Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 919
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Warlord and Blake.
Grade Four Ignorant
I think Gold puts it clearly - they are together for mutual convenience. Each of them has a useful skill which increases their chances of survival then if they were alone. Avon is also under the impression that the others would kill him if he double-crossed them.

There's a gradual shift in Vila's character, starting with the third season. He's more often spotted with a drink in his hand, and he even opts to get drunk instead of doing something positive in Volcano. By the time the final season comes around, Vila is showing signs of alcohol dependency. Whilst once he'd respond to danger and violence with his own brand of cowardly wit (his meeting with Bayban being one such example), now he was more likely to respond by just retreating into a bottle.

Panna
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

I think Gold puts it clearly - they are together for mutual convenience. Each of them has a useful skill which increases their chances of survival then if they were alone. Avon is also under the impression that the others would kill him if he double-crossed them.

There's a gradual shift in Vila's character, starting with the third season. He's more often spotted with a drink in his hand, and he even opts to get drunk instead of doing something positive in Volcano. By the time the final season comes around, Vila is showing signs of alcohol dependency. Whilst once he'd respond to danger and violence with his own brand of cowardly wit (his meeting with Bayban being one such example), now he was more likely to respond by just retreating into a bottle.

I think Cally's death had something to do with that. They may have cared for each other like Dorian said, but I think Cally's presence was the glue that bonded them. I think her death is one of the reasons Vila hits the bottle so much, Avon may have loved her, but I think Vila definitely did.
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

Rodney
I like Zukan's character which has layers to it, unlike some of the Series 4 villains. I actually think it's a far better episode than Blake where we are simply waiting for the Avon/Blake showdown.
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

Rodney
Grade Four Ignorant wrote:

When you look at Vila's character throughout the series, but particularly post-Blake, he's not actually a very nice guy. He and Orac are the most selfish members of the crew.

sweevo
I think it's Gan's death in Pressure Point that triggers Vila's descent into depression, and Cally's death in Rescue that speeds up the process. The incident with the shuttle in Orbit is the final nail in the coffin for Vila's once-genteel persona. I wouldn't call Vila "not very nice" - just a bit too self-centred, unlike Avon, who, while purporting to be selfish, is actually the most caring and philanthropic member of the crew (except for Terminal and Orbit).

Anniew
Rodney I agree with you that Vila isn't very nice. Right from the beginning he advocates they kill Avon before Avon can kill them. He never volunteers and he seems quite self centred. He can also be rather sleezy. He does of course rescue Tarrant and this does suggest that he is capable of loyalty and bravery but he doesn't often show it.. But of all the characters he also seems to have the most heart and sense of humour. He is the easiest to identify with, even to love. The nearest modern equivalent is Howard Wolowitz in the Big Bang Theory.He is also lazy, cowardly, dishonest, sleezy, funny, warm, and utterly lovable.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Rodney
We often praise Keating for his comic touches but he is also very good when it comes to the vaguely aggressive drunk looks he gives. In Blake I do like his reaction to the hut they are to spend the night in:

Vila: Oh charming! Really charming!
Dayna: Oh, stop moaning, Vila!
Soolin: It’s better than spending a night in the open.
Vila: Are you serious? The state the roof’s in, it’s the same as spending the night in the open.

The cabin in the woods combines humour with a sense of menace.

Soolin: If you want to survive on this planet you have to assume that everyone is out to get you.
Vila: I always assume that, wherever I go.
Soolin: The difference is on Gauda Prime you’ll be right.

sweevo
I would have liked to have seen more of the darker and more aggressive Vila in the series' run instead of being constantly portrayed as a drunk or a pathological man-child. Truly a missed opportunity if you ask me.

Anniew
Chris Boucher wrote some magic lines!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Rodney
One of the things that always interests me is whether the show was better with just the one writer (Nation), or when a number were involved, Boucher, Prior, Holmes, Lee, Steed etc.

trevor travis
Rodney wrote:

One of the things that always interests me is whether the show was better with just the one writer (Nation), or when a number were involved, Boucher, Prior, Holmes, Lee, Steed etc.

Did it ever have just one writer, though? All those film quotes in Season A.... did they come from Nation or Boucher? Wink

Terry Nation was a marvellous writer and a brilliant creative mind. But even he couldn't submit 13 55-minute episodes under that sort of time pressure. The plots are his, but much of the dialogue isn't. The dialogue of Duel, in particular, has Boucher written all over it.

JustBrad
Rodney wrote:

Blake's 7 couldn't live without Terry Nation, obviously, but it would not be the Blake's 7 we know without Chris Boucher.

littlesue
JustBrad wrote:

Rodney wrote:

Blake's 7 couldn't live without Terry Nation, obviously, but it would not be the Blake's 7 we know without Chris Boucher.

Totally agree.
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

Rodney wrote:

We need a like button.

*LIKE*

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,457,577 unique visits since 8th January 2014