Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 8

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 923
· Newest Rebel: Jon Crockford

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
February Fanfic Challenge
Hugbot
February is only one week old, and there are already so many brilliant contributions! This is a bit like the advent calendar - great new entries on a regular basis! It’s a bit late for me to start commenting, but if I waited any longer, it would become even more difficult.

@ SD: In January I wondered how you planned to cope with future challenges that involve Colin/Derek personnel, but I see now that you already prepared for the appearance of Soolin. Really clever! What I liked most about this episode of your ‘convoluted tale’ is that despite its rather tongue-in-cheek nature, you even managed to smuggle in some serious thoughts from the freedom-fighter-vs.-terrorist thread.

@ Anniew: Another intense look into the minds of our heroes, as in ‘Avon’s smile’. I like this particular style of writing, although I can understand why you want to vary it: It is very exhaustive to write in this way. And you have already tried different ways. I know what you mean with ‘cheating’, but if anyone ever cheated on a word prompt, it was me. In primary school we were asked to write a little story that should include half a dozen given words. One of it was ‘steamer’. Well, all my fellow pupils wrote stories about a steam ship, but I always hated doing the obvious. I came up with something completely different, and at one point of the story, the protagonist says that someone else is on the wrong track - using an idiomatic expression that literally translates to ‘you are on the wrong steamer.’ Suffice to say that this gave rise to much laughter when I read the story in class. My teacher shook an admonishing finger at me for bending the rules, but nonetheless smiled approvingly. But seriously, I like the use of the cliff as a metaphor and leitmotiv of your story. With this you did add something new!

@ Travisina: A wonderful little insight into Vila’s mind during those disturbing moments! His line about destroying some planets as target practice so that he could get his guard of scantily clad virgins always seemed rather callous to me. I’m glad you redeemed him by revealing what he himself thought about that in hindsight.

@ Brad: A clever story, I really enjoyed that. Good to see someone picking up the loose threads, i. e. the fate of people who knew Servalan before she became Sleer. And of course you can’t get rid of a puppeteer so easily!

@ Joe: Miserable, ghastly and relentless ... in other words, proper B7 style! Gruesome but brilliant. I like to read background stories about how they had become what they were. I only wish you had not given the alternative ending. It sort of weakens the impact of a great story.

@ Lurena & LittleSue: Great that we now at last get to see the wardrobe room aboard the Liberator! I loved the idea that they cannot only choose from ready-made costumes but instead design their own. Oh, and don’t worry about your English teachers: A university professor once told Harlan Ellison that he had not the slightest talent to write! So what?

@ TT: Being not a DW enthusiast, I fear I did not get all the in-jokes ... but nonetheless I could enjoy the wonderfully surreal image of the red bus suddenly appearing on a desert planet. Hilarious!

@ Peladon: Wow, what a disturbing, effective and very gripping nightmare imagery!

@ PC: A wonderful device to give insight into our heroes. Don’t worry about the title, it is perfect. Granted, it is a dead giveaway, but it does not spoil the story but only shifts the focus. We now don’t concentrate on solving the puzzle but on watching the reactions of our heroes.

@ Paula: Aww, what a nice idea to look back at the series in this way. This reminded me a bit of the superstition that we allegedly see our lifes flash before our eyes when we die (I wonder who ever experienced that and was still able to tell others?). You made the whole of B7 flash before our eyes after they all died on GP.

Hugbot
The Red Room

Deep in the maze of corridors aboard the Liberator there was a door that they had never managed to open. Even Vila could not do it. Maybe he was not afraid enough ... or maybe he was too afraid of what might lurk behind it. Zen was no help either. Well, you know his usual sermon about wisdom that must be gathered etc.

In contrast to its door brethren this one was not steel-grey, but painted in a bright red colour, thus signalling importance. Or did it mean danger?

When Avon passed by the red door he realised that it stood ajar. Warm, pulsating red light flashed out of the small gap. Avon froze in alarm. Just a week ago the System had temporarily recaptured the ship. Only they could have opened the door. What for? To unleash some nemesis on the people who had ... acquired the ship?

No, that was unlikely. If this were true, they would already be dead now or again in captivity on Space World. This was not a threat, but maybe an opportunity. Whatever the System stored in that room might help him to pursue his own way ... without the need to follow Blake’s follies.

He opened the door and crossed the threshold. The room on the other side was of oval shape, bathed in the pulsating red light - and completely empty. Slowly Avon walked to the centre of the room. If there was anything of importance here, he would find it in the middle. But even there he saw nothing but emptiness. He looked around, becoming more puzzled with every moment and every new glimpse of nothing. The dim lighting reminded him of something that he had read when he studied ancient Earth technology: a darkroom where they used to develop the earliest forms of photographs.

"So you have found it at last?"

Avon whirled around, looking at Blake who leaned in the doorway, an expression of barely hidden amusement on his face.

"What do you mean, at last?" Avon snapped.

"We have all been in this room," Blake explained, "Cally was the first one. I think it has something to do with her telepathy. It was as if the room beckoned her to come."

