Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 918
· Newest Rebel: CarolinaJones

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Did Blake's 7 ever "Jump The Shark"?
Yes, it jumped after people other than Terry Nation started writing scripts Yes, it jumped after people other than Terry Nation started writing scripts 0%[0 Votes]
Yes, it jumped after Gan was killed Yes, it jumped after Gan was killed 0%[0 Votes]
Yes, it jumped after Blake & Jenna left Yes, it jumped after Blake & Jenna left 0%[0 Votes]
Yes, it jumped when goofy Tarrant came onboard Yes, it jumped when goofy Tarrant came onboard 0%[0 Votes]
Yes, it jumped after the Liberator was destroyed Yes, it jumped after the Liberator was destroyed 12%[2 Votes]
Yes, it jumped when Servalan became Sleer Yes, it jumped when Servalan became Sleer 0%[0 Votes]
Yes, it jumped when Avon started laughing manically and tried to throw Vila off the shuttle Yes, it jumped when Avon started laughing manically and tried to throw Vila off the shuttle 12%[2 Votes]
Yes, but it jumped at a point not yet specified (please specify) Yes, but it jumped at a point not yet specified (please specify) 0%[0 Votes]
No, it never jumped No, it never jumped 76%[13 Votes]
Total Votes : 17
 Print Thread
Are you a Loyalist or a Jumper?
trevor travis
In your opinion, did Blake's 7 ever "Jump The Shark"?

http://en.wikiped..._the_shark

trevor travis
I'm going for: "No, it never jumped".

IMO the qualify of B7 never significantly decreased. The run of episodes from "Sand" to "Blake" is just as strong as elsewhere.

There's just a couple of episode I don't like in the entire run (one with Mummy Travis and one with the Jimmy Savile of the second calendar). But there's never what I would regard as a sustained decrease in quality.

Frankymole
Haha! Nice thread idea.

It flirted with the idea of jumping, around Traitor, but recovered at the start of Stardrive (and definitely by the end of that episode - what an ending! Dr Plaxton's fate and Avon's reaction to it being total classic Avon and a good indicator of what the stakes were for Blake if he ever reared his handsome head again).

Ben Steed's episodes were so far over the shark they were on Neptune, but aside from the odd costume blip (June Hudson, have you ever known shame?) the rest of the series varied from enormously enjoyable to so-wrong-it's-right, or often both. And never less than intriguing story telling. Most TV shows could learn a lot from Chris Boucher's script control.

trevor travis wrote:
one with the Jimmy Savile of the second calendar).
Who dat den? I mean, the wigs in Terminal are bad, but...

Spaceship Dispatcher
s4 is imo more hit and miss than previous series, in both writing and design work, but I don't think there was ever an overall loss of quality or a point where the show lost credibility. I'm not a fan of s4 mostly because the majority of things I like about s1-3 are missing, and the only elements left that I would tune in for especially are Paul and Michael as actors. But as for jumping the shark, no I don't think that ever happened.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

meegat39
It definitely didn't jump, although the tone changed considerably.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

trevor travis
Frankymole wrote:
trevor travis wrote:
one with the Jimmy Savile of the second calendar).
Who dat den? I mean, the wigs in Terminal are bad, but...

The guy who groomed Dayna when she was 12. Shock

JustBrad
I vote no. While there are some iffy moments, these are isolated, and the show quickly overcomes them. B7 never stopped taking itself seriously. The last few episodes of the series, Sand, Gold, Orbit, Warlord, Blake, are about as far from Shark Jumping as you can get, more like jumping into the sharks jaws rather than jumping over.

Anniew
No, though I will probably regret to my dying day we never saw Avon jump a shark. There were absurdities in all seasons and points when even a devoted fan like me had to ask 'Really?'. The philosophical flea stretched my credulity. Cally's possession AGAIN . Jenna's high heeled heroics! Servalan's miraculous escapes and reinvention as Slear. Blake as an episode leaves more questions than it answers. But each episode had such gusto and always left me rooting for, feeling for, screaming at the characters and loving the dialogue. If an episode had a point to make it did so subtly, unlike Star Trek that yelled its message, underlined it, served it to you on toast in case you didn't get it. And Blakes 7 never suffered from the sin of seriousness, never believed its own myths and had that dreadful solemnity that often occurs when people write or speak about other shows - you know as if they're in church. I can watch it today with the same enjoyment I did when it was first televised. Loyalist!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

President Solvite
Granted the theme is a bit tongue in cheek but the options in offer are not mutally exclusive! Ie. You can have a state of decline significant or otherwise without an excessive use of gimmicks.

I have voted No, (it was a best fit answer!)

IMO it is akin to a state of steady coast erosion..

The odd year the Environment Agency makes a little headway.. But in the most part nature and entropy prevail!

