Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
April Fanfic Challenge
purplecleric
Don't get excited - I'm not giving you a head start!

I'm just providing a place marker for Travisina's admin purposes as she's trying to get organised before she abandons us for a couple of weeks.

You'll all have to be patient...

purplecleric
March provided another diverse and creative collection, I can't wait to see what this month will bring.The word prompt is...

FOOL

Vila often played it, Avon didn't recognise it... Examples of this abound in B7 - so will you be inspired by duplicity or tomfoolery? Or maybe even a yummy fruit pudding?

And the scene:

Servalan moved with feline grace towards Avon who remained seated. Her immaculately manicured nails slid across the smooth polished surface of the table before trailing across his face. She stopped behind him, her hand resting lightly on his shoulder as she lowered her head to speak softly in his ear.

“Did you really think you could outwit me?”

I'm looking forward to what you come up with...

littlesue
I was trying to pre-empt the word prompt..
April Fool
April Showers...ah well, that story will have to wait!!!!!Grin
And as to the scene prompt...crumbs.............................
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

littlesue
trevor travis wrote:

Sue, PC couldn't use SHOWER as the word prompt, as we'd already gone a bit Shower Room mad in March Grin

True, but there's no harm in dreaming....I mean, 'While I was bathing', from Rescue; 'I'm going to get cleaned up,' ROD....possibly even Aftermath, just before we see that rather nice computer expert wearing that gorgeous flowing black shirt...I'm going to lie down in a dark room now................

trevor travis
Sue, PC couldn't use SHOWER as the word prompt, as we'd already gone a bit Shower Room mad in March Grin

trevor travis
THE SURVIVOR

Fool. They’d always treated him as a fool.

And yet they had all died. Every single last one of them. And he’d survived.

It had all begun on the shuttle. That had been a massive wake-up call. Until then he was sure that he was safest sticking around with the crew. In particular, staying with Avon. Avon was a born survivor. What better way of staying alive than keeping close to Avon? Not only that, but they were colleagues, comrades, friends… weren’t they?

Not at all. Who had he been trying to kid? When it came down to it, Avon had been prepared to kill him, to save his own sorry neck.

After that, he’d hit the bottle, harder than ever before. And he became painfully aware of how the rest of the crew saw him. As a fool, a coward and a drunkard. Someone they felt superior to. They treated him like little more than a dog.

He was the one who was supposed to be stupid. Yet he’d been the one, who in a rare lucid moment, had located Blake. Using a decrepit old computer on Xenon Base. Not bad for a fool.

From there, the plan had formulated in his mind, including allowing Orac to find the information and then take credit for it.

It had annoyed him that they had not gone straight to Gauda Prime. Instead there was all that business with Zukan. He nearly got killed during that.

But eventually Avon took the bait.

It happened ten years ago. But he remembered it like yesterday:

That incessant alarm. It was giving him a headache. He wished someone would turn it off.

He was doing a very good job of playing dead, with one eye still half open. He saw Soolin shot down by a Federation guard, followed by Tarrant. He regretted Tarrant’s death. Yes, he could be a dreadful bully at times. But equally there were times he’d shown bravery that had saved them all. Life was going to be very different from now on.

However, he no longer had anything but contempt for Avon. He watched as Avon was surrounded.

Then she swept in the room. Avon raised his gun to fire at her, but he was cut down in a salvo of bullets before he had the chance.

“Well, that’s phase one of our business concluded, Vila”, purred Servalan. “Guards at ease.”

Vila got up to his feet. He could see Avon was still just about alive. Vila walked over to him and knelt down by his side.

Avon spoke with the greatest of difficulty. “Vila…” he wheezed.

Vila got as close to that hated face as possible. It was Avon’s trick to invade people’s personal space. Time to repay that compliment.

He grinned triumphantly at Avon. “Yes, it was me who betrayed you. Vila, who you always treated like a doormat. Vila, who you treated like a fool. Vila, who you were prepared to throw off the shuttle.” He almost spat the words in Avon’s face. “ And yet it was Vila the fool who outwitted you. How does that feel Avon?”

Those were the last words that Kerr Avon ever heard. Moments later, he coughed and died.

Vila got back to his feet and crossed over to Servalan.

She seductively stroked his arm. “Now then Vila, remind me again why I shouldn’t have you killed here and now.”

Vila wasn’t fazed by her intimidation. “I know the location of Orac’s key. I pickpocketed it off Avon earlier on and it’s now somewhere safe. Very safe. Kill me and you’ll never have it.”

