Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 14

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 925
· Newest Rebel: uazdah

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Rewatch - Sapphire & Steel and Space:1999
BradPaula
Just completed watching "Walking Through History" with Tony Robinson. He went through Dorset and walked past Lulworth Cove and the Durdle door and I was amazed as I had been just there. Fond memories.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Koenig is my antidote to Roj Blake; someone cast adrift in space and in desperate circumstances, but who is excited by discovery and who cares deeply and genuinely about his crew.

2113 Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Panna
Found it, they spent some money on the sets.
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

Just completed watching "Walking Through History" with Tony Robinson. He went through Dorset and walked past Lulworth Cove and the Durdle door and I was amazed as I had been just there. Fond memories.

Very happy to have taken you Happy

Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

BradPaula
Panna wrote:

SD would know better, but this series was funded with big American bucks it seems. LOL

Spaceship Dispatcher
Panna wrote:

Oh yes, its amazing the difference independent studios could make by asking for overseas money in advance; unlike the BBC, who could only sell episodes after they were in the can.

Panna
Who produced this? BBC,ITV?
"You'd never get a cat to be a servant. You ever see a cat return a stick? "Hey, man! You threw the stick, you go get it yourself! I'm busy! If you wanted the stick so bad, why'd you throw it away in the first place?"

BradPaula
SD, I've probably asked you before, so please excuse me, but have you seen Babylon 5? It has a 5 year story arc and is very well written and acted. If you like Space:1999, I'd think you would like Bab 5.

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

SD would know better, but this series was funded with big American bucks it seems. LOL

Indeed; this show only existed at all because the American distributors hated UFO so much. This was originally a second series of that show, but the idea of a continuation was vetoed and they did it with a new cast instead. Martin and Barbara were also a contract condition, and their wages were paid I believe by the US distributors and not Gerry Anderson.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Panna wrote:

Neither - they were made by Lew Grade's group of studios under the ITC umbrella; the film industry works very differently here to the US.

BradPaula
Panna wrote:

My copy says Granada television.

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

SD, I've probably asked you before, so please excuse me, but have you seen Babylon 5? It has a 5 year story arc and is very well written and acted. If you like Space:1999, I'd think you would like Bab 5.

No I haven't - I'm not keen on 'alien' prosthetics on actors, and that show used them a lot didn't it?

Spaceship Dispatcher
BradPaula wrote:

My copy says Granada television.

That's just the modern copyright owner, since the original company that made them no longer exists.

BradPaula
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

BradPaula wrote:

No I haven't - I'm not keen on 'alien' prosthetics on actors, and that show used them a lot didn't it?

Yes, that is true, but it gave the aliens a real alien feel, if you get my drift. But it was a cut above things like the classic Star Trek, in that the aliens all didn't look exactly the same and dress the same, etc. On a similar note I'd recommend Farscape too. It has a Blake's 7 flavor to it.

Panna
So a film company made this and not a tv company? Did it air on television and if so, what station? I assume it wasn't on the BBC.
(Why didn't the BBC give it's sci fi a better budget!)

Spaceship Dispatcher
Keonig and Victor looking at the medical scans and unable to decide if Russell is alive or not reminded me of the Doctor looking at his scanners and unsure if Amy Pond was pregnant or not...

2124 Grin

BradPaula
I remember Space:1999 being shown on our local tv station, WGN, I believe. It had to have been sold to individual stations in its day. I never watched it then.

BradPaula
He's dead, Jim. And he's not even wearing a red shirt!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Panna wrote:

So a film company made this and not a tv company? Did it air on television and if so, what station? I assume it wasn't on the BBC.
(Why didn't the BBC give it's sci fi a better budget!)

In the UK in from the 1940s to the 1970s we had many privately owned film studios, and the smaller ones would sign a distribution deal with someone like Lord Lew Grade who had the time, money and influence to sell the films. Gerry Anderson owned the studio himself, but Lord Grade negotiated all his sales and had exclusive rights to do so. He would talk to other film distributors about ideas, they would say if they were interested in buying them or not. If they said yes, he would make it a condition in turn that they sponsor the films to raise the quality. In the UK, it was ITV that bought all Gerry Anderson episodes for broadcast - but they bought them as finished shows, and only a few episodes at a time due to the high price set by Lord Grade to squeeze the Americans.

Spaceship Dispatcher
I like the high angle crowd scenes we got in the Moonbase control room thanks to the size of the studios! Dr Who could only dream in those days...

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.69 seconds
9,883,543 unique visits since 8th January 2014