasis I will achieve. Inevitable that this pattern of chase and escape, my life since he high-jacked it, terminates in our deaths. Unless I find a way to beat the odds.

There must be a way. There has to be. Someway to get out of this alive. Think. Think. What moves am I left with? How do I free myself from this wheel he has bound me to?

There must be something to bargain with. Something to sell, worth the price of my freedom. Those I might have used, my ...companions for want of a better title, lie sprawled, ungainly heaps of flesh, dead or dying. Useless.

Does that surprise you Blake? Did you really fool yourself that I would sacrifice myself for them? You know better now. If someone would stop that damned alarm I might be able to think straight, even come up with a plan. It swamps my brain, this noise, shrieking its warning, calling the tramping feet to rush here, congregate here, their guns raised, visored faces daring me to move.

And then, I have it. It falls into my mind so neatly, a solution so obvious yet so unexpected that I am not surprised it has taken me so many minutes to perceive it.

Come on then! Make your move. I'm ready.

I cannot stop a smile of satisfaction as I raise the gun and all fades black.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Another really good description of the final scene, well done Annie!

Anniew
SD. Notice I copped out of finishing the story. My invention ran out before I could decide what the simple solution might be, though I confess ' he ducked....they shot each other 'had its appeal. Over to you and the others!

meegat39
I like your version PC a lot. And yours Anniew, they are both great!!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Mistletoe12
@Ellen I really like stories which ground the crew in everyday events - all those hit and run strikes on the Federation would leave anyone craving dessert.

Sweet story! Grin

Spaceship Dispatcher
Mistletoe12 wrote:

Sweet story! Grin

*groan* Grin

peladon
trevor travis wrote:

But B7 doesn’t really go for those tricks at all. When characters are resurrected, they are not dead in the first place e.g. Anna (who Avon never sees die), Servalan (who was throwing herself at the teleport the last time we see her in “Terminal”; a teleport that was still functional a few minutes earlier), etc. I don’t think we ever actually see the death of a character, and then that character come back alive in a subsequent episode.

There is no fifth season, this is the final end.

But B7 goes in for a whole load of other tricks, and did pretty much from the first episode. Those tricks, the illusions and misdirections are canon and they offer plenty of ways the series could be continued. There is no 5th series canon but that doesnt mean that they are dead, to say that they are is as much speculation as to say they are not. The truth is that because the series was cancelled we are left with an ambigous 'end' point which could be read many ways. Some like to read it as dead and so see dead, some dont see that on the screen and so dont read 'dead'. Neither is actually canon so neither are correct.

Travisina
peladon wrote:

There is no 5th series canon but that doesnt mean that they are dead, to say that they are is as much speculation as to say they are not. The truth is that because the series was cancelled we are left with an ambigous 'end' point which could be read many ways. Some like to read it as dead and so see dead, some dont see that on the screen and so dont read 'dead'. Neither is actually canon so neither are correct.

Basically, it's Schrodinger's Cat, isn't it?
The crew are dead, alive or both - depending on who's looking at them!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Anniew

Basically, it's Schrodinger's Cat, isn't it?
The crew are dead, alive or both - depending on who's looking at them!

Zombie fan fiction it is then!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.77 seconds
9,934,187 unique visits since 8th January 2014