Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,198
· Newest Rebel: Mag168

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
22% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
8% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [25 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
11% [19 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 173
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you watching?
sweevo
Nightbreed, another one of Clive Barker's cinematic eccentricities, based on his own novel Cabal.

Hugbot
Color, a jaw-droppingly brilliant and highly artistic (*) short film about how to deal with the Dark Side...

(*) Yup, really, I am definitely NOT being sarcastic.

BradPaula
Watching Rome, episodes 3 and 4, The Witcher episode 1 and Picard, episodes 1-5.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Gauda Cheese
Star Trek Picard- I'm enjoying it, I only wish stuff happened.

Blood on Satans Claw- An alright horror movie

Kansas City Confidential- An old noir gem

Guns Akimbo- is video game fun.

Doctor Who: The Timeless Child (Well I enjoyed it, some people really won't)

Gauda Cheese
rojkerr1 wrote:

Picard. Superb, real Star Trek.

I like it, even though it moves at an awful snails pace.

One Spare Part
Ah, the age old question: when do SF tv shows work better slow than fast?...and vice versa.
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

sweevo
Just finished checking out Bram Stoker's Dracula (Francis Ford Coppola's last decent movie before his final downfall into has-been status)... what the hell did I watch? How does this film have the balls to put Bram Stoker's name on it when it takes so many liberties that it's barely recognisable apart from the basic premise and the characters? Let me summarise my complaints about this:

1. The love story - the prologue was probably the best part of the film and it showed the genesis of everyone's favourite vampire who never drinks wine, but this is DRACULA, not Twilight!

2. The acting - Gary Oldman IS Count Dracula. Likewise, Richard E Grant and Anthony Hopkins excel in their roles as Doctor Jack Seward and Professor Abraham van Helsing respectively (AH also plays a priest in the prologue)... Bill Campbell as Quincey Morris is OK, but he doesn't get enough screen time - ditto Cary Elwes as Lord Arthur Holmwood. Weakest links are easily Keanu Reeves as Jonathan Harker (seriously, Keanu, you could have just said no if you were that burned out from working for 5 years nonstop) and Winona Ryder - in her defence, this IS the highlight of her career (Alien Resurrection and Mr Deeds demolished it like bulldozers).

3. The over-sexualisation of the female characters - I want to point out that I am not a prude, I'm not an uber-conservative who derides stuff like that, I just don't think it belongs in a frigging Dracula movie.

4. The Brides of Dracula feeding on a live infant... ARE YOU KIDDING ME, COPPOLA!? That didn't even happen in the damn book!

Now what do I like about it? Oldman, Grant, Elwes and Hopkins's performances, as previously mentioned, and the music by the late great Wojciech Kilar - the score gives the film an air of gravitas and epicness but it is ultimately wasted.

Ultimately, can I recommend Bram Stoker's Dracula as a Dracula adaptation? No. I'm sorry if I'm ranting a little bit too much but it takes a lot to make me this riled up, and this movie is going to go in my list of banned films along with Saló: The 120 Days of Sodom, Cannibal Holocaust and The Devil's Advocate (which also happened to star Mr Reeves, this time acting alongside Al Pacino).
Edited by sweevo on 05 March 2020 02:21:39

Gauda Cheese
One Spare Part wrote:

Ah, the age old question: when do SF tv shows work better slow than fast?...and vice versa.

Just, because Picard is older and slower, doesn't mean the show needs to be Oops

One Spare Part
Gauda Cheese wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Just, because Picard is older and slower, doesn't mean the show needs to be Oops

Maybe they are laying some groundwork? Or easing us into it? Or misdirecting us before going for a wham bam run of fast moving excitement? Or having quieter moments with more speedier elements to come?

JustBrad
One Spare Part wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

One Spare Part wrote:

Maybe they are laying some groundwork? Or easing us into it? Or misdirecting us before going for a wham bam run of fast moving excitement? Or having quieter moments with more speedier elements to come?

I think it is a conscious choice to take a slow pace, concentrating on character interactions rather than rapid plot development and action, to make the story character driven rather than action or plot driven. That's all well and good, but I can't help but wonder if they originally had six episodes mapped out and CBS said, 'We'll take it, but we want ten."

Which is essentially what happened to Torchwood Miracle Day.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

One Spare Part
I will have to catch up with Picard to see what you're saying. But I can't stand 7 of 9 as a character....

JustBrad
One Spare Part wrote:

I will have to catch up with Picard to see what you're saying. But I can't stand 7 of 9 as a character....

So far (through 6 episodes) she's only in it five minutes.

I have a great deal of respect for Jerri Ryan ever since I saw her at a con, with the flu, and a high fever, and she didn't miss a single event.

That said, I know what you mean about 7 of 9. They wrote out Kes and brought in 7 of 9 in an obvious ratings ploy.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

One Spare Part
Jeri Ryan is A1. Loved her in Dark Skies - the tv series. But 7 of 9...As a character she certainly gets things moving. When she disobeyed Janeway and was punished for it...brilliant storyline. However, the character never seems to learn or get beyond her Borg connection to the point that you wonder why is she is bothering being with humans. Yes it mixes things up but I feel she is stuck in a time warp....but if she is only in it for a bit maybe I can get Picard-ing to my heart's content. Make it so!

rojkerr1
I love Seven, Kes was really boring! Some of sevens stories are the best in Voyager I think

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

I love Seven, Kes was really boring! Some of sevens stories are the best in Voyager I think

Oh I have to agree with you on that. Kes was rubbish really. I don't think her storylines fully worked out. 7/9 is miles better as a character, as far as that goes. She does hit a brick wall later as regards her character development.

rojkerr1
liked it when she came back and practically destroyed the ship

rojkerr1
I loved the seven one with her past personalities

sweevo
I just want to make a little correction in regards to my recent Dracula binge. The whole "live baby is fed to the Brides" thing? That actually DOES happen in the book now that I've re-read it. Jesus, it takes a sick mind to include something like that in a story of this type, and, quite frankly, I'm washing my hands of the book and every adaptation based on that one single fact alone. Bram Stoker, you utter sicko.

Klenotka
I still have to watch the last episode of Picard but I recently rewatched Voyager after years, and yes, they brought Ryan for ratings - it was obvious why they brourght a tall blonde in tight suit - but Jeri Ryan is acually one of the few Voyager actors who was able to get bigger roles outside Star Trek. Picardo and Mulgrew were sort of names before, and I remember when Kate Mulgrew was here a few years ago that she did not hold back her distate towards Jeri Ryan. I honestly felt - and i never met Jeri Ryan (yet) - that Kate Muldrew was by far the least likeable actor from ST actors I met so far. Yes, they say Dominic Keating is pretty difficult but at least he is not hiding it. Not sure, maybe she just had a bad mood, it happens and it is hard to judge after one meeting.
Anyway, I would love to see more of Seven in Picard because from what I saw, her story after Voyager got far and it would be good to see her more.
Edited by Klenotka on 07 March 2020 15:59:11
Don´t be Lasagne

One Spare Part
sweevo wrote:

I just want to make a little correction in regards to my recent Dracula binge. The whole "live baby is fed to the Brides" thing? That actually DOES happen in the book now that I've re-read it. Jesus, it takes a sick mind to include something like that in a story of this type, and, quite frankly, I'm washing my hands of the book and every adaptation based on that one single fact alone. Bram Stoker, you utter sicko.

Blimey.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
26,142,393 unique visits since 8th January 2014