Avon went to the attack: "Am I to understand that you already figured out what this is all about?"

Blake walked casually towards him. "In a way, yes," he answered, "at least we know why we could not open it. It is just because we don’t need it. It is essential for the inhabitants of the System with all their computer-controlled life. Once in a while they need to shut off the permanent whisper of their machines and retreat to their original consciousness. They need to relax their minds. Even the highly sophisticated computer-integrated society of the System has to loosen its mechanical grip on their souls from time to time so that its cititzens don’t loose themselves in a maze of data and go barking mad." He gave Avon a disarming smile. "You should know that better than anyone else," he added.

Avon did not answer to that. "They just walk into this room and stare into a red void?" he mocked to provoke further explanation from Blake who seemed to love his new role als all-knowing expert on Liberator’s hidden technology.

"We don’t know yet how it works on them,“ Blake admitted, „but we know what it does to us. The red light has something to do with it. Maybe it is a reminiscence of what we see and feel in our mother’s womb. In any case, it conjures up images from the subconscious."

A darkroom, Avon thought, it is indeed a darkroom where we develop pictures. The pictures of things we have buried in the deepest strata of our mind. He shivered.

"The room shows you what lies at the inner core of your soul," Blake added.

"There is no such thing as a soul," Avon retorted.

"Try it."

Avon did not want to, but he felt a sort of self-destructive curiosity. The inner core of his soul? What would he find there? What were his ultimate motifs, his ultimate objectives?

"Close your eyes and see for yourself."

Avon closed his eyes. The pulsating red light did not vanish but flushed the world all round him. It whirled and flowed like a ruby liquid. A sea of blood? Or was it just the sensation that you experience when light shines through your closed eyelids? Then slowly a blurred shape appeared beyond the velvet-like red liquid curtain. A familiar shape. A woman.

The liquid was no blood, as he realised now, but wine. He looked at the woman through a glass of wine. Now he slowly lowered the glass and recognised her face. A seductive smile was on her lips, a longing gaze in her eyes.

"What do you see?"

Anna.

"Circuits," he said, "the circuitry of the human brain. We are not so different from computers as idealistic fools like you want to believe. I can see what makes us tick. Electricity and chemicals. That is all."

Her face got blurred again. Then it transformed into another very familiar face. Cally.

"And I can see the circuitry of society," he continued, "it doesn’t run on electricity, but not on ideals either. But on money and power."

He opened his eyes and confronted Blake again. "It would be better for us all if you could see it as well."

But Blake only smirked. "I knew you would say something like that."

"Of course you did. You know me well enough. I am a realist."

Blake shook his head. "That’s not what I meant," he sighed, "I knew that you would lie."

He turned around to walk out of the door, but then he stopped and looked again at Avon. An ironic smile occured on his face.

"After all, we all lied about what we had seen in this room."

Anniew
Well Hugbot, you're very well named because your kind words feel like being hugged.
What a brilliant idea - a soul room. Fascinating to know what Blake, Jenna, Tarrant ( for heaven's sake) might see there and how typical of Avon to deny he saw anything. Encouraging words and a great story.

Made my day that has!
Just because I can't sing doesn't mean I won't.

JustBrad
Hugbot. Interesting story which begs the question, 'How does Blake know every one lied?'

Perhaps, because he is Blake, and because he felt compelled to lie, he assumes that everyone else lied. Or perhaps he is not Blake, but part of the illusion.

That's what good sci fi writing does. It makes you ask questions and search for answers after the last word has been read.

purplecleric
@ Hugbot - your story provides much food for thought. I found myself thinking about it all day, not just what the rest of the crew might have seen in that room, but what I might see if I ventured in there... Great job!

Lurena
Hugbot, what an intriguing story! It's all about trust, isn't it?
That sets me thinking various thoughts:

Blake says everyone lied about what they had seen of the inner core of their souls.
How did he know?
Did the others confess?

Why was he so eager to hear what Avon saw? Was he testing Avon's integrety?
Was it to make Avon see his own self-image?
Blake: I have always trusted you, from the very beginning. (Star One)

Did Avon lie when he said he saw Anna?

I think it could be interesting if Avon had seen Blake too. That would have brought a lot of confusion for both characters who inevitably must have touched each other's soul (positive and negative) during their forced life together and their sparring. (saving each other, working in danger, doing stupid things)

What prove does Blake have to be sure Avon lied?
(oh, I feel a topic coming up...)
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Hugbot
Thank you all for your kind and interesting comments!

JustBrad wrote:

Or perhaps he is not Blake, but part of the illusion.

Now that is an intriguing interpretation! I had never thought of this (my own explanation was more along the lines of your first option), but it is a really great idea. Many years ago I interpreted the story of a friend in a way that he had never anticipated, and he said: "Well, I haven’t thought of that, but I can’t deny that it’s in there." One of my teachers used to talk about the ‘multi-interpretability’ of a piece of art (which became some sort of catchphrase among me and my friends when we were discussing literature).

Lurena wrote:

It's all about trust, isn't it?

The story seems to be a red room itself. It is about what you think it is about. Again, I didn’t think of trust as the main topic, but it is in there.