In my opinion Season D definitely suffers from the pressure of time (lack of) and too many new writers who failed to engage IMO the spirit of the original series. Season C less so, and can be balanced by such iconic episodes (Aftermath, Powerplay, Rumours, City and Deathwatch)

What we had was fun enough, but it lacks the pervasive sinister undertones of earlier themes which I think is a shame. But it still easily holds its own over much more expensive American counterparts of the time like Buck Rogers and the Original Battlestar Galactica. Although the latter also suffered from a similar lack of time to get some decent scripts and stories written and edited.

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
trevor travis
President Solvite wrote:
What we had was fun enough, but it lacks the pervasive sinister undertones of earlier themes which I think is a shame. But it still easily holds its own over much more expensive American counterparts of the time like Buck Rogers and the Original Battlestar Galactica. Although the latter also suffered from a similar lack of time to get some decent scripts and stories written and edited.

IMO Buck Rogers definitely jumped the shark with the first episode of its second season, when Dr Huer disappeared, and it became a surrogate Star Trek
Edited by trevor travis on 15 February 2015 18:43:32

President Solvite
And nowhere near as good..

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
trevor travis
President Solvite wrote:

And nowhere near as good..

Star Trek: The Original Series never jumped the shark because it was rubbish all along Wink

Been mulling over some other series:
Doctor Who - never did, but came extremely close at times, such as the introductions of Bonnie Langford & Sylvester McCoy.
Survivors - some major format changes, but never quite Jumped The Shark (although I'm tempted to say it did in "Long Live The King", the penultimate episode)
Torchwood - jumped the shark with Miracle Day
The Prisoner - jumped the shark in Once Upon A Time (episode 16 of 17)
Red Dwarf - never jumped the shark
Sapphire & Steel - never jumped the shark
Avengers - jumped the shark halfway through the second season of The New Avengers, when they let the French & Canadian TV partners have their say.
Buffy The Vampire Slayer - never Jumped The Shark, although it flirted a couple of times with the shark, especially the decision to resurrect the main character after she was killed.
Dallas - somehow survived Jumping The Shark when Pam found Bobby in the shower, but Pam's car accident was the Shark Jumping moment. Cool last episode 4 years later, though - a reverse "It's A Wonderful Life".
Blackadder - never jumped The Shark

Anniew
It is scary Trevor how much I agree with this. Except potentially the character of Spock was amazing. It just took its myth too seriously. Torchwood was so over the shark it became Jaws 1V.
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

trevor travis
Anniew wrote:

It is scary Trevor how much I agree with this. Except potentially the character of Spock was amazing. It just took its myth too seriously. Torchwood was so over the shark it became Jaws 1V.

Torchwood: Miracle Day was just hideous. It seems to have killed off the series stone dead.

I was never into original Trek. I think it was repeated on BBC2 in the early eighties, just after I'd got into B7 and DW and even the old Flash Gordon serials. But I just couldn't get into Trek - it just lacked something.

Tried again with the mid-90s repeat - but apart from the odd episode, I still didn't like it. Just found it pompous and preachy. Spock is quite an interesting character, but most of the other characters are boring. Especially Kirk.

I do like a few of the films: the even numbered ones. The Wrath Of Kahn is particularly good.

Next Gen was a lot better, but also somewhat clinical. The early Borg episodes are a little bit awesome. "Best Of Both Worlds" is Next Gen at its best, even though the cliff-hanger is such a blatant rip-off of the ending of "Star One" Wink

trevor travis
Star Wars.

Jumped the shark with The Phantom Menace and Jar Jar Binks Grin

Hope it jumps back with the forthcoming film, because the original Star Wars film from 1977 was iconic and brilliant, and the whole of the original trilogy rocks.

JustBrad
trevor travis wrote:

Star Wars.

Earlier with that, jumped when they substituted Ewoks for Wookies.

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Torchwood: Miracle Day was just hideous. It seems to have killed off the series stone dead.

The end of Torchwood had nothing to do with Miracle Day, even if it wasn't great; writing of the next series never happened because of the illness that struck RTD's partner, forcing a relocation back to the UK. The interest had grown cold by the time he was available to pick it up again, and he has been busy on other work.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

Avengers - jumped the shark halfway through the second season of The New Avengers, when they let the French & Canadian TV partners have their say.

Not really Shark Jumping, as that usually involves creative decisions that take a show away from it's core principles. The change to filming in Canada was purely financial, and the episodes made over there were actually a lot more like Tara King episodes than the UK based ones filmed before them...

BradPaula
I think I'd have to vote no, but Servalan becoming Sleer may have got close.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

trevor travis
JustBrad wrote:

trevor travis wrote:

Star Wars.

Earlier with that, jumped when they substituted Ewoks for Wookies.

But a few minutes after that, there's the scene between Luke, Darth Vader and the Emperor, which I find enthralling.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,485,997 unique visits since 8th January 2014