Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
2.5 Devil's Advocate *spoilers*
Travisina
Big Finish have just announced that Hugh Fraser returns as the deposed-by-Servalan-ex-President! More info here:
http://www.blakes...admore=116
The trailer - http://www.bigfin...ocate-1088 - sounds very interesting. This is going to be one for the Tarrant fans!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Inquisitor
Looking forward to this one ties links both series together, hopefuly will find out more about Tarrant's back story the show just says that he was a federation officer who deserted taking his pursuit ship with him, would be nice to find out what made him leave

Travisina
Devil's Advocate was released today!
Details here:
http://www.blakes...admore=132

Anniew
I listened to this today and loved it. A great Tarrant story but interesting dynamics with The President and Grant and good stuff with Avon, Vila and Cally.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

BradPaula
Me, I'm just gratified Del Grant (Tom Chadbon) gets a cover photo on the audio. Of course, not by himself mind you, but he shares with Tarrant. At least Clareblues and I can be happy this month! Finally I say! Looking forward to getting the audio in the mail soon!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
I've just listened - full review to follow, but just wanted to say it's fab - you're going to love it, Paula!

Meanwhile, I'm starting a spoilers thread for those who have already heard it and want to discuss.

Travisina
For those who have already listened, and would like to discuss...

(Good, isn't it?!)
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 16 May 2015 15:48:07

Inquisitor
Very good, nice tie in with Series 1 of the Full Cast Audios by bringing back the President.

We now know why Tarrant left the service after being close enough to the top to see the corruption in the Federation

The discussion the crew have about what to do with the President is well done and makes a commentary on the aimless wanderings of season 3.

I think we have seen the start of fractures between Grant and the rest of the crew about him taking matters into his own hands by trying to off the President

Poor Grant is in serious denial about his sister, blaming the President / Federation for her betraying them

Steve Rogerson
Here's my review of Devil's Advocate:

http://wizzley.co...-big-fini/

Space Chopper
Cracker of an episode, and loved the moral dilemma posed to the crew- a series 3 story given a series 1-2 conflict-of-interests twist. Nicely sets the scene for the final episode, gives us some backstory for Dayna's past and motives for this mini-season, and I'm still wondering about how they'll bring Dayna back into the Liberator when Josette isn't available to take part. I wonder if they have permission to use snippets of dialogue from the TV series? Maybe get a clip of her saying 'Teleport NOW!' or some such...
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Steve Rogerson
Space Chopper wrote:

I'm still wondering about how they'll bring Dayna back into the Liberator when Josette isn't available to take part. I wonder if they have permission to use snippets of dialogue from the TV series? Maybe get a clip of her saying 'Teleport NOW!' or some such...

I suppose they could use another actress. Angela Bruce would be an obvious choice as she has played Dayna before for the BBC radio plays, so it wouldn't be like they were putting somebody brand new into the role. That said, they could put someone completely new in if they wanted, I mean they have for Orac.

BradPaula
Angela Bruce has been suggested to the big-wigs at Big Finish. I did it myself last November! So we'll just have to wait and see what if anything is done about the character of Dayna in the audios.

Space Chopper
It might even be done as a tie-up to the episode- when things resolve themselves, Zen may announce that Dayna has been located and has requested to be teleported up, so the episode could end as the crew sail off into the sunset to fetch her.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg

meegat39
They could even kill her off. The trailer at the end of the disc seemed to suggest they found her but she was sleeping...
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Space Chopper
If he gets killed off, that wuld mess up continuity between Death Watch and Terminal.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg

Travisina
meegat39 wrote:

They could even kill her off. The trailer at the end of the disc seemed to suggest they found her but she was sleeping...

That would put paid to the rest of Season C and the whole of Season D. I don't think Big Finish are quite so cavalier about continuity!

BradPaula
As Travisina mentioned in her audio review of Devil's Advocate, the line of Cally's where she cannot seem to telepathically link to Tarrant, even though both of them are on the Liberator and what- within dozens of yards of each other? does stand out as an obvious canonical error. Her line is 'He must be out of range.' Well, I can state quite a few instances of Cally's telepathy having the range- how about in Volcano when Cally, bound on Obsidian, uses her skill to contact Avon on the ship. Or when Cally feels Vila's pain in City at the Edge of the World. He was on a planet, she on a ship. Or the most obvious one where Cally on Liberator telepaths to Tarrant the location details of Vinni in Deathwatch? Sorry, but that is Blake's 7 telepathy 101.