“It can’t be that far from where Avon hid Orac, or the location of the flyer. We have both already.”

“But do you want to take the risk? In any case, you know my terms. I just want the reward for the death of Blake and Avon and the others. You know I’m not a political threat, and you effectively get Orac for nothing.”

Servalan touched his shoulder. “Vila, you know what, once our business is concluded, I will allow you to live.” Vila looked curious. Servalan looked him directly in the eye. “We found we could never keep Blake’s activities secret. Saurian Major, Centero, Kaldor City, one way or another, news of his pointless rebellion always got out.”

She continued. “And sooner or later the whole galaxy will learn of your treachery. Vila Restal, the man who betrayed his friends Roj Blake and Kerr Avon, the biggest coward in the galaxy.”

“Oh, I can live with that. That’s always how people have thought of me in any case. And I’m planning you’ll never hear from me again”.

Servalan raised a quizzical eyebrow. “Oh?”

“I’m planning quite a long journey.”

Vila snapped out of his reverie back to the present.

He suddenly realised a woman was in the room. She was carrying a small child in her arms.

“What were you thinking about?” she asked. “You appeared to be in a daydream.”

“Oh, I was just thinking about the old times. The bad times. Before I found you again.”

“I’m so glad you did. My clever Vila, finding his way back to Homeworld.”

Vila kissed Kerril and they, along with baby Olag, went out to enjoy the early morning sun on their paradise world.
Edited by trevor travis on 12 April 2015 22:37:12

winnie-l
Awwwwwww!
sweet :)

Anniew
HAVE DONE WITH LOSING

Servalan moved with feline grace towards Avon who remained seated. Her immaculately manicured nails slid across the smooth polished surface of the table before trailing across his face. She stopped behind him, her hand resting lightly on his shoulder as she lowered her head to speak softly in his ear.

The image on the vid screen faded with an unusual whining sound and the legend, "Space Challenges 1 - a fully interactive adventure mystery game" appeared in bold letters. The sultry, dangerous tones of the elegant woman, were replaced by a deeper, rich, yet mannered male voice announcing, "Your mission, gallant rebel, should you choose to accept it, is to help the crew of the space cruiser Freedom in their ongoing battle with the President of the brutal Terran Alliance Party. Can you succeed in outwitting her, where the crew have failed?."

A line of text: "Other levels available for purchase from NOVACARO ENTERPRISES GAUDA PRIME 4728.com." flashed onto the screen.

The boy turned away from the monitor with its pulsing blue and green lights, examining his pocket in the vain hope a credit or two might be lurking in a corner. Nothing. If only he hadn't already splashed out on that model kit of a spaceship! Admittedly it was the most beautifully designed model he had ever seen but buying it had taken all his money. He rummaged again and this time, among the string and sweet wrappers he unearthed a single coin. One credit! Ever hopeful he looked around for the proprietor, the elderly white haired man dressed in black who had served him earlier, intending to ask him if he could pay for the game in instalments but he was no where to be seen.

The boy had only noticed the shop that morning. The rest of the street was derelict. The whole area had recently been purged by the Administrators and most of its shops and apartments forcibly emptied of their occupants and then trashed. Broken windows stared blankly at him as he explored the wrecked buildings, their doors swinging and creaking eerily in the wind. The detritus of many personal histories whirled around, tossed about on gusting currents of air. He spotted unpaid bills, hair ties, a page from a diary, a tiny doll's dress, even a gauzy scarf. Young as he was, he felt a sense of sadness at this pitiful evidence of the destruction of lives, even if those lives were only SUB'S. "

"But does it really matter whose lives they were? Aren't SUBS living beings? " a voice oddly inflected, seemed to query softly, but when he looked around there was no-one about. He must have imagined it.

It was a surprise when he found the shop intact, the sign above the door spelling out in multi coloured lights: " Novacaro Emporium". Why had it been left standing when everything else around it had been destroyed? But the boy soon forgot his questions in his delight at the display in its windows: model flyers; something that looked like a communicating device, grey and sleek; a small perspex box with lights- maybe a computer, but pretty basic by the look of it; several cool- looking guns; two intwined Möbius strips of crystal forming a rod mounted on a black handle and attached to what looked like its own charger - a light emitting device perhaps? And right at the back of the window, something he just had to own if it took every penny of his saved credits. It was labelled DSV model 1.

