Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
March 2015 Fanfic Challenge
littlesue
purplecleric wrote:

Really must get on with my ficlets, but I'm distracted by the twin temptations of breaking into TT's house to steal his bracelet and the dodgy story that's lurking along with me while Avon takes a shower... Cool

Pray do tell!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

BradPaula
@Hugbot. Loved your story. Understand it totally. Wink wink. Grin
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

BradPaula
@AnnieW: Wow! Another emotion-packed ficlet. Very well written and I loved it.

Anniew
Wit, warmth, angst, humour, I do love the fact that these challenges have resulted in such different and interesting results. I've just re-read the January challenges and they really stand up to a second read. Fantastic. Can't wait for the late contributions.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

clareblues1
meegat39 wrote:

I think you will have made a certain Clarrant have a huge smile on her face!

Well it was more of a cheesy grin, but the effect was much the same!
The foolish reject what they see;
the wise reject what they think.

clareblues1
Hugbot wrote:

This was my take on the Dayna/Tarrant scene. As I said before the basic idea is similar to Paula’s masterpiece. I have to admit that the story is completely silly and unconvincing, but there are one or two gags that I really like, so here goes ...
As Blake’s 7 always conjures up images of quarries I interpreted the ‘bench’ as the geological term. I hope that was not another blunder.
Oh, and I just hope that I did not upset my involuntary heroine ... Grin

Beyond the Horizon

*snip*

Nice one! I might try Sarcococca confusa next time. LOL
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 14 March 2015 17:44:53

littlesue
Lurena and I are working on a joint very short story concerning this month’s word prompt. So while I wait for my idea to come floating back through the ether, my thoughts have not been idle.
My art skills are no match for Lurena, so, alas, there is no lovely picture (yet) (but there is now!!) to go with this short missive which came about last Wednesday in a car showroom…………….
Whilst waiting at the garage for Hubby’s car to be serviced and have its MOT, my thoughts turned to another very patient lady who waited on the war ravaged planet of Cephlon.
Her patience was rewarded…and we other ladies who were somewhat taken by the rather nice computer expert, suddenly discovered that he wasn’t as cold hearted and detached as we had been led to believe…….

“I told you she was mad…”
The one called Vila had said that of me.
But not him.
Not Lord Avon.
He did not think me mad.
I had waited all my life for that moment.
And the moment was mine; when the nameless Lord would come and identify Deliverance.
I showed him the room; its meaning lost to my people. But he knew; but then, all things were known to my Lord.
I thought it strange that he did not know of Kashell the Wise; or of the Prophesy. But he asked that I remind him. Perhaps that was a test, to prove that I was worthy to be the chosen one.
I cannot say that I understood what he did; but his ‘followers’ obeyed his commands and there was light.
A light so much brighter than the feeble offerings that kept the dark at bay inside this last refuge of my people.
And they were dying, just as those feeble lights dimmed.
So, too, would my time come; just as those who had waited before me.
But it was I, Meegat, who greeted the nameless Lord.
It was I who witnessed the prophesy fulfilled.
And it was I who saw him leave.
To return to the stars, from whence he had come, to be with his followers.
And I, Meegat, honoured above all others, would stay here on this decaying planet and tend to those who needed me; to ease their passing. To help them rejoice that the nameless Lord had indeed come.
I had chided him for being late, but he did not rebuke me.
He smiled; a knowing, understanding smile.
I am not mad, and neither were those chosen before me.
Was I mad not to go with him? To wander the Stars?
Even if he had asked, I would have said no.
But he did not ask. Even as he explained that he was not a god, I knew that our lives would follow separate paths.
Perhaps if circumstances had been different?
He could have chosen to stay here; with me. But then, no doubt, his followers would have thought him equally mad.
No, his destiny lay elsewhere.
Away from this dying planet; away from a dying people; away from me.
But I shall remember.
As I sit in that room, knowing that he was here.
As I gaze at the meaningless words that still scurry across the screens, knowing that he understood them.
As I recall his hand lightly touching my face, as if a deep, forgotten memory had stirred.
And I sometimes imagine that he is standing there, with that knowing, understanding smile.
No, I am not mad.
I am Meegat…

i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp337/smallwondersue/img383_zpsex955a0l.jpg

As promised from Lurena

Edited by littlesue on 20 March 2015 08:00:48

meegat39
Lovely Sue! Grin
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

clareblues1
Apologies if this story topic has already been covered as I haven't had time to read all the previous contributions, but here goes!

