Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 1
bob79519

· Total Rebels: 1,218
· Newest Rebel: Jason

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
21% [38 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
4% [8 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [25 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
1% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [13 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
15% [27 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
16% [29 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
4% [8 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
12% [21 Votes]

Other
Other
4% [8 Votes]

Votes: 179
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Privacy Policy+

In line with the new General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that came into effect on 25th May 2018, we have updated our Privacy Policy. Click HERE for details.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you watching?
Spaceship Dispatcher
JustBrad wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Just started a personal rewatch of Game of Thrones, all eight seasons plus a few selected DVD extras...

B7 fans are a natural for GoT, as they are already used to seeing their favorite characters die. It's almost expected.

An exercise in futility (the narrative that is, not watching the show!) where every character is flawed. Only a couple are irredeemably evil (even they probably have a fan, somewhere) but equally few are 'good' in a traditional, censor happy, Disney hero sense. Most show a mix of positive and negative behavior, have moments of wisdom and humour, and are the protagonists of their own stories, whatever others think about them.

JustBrad

JustBrad wrote:

Just started a personal rewatch of Game of Thrones, all eight seasons plus a few selected DVD extras...

B7 fans are a natural for GoT, as they are already used to seeing their favorite characters die. It's almost expected.

An exercise in futility (the narrative that is, not watching the show!) where every character is flawed. Only a couple are irredeemably evil (even they probably have a fan, somewhere) but equally few are 'good' in a traditional, censor happy, Disney hero sense. Most show a mix of positive and negative behavior, have moments of wisdom and humour, and are the protagonists of their own stories, whatever others think about them.

Ramsay and Joffrey are irredeemable, but balanced by Tywin Lannister. Tywin is ruthless and determined to have his way in all things. but you can also respect his strength, resolve, and commitment to the family name. And you would likely admit that if you were in his shoes, you would do exactly as he did.

To your other point, every Stark that dies, dies because they did something remarkably stupid.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

rojkerr1
never got into GOT, or B5 or Breaking bad, tho I did try! Just didn't grab me, as B7 continues to grab me...

rojroj
Here is a short comparison between B7 and GoT which I wrote for another forum. This was several years ago and I had only seen the first one or two seasons of GoT at the time, but I think the comparison still holds.

"The reason I started thinking about comparisons in the first place was the motif of the Wall. As anyone who's watched the series knows, in Game of Thrones there is a great Wall guarding the known territories of the Realm from the potential dangers coming from the wild and unexplored North. The people manning the Wall (in rather harsh conditions, and almost perpetual winter) are known as the Night's Watch, and most of them are some sort of social outcasts or criminals: former thieves, murderers, rapists, victims or perpetrators of political intrigues. Many of them were recruited from prisons, or offered to choose between a prison sentence and a life-long service in the Night's Watch. The concept made me think of The Liberator. It is true that in Game of Thrones, the Night's Watch has been created to serve the existing social order, whereas the Liberator crew has come together in opposition to it; but at another level, both storylines deal with the former law-breakers who have been given a second chance and a new sense of direction, enabling them to dedicate their lives to a positive and selfless goal.

In terms of characters, I haven't been able (yet) to pinpoint anyone who would qualify as an equivalent to Blake. Perhaps Arya has a chance of becoming somewhat like Blake when she grows up. She certainly has Blake-like passion for truth and justice, and a rebellious nature. She makes friends easily and although she is of noble birth (an Alpha, so to speak) she is immune to the rigid class divisions plaguing her world. As an effective (though not official) ruler of the Realm, and a rather ruthless character, Cersei would be an equivalent of Servalan. This also leads me to compare the Clegane brothers (but especially Sandor, the Hound) with Travis. I'm very fond of the character of Tyrion, but I cannot say which B7 character he could possibly be compared with.

And here's another interesting detail: Donald Sumpter, who plays Maester Luwin in the series, was originally offered the role of Roj Blake, but refused it. He's quite likeable as Luwin, so it makes one wonder what kind of Blake he would have made in his youth. Though my guess is that he wouldn't have been as explosive and passionate as Our Roj."

https://www.facebook.com/blakes7rojblake/
Travisina
I loved, with a searing passion, the GoT books, and read them on continuous loop for about 2 years.

Not having Sky TV, I've not watched the TV adapatation, though I've seen a few eps of series 1 on DVD. TBH - although I thought the production did well with casting and locations, I found it disappointing. Everything seemed to happen too quickly, and on too small a scale - like bullet points, rather than full storytelling. I know that the series was faithful to the books for a while, then went its own way, and now have no idea whether GRRM will ever finish the next book (or the one after). Welcome to limbo.

