Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
1.1 Fractures ***SPOILERS THREAD***
trevor travis
This thread includes spoilers to the above audio. If you wish to avoid spoilers, please stick to the other thread.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Thanks TT. It may be some time before this arrives, so I would like to keep with story developments Oops
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Gauda Cheese
I did enjoy this one. A fun claustrophobic story. Anyone wondering where this story is set well..... not long after Voice From the Past, Shevan is name checked and there's a couple references to the story.

All the characters get something to do and the cliffhanger at the end that sets up the rest of the mini season is very interesting.

Okay one thing that annoyed me somewhat (but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the story) was the implied relationship between Blake and Jenna. I might have believed it in series A, but in B as early as Redemption, Jenna seems way more into Avon. This is something I noticed a lot more rewatching the show with Michelle.
Edited by Gauda Cheese on 15 January 2014 22:37:10

Peter Anghelides
Starburst review: 9/10
http://www.starbu...s-blakes-7

DreamWatch review: 8/10
http://scifibulle...fractures/
Peter Anghelides
anghelides.org

Gauda Cheese
The suspense is killing me! what do y'all think of this?

Spaceship Dispatcher
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Yes, I'm keen to read what people think too. Considering the massive excitement about the release, our fellow fans are either very busy or not quite sure what to make of it...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Travisina
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

Yes, I'm keen to read what people think too. Considering the massive excitement about the release, our fellow fans are either very busy or not quite sure what to make of it...

What I think: http://www.blakes7online.com/articles.php?article_id=12
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Thanks Jackie; interesting review, makes me look forward to hearing the story for myself.

President Solvite
Travisina wrote:

Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Gauda Cheese wrote:

I've been rather busy - hopefully will check it out at the weekend!

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
Lentila
I wondered why everyone was so quiet as well. I thought perhaps I should wait a bit for more people to listen to it ... but here goes ...

SPOILERS! SPOILERS! (I know this is the Spoiler thread but ...SPOILERS below!)

I loved Fractures. Really enjoyed it. It felt like a proper episode of Blake's Seven. I was initially slightly disappointed because the synopsis suggested that there was traitor amongst the crew - and it was pretty clear that this was not the case.

However, I thought the Fractures idea was interesting and fun and a good solution for the problem of writing an audio drama for such a large cast whilst giving them all plenty of dialogue and action. There could have been more specific and cunning use of character fault-lines, and I found some behaviour a bit unlikely.

Why is Cally so willing to believe that Vila has lost his sanity? He's about the least likely character to go suddenly bonkers, it seems to me (unless something significant has happened previous to this story yet to be revealed). And I think Vila's paranoia is more about whether he's valued or wanted on the crew - so it might have been better to play on that - have him start to believe that someone is trying to persuade Blake to dump him - rather than have Blake apparently try to kill him. But I suppose it would have been hard to fit the story into an hour if the aliens had poked at the character's vulnerabilities in a more specific way. Also, I wonder why Cally didn't use her telepathy towards the end.

But these are just quibbles. The bottom line is :- I loved it. It was great. It felt like Blake's 7. Totally enjoyable, and set up an interesting story arc for the rest of the series. I know I will listen to it several times, and the cast seem really at home and settled back into their roles again.

Gauda Cheese
Travisina wrote:

Nice review. I don't think i disagree with you much or at all.

Lentila, what did you think of the implied feeling Blake has for Jenna?
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Lentila
Travisina - great review. I agree with most of what you said. I forgot to mention how lovely the cast interviews are. I like these little touches from Big Finish.

Gauda Cheese
Lentila, what did you think of the implied feeling Blake has for Jenna?

Hmmm...I don't think I mind Big Finish playing around with these sorts of ideas providing it's not too heavy-handed. In the tv series, once Terry Nation stopped writing every episode, different writers had different ideas about character relationships - so I don't mind different interpretations.

Jenna and Blake seemed closer in the first series than the second, but I can easily believe that she was very important to him, and that Blake is a man of deep feeling. But since romance seems to be off his personal agenda, it seems out of character to even hint at love for her.

