Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 3

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
2.5 Devil's Advocate *spoilers*
Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

Joe Steven Pacey did voice Tarrant. Was that a joke I missed about him sounding nasally?

Steven's Tarrant voice is nothing like his natural voice, or any other voices I have heard him use on stage or audio, and he seems to be struggling to get it exactly right.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Joe Dredd
Anniew wrote:

Joe Steven Pacey did voice Tarrant. Was that a joke I missed about him sounding nasally?

Hi Annie(w), when Steven played Tarrant in the TV episodes he was asked to put on a deeper voice for the character, so the voice you hear in the series isn't the same voice you would've heard from him if you spoke to him at the stage door. For the BF audios he is just using his natural voice rather than doing his Tarrant voice, which is a pity as he doesn't sound quite right. I suppose it was a chore and he's glad not to do it, but on the other hand I would've thought that doing voices for a character was all part of the job of being an actor. It would be interesting to know if BF discussed it with him or it's just another one of those areas where they think they're doing the right think leaving it up to the actors.

I did think SP sounded a bit nasally in some places, and so even less Tarrant-like. It was just an observation.

One other thing I forgot to mention, Grant's "Standard by hell-for-leather" immediately brought to mind - and hopefully this offends no one - "Standard by haul ass" from the old Bizarro zines.

Joe Dredd
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

he seems to be struggling to get it exactly right.

Do you think he's trying to do the voice SD? I get the impression he's just using his normal voice. There's some comments at the end of the CD where he says his voice has got closer to the deeper Tarrant voice due to age, but I think that's the only reason there's any similarity.

Anniew
Joe Ist LOL (Bizarro joke)

Second I prefer Tarrant's once as it is now. I agree it's different and changes the character a bit but I think this is how it should have been played. I can take him seriously, whereas in the series I always felt he was a boy trying to be a man and no match for Avon, unlike Grant who was his equal. Now Tarrant feels like more serious competition which gives a more interesting dynamic. To be honest most of the characters sound older now to me though Avon does sound more like younger Avon in this .
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Joe Dredd
I wasn't totally convinced by Tarrant's backstory, but I liked the way Avon's "you never mentioned it before" conversation was handled. There is no way that Avon would've allowed Tarrant to stay on the Liberator without checking into his background, especially with Orac around to do the research, and there's nothing here to say he didn't do exactly that. He simply says "you never mentioned it" or whatever, rather than "I didn't know that."

Oh, and I wasn't so keen on Orac being unable to read the Waystation computers. I can understand why the writers need to limit what Orac can do but I think it's the wrong direction to take things.

Joe Dredd
EDIT: This should be after BradPaula's post on SP characterisation. The posts are getting out of order again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From memory, I think SP sounds just as 'wrong' he did in The Sevenfold Crown and The Syndeton Experiment.

PLEASE don't make me listen to them to check.

Joe Dredd
EDIT: This should be after BradPaula's post on SP characterisation. The posts are getting out of order again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I have to agree that the characterisation of Tarrant is very good. It feels like authentic Tarrant. Avon is also well served by the lines in this, and Darrow does a good job of delivering them like S3 Avon.

I still think Vila is getting an uneven deal, mainly because there's a lot of Vila calling himself a coward, which he didn't really do in the series. "A thief isn't what I am, it's who I am" - not "A coward isn't what I am...". That said it seems the more recent examples have been so Grant can let us all know that Vila is more than he seems, but it always irritates me when the writers draw attention to these things with big flaming arrows... like that lie detector/shocker scene in Liberator Chronicles 6. "Oh, you all secretly like each other!" "No we don't - Aaargh!"

BradPaula
If I may weigh in on the Steven Pacey voice discussion? The first few Liberator Chronicles Pacey did, he was pitching his voice a bit high, trying to emulate his younger voice from years ago. At least that is my way of thinking. The story about him pitching his voice lower at the time of the series was true. He was supposed to be playing an older man, not a mere youth as he was. Later in the Big Finish series, he decided to drop all that nonsense and just do the character in his normal speaking voice, which, to my ear, sounds much better. I believe he even says something to that effect in one of the discs 'extras' at the end of the disc. Of course, I'm loving Steven being back for the audios and he's especially good in the latest set of Full Cast audio that have recently come out.

Note: Which ever way Steven's voice is on the audios, I can say that he nails the character of Tarrant as it is very distinctive and exactly like he played him way back when.
Edited by BradPaula on 07 April 2015 04:32:45
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Joe Dredd wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

he seems to be struggling to get it exactly right.

Do you think he's trying to do the voice SD? I get the impression he's just using his normal voice. There's some comments at the end of the CD where he says his voice has got closer to the deeper Tarrant voice due to age, but I think that's the only reason there's any similarity.

Basically, what Paula said! I'm not onto s2 of these dramas yet, just dipping into the comments, so was going by his performance in the LCs only.

BradPaula
There were a few times with the early audios that I was left scratching my head saying, 'That's not Tarrant' back at the audio, but lately in the Full Cast #2 series, Tarrant sounds like he did in the series. Thank you Steven Pacey- and in fact all of the cast as it's very thrilling to listen to a disc for the first time as they are very much like listening to new series episodes only on audio.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
I love the character of the President, so really enjoyed this audio. I'm glad they left his future open-ended.

Also, a good Tarrant story, filling in a bit of his back-story in a believable way.

One of the strongest of this season.

Spaceship Dispatcher
This is another full cast Blake's 7 release that worked well for me, following the success of Fortuitas and Mindset earlier in the series; this was based more on dialogue and ethical dilemmas than action, so it was very much the kind of drama and like and hope to hear more often than not. The characters sounded mostly right to me, and I especially enjoyed hearing Hugh Fraser as the President even more so than in his previous appearances; the only character niggle for me was one not raised by anyone else here, but I'll save that for my comments on the next episode...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.60 seconds
9,114,761 unique visits since 8th January 2014