Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 11

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Ven Jarvik
Rodney
What a fascinating guest character. He seems like a sexist brute when we first encounter him, yet he turns out to have complex layers to him. Is his speech to Servalan one of the best in the series, as he argues for mankind over machinery?
“I’m a human being, and so are you. But when was the last time you felt the warmth of the sun on your naked back? Or lifted your face to the heavens and laughed with the joy of being alive? How long since you wept at the death of a friend? It doesn’t mean a thing to you, does it, Madame President? You’ve surrounded yourself with machines and weapons; mindless men and heartless mutoids. And when they’ve done your work and the machines have done your thinking, what is there left in you that feels?”
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

trevor travis
I sometimes wonder if Jarvik should have been kept and replaced Travis as a semi-regular.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

I sometimes wonder if Jarvik should have been kept and replaced Travis as a semi-regular.

That would have been good!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

trevor travis
Rodney wrote:

What a fascinating guest character. He seems like a sexist brute when we first encounter him, yet he turns out to have complex layers to him. Is his speech to Servalan one of the best in the series, as he argues for mankind over machinery?
“I’m a human being, and so are you. But when was the last time you felt the warmth of the sun on your naked back? Or lifted your face to the heavens and laughed with the joy of being alive? How long since you wept at the death of a friend? It doesn’t mean a thing to you, does it, Madame President? You’ve surrounded yourself with machines and weapons; mindless men and heartless mutoids. And when they’ve done your work and the machines have done your thinking, what is there left in you that feels?”

Jarvik is certainly far more complex than first seems. I think that's part of the appeal to Servalan - he's a man who is not only a "primitive" but also capable of independent thought. She's bored by her 'yes' men, and also realises someone agreeing with her 100% of the time is of no value to her. Jarvik will actually challenge her, although of course she remains in charge the whole time.

It's a shame Jarvik's default is to revert to macho posturing, because this goes a long way to getting him killed.

President Solvite
Yes indeed if he could have promised to do a swift oil change on her fleet of Pursuit Ships things would have worked out so much better! Grin

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Travisina
Time Test:

Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

winnie-l
Travisina wrote:
Time Test:
Well that was suitably cryptic!!

There's some good (gen) Jarvik B7 fic out there: http://seis.bris....ounter.txt
It covers Tarrant's previous meeting with Bayban the Butcher too!

Travisina
winnie-l wrote:

Travisina wrote:
Time Test:
Well that was suitably cryptic!!

Sorry, winnie-l (and any other bemused readers)!
Regular rewatch participants are aware that the website servers have a tendency to mis-time posts, and replies to posts can appear before the posts they're replying to. I was doing a time check on a number of different threads to see if I was adrift on all of them - ie, if the issue related to the person or the thread.

Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

JustBrad
VJ lived by his own personal code of honor, and therefore would not have remained with Servalan for very long. Is he sexist? "Woman, you are beautiful," may be a statement of fact when spoken to the lovely JP. It is intended as a compliment, but unless it is followed up by other observations re her intelligence, wit, ambition, or other qualities, merely objectifies her, and that is always sexist.

Jarvik was a man from another time, who did not belong in the Federation, and would never be happy there.

Grade Four Ignorant
He was intelligent enough to quote the Duke of Wellington.

I often like to imagine an alternate Season C where instead of Dayna and Tarrant, Blake and Jenna were replaced by Jarvik, Grant & Deeta.

Anniew
I seem to be out of sync here. I agreed with Avon he was Federation thug. He had the same self righteous belief in his views as Blake. And I would object strongly to any man who threw me onto a sofa although the hernia he'd have got lugging me would probably have been punishment enough. I think he's badly written, neither one thing nor another. Stands up to Servelan and then plays her silly game of proving he's a better man than Tarrant. Is he a MAN or a mouse? And if he's so keen on the sun on his back, why is he aboard a spaceship? Give me either of the Travis's any day. They have the potential for a character as complex as Avon's .
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

BradPaula
I thought the character of Jarvik was simply wonderful but was cheapened by the 'caveman beating on his chest' sort of rhetoric the author of the episode seemed to spread all over the script. He indeed had many layers and was quite sympathetic in his way- especially the chivalrous tendencies he showed in fighting Tarrant and then Dayna. Of course, he'd be dead in a week, if he had actually bonded with Servalan- wait- guess it didn't matter- he was dead by the end of the episode. Too bad I say.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

And I would object strongly to any man who threw me onto a sofa although the hernia he'd have got lugging me would probably have been punishment enough.

Isn't the whole point that Servalan is control the whole time, though. Jarvik amuses her. And the fact he manages to actually take the Liberator (something Travis failed to do on countless occasions) is a bonus.

And it's a bit rich for Avon to describe anyone else as a thug, given his violent attitude towards women.

Anniew
Trevor wrote " isn't it the point that Servalan is in control the whole time"
I suppose ultimately it is her ship and her guards. But they were alone and so he could easily have hurt her at that time. However she does seem to enjoy the rough treatment. I think I agree with Brad that the character as created had potential but this was sacrificed to plot ideas so the whole doesn't make sense. I mean taking the crews's bracelets would condemn them to a horrific death on Kairos so chivalry to Dayna is a bit sick when you think about it and not in the least 'noble'. Also Jarvik's acceptance of Federation brutality makes him a bit suspect. You'd expect someone noble in the military to have been disgusted by Travis's civilian atrocities!

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:
Also Jarvik's acceptance of Federation brutality makes him a bit suspect. You'd expect someone noble in the military to have been disgusted by Travis's civilian atrocities!

Well he did resign his command to become a construction worker.

Anniew
Good point but why is he on Servalan's ship? Why has she got a construction worker in the hold? Did I miss something?

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

Good point but why is he on Servalan's ship? Why has she got a construction worker in the hold? Did I miss something?

Servalan is actually on Space Command HQ when she has the following conversation:

DASTOR But if only for the sake of your position, your esteem.
SERVALAN My _what_?
DASTOR They're talking below decks, madam. I wouldn't repeat it, but...
SERVALAN You will repeat it.
DASTOR Oh, it's all foolishness, of course, but...
SERVALAN Go on.
DASTOR They...they say you're afraid of Tarrant. Well, afraid to attack, that is. But of course nobody who knows you would ever...
SERVALAN Who says so?
DASTOR Chiefly it's -- one man; a worker from the construction grades.
SERVALAN [Amused] An artisan?
DASTOR He says -- he says any fool with three pursuit ships could take the Liberator.
SERVALAN Oh, he does? And what is the name of this construction worker whose tactical knowledge far surpasses that of my battle-tested veteran starship captains?
DASTOR They call him Jarvik.
SERVALAN Jarvik.
INTERC. [V.O.] Interceptor Leader to Control. Request instructions!
SERVALAN Hold position, Interceptor Leader, and wait for instructions from Assault Leader One. We will attack when the Liberator breaks out of Alpha Sector. Four should do it nicely. Well, Dastor, I think it's time we had a little strategic counsel. Bring this -- Jarvik to me.

Therefore, it would appear Jarvik is doing a construction job on Space Command HQ, when Servalan calls for him.

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

Therefore, it would appear Jarvik is doing a construction job on Space Command HQ, when Servalan calls for him.

Not necessarily. In the modern day, naval vessels often put to sea with civilian contractors on board, provided said contractors pass a background check. Since VJ is an ex Fed officer, presumably he would pass and be allowed on board. USS Yorktown had civilian contractors on board repairing damage from a previous battle when she faced the Japanese Imperial Fleet at Midway.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,179,053 unique visits since 8th January 2014