The boy knew that the initials stood for Deep Space Vehicle but it's design was nothing like a conventional space ship - like no space ship he'd ever imagined. It's control centre was a ridged, bulbous oval, illuminated by a strange green glow and it had four, forward- pointing nacelles shaped like turrets with what looked like lightening rods projecting from them. It was more like an elven castle than something that might fly.

"Beautiful isn't it? " The coldness of the voice coming suddenly from behind his left ear, made him shiver but it contained a strange longing too. "Would you like to own it?"

"Oh yes," he breathed, "but what will it cost me?"

"Everything." The voice caught on a bark of laughter and then continued prosaically, "Thirty six credits."

He was amazed to find he had exactly the right money.

"Here," he said, fumbling in his pocket and extracting the credits, eager to hand them over in case the proprietor changed his mind.

The hands that reached out for them were, he was disturbed to see, deeply scarred, their knuckles large and prominent, the fingers crooked, fused into claws. He snuck a glance at the man who was half hidden in shadow and it seemed to the boy that a flickering nimbus outlined the thin, bony frame. Catching his puzzled look, the man's teeth bared in a ferocious grin and the boy quickly looked down, focussing again on the twisted hands that awkwardly gestured he should place his credits on the table.

He'd picked up his prize when a peculiar, burbling whine captured his attention and he turned from the man noticing for the first time a large vid screen attached to the back wall of the shop, which was displaying an interactive game on a continuous loop. "Space Challenges 1", a promising title. He liked the premise too- that he would have to plot and scheme to outwit the lady with the cropped black hair - he sensed that she would be a pretty challenging opponent and he didn't really like her. Defeating her brutal regime would be cool. If only he had sufficient credits to buy the game!

" You have to be sure you really want it. That you want to play to the bitter end."

The boy jumped. The elderly Proprietor seemed to materialise at his side, as if out of thin air, and again he felt that disturbed shiver in his presence but his words seemed kind if a little strange.

" I do want to play, " the boy confessed, "more than anything. But I'm not sure I have enough to pay for it."

"You give what you can afford. It's the only way to play this game and win. I found that out to my cost," the man replied, a deep vein of sadness seeming to add layers of meaning to the simple words. "You will find you have paid enough for it by the time it is finished."

" I have a credit. I can afford that," the boy said eagerly, sensing but not really understanding the sadness and the man laughed again but this time lightly, without bitterness.

"Then the game is yours," he said. " Play it well."

Avon watched the boy leave the shop on the monitor in his underground quarters on Gauda Prime, so far away from the boy and his home planet. Watched as his own figure, projected onto the entrance to the shop, winked out. Watched as the outline of "Novacaro Emporium" wobbled like jelly and then disappeared. Wincing with pain, he fumbled for the switch with his maimed hands and sat gazing at the screen for a few moments longer as it faded slowly to black.

+Satisfying.+ Orac observed, from his position next to the monitor. + The plan continues to work well. The game, as you surmised, is proving an effective propaganda tool. If we continue at this rate we should have stirred up enough rebellion throughout the known worlds to topple Servalan and her corrupt administration within the next fifteen years.+

" Yes," Avon conceded tersely. "Though they won't always be as keen as that one. He reminded me of..."

+ Roj Blake? I concur. The boy was all heart. An idealist. He will inspire others to fight.+

"Oh yes." A sigh filled with a melancholy sadness, an unwilling acceptance. "They will fight for him alright! Perhaps this time they might even win."

Awkwardly, Avon manoeuvred his hover chair away from the monitor.

"That's it for today, Orac. I am tired. But thank you. A brilliant scheme."

He reflected as he made his way slowly to his room whether Servalan would have thought her revenge quite so complete if she had realised that she had imprisoned him in the very part of the base where he had hidden Orac before embarking on his fateful meeting with Blake.

That despite appearances, he had at last outwitted her.
Edited by Anniew on 03 April 2015 18:32:36
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Anniew
Trevor, I am glad that Vila escaped even if I am saddened that he was so damaged by his experiences that he copied Avon. You've reminded me that he is at heart a criminal. But perhaps with Kerril he really will turn over a new leaf.

The moment when he confronts Avon is really painful. I shall need another glass of Sauvignon to cope now!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Monthly challenge entries with story titles? This is getting serious! Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

peladon
Something short again and comes from an idea for a longer story entitled Fools Rush in but The Fool works too I think.

The Fool

Why is it that the more intelligent the man the more certain that he will possess some element of the fool? Some women did too of course, though it wasn’t a charge anyone could lay at her door, but with men it seemed to be a universal characteristic.

