Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 5

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,308
· Newest Rebel: Rachel_4_Avon

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [46 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [30 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [15 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [30 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
17% [35 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
13% [27 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 209
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you watching?
Spaceship Dispatcher
Rewatching seasons three, four and five of Game of Thrones on DVD with the cast and crew commentaries!

sweevo
Back to the Future trilogy marathon, all 3 films back-to-back to celebrate the Day of the Hoverboard... this is the very definitely final time I am doing this annual thing, and probably the last time I'm going to see them.

One Spare Part
sweevo wrote:

Back to the Future trilogy marathon, all 3 films back-to-back to celebrate the Day of the Hoverboard... this is the very definitely final time I am doing this annual thing, and probably the last time I'm going to see them.

Didn't you say that last year? Smile
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

sweevo
I did, but I suppose I could consider this one an encore. Smile

sweevo
Re-Animator, a 1985 sci-fi horror-comedy based on a collection of short stories by HP Lovecraft and starring Jeffrey Combs as slightly unhinged medical student Herbert West.

Lee Bagnall
Battle of the Planets!

Really would prefer the original Japanese version, in Japanese but with english subtitles. Vastly superior, but for pure nostalgia? Can't beat Battle of the Planets. I feel I'm 7 years old again.
"Seldon, Janov. Space Commander. Alpha 14922. Name, rank and serial number. That's all you're getting!"

sweevo
Science Ninja Team Gatchaman? Here you go.

https://animebee....ode-1.html
https://9anime.to....2ovl/ep-1

Both sites have a plethora of anime to go through and most are available both dubbed into English and in Japanese with subtitles.

Deva
Lee Bagnall wrote:

Battle of the Planets!

Really would prefer the original Japanese version, in Japanese but with english subtitles. Vastly superior, but for pure nostalgia? Can't beat Battle of the Planets. I feel I'm 7 years old again.

Yeah, Battle of the Planets was great. I always thought Zoltar was so cool. Do I remember rightly that at the end there was a suggestion that Zoltar was a woman?
"Time really is getting short, you know..."

Lee Bagnall
In BotP, Zoltar had a sister called Mala Latroz. Subtle they weren't.

In the original Japanese, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, Zoltar was Berg Katse, who it was revealed in the final few episodes should have been born as twins, male and female. The big villain behind Galactor, the terrorist syndicate headed by Katse, was an alien from Cygnus X, who had interfered with Katse's birth somehow, so he ended up as a shape changing hermaphrodite.

There's a lot of really cool sub text in the original and back story - I've seen some of the Japanese ones on youtube but they tend to get shut down very quickly - and it's got some superb characterisation. Some of the original shows through in BotP, but it's very sanitised and that stupid bloody robot is very annoying.
"Seldon, Janov. Space Commander. Alpha 14922. Name, rank and serial number. That's all you're getting!"

Deva
Lee Bagnall wrote:

In the original Japanese, Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, Zoltar was Berg Katse, who it was revealed in the final few episodes should have been born as twins, male and female. The big villain behind Galactor, the terrorist syndicate headed by Katse, was an alien from Cygnus X, who had interfered with Katse's birth somehow, so he ended up as a shape changing hermaphrodite.

Outstanding!
Thanks.
"Time really is getting short, you know..."

One Spare Part
Leading up to the new Spiderman film and in light of the trailer revealing Doc Ock as a participant, I am rewatching all (well, nearly all) the previous Spidey films. Watched the 1st 2 Tobeys.

sweevo
Lifeforce, a 1985 science fiction horror/mystery film by Tobe Hooper (The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Poltergeist) based on Colin Wilson's novel The Space Vampires (which was the original working title for the film before the studio, Cannon Films, decided to rename it in an attempt to break away from their B-movie genesis and tap into the summer blockbuster market). I can best describe it as 1/3 Quatermass and the Pit, 1/3 Doctor Who and 1/3 Hammer Horror, featuring a "Who's Who?" of familiar faces such as Steve Railsback, Peter Firth, Frank Finlay, Michael Gothard, Patrick Stewart (in his first on-screen kiss), Aubrey Morris and Mathilda May. For me, the score by Henry Mancini (The Pink Panther, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Silver Streak) is the icing on the cake.

Note: I am referring to the uncut version released in Europe - the US got a butchered edit for their theatrical release. Here's the main theme if you fancy a listen: https://www.youtu...sV7TuNMr5M

sweevo
Just finished watching Talk Radio, a 1988 drama based on a stage play by Eric Bogosian (who also stars in the film) as a controversial radio DJ whose show is about to go national while he gradually loses his mind over the very nature of his profession.

