Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 924
· Newest Rebel: Mark Stanfa

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
14% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
7% [7 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [14 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 97
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
2.3 Mindset *spoilers*
Thetis
Just listened! Let the discussion begin.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 16 May 2015 15:49:06

Lentila
I loved it! What about you? Is this a no spoilers thread?

Spaceship Dispatcher
Lentila wrote:

I loved it! What about you? Is this a no spoilers thread?

Have added a spoiler warning to the title, so please feel free to discuss away Grin
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Travisina
I loved it too - my favourite of this series so far!
Review is here: http://www.blakes...cle_id=106
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Lentila
Much enjoyed your review, Travisina.

I thought Mindset was pretty good upon first listen - but liked it even more when I heard it again. It's obvious - even before you listen to the extras - that Sarcophagus is a huge influence. I'm actually not that keen on Sarcophagus - but I love this. Though the focus is on Cally, the others get interesting scenes, and Reno is a memorable guest character. Though he is (too conveniently?) not very likeable - his terrible predicament lingers in the mind - as does the ominous ending. A great script for Jan Chappell - and she is fantastic.

Also my favourite so far in this second audio series. The "living water" is quite horrible. Not totally convinced that turning it into steam renders it harmless, though!

Steve Rogerson
Here's my review of Mindset, the third in the second series of Blake's 7 audio plays from Big Finish:

http://wizzley.co...ig-finish/

Space Chopper
Absolutely loved this- like Travisina, this is my favourite to date. Very much reminds me of Tanith Lee's episodes, and as those are my favourites among the B7 canon, that's no bad thing.
funkyimg.com/i/2y558.jpg
Vila: "I plan to live forever- or die trying..."

BradPaula
I have absolutely loved this new batch of full cast audios so far. The weakest one if I were to choose would be Fortuitas, and that may be because I didn't find the story of the reactionary political group particularly interesting. But Mindset surprised me. I usually get easily tired of Cally and her telepathy and Auron ways, but this story really showcased Jan Chappell and the writing was top notch, so it has become a favorite of mine so far.

The actor playing Reno, Geoffrey Breton, brought just the right mix of emotions to the part and I became quite sad to hear his disembodied voice pleading with Cally at times. I read in the liner notes that the author, Jacqueline Rayner, tiried to give her story a flavor like Tannith Lee did in Sand and Sarcophagus, and I think she succeeded quite nicely. As always, the sound effects and general soundscapes are impeccable and I was happy to hear a bit on the extras by sound designer himself, Martin Montague.

The full cast audios seem to go from strength to strength in my opinion and I look forward to the rest of the batch in the months ahead. I suppose it's too late to say it, but please, Big Finish, do not under any circumstances kill of the character of Del Grant. I wouldn't be able to bear it.
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

meegat39
I also loved Mindset. Very good story and brilliantly acted. It was nice to have each actor getting a share of the story. The guest actor was also very good. I have a feeling we will hear from him again!

Best of the three in this batch so far IMO.
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Joe Dredd
Just started this one on the way home tonight and am up to track five. Thoughts so far:

This one is much better than Fortuitas.

The planet Karwen: Please tell me it's spelt "Cairchwen" or some such and they're not inventing planet names through anagrams.

Vila's missing - with Tarrant being grabbed last episode, this series is turning into "nabbed cast member of the week".

When Cally first heard from Reno I started thinking maybe something on the planet is a bit like the Sopron: Dayna comes along thinking the echo is her mother, Vila deserts the ship for a likeminded (female?) friend, and Cally 'sees' an Auronar. When Reno described the waterfall in such gushing terms, I then imagined the creature/danger/whatever as more like those singing sirens that lured sailors to their doom.

"Is there anyone down there with you?'
"No. Apart from these jewel flies of course."
That would seem to be a giveaway even without the cover picture. With my Sopron idea I thought it would be the pool of water, but this makes me think those fatal sirens will be the flying things.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Joe Dredd
Orac clears it's throat! What's that all about? An affectation?