Even him.

She’d always been aware that it was there, just waiting to be shaken awake, but it had never really mattered until Her. Yet she had always known the shade of the fool lurked and that it was a risk. Despite that knowledge she had seen it coming only just in time to survive that awakening and when it was already too late to deal with it. She had never really stopped blaming herself for that.

For she had loved the embryonic fool in him as much as she had loved the genius, maybe that was why she didn’t blame him. Maybe that was why she was here, because she didn’t blame him. Not even now as he stood with another clever fool dying at his feet and the echo of gun fire fading away.

Particularly not now.

Yet all conventional wisdom said she should blame him, hate him even, for what he had set in train long before the pressures created by the dying fool burned his hope and turned his future to ash. Hated him for what he might have done to her.

She looked at him closely, catching the hint of the man he had been, the one she had known and loved, lurking in the eyes of the man he seemed to have become; even as he stood astride his felled brother in arms, even as he waited for those strangely restrained troopers to surround him and for his anticipated death.

He had not looked for her, but she knew why he hadn’t and even that outrage she found she could forgive him. ‘Kerr Avon’ she thought with a sudden surge of affection, ‘you’ve played the fool for long enough, time for it to stop.’

She moved slightly, coming out from behind the sheltering pillar but staying in the shadows, nodding slightly to the trooper closest to her, warning him to wait as the man in the centre of the room raised the gun and focussed on the person sweeping down the steps.

“Matters hasten to their close,’ she thought as she watched as the newcomer smile caressingly at the waiting man.’ Time to show my hand and save this sorry farce of a day. After all why else have I followed you, watched over you, for so long?’

Turning to stare at him for a moment longer she felt the joy bubble up in her, the amusement self directed but kind, ‘I should hate you for ever thinking I would let the little whore they sent to beguile you kill me,’ she thought, ‘but we’d been together so long, and I suppose that’s love when it comes down to it. Or maybe I have the weakness of the fool after all and you are its face. Ah well I always have looked after my own, and who is more my own than my husband?’

She gave the signal.

peladon
Oops = seemed to post twice - hope its corrected now

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Trevor, I am glad that Vila escaped even if I am saddened that he was so damaged by his experiences that he copied Avon. You've reminded me that he is at heart a criminal. But perhaps with Kerril he really will turn over a new leaf.

The moment when he confronts Avon is really painful. I shall need another glass of Sauvignon to cope now!

Oh Anniew, I didn't mean to drive you to drink - stay off the Soma Grin

I did wonder if I'd overdone Vila's behaviour in that scene, but I think it's plausible. We've just completed the re-watch for Season D, plus there was a discussion on why Vila doesn't mention the events of "Orbit" again in either "Warlord" or "Blake", at which point it was brought up that Vila is something of an embittered figure in those last two episodes. I decided to take the embittered Vila and see how far I could push him.

I guess it is sad that to beat Avon, he has to become Avon. But then again Avon and Vila were always quite alike, that's what Robert Holmes picked up on, he has them as thick as thieves together.

Although, with Vila, you can't have him shooting down people himself. But he does often use his wits and that's what he does here.

And yes, the idea of the ending, is that he did what he did for a reason. Vila always seemed the most 'normal' of the crew, and it's not unrealistic to think all he ever really wanted was a 'normal' life. To start a family with Kerril. Once on Homeworld, any of Vila's embittered behaviour would be left behind. Although he still occasionally break into somewhere. Wink

By the way, I like your story (we all seem to be venturing to Gauda Prime this month Grin ). My story for complete the scene (which is still in my head at the moment) shares the same title! Although it will actually be "End Game Part 2", since "End Game Part 1" was one of my contributions last month.
Edited by trevor travis on 03 April 2015 17:29:31

Anniew
Trevor I'm so sorry! I thought it was a great title and my memory is like a sieve these days. I will edit it just as soon as I can think of another. Please do not sue me. Imitation is after all the surest form of flattery,

Anniew
And yes I do agree that Vila becomes more embittered and what you've written is plausible. It's a really good story because I tend to recognise what the struggle has done to Avon but of course it's done something similar to Vila. Interesting that the main difference is that Kerril doesn't betray Vila so he has something to remember and then seek.
Edited by Anniew on 03 April 2015 19:11:47

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Trevor I'm so sorry! I thought it was a great title and my memory is like a sieve these days. I will edit it just as soon as I can think of another. Please do not sue me. Imitation is after all the surest form of flattery,

Anniew, no worries, I thought it was accidental.

