Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 946
· Newest Rebel: Bailey t

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
20% [20 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
18% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 100
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
What are you watching?
Travisina
The new BBC adaptation of 'Little Women'. I've read the book so many times I know it by heart and can be quite critical of adaptations, but this is really rather good.
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
sweevo wrote:

"Judge Dredd", the ill-fated live-action version from 1995 starring Sylvester Stallone. It's not THAT bad a movie (they took a LOT of creative liberties compared to the source material), it's OK - kind of like a semi-follow-up to "Demolition Man".

I think they really captured the look of Mega City One, and the Hammerstein war-robot (which is actually from a different 2000AD strip) was brilliant. There's a few good lines as well (the meaning of life - "It ends"), but there was so much going on behind the scenes (the long gestation, script rewriting, Stallone loving it then hating it then deciding he wanted to play it for laughs, having a big-name star who needed to show his face) it had a lot of negatives to overcome. Having a personal story about Dredd and his clone brother would've been a better fit for a sequel once the character was established in a more straight-forward action movie. Also, as has been said elsewhere, having Dredd arrested and stripped of his role as Judge early in the movie is like going to see a Batman movie and finding out 90% of it is about Bruce Wayne.

Oh, and having Versace design the uniform may have sounded good on paper but it turned Dredd's well-hard name badge into a piece of cosmetic jewelry and gave him a codpiece! FAIL!

The Karl Urban 2012 movie was truer to the character but the level of violence meant it could never reach the audience numbers it needed to make back the money. Plus the studio insisted they do it 3D, even though they didn't want to. They made good, imaginative use of it but again although there was a 2D version, many cinemas in the US had 3D screenings or nothing, again cutting off audiences who didn't like 3D.

Joe Dredd
I'll just add that one of the other problems for the Stallone Dredd movie was that Robocop got in first, even though it was really, er, let's be charitable and say "inspired" by the character & situation of Judge Dredd.

Here's the concept statue originally made for Robocop: That head looks familiar

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
Jumanji 2 was ok. The kids loved it.

Dwayne Johnson was awesome, Karen Gillan appeared to have a lot of fun trying to act sexy. Kevin Hart, who I can't recall seeing before was good and Jack Black was Jack Black. Nick Jonas appears to have grown up( and Hot!) according to the girls.
I used to be such a sweet sweet thing
Till they got a hold of me.

BradPaula
Watched one of the 'cheesy' movies we love. Got a new set of DVD's for Christmas and we watched "Phantom from 10,000 Leagues", last night. The only problem was that the phantom was a rubber monster suited man in about 15 feet of water that would stand and guard this secret radioactive patch in the ocean which would kill anyone on sight. A real stinker of a movie- but then, we love these flicks. So a bit of a biit and switch thing- 15 feet=10,000 leagues!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
BradPaula wrote:

Watched one of the 'cheesy' movies we love. Got a new set of DVD's for Christmas and we watched "Phantom from 10,000 Leagues", last night. The only problem was that the phantom was a rubber monster suited man in about 15 feet of water that would stand and guard this secret radioactive patch in the ocean which would kill anyone on sight. A real stinker of a movie- but then, we love these flicks. So a bit of a biit and switch thing- 15 feet=10,000 leagues!

Sounds like one of those movies Hannibal Smith would appear in before his A-Team duties called.

sweevo
I just discovered the 60's TV show "Gomer Pyle USMC" starring the late great Jim Nabors. It's certainly interesting (a well-meaning but simple-minded soul in military service trying to do the right thing, but not always succeeding) - kind of reminds me of what could have happened to me if my original life plan had worked out (2 years of college followed by military service in either the UK or Italy - I was rejected in both countries due to my Asperger Syndrome).

Hugbot
Alien Nation (the TV series) ... a sad disappointment. I loved the show when it was on the air over here in the beginning of the 90s but now it is barely watchable. While the show has a relevant message (now more important than ever) they should not have tried to hammer it home so explicitely. It all feels so contrived. Talk about out-Roddenberrying Roddenberry!

Klenotka
Hugbot wrote:

Alien Nation (the TV series) ... a sad disappointment. I loved the show when it was on the air over here in the beginning of the 90s but now it is barely watchable. While the show has a relevant message (now more important than ever) they should not have tried to hammer it home so explicitely. It all feels so contrived. Talk about out-Roddenberrying Roddenberry!

I rewatched it a couple of years ago and it is, well, very 90s. However, some of the movies that followed the show were really good. I felt that if they got more seasons, it could have been much better and more developed.
Donīt be Lasagne

Vanessa Doffenshmirtz
2 tone Britain came up as a recommendation after watching "The Way Back"

https://www.youtu...5QqNRQkT_s It's about UK Ska music of the late 70's.

Child Of Auron
I've finally reached season 8 on my X Files re-watch. This is the series without Mulder and the introduction of John Doggett as Scully's partner.

I am five episodes in and I actually can't remember any of them from my first viewing of them but my interest in the series did wane from about the fifth series. Although I am coping better this time round I do believe it went on too long and got bogged down in its own continuity

BradPaula
Just watched "The Abominable Dr. Phibes", and "Dr. Phibes Rises Again".

rojkerr1
which is the one they have to unscrew the guy off the door and his legs are going round?

JustBrad
rojkerr1 wrote:

which is the one they have to unscrew the guy off the door and his legs are going round?

That's the sequel.

Joe Dredd
sweevo wrote:

I just discovered the 60's TV show "Gomer Pyle USMC" starring the late great Jim Nabors.

There's only one thing I can say to that:

"Well, GOOO-LLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!"

rojkerr1
ta Brad

BradPaula
Watched "Dunkirk" last night. Can't say enough about the film. Loved it. Then we watched "At the Earth's Core" with Doug McClure and Peter Cushing. Also starring Cy Grant (Hal Mellenby) and Michael Crane (Mall, the large man who carried Vila away from the Hi-Techs in Powerplay).

rojkerr1
Cy Grant was also Lieutenant Green in Scarlet.

Klenotka
I finally saw The Greatest Showman tonight. What a wonderful, cheerful musical. I am a huge Hugh Jackman fan so I was just smiling through the entire movie but not just for him. Songs were great and catchy and those dancing number were really something! I canīt wait to have this on Blu-Ray.
Donīt be Lasagne

BradPaula
Klenotka wrote:

I finally saw The Greatest Showman tonight. What a wonderful, cheerful musical. I am a huge Hugh Jackman fan so I was just smiling through the entire movie but not just for him. Songs were great and catchy and those dancing number were really something! I canīt wait to have this on Blu-Ray.

I may have mentioned this to you before, Klenotka, but have you seen the version of Barnum with Michael Crawford? Amazing. Much as I love Hugh Jackman, Crawford is my favorite. But I do intend seeing The Greatest Showman soon and I'm a fan of Hugh's so it's all good.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.58 seconds
10,512,126 unique visits since 8th January 2014