Did Avon lie when he said he saw Anna?

He did not say that. I just hope I did not mess up the quotation marks (the usage is slightly different in German and English, so maybe there is a source of misunderstanding).

Why was he so eager to hear what Avon saw? Was he testing Avon's integrety?
Was it to make Avon see his own self-image?
What prove does Blake have to be sure Avon lied?

Your guess is as good as mine. Or maybe even better (see above)! I have my own ideas about this, but my answers are not necessarily authoritative. In my teenage and twen days I was notorious for explicitly explaining each and every detail in my stories, sometimes even repeatedly. Maybe the most important thing about writing that I have learned in the last 30 years is that raising questions is far more interesting than giving answers.

purplecleric wrote:

I found myself thinking about it all day, not just what the rest of the crew might have seen in that room, but what I might see if I ventured in there.

Great. That is the best thing that any author can hope for!

Anniew
Hugbot: I thought Avon was denying sentiment and wishing Blake would do the same. The very sentiment he longed for ( his ultimate goal) And Blake knew that they would lie to each other because they didn't trust each other enough to share such an exposing secret. Who was it who said, your soul is the person you are when you're alone? It's an idea I find uncomfortable ( if not actually terrifying).

Purple Cleric: did you come up with any ideas about what the others would see?

purplecleric
Anniew wrote:

Purple Cleric: did you come up with any ideas about what the others would see?

Plenty - and the idea is still mulling about - it kinda begs for a follow up fic...

@Hugbot - Do I have your permission to write a follow-up to the Red Room? Or have you one planned already?

Hugbot
purplecleric wrote:

@Hugbot - Do I have your permission to write a follow-up to the Red Room? Or have you one planned already?

By all means, fire away! I'm honoured!

littlesue
Hugbot wrote:

purplecleric wrote:

By all means, fire away! I'm honoured!

Crumbs....now you've opened Pandora's Box!

And Hugbut, I meant to say that considering that English is not your first language you wrote a beautiful story.
@TT...your Soolin back story was marvellous. No wonder Avon keeps in her good books. Angry
Cold.....you don't know the meaning of cold.
Cold is when you have ice on the INSIDE of the window!!!

sues stories http://sjlittle.w...
sues youtube channel http://www.youtub...e54/videos
sues book shelf https://www.media...ne%20Shelf
rebel run video http://www.youtub...prqS-XZtLo
Lara and Sue's Stories http://lectorisal....webs.com/

Joe Dredd
purplecleric wrote:

@Hugbot - Do I have your permission to write a follow-up to the Red Room?

GT visits the Green Room?

Travisina
littlesue wrote:

And Hugbut...

littlesue, that's a wonderful typo! Grin
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

littlesue
Travisina wrote:

littlesue wrote:

And Hugbut...

littlesue, that's a wonderful typo! Grin

Well, it was early this morning!!!

Hugbot
littlesue wrote:

@TT...your Soolin back story was marvellous.

The story is by JD, isn't it? But I can see why you associate TT with a story about Soolin's ... back.

littlesue
Hugbot wrote:

littlesue wrote:

@TT...your Soolin back story was marvellous.

The story is by JD, isn't it? But I can see why you associate TT with a story about Soolin's ... back.

Oops...yes, I meant JD...TT's Big Red Bus suddenly had me singing 'We're All Going on a Summer Holiday"...for some reasonGrin
It's amazing how one word can conjure so many ideas...and the fact that a certain TT was mentioning a certain blonde gunslinger last night during Headhunter, may explain the slight confusion...and it was early in the morning!!

Anniew
Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

Tomatoes are a fruit not a vegetable Blake. Ask Orac if you don't believe me.

Whichever Avon, the Delta poor of Earth are denied access to them. In the name of the revolution I must ensure that tomatoes are freely available to all. I have arranged for the consignment we have stolen from Travis to be taken to Earth to be redistributed among them.

That is typical Blake that you would risk our lives for a bunch of vegetables.

Ha I thought you said they were fruits.

What are?

Tomatoes Vila. Avon claims they are fruits. Or vegetables. He doesn't seem too clear.

Tomatoes? Are they those red squashy round things we stole from Travis?

Yes. I intend to redistribute them among the Deltas.

They won't thank you Blake.

Why ever not Vila

Deltas are allergic to tomatoes.

Oh no. What are we going to do with a ton of decaying vegetables?

Decaying fruit Blake.

My people have a saying Blake. A man with a ton of tomatoes has too much on his hands to worry about how to categorise them

Shut up Cally

Lurena
*giggle* Anniew! Are you allergic to tomatoes too?
Lara&Sue's Blake's 7 stories
*No, I am not. I am not expendable, I'm not stupid, and I'm not going.*

http://lectorisalutem.webs.com/
Anniew
Lurena - not really. I was just always suscpicious of Blake's claim to know what the ' honest man' needed/ wanted!

Travisina
Anniew - thanks for reposting your tomato story here. Genius title - works on every level Grin
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.54 seconds
9,815,706 unique visits since 8th January 2014