In any case, often our stories seem to inspire each other. For example, we all ended up visiting the Xenon base shower room in the same month. Grin

Anniew
Trevor. And very cosy it was too.

littlesue
From Lurena and I ................

i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/smallwondersue/april%20ficlet_zpsae3a2r8w.jpg

Dream Time

He didn’t answer.
“Perhaps you didn’t hear me…”
A door in the far wall swung open and Servalan knew that now was not the time.
She reluctantly withdrew her hand, so lightly resting on his shoulder, and silently walked towards the door; just momentarily pausing to turn and look at him.
“Such a pity…”

The Technician looked down at Servalan, who was momentarily disoriented.
“I trust Madame President found the experience…interesting?”
“You will guard your words,” Servalan replied sharply.
“There is no-one else here, Madame President. What happens here is known only to me...and what happens inside there, is known only to you.”
The chubby faced woman, her dull hair pulled back into a clinical bun, pointed at the panel immediately behind Servalan’s head. Servalan, for her part, lay quite still. The Perspex body mould that had covered her from head to toe was now open, and she seemed to find it and its distinct possibilities, strangely alluring.
“I see…yet I felt as though I was there…with him. It was all so real.”
“Every part of this body form is covered with tiny receptors. We…I can make the subject feel whatever you wish and I can see exactly what the subject is experiencing…You believed that you were with that rebel called Avon and did he look real to you?”
“Oh yes…”
“Then you are satisfied?”
“To succeed, it will be necessary for speech to be heard; exact phrasing, timbre and so on and so forth.”
“Easily done…”
“And then I will require you to take this device to a location of my choosing, where we will see if it performs exactly as you promise. It will require your own staff and a selected armed guard. No-one else must know of this. There must be no communication at all, because then he may know. I want this to fool him, completely.”
“Madame President…it will. Of course, it will be a little different for him, with the added refinements. Once this device has finished with him, he will no longer know what is real or what is a drug induced electronic dream. You have my word.”
“Good. But first the voice… You have a sample taken from his interrogation all those years ago. I think that would be more than sufficient.”
“You wish to conduct another experiment?”
“Only to be completely satisfied, you understand.” Servalan smiled up at the stone faced Technician, “And this time, I will decide when it is over. Do you understand…?”

She pushed the door ajar.
The room was the same; the long highly polished table, the lighting subdued, but he was gone. The seat was empty.
For a moment, she was stunned. A wave of dejection and disappointment washed over her…but then the door closed behind her. She turned and he was there. Smiling at her, just as he had done on Sarran.
“Welcome back,” he said softly, “We were interrupted just as things were beginning to get…interesting.”
“I’m sorry about that.”
“You were saying something about me outwitting you.”
“And have you?”
“You are here again. So what does that say about your proclivities?”
Servalan allowed herself a radiant smile. She thought about the cold, sterile room and the ashen faced Technician; but only for a moment.
Here, it was different; very different. Once everything was in place, he would be experiencing this. But he wouldn’t know the truth. She knew and that knowledge would be her trump card.
Servalan considered his question.
“Well?” he asked.
She allowed her elegant right hand to stray to his shoulder.
This time her smile was one of triumph. “Everything."
Edited by littlesue on 11 April 2015 09:43:15

Anniew
That's a very nice story Sue and Lurena. Of course there had to be a rehearsal for Terminal. And it continues the Avon/Servalan nicely.

Pelladon- your's is fascinating but I wasn't sure if Anna or Servalan was speaking or another lady entirely. I'm assuming the tramp is Servalan and the wife Anna and Avon failed to really kill her. Or did I miss the point entirely?

purplecleric
Catching up with this thread after spending a week offline in Devon. SHOWER seemed unnecessary as a word prompt as you all seemed to have wandered there of your own accord! And now you've rumbled my theme I'll have to make the connection between word and month more obscure...

@trevortravis - you are such a champion of underdogs and the downtrodden. (Is that why you're a fan of S4?) I love your tales of 'the worm turning.'

@Anniew - even though I'm not a believer in PGP (for me they all die) I like the thought of an elderly Avon as the proprietor of the fabled mysterious shop.

@Peladon - Avon has a wife? And it's not me!!! A fascinating idea - could you provide a link to the full story so I can get to the bottom of the mystery? (and stick a knife in the woman who got to him first...)

@littlesue & Lurena - great idea - although with such a device on hand I'm surprised Servalan ever managed to drag herself away...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,176,361 unique visits since 8th January 2014