JustBrad
Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars

By far the best series finale I have ever seen.
Men of Harlech cease your dreaming, can't you see their street signs gleaming...

One Spare Part
Just finished Series 4 of The Avengers and now in glorious ABC television colour...series 5!
I am boring my brother every time I say " he/she was in Blakes 7"...

Sadly, I will not be moving onto series 6. I don't like it much. I used to put all the blame on Linda Thorson but that is unfair. The few eps of S6 that I do like she is very acceptable in the role. It is the scripts, 'Mother', the whole new outlook of the show and the fact that it had just got very silly. Eccentricity I can take but this series tipped the balance from the sublime to the ridiculous.
After S5, I will be going back to Mrs Gale...

One Spare Part
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Just watched the 1st episode of The Sandbaggers - a show I seemed to have missed completely when it was 1st on. Interesting: a slow build up then the excitement starts. Very likeable (but not as good as Callan).

Also watched 1st episode of Doomwatch: brilliant and still relevant. This story from 1970 concerned plastic waste and an experiment to get rid of it. Over 50 years ago this was one of the topics of the moment: and look where we are now...in an even worse position. From the sublime to the ridiculous: the next surviving episode is the rat one. Oh dear. This one hasn't fared so well as the 1st story in terms of standing the test of time. The scenes in which Toby Wren & co fight off stuffed rats is ludicrous. That said when a Doomwatch man stumbles over the remains of a scientist later on in the story...the make up effects of a partly eaten arm were great and properly horrific especially for the time it was made. Doesn't quite make up for seeing Robert Powell bashes a fake rat on a kitchen table...

The Sandbaggers grows stronger as you watch more episodes because it's very character based, probably more about the people than the operations and so tends towards being less complex than Le Carré while still comparable in terms of style. Doomwatch on the other hand was a struggle to get to the end of the collection, because in my opinion the strength in depth of the characters fades as the storylines get sillier.

Sandbaggers has become a household classic...well a classic in our household, I mean. Once we got used to the style, our anticipation went sky high - very exciting and as for the finale....he is NOT dead!

Regarding Doomwatch, I gave up on that. Oh dear, not stood the test of time, at least in the eps I saw. Never mind, eh...

sweevo
Dark Blood - River Phoenix's last role before his untimely death at the age of 23. About 3/4 was filmed before his passing, and the film was eventually completed (note: cobbled together into a semi-coherent edit) 20 years later with voiceover narration filling in the blanks for the scenes that were never filmed.

sweevo
Checking out That 70s Show for the first time... now I feel a sudden urge to insert my foot into a very specific part of the anatomy of whoever happens to irritate me.

BradPaula
Started UFO last Saturday night. So far, I like it.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

littlesue
One Spare Part wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Just watched the 1st episode of The Sandbaggers - a show I seemed to have missed completely when it was 1st on. Interesting: a slow build up then the excitement starts. Very likeable (but not as good as Callan).

Also watched 1st episode of Doomwatch: brilliant and still relevant. This story from 1970 concerned plastic waste and an experiment to get rid of it. Over 50 years ago this was one of the topics of the moment: and look where we are now...in an even worse position. From the sublime to the ridiculous: the next surviving episode is the rat one. Oh dear. This one hasn't fared so well as the 1st story in terms of standing the test of time. The scenes in which Toby Wren & co fight off stuffed rats is ludicrous. That said when a Doomwatch man stumbles over the remains of a scientist later on in the story...the make up effects of a partly eaten arm were great and properly horrific especially for the time it was made. Doesn't quite make up for seeing Robert Powell bashes a fake rat on a kitchen table...

The Sandbaggers grows stronger as you watch more episodes because it's very character based, probably more about the people than the operations and so tends towards being less complex than Le Carré while still comparable in terms of style. Doomwatch on the other hand was a struggle to get to the end of the collection, because in my opinion the strength in depth of the characters fades as the storylines get sillier.

Sandbaggers has become a household classic...well a classic in our household, I mean. Once we got used to the style, our anticipation went sky high - very exciting and as for the finale....he is NOT dead!

Regarding Doomwatch, I gave up on that. Oh dear, not stood the test of time, at least in the eps I saw. Never mind, eh...

The stories that I remember about Doomwatch are the Rats episode and the one with the plastic melting...especially the plane falling to pieces about the passengers. And the other one is the episode that has been wiped...the one where Toby Wren tries and fails to diffuse a bomb at the end of a pier....oh dear. The night Duty Officer at the Beeb had a sudden shock as his switchboard lit up with people complaining about the death pf a character...the same thing happened on the evening of December 21st 1981!!!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 1.03 seconds
36,757,989 unique visits since 8th January 2014