I don't find it a problem though. Big Finish need to have some room to manoeuvre, I think, if we expect creativity and genuine new stories and ideas from them.

dinalt
Didn't really enjoy Fractures...........though luckily I'm in a minority.

Can't really say why I didn't enjoy it - certainly the production values were high as ever, and the cast were great.

But the storyline didn't really grip me at all - it's the first release where it was genuinely an effort to listen to the end.
Maybe it was bringing out the 'fractures' too much. If the story had been set early on in the first season I might have bought into it..............but not that level of pure distrust in that time setting.

And the ending where it's shown there might be a threat to ORACs capabilities...........seemed a little out of place, given the series never seemed to hint at that.

But as I say, luckily I'm in a minority, and hope the majority enjoy it.

President Solvite
Just finished listening to Fractures.. And it was quite good, I actually enjoyed it, although the whole premise of anyone being a traitor is a no no in my view from the start. Thought I'd share my initial impressions..

Elements of Duel (the Travis strategy again) and to fans of the Space 1999 episode 'Dragon's Domain' ie. Alien menace resident in the ship graveyard some aspects of this episode are quite familiar. These were the elements I was thinking of on my initial listen, before we got to the main element of the plot with systemic failure and apparent betrayal. Dividing the crew up made it very claustrophobic and atmospheric in feel but since the likliehood of there being a traitor was fairly minimal in my view this experience was diminished somewhat but I must confess that it was nice hearing the actors reprise their roles once again.

I think had the 'system failure' cuplrit down fairly early on, indeed isnt it obvious? In it being either some kind of intruder hinted with the teleport sound towards the beginning, or later on being some kind of halucigenic feature like gas perhaps or a warping of space time. ie. the reason that all of these ships were here. However I later discounted the latter once more evidence presented itself in the story. (The hysterical Jenna in particular gave it away!) I much prefer full cast audios over most of the LC's (although there are a few exceptions) as you have more audio range and options. and it is nice to have something interesting to listen to and indeed have some more examples over the coming months. Indeed I found the idea of introducing an arc intriguing. As if Blake and Co. haven't got enough to do in their race with Travis and the search for Star One! Pfft

Kudos to Alaistair Lock on doing both Orac and Zen, a sterling job as always. I feel that he needs a special mention and he does PT credit. Of course the regular cast sounded great and they all had plenty of lines and it did provide that 'episodic' feel. Nice to hear Brian as Travis, hope he features in a few more.

Jenna's out of place feelings for Blake??... Can't say I noticed anything amiss. They both demonstrated a healthy sign of mutual respect which in turn proved to be the solution.. And as I write this, Fractures reminds me of the classic Trek series episode 'Day of the Dove' - Where an alien entity sets Federation and Klingon at each others throats until it gets discovered.

Fractures in summary felt fairly 'B' movie esque in mood (not necessarily a bad thing) Now I have heard it, I feel that Fractures would probably be better for a relatively new fan to listen to it, who hasn't studied and scrutinied every nuance in the B7 'verse as some of us have here. But as a 2nd attempt at a full cast audio. (the first attempt was pretty good as well!) I was impressed, without being totally blown away. But then I'm a pretty cynical 40 something computer nerd who has some occasional Avon tendancies! Grin
Edited by President Solvite on 27 January 2014 18:57:30

http://nothingsforgotten.freeforums.net/
trevor travis
I liked Fractures.

It starts off a bit unoriginal, with a plotline imported straight from "Duel", while Brian Croucher's "I'll get you Blake" rant is out of place in Season B.

But then once it really gets going, it's highly enjoyable. It becomes obvious that it's those on the communicators who aren't what they seem, but it's interesting that how the crew react. It's ironic that it needs Avon to be released from behind the door, to make the others see sense.

Nice dialogue throughout and I guessed who else Avon trusted Angry

It is interesting to have a story arc inside a story arc, I like the fact we know exactly where it's set (behind VFTP and Gambit).
Edited by trevor travis on 12 February 2014 12:32:27

Chase123
Loved the start, loved the space battle, loved the interaction. At first, I thought maybe Zen was doing all the stuff but it turned out to be yet another alien, however, the dialog, the interaction, the tension, and the music all work well together as does the cast to make this a very enjoyable listen. B7 should ALWAYS be a full cast audio. I loved it!

