Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 10

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 1,155
· Newest Rebel: Mondas42

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
23% [37 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [6 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [22 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [11 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
14% [23 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
18% [28 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [7 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [15 Votes]

Other
Other
5% [8 Votes]

Votes: 159
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you watching?
rojkerr1
I love Callan, got the quad movie poster....bloody hell....! when he drives through the greenhouse...

Klenotka
I started with The Orville. I donīt like Seth MacFarlaneīs type of a humour but this is not it. This is Star Trek, just with real people, who behave like people. I am surprised, it is really good.
Donīt be Lasagne

Child Of Auron
After a two week holiday in Cyprus I got back earlier this week to watch season 9 of Are You Being Served? and start the seventh and final season of The West Wing.

It's hard watching John Spencer as Leo in this season knowing that sadly a heart attack was to take him before they finished filming

sweevo
Anything which can snap me out of my FPS-induced funk (I struggle to cope with a lot of violent content recently, whether it be in games or movies - something happened to me and I'm going through a kind of Max Payne-like experience, and considering 90% of my movie and gaming collection involves gunfights... it's going to be a tough one).

BradPaula
Watched Macbeth (Roman Polanski 1970) starring Jon Finch and Francesca Annis and we liked it a lot. Blake's 7 references were many: Paul Shelley (Provine from Countdown) and Bruce Purchase (Gola from The Keeper) were in the film as was Bamburg Castle and beach for a location scene (Aftermath). Decent flick.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

Watched Macbeth (Roman Polanski 1970) starring Jon Finch and Francesca Annis and we liked it a lot. Blake's 7 references were many: Paul Shelley (Provine from Countdown) and Bruce Purchase (Gola from The Keeper) were in the film as was Bamburg Castle and beach for a location scene (Aftermath). Decent flick.

Probably my fave screen version of the Scottish play. The Patrick Stewart film was a brilliant, heart-stopping nightmare, but whenever I want to see Macbeth played 'straight' in all its violent period g(l)ory, Polanki's is the one I turn to. Jon & Francesca make a wonderful Mr & Mrs M, and apart from the B7 actors, it's fun to watch Martin Shaw as Banquo.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

Probably my fave screen version of the Scottish play. The Patrick Stewart film was a brilliant, heart-stopping nightmare, but whenever I want to see Macbeth played 'straight' in all its violent period g(l)ory, Polanki's is the one I turn to. Jon & Francesca make a wonderful Mr & Mrs M, and apart from the B7 actors, it's fun to watch Martin Shaw as Banquo.

My only complaint is that the cut MacDuff egging MacBeth to fight:

Then yield thee, coward,
And live to be the show and gaze o' the time:
We'll have thee, as our rarer monsters are,
Painted on a pole, and underwrit,
'Here may you see the tyrant.'

As for the Patrick Stewart version, my favorite moment was the delaying of Macbeth's final word.

Then lay on, MacDuff, and cursed be he who first cries hold...Long fight scene before MacBeth sees a vision of the witches and wearily surrenders to the prophecy... Enough...

Travisina
JustBrad wrote:

My only complaint is that the cut MacDuff egging MacBeth to fight:

'Then yield thee, coward,
And live to be the show and gaze o' the time:
We'll have thee, as our rarer monsters are,
Painted on a pole, and underwrit,
'Here may you see the tyrant.'

Yeah, there's always stuff cut out. I'm sorry that most versions don't include this speech by one of the witches:

A sailor's wife had chestnuts in her lap,
And munch'd, and munch'd, and munch'd:--
'Give me,' quoth I:
'Aroint thee, witch!' the rump-fed ronyon cries.
Her husband's to Aleppo gone, master o' the Tiger:
But in a sieve I'll thither sail,
And, like a rat without a tail,
I'll do, I'll do, and I'll do.

It's such fun - my Mum and I recite it in unison when doing the washing up!
I was most surprised that the recent Rory Kinnear in the latest National Theatre version didn't even have 'Double double toil & trouble' - literally cut to the chase (ie, Macbeth arriving).

As for the Patrick Stewart version, my favorite moment was the delaying of Macbeth's final word.

Then lay on, MacDuff, and cursed be he who first cries hold...Long fight scene before MacBeth sees a vision of the witches and wearily surrenders to the prophecy... Enough...

It was very well done - and Rory Kinnear did something similar. Seems to be a popular way of doing it now.

But that's one of the (many) things I love about Shakespeare - the infinite number of ways each word can be played. Also in Macbeth, when Malcolm is told that his father's dead, his first reaction is to say "Oh" - so many different ways I've heard that monosyllable performed!

JustBrad
Travisina wrote:

But that's one of the (many) things I love about Shakespeare - the infinite number of ways each word can be played.

Indeed, I think the number one thing that's led to a resurgence of Shakespeare in film and on TV is when they stopped treating the plays as Holy Writ and started treating them like any other script - raw material waiting to be interpreted by actors and directors.