Anyway, IMO the best thing about GoT are the characters, with Tyrion a particular fave. I agree with what SD said above - 'Most show a mix of positive and negative behavior, have moments of wisdom and humour, and are the protagonists of their own stories, whatever others think about them.' I love that they do good things for bad reasons, and vice versa.

All of which is a long, convoluted and slightly off-topic way of saying that despite 2 years full immersion in GoT, it didn't occur to me to compare it to B7! To me, it was a mash-up of the War of the Roses and 'I Claudius' (with dragons).
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
A statement of fact cannot be insolent

rojroj
I have a habit of comparing everything to B7 Grin I'll probably write a short essay about the similarities between Black Sails and Blake.

sweevo
Heat, a 1995 epic crime drama directed by Michael Mann and starring Al Pacino and Robert De Niro as professionals on opposite sides of the law who are more alike than they think (Pacino is a cop, De Niro is a bank robber). The movie can be viewed here (all nearly-3 hours of it): https://www.youtu...mgy45TFCLw

Spaceship Dispatcher
rojroj wrote:

I have a habit of comparing everything to B7 Grin I'll probably write a short essay about the similarities between Black Sails and Blake.

Something comparing Black Sails and Blake's 7 would be interesting! Guthrie as Blake and Flint as Avon?

rojroj

rojroj wrote:

Something comparing Black Sails and Blake's 7 would be interesting! Guthrie as Blake and Flint as Avon?

Flint as Blake, of course -- the leader of the revolution. Also, single-minded, manipulative, but essentially an idealist. Silver resembles Avon, to some degree. I haven't thought much about Guthrie.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
One Spare Part wrote:

If we are still in a Gerry Anderson mood, take a look at this. It's fab!

https://youtu.be/...

I saw a live show down in Blackfriars based on captain Scarlet..I just need to find the programme
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

BradPaula
Hammer Film's "She" with Ursula Andress, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Great line up of actors, not so great story.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

BradPaula
"The Enemy Below" a WWII submarine film from 1957 with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens. Then, "Yankee Doodle Dandy" with James Cagney, for the 4th of july, and after, "The Music Man" with Robert Preston and Shirley Jones.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

JustBrad
BradPaula wrote:

"The Enemy Below" a WWII submarine film from 1957 with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens.

Curt Jurgens (and he's known in Hollywood), absolutely stole the show with a riveting performance.
i.imgur.com/AD5ikh4.png
MODthra

rojkerr1
I watched Enemy, very good, oddly compassionate, Jurgens great in Man from uncle, spy who loved me and Vault of horror

littlesue
Just watched another episode of Sir Francis Drake on Talking Pictures. Roger Delgado before he was the Master being nasty towards Dr Dee; Michael Crawford before he was Frank Spencer singing a lovely rendition of Greensleeves and yet another fantastic sword fight between Terence Morgan and Peter Diamond (I presume). I'm loving this series all over again (from the 60's on our 14 inch TV). So well written, so well acted. Ian Stuart Black is the script editor and half of the production crew went on to work on The Prisoner...speaking of which, Patrick Mcgoohan was a nasty piece of work in The Adventures Of Sir Lancelot on Saturday.
And The Adventures of Robin Hood, on Sunday, is an absolute joy. Everyone in it is so enjoying themselves!
Edited by littlesue on 06 July 2020 14:14:29
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

rojkerr1
classic trek mark of gideon, what a nightmarish story, that heartbeat against the ship...

One Spare Part
BradPaula wrote:

"The Enemy Below" a WWII submarine film from 1957 with Robert Mitchum and Curt Jurgens. Then, "Yankee Doodle Dandy" with James Cagney, for the 4th of july, and after, "The Music Man" with Robert Preston and Shirley Jones.

A great trio of films. Recently rewatched Enemy Below, chock full of great actors. I have been wanting to rewatch a great Cagney film for ages: something from the gangster era with Humphery Bogart, Edmond O'Brien et al. And a classic musical to finish. 76 trombones in the big parade....
"We're in the centre of a mystical convergence here."

One Spare Part
rojkerr1 wrote:

classic trek mark of gideon, what a nightmarish story, that heartbeat against the ship...

That's a really great episode for series 3. Really makes you think about overpopulation!

rojkerr1
never to be alone, I would kill to be alone

One Spare Part
No kill I.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.60 seconds
27,281,913 unique visits since 8th January 2014