Gauda Cheese
Fractures

or

Yes I'm, Stuck On the Liberator With You

"He (Travis) sounds almost exactly the same!"

"Is this an alien that can mimic voices?"

"This ones really good"

I thought I would post Fractures in the Fractures thread only because of how recent it is.

Michelle and I went of a bit of a drive to the city and back which allowed me to show her this story. We paused it with about 20 mins to go when we arrived and I asked what she thought so far. Michelle found it claustrophobic and really well acted.

On the way home we finished it off and I was pleased that she laughed in the right spots and that she didn't have a problem slipping back into a Series B story since we're nearly halfway through D. Actually she really misses Cally so to get more of her was something Michelle appreciated.

Mich was delighted to hear Crouchers voice! She may not have loved his Travis, but she got a big kick out of him reprising his role as did I.

Being a huge Jenna fan, Michelle loved the beginning with Jenna out flying the Federation pursuit ships.

Another thing that got her curious was the ending, with the implication that the Federation has an Orac (or something Orac like).

When the next story comes out I may have to arrange another drive for us. I may even wait and experience it with her. I love the idea of Michelle and I experiencing some B7 for the first time.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Its fair to say the Warship set the bar very high, so did Fractures equal it? For me, the accuracy and authenticity was perfect; the episode structure, dialogue and the characters' personalities all seemed right. The sound of the episode as a production, with effects and music added, sounded just like the soundtrack of an original episode. It was the kind of story that I wish they had done more of in the tv show: using the Liberator itself and space travel as the setting and theme of the whole episode, and using the potential of the mysterious ship to the full as a narrative device. The plot of passing without choice through an area of space and encountering a strange alien phenomena, with the first half of the episode entirely focused on facing the enigmatic effects of that phenomena, before finally confronting the alien without actually answering anything much about it... was as much like a Space:1999 s1 episode as I have ever encountered while not actually watching that show! The atmosphere was brilliant, and the corridors of the ship came alive in a quite unexpectedly real and vivid way in my imagination while listening to this. The idea of the creature was very similar to a previous Big Finish audio drama in their Dr Who range, called The Fearmonger, which by strange coincidence starred Jacqueline Pearce! Lots of unreserved praise and no doubts about this one, which I give a full 10/10 for complete brilliance.

timdalton007
Though I still count myself as something of a newbie, I couldn't resist the temptation of giving this a go. I'm happy to say I hugely enjoyed it. Having heard about Travis in what I've heard to date in the Big Finish audios, it was interesting to encounter the character properly at last (or one of him anyways) and the first few minutes set the stage nicely for me as to where everything was in terms of setting.

I did figure out who/what was responsible for the events. While Spaceship Dispatcher mentioned the Doctor Who audio The Fearmonger (which now that I think of it is actually a good point), I instantly thought of another Who audio called Whispers Of Terror which was also written by Justin Richards. Had the entity remained strictly a creature of sound instead of a physical entity, I would have sworn that he'd just recycled the idea. Having said that, I'm not sure that even if that's what Richards' was doing that it was a bad thing as it served the story very well indeed.

Perhaps because this was the first in the series and therefore meant to be somewhat newbie friendly, I quite liked the fact that it really focused on the characters and the inter-relationships between them. By doing so, if you don't know the series well (as I feel I don't), I got a better grasp of the characters that built rather nicely on what I've encountered so far.

Overall, I feel it was a good start to these full cast audios. I look forward to hearing Battleground and continuing to go back and listen to the Liberator Chronicles.

timdalton007

Spaceresearcher
It was great to hear my favourite characters back again.

It's certainly a massive leap ahead of 'The Sevenfold Crown' or 'The Syndeton Experiement' that's for sure.

It's a nice intro adventure giving the fans what they want, allowing the characters to work together again and starting off with a light story to ease us into what I'm sure will be many surprises to come in the adventures to follow.

Overall I just enjoyed the drama between my heroes again. The story itself was not among the best of Blakes 7 stories but it's certainly not among the worst either.

Totally enjoyed it and am eagerly looking forward to the next installment.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.51 seconds
9,177,885 unique visits since 8th January 2014