Another break in canon seems to take place when Grant, upset that Tarrant has brought up the ex-president to Liberator, decides to take matters into his own hands and assassinate him in his cabin cell. As Grant's anger gets the better of him, he spouts off about Anna and names her code-name the Federation would know her as- Bartolomew. But for all intents and purposes, I hear Grant say Bartholomew, not Bartolomew! Please correct me if I mis-heard, but I doubt I did. That is one of the treasured nuggets of canon in the whole of Blake's 7- Bartolomew- sans the 'h'. It really startled me that not only the writer, who purports on the liner notes to be a big fan of the show and even went through the entire series before writing this audio, getting that bit wrong, but it is even worse that the script editor didn't catch it nor the director during the recording. To be fair, the director, Lisa Bowerman, said on numerous occasions that she was not aware of nor had she seen the series until she was asked to direct the audios. She said she had peeked at episodes on the internet, but nothing more, so of course she had no grounding in Blake's 7 canon, and hence, didn't catch the slip. But what a slip.

Other than these above problems, the story was solid and action-packed. I thought the characters of Tarrant and Grant were particularly well written and we get to see into Tarrant's past life before he joined the crew and actually it makes a lot of sense to me. Grant gets to show his emotions for his dead sister and also show a bit of menace one would expect from a seasoned soldier and mercenary. As always, the entire cast excels at their professions and it's a joy to listen to seasoned and very experienced actors doing what they're great at- acting as our favorite characters!

I look forward to the 6th episode of this full cast story arc and how Big Finish plans to end the story of the search for Dayna and how they let Grant exit for greener pastures, we hope! Of the second full cast series so far, this is my second favorite audio, after Scimitar.

Travisina
Yes, Grant does say 'BartHolomew', you didn't mis-hear it. I kind of explained it away to myself that he's only ever seen the name written down, and while Shrinker (and subsequently Avon and the others) pronounced it with a silent 'h', Grant pronounces it the way it's written. Like Ralph (pronounced Ralf) and Ralph (pronounced Rafe), if you see what I mean.

But I agree, those were two jarring notes in an otherwise excellent episode.

Joe Dredd
Well, my 'niggle radar' was going off left and right as usual but I have to say that is the best of the B7 audios BF have done so far. Avon actually sounded like and spoke like Avon. Even Tarrant almost sounded right, though without Mr Pacey doing the voice he still sounds too nasal for the most part.

There were a few points where it could've been tightened in the script edit, like Vila's "shoot first and ask questions later at the inquest" line. It's a good line but the inclusion (or placement) of 'later' turns it into a tongue-tripper when it would've otherwise been a perfectly slick and totally B7 line. I'd certainly drop all the Hyper Cola nonsense and the reference to 'space tax'. The swarms of troopers turning up at the Waystation shouldn't really come in pursuit ships. If you're ferrying in a load of troops why not say they came in T-16 troop transporters ("Moloch') or invent some other kind of troop carrier?

The assistant's name, Pelora, is excellent as a B7 character name. It doesn't sound awkward or out of place. (It certainly knocks 'Bru' etc into a cocked hat.)

I didn't mind the 'Bartholomew' bit, I just assumed Grant had heard it once and had misremembered the name.

I noticed Cally's 'out of range' remark too. It immediately made me think of her counting trick with Blake in 'Shadow' - certainly covering a much greater distance. I would have had Cally explain she couldn't speak into Tarrant's mind because she didn't know him well enough (yet).

For me, one of B7's charms is the form the dialogue follows. It has a definite late 70s-80s, British vibe that defines it, in the same way that cool space pilot/smuggler Han Solo can always be tied back to a place in time by his sideburns. It's a product of the rules and attitudes at the time, too, which is why all the OMG-ing in the early Liberator Chronicles sounds so out of place. To capture the flavour of B7 the writers need to avoid SF terminology like "tech", "meds", "comms" and "helm" (the last of which sounds particularly ST to me).

I wasn't keen on Vila's drinking song. Serving girls and ruby wine, it was all a bit "Vila-as-medieval-jester" and seemed out of place.

The part at the end putting the pieces together about Dayna's mum was very good. It's a pity the clues couldn't have been spaced out through the other episodes to build it up over the whole run, but it's all very B7. Series three already has them reuniting with Cally's sister, Tarrant's brother and Avon's girlfriend, so why not add Dayna's mum to the list?

As for getting Dayna back at the end, my guess is that she is in suspended animation for some reason (injuries, say). That would allow her return to Liberator revolving around the crew shifting her cryo capsule onto Liberator, getting underway, then wheeling her to the medical bay for treatment and revival. That avoids any need for BF to have Dayna talking at a crew reunion.

Anyway, well done Big Finish - you're getting closer.

Anniew
Joe Steven Pacey did voice Tarrant. Was that a joke I missed about him sounding nasally?
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.79 seconds
9,802,176 unique visits since 8th January 2014