BradPaula
Watched "Paint Your Wagon" (1969) last night. What a musical with Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood as the main characters. Jean Seberg rounded out the cast. I had never seen it and it was certainly entertaining seeing these rough and tough characters attempt to sing. But a fun couple of hours watching it.

Later, we watched Mystery Science Theater: 300 The Return and 'Cry Wilderness' which was a big pile of manure, but fun as they did a great job 'riffing' this piece of garbage. It revolves around a boy who met and talked to Bigfoot and has to leave school to save his Dad from a fate worse then death. What a stinker but funny all the same. Love MST.

Travisina
BradPaula wrote:

Watched "Paint Your Wagon" (1969) last night. What a musical with Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood as the main characters. Jean Seberg rounded out the cast. I had never seen it and it was certainly entertaining seeing these rough and tough characters attempt to sing. But a fun couple of hours watching it.

I've only seen it once, years ago - and I loved it. The songs are great, and there's plenty of humour.

Later, we watched Mystery Science Theater: 300 The Return and 'Cry Wilderness' which was a big pile of manure, but fun as they did a great job 'riffing' this piece of garbage. It revolves around a boy who met and talked to Bigfoot and has to leave school to save his Dad from a fate worse then death. What a stinker but funny all the same. Love MST.

We used to get MST3K on the SciFi channel - so much fun! It was the series with Mike Nelson.

BradPaula
Travisina wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

I've only seen it once, years ago - and I loved it. The songs are great, and there's plenty of humour.

We used to get MST3K on the SciFi channel - so much fun! It was the series with Mike Nelson.

Yeah, Joel was first host, Mike was the second host. This is a new series funded by the fans and on Netflix. New host, same bots, same humor. Not Deep 13 anymore on Earth, but Deep 13 on the Moon and the 'mads' are Dr. Forrester's daughter and her side-kick is TV's Frank's son.

littlesue
BradPaula wrote:

I saw Paint Your Wagon at the cinema when it first came out.....and they had an intermission because it was so long!!!
My fave song is 'They call The Wind Maria' sung by Harve Presnell. Others have tried to sing it, but his is the original and the best!
I've got the LP and now the CD, 'There's a Coach Coming In' sounds fantastic on surround sound!!!
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

One Spare Part
littlesue wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

I saw Paint Your Wagon at the cinema when it first came out.....and they had an intermission because it was so long!!!
My fave song is 'They call The Wind Maria' sung by Harve Presnell. Others have tried to sing it, but his is the original and the best!
I've got the LP and now the CD, 'There's a Coach Coming In' sounds fantastic on surround sound!!!

When I saw Paula's original post the 1st thing that came into my head was the memory of seeing it at the cinema. I can remember standing on the steps of the ABC after and that was when my mother discovered I hadn't got a single button left on my coat! I was a clumsy clot when I was a kid...nothing has changed...anyway, yes! They Called the Wind Maria is a top moment from the film for me too. The image of him standing in the opening of a tent singing that song is imprinted in my memory. And the fantastic Lee Marvin singing I Was Born Under a Wanderin' Star! Me and my mates were doing impersonations of his singing for months afterwards. It added a bit of glamour to our usual game of cowboys and indians...
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

JustBrad
littlesue wrote:

I saw Paint Your Wagon at the cinema when it first came out.....
My fave song is 'They call The Wind Maria' sung by Harve Presnell.

Yes, and I was gobsmacked when I realized that the same actor who played the dashing, charming, singing, Rotten Luck Willie in Paint Your Wagon, also played the cranky, acerbic Wade Gustafson in Fargo. Talent and versatility.

rojkerr1
Hallelujah, with Thora Hird, really enjoying it, salvation army comedy, good casts including Patsy smart, Geoffrey baildon

Child Of Auron
So I finished the last season of The West Wing today. I believe this has to be the greatest tv show ever to come out of the USA, if not the world. The characters and drama engaged from the very beginning and yes, I did have a little trouble seeing at times during the final episode.

Now on to the final ever season of Are You Being Served....

BradPaula
"Wings", the 1927 silent film about World War I. Then MST 3K "The Time Travellers".

Joe Dredd
Child Of Auron wrote:
I finished the last season of The West Wing today. I believe this has to be the greatest tv show ever to come out of the USA, if not the world. [...snip...] Now on to the final ever season of Are You Being Served....

What a leap!

sweevo
Going through the Dirty Harry Pentalogy - having seen the first three movies on consecutive nights (Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, The Enforcer), tonight I'll be checking out "Sudden Impact" followed by the much-maligned finale "The Dead Pool" tomorrow - and to be honest with you, the best sequel to the original DH is "Magnum Force", since it deals with the issue of police corruption taken to an extreme level in the form of fanatic vigilantism (something which the character of Harry Callahan is sometimes accused of being).

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.71 seconds
22,951,843 unique visits since 8th January 2014