They crouched uncomfortably under the bench. Dayna opened her mouth to speak but Tarrant silenced her with a long finger held to his lips. Her eyes widened as she heard the noise. Ears straining, holding their breath, they listened to the sound of footsteps drawing near.

He knew who it was the moment they stepped into the room. Both he and Dayna had almost finished their laundry, but Avon hated it if anyone else was in the room at the same time and being caught out was not Tarrant's idea of fun.

Peering out from under the bench, Tarrant observed as Avon loaded the machine with his soiled clothes.

The previous day had been a particularly frustrating one, culminating in an explosion, set off by Servalan, which caused a large amount of dust and debris which had covered them all thoroughly. It had got into everything and everyone was obliged to shower immediately on their return.

Now came the task of cleaning their clothes and the fact that Servalan was behind it made Avon all the grumpier.

Dayna could think of no good reason for hiding from their comrade, but was wise enough to know that Avon was in no mood for a conversation.

Fascinated, they watched as Avon went about his business, but couldn't fail to notice his slightly surreptitious manner.

What's he up to? Tarrant wondered.

Avon emptied the last item of clothing into the machine, but there seemed to be something still inside. Closing the machine, he set the appropriate wash cycle and crossed to the far side of the room.

Straining to see, Tarrant watched as Avon took a small brownish object out of the laundry bag. He placed it carefully into the hand washing basin, normally reserved for those delicate unmentionable items, and poured out a small quantity of warm water. The steam rose and fogged up the mirror-like splash screen above.

Dayna looked at Tarrant, "What's he doing?" she mouthed.

Tarrant shrugged, he couldn't quite see, but whatever it was, Avon was carefully washing it with a generous quantity of detergent. Soapy suds fell into the water and the object was now thoroughly soaked and totally unrecognisable.

Avon repeatedly rinsed the object until all the suds had been washed away. Gently he squeezed the object until most of the water had come out.

Both Dayna and Tarrant wondered what their colleague would do next, clearly this possession of which Avon was taking great care would need to be dried out, but would it survive the automatic dryer?

The question was answered when Avon placed the object inside another clean laundry bag and put it inside the dryer. He set the machine to its minimum setting and promptly left before anyone else came in.

They waited until they could no longer hear his footsteps and slowly emerged from their hiding place.

"What was all that about?" Dayna whispered.

Tarrant peered inside the dryer, the object had fallen out of the bag, since Avon had forgotten to tie it closed. His eyes widened.

"What?" she enquired and looked for herself.

In sheer disbelief Dayna's mouth fell open.

A small, brown teddy bear was tumbling over and over inside the machine, its nose scratched the glass door causing a loud noise.

"Let's get out of here quick!" Tarrant said before Avon realised they had discovered his secret.

meegat39
Clare! Just Loled at your story. I guessed what the objectewould be, but it was funny nevertheless!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Anniew
Little Sue and Clareblues1 what great stories. Hugely enjoyable reads. Thank you both.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Travisina
Great stories, everybody.
Clare - I needed a smile at the end of a long day (working on a Sunday!).
Littlesue & Lurena, thank you for that nice insight into Meegat's thoughts. I've always felt sorry for her, finding her lord and then losing him again, but perhaps she was content with that.
Hugbot - that's a fun story, and how nice to have a happy ending in B7!

It's been - continuing to be - a rather busy month for me, but will try to get something written before the clocks go forward...
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

purplecleric
@littlesue - a lovely stroll through the musings of Meegat, nicely avoiding making her seem like an air head.

@clareblues - thank you for a little March teddy fun. How could a month pass by without acknowledging Roj Bear?

Spaceship Dispatcher
Great stories Sue and Clare; an introspective for a popular guest character, and an Avon's teddy story. Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:
an Avon's teddy story. Grin

What? Oh drat! Need a new "Mad" idea for March Grin Grin

BradPaula
Very enjoyable stories, Clare and Sue. Purplecleric, this ficlet challenge was a great idea! Thanks!

Hugbot
Thank you all for your nice comments on my story.

@ Clare: I'm glad you liked it, so I can look forward to the next Horizon gatherings without having to fear any street signs ... Grin

clareblues1 wrote:

I might try Sarcococca confusa next time.

