Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 7

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Are you a Loyalist or a Jumper?
Spaceship Dispatcher
trevor travis wrote:

President Solvite wrote:
Buck Rogers on the other hand DOES have a serious cringe factor (hence the original reason bringing Trek up which is what BRi25C was trying to be allegedly)

Not sure if I’d agree with that. The first season of BR25C is actually rather good. A bit cheesy yes, but cringeworthy? Not at all really. It’s just great fun to watch.

The second season is just awful in any case.

I don't see anything cringe-worthy in either series of Buck Rogers! The first series is well set-up, lots of fun, glamorous, a good example that US television can do subtle humour and 'in jokes' when they turn their minds to it, has a cast that are very easy to watch, and a nice line in the homage and parody of other genres. The second series suffered from the show runners listening to the actors, who all wanted to improve their careers by appearing in serious mainstream science fiction rather than a fun space fantasy. It didn't work. But for what it is rather than what it is not, the same point PS as you're making for Star Trek, the first series really is exceptionally good.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Anniew
We can't seem to agree about the Sci Fi we all rate ( we haven't even STARTED on Babylon 5) so what is it we Blakes7 fans have in common? A love of dystopian fiction? A passion for Avon? Revisiting the trauma of its end? Or is it that the show is so diverse that it can appeal to widely different tastes? ( if you've covered this point ad nauseam please ignore!).

BUT please can you explain the Derek references? I assumed they referred to Season 4 and referenced Pete and Dud ( it's a bit Clive and Derek) but it seems to refer to season 3 in Hugbot's latest post. I am probably being thick but I don't get it and can't trawl through all the earlier posts in order to find out. I have to leave SOME time to wash!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Anniew wrote:

We can't seem to agree about the Sci Fi we all rate...

Ah, you've noticed that Grin

...what is it we Blakes7 fans have in common? A love of dystopian fiction? A passion for Avon? Revisiting the trauma of its end? Or is it that the show is so diverse that it can appeal to widely different tastes?

Dystopian fiction? Yes, up to a point. I like stories of love and hope against the odds in dystopian settings. Passion for Avon? Well, he's my favourite character anyway. The ending? No. No. No. A hundred times over, no. See point one above for why I think the last episode was a 'cheap shock' tactic imo of no dramatic merit. The variety in the show, from one episode to the next, is definitely one of its major strengths and one reason why we're all here.

I'll leave explaining Derek to TT... Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Anniew
Mr Dispatcher ' Ah you've noticed that'. Yep. i can tell a hawk from a handsaw on a good day!

trevor travis
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Ah yes, basically it came out of the ongoing discussion as to whether the four seasons of B7 are 1, 2, 3 and 4, or A, B, C and D.

Officially they are the latter, and it became more trendy to call them A-D after Big Finish started doing so (I think I was one of minority who called them A-D all along, as per the B7 Programme Guide, the show’s bible).

We’d had a discussion on this just before a rewatch. Then during the rewatch, I posted comparing something between seasons B & D (can’t remember what), but with tongue-in-cheek, I called them “Barney” and “Derek”.

It caught on, and by the end of that rewatch the other two seasons also had names, “Albert” and “Colin”. And they’ve stuck ever since.

Albert
Barney
Colin
Derek

Anniew
Good names.

Season 1 Serious/ politically aware - like Prince Albert - with some absurd metaphorical moustaches.

Season 2. A madcap chase after a political ideal . Travis the Barney Rubble of the show. ' Crimmos - yabba dabba!

Season 3 ooh Colin. The Warner leisure idea of a good time! Tinsel, glamour, a bit of kissing, songs and dances.

Season 4 Derek. Ricky Gervais leads the crew into deadly danger as he hatches one crazy scheme after another.

Ellen York
Anniew wrote:

We can't seem to agree about the Sci Fi we all rate ( we haven't even STARTED on Babylon 5) so what is it we Blakes7 fans have in common? A love of dystopian fiction? A passion for Avon? Revisiting the trauma of its end? Or is it that the show is so diverse that it can appeal to widely different tastes? ( if you've covered this point ad nauseam please ignore!).

I'm sure the diversity plays into it; there is something for most tastes. The dystopia/realism is also a factor. Life isn't always (or even mostly) happy/shiny and I think most of us have a preference for fiction that reflects that. For me the major factor is how human the characters are. The good guys can be jerks and the bad guys can be surprisingly sympathetic characters. I've seen an icon that is a black and white shot of Blake with the text "no black of white only shades of grey". I think that is an apt summary of the series. And I can see some of myself in all the original Libby crew, though that is a scary thought for some of them Wink

Gauda Cheese
NEVER!
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

sweevo
trevor travis wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Ah yes, basically it came out of the ongoing discussion as to whether the four seasons of B7 are 1, 2, 3 and 4, or A, B, C and D.

Officially they are the latter, and it became more trendy to call them A-D after Big Finish started doing so (I think I was one of minority who called them A-D all along, as per the B7 Programme Guide, the show’s bible).

We’d had a discussion on this just before a rewatch. Then during the rewatch, I posted comparing something between seasons B & D (can’t remember what), but with tongue-in-cheek, I called them “Barney” and “Derek”.

It caught on, and by the end of that rewatch the other two seasons also had names, “Albert” and “Colin”. And they’ve stuck ever since.

Albert
Barney
Colin
Derek

I tend to refer to them by their Greek letters (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta), which would also keep in line with B7's citizenship grades.

trevor travis
sweevo wrote:I tend to refer to them by their Greek letters (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta), which would also keep in line with B7's citizenship grades.

Interesting way to refer to the seasons.

But if I recall correctly, we only ever have references to three grades - Alpha, Beta and Delta. We never hear of a Gamma grade.

sweevo
It's safe to assume there is one (I like to think Gan is a Gamma). In all seriousness, though, I'm neither Loyalist nor Jumper.

Joe Dredd
Anniew wrote:

I can tell a hawk from a handsaw on a good day!

I'm reminded of a story from an old zine - "Rontane and Bercol Are Dead".

Space Chopper
Loyalist all the way. B7 maintained a consistent arc, and the ending was inevitable, and everything made sense with the internal logic of that created universe.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.34 seconds
9,174,741 unique visits since 8th January 2014