Grin I would have liked to extend the romantic dialogue in plant names, but I don't know enough suitable names. (I don't even know many plant names in German ... I fear I am completely useless in botanics. Never employ me to attend to your garden! It would be dead in a week. I once even managed to kill a tillandsia!)
Edited by Hugbot on 17 March 2015 20:47:28

Hugbot
@ LittleSue: Nice insight into Meegat's thought ... I think this is the definitive wrap-up of the 'where is everbody' thread.

@ Clare: Yay, a Roj Bear story! Really lovely ... thank you, I had a good laugh!

littlesue
Hugbot....Ever since I saw Deliverance back in 1978, I came to the conclusion that the cold hearted computer expert, wasn't anything of the sort.
By the time it had finished, both Hubby and I had decided that the chap we thought was a Federation spy, and a very cleverly designed android, was in fact very human.
And, of course, I fell in love with that jacket.....mind you, i'm still at a loss to figure out what actually transpired between Avon and Meegat during the 4 hours it took Libby to get back. What happened, or what was said, to make her no longer see him as a god???
And Avon's teddy...it's amazing how a little gift of a cuddly toy all those years ago still inspires us!!!
I wonder if next month, the Hyundai dealership in Portsmouth would mind me sitting in their waiting area, drinking their tea and having cake....thinking..........................

purplecleric
I finally managed to get this follow- up ficlet to Hugbot's Red Room finished. It's a little over the word count and I hope it does the original story justice.

No Regrets

Zen monitored space; its detectors perceiving no threat, no anomalies. Zen monitored the ship; sensors confirmed the hull’s integrity, all inboard systems operative, the auto –repair circuits performing only routine maintenance. No life forms detected apart from the six organics that comprised the crew.

Zen monitored them; their movements, their routines and reactions, every change in oxygen and nutrient intake, their rest and activity levels. And, in accordance with its programming, it had opened the red room to each, just as the System had decreed was necessary for the optimal functioning of each Alta organic component.

But these were no Altas – created, grown, trained and incorporated into a strictly ordered environment. Zen had provided the emotional element its programming dictated, from information gleaned through its neural interfaces, but it had not been prepared for the complexities of the non-Alta mindscape, had insufficient data to predict the consequences.

It could only track the increased frequency that each traversed the corridor which contained the red room. It could only record the length of time each stood waiting outside the red door, the number of times that attempts were made to open that door, that cheeks were pressed against its cold surface, that fingers trailed and fists pounded on its unrelenting hardness.

And it could only record the disturbance to their sleep cycles, the increased respiration and restlessness, the names cried out. Could only monitor the mute, motionless, wakeful hours spent in the dark.

It could not feel what Gan feels. Zen had no heart to swell at the sight of his woman or the love in her eyes. It had no hands to touch soft skin and silky hair. No hands to try to claw the implant and the memories of murder from its mind.

It could not feel what Jenna feels. Zen had no glands to flood its system with adrenaline, no blood to pump, no pride to feel, no sense of accomplishment when it piloted the ship. It had no ability to hope and dream, no capacity for increasing despair as those possibilities became ever more remote.

It could not feel what Vila feels. Zen had no stomach to flutter with excitement, no fingers to twitch and fidget with anticipation, no lips to quirk with mischief, no belly to shake with laughter. It had no muscles to shiver, no skin to sweat, no mouth to go dry, no imagination to conjure dread.

It could not feel what Cally feels. Zen had no kin, no community, no sense of belonging, no hands to hold another, no mind to meld or muse, it could only deal with the tangible. Its programming did not include isolation and loss.

It could not feel what Avon feels. To Zen, warmth was a number on a temperature scale; it had no body to press against another, no smile to exchange, no eyes to dance with delight, no life to share. It had no gut to twist with guilt, was never forced to contravene its programming or to deal with the inevitable conflict.

It could not feel what Blake feels. Zen had no soul to burn with passion, no cause to believe in, no need to make things different. Its sensors did not detect injustice, its databanks were uncorrupted, it had no morals to outrage, no family to mourn, no blood to spill.

Zen could not regret having opened the door to the highs and lows of emotion within each of the crew. It could only run the data through its logic circuits and act on the conclusion. One brief exposure had resulted in a detrimental effect on the efficiency of the crew so the red door must remain closed. As an ancient Bard had once put it:

“That way madness lies ... no more of that.”
Edited by purplecleric on 18 March 2015 02:09:33

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.89 seconds
9,170,930 unique visits since 8th January 2014