Cally talking of spontaneous cell differentiation and identical clones made me realise that Jan Chappell could also play the character of Cally's mother, should it ever be required.

They're talking about something like the Planetarium or some such and whether the translation is accurate. So now I'm guessing that 'water of life' is a mistranslation of something like 'water has life' or 'water is alive', though presumably it can't be just a direct substitute for one word (living water?). I'd be happier if the ancient record they're sourcing the information from didn't have some Latin-y sounding name like it's a big wizardy tome or something scratched out by Galileo. It sounds all a bit 'ancient scrolls of Rassilon' to me. They could've just referred to the source as a local ancient record, translated into Terran x years ago.

JustBrad
Joe Dredd wrote:

... made me realise that Jan Chappell could also play the character of Cally's mother, should it ever be required.

Do batches of clones have mothers?

Joe Dredd
By mother I meant whoever was the donor of the original cell used to create Cally & Zelda's clone batch, just as Servalan was the originator of her brood. Servalan would have been their 'mother' in the sense they would have been her babies.

Hmm, Servalan's babies. It makes me think of Don Keller and Servalan beating his corpse. Could it be she just wanted to be a housewife and mother, but frustrated at every turn converted it to naked ambition?

(No - that's rubbish!) : D

Joe Dredd
Ah, it was living water! The living water of Karwen, because we've all seen bottles of karwenated water.

Space Chopper wrote:
Very much reminds me of Tanith Lee's episodes

Living sand, living water...

Joe Dredd
Well, that was pretty good. I liked the slightly creepy concept of the minds remaining after the bodies had long decayed. Orac wasn't quite right but a great part for Cally this time round.

Joe Dredd
I realise now I am not entirely at the end of this!

By the time I got home on Friday they'd just got everyone back to the Liberator and Avon had gone to check on Cally. I assumed that was about it when I came inside and posted the above.

I was thinking about the water in the teleport area and whether the crew would be wet - would the teleport bring up water in their clothing too? It would have to otherwise it opens up the possibility of all sorts of continuity problems, e.g. someone wounded and bleeding on the surface of the planet is reassembled on the Liberator with no blood stain on their clothing. I was expecting Avon to have worn some kind of environmental suit so the water couldn't touch him/affect him but he's wet too.

I also wondered if the ship would clean up the mess automatically somehow, rather than needing the crew to do it. Zen can't remove all foreign bodies from the Liberator otherwise you'd wake up in the morning to find you had no shoes, toothbrush, etc but could it distinguish between something that is meant to be on the ship and something that is not? Did the water come up because it was a living thing in contact with someone wearing a bracelet? If they were teleported out of the pool itself, would all the water have come up?

The main thing I was thinking about however was the references to the jewel flies and the picture on the cover. It still looks like an incredibly large insect with a human face. If the water was the danger and the voices belonged to disembodied minds, where does the flying thing on the cover come in?

I had to pop up to the shops yesterday so got to listen to a further couple of minutes. I was surprised to see I had about seven more tracks to go! Avon is talking to Cally in a very creepy manner, telling her she's beautiful and setting course for Auron, which suggests Reno has inhabited him somehow.

In a way I hope not as although it would be a happier resolution if Reno was freed or laid to rest somehow, it makes the whole thing even more like a crib from the Tanith Lee episodes. In addition to the straight-out living sand/living water idea, we also have some water on the ship (like the sand getting onto Scorpio) and now an inversion of the Sarcophagus Cally/Avon bit, again with an Avon tells-her-she's-beautiful moment.

If I was editing/running the line I would have suggested the writer added a line or two when Avon and Orac were left alone on Liberator to hint that Avon was also still searching for Blake.

Joe Dredd
Zen's called him 'Avon' again. I can't recall that happening in the series. It sounded out of place when it happened it Fortuitas, too.

Hmm, piano music under the 'muddy bones' speech, and the muttering/triumphant laughter bit I think. That's novel. It sounded a bit odd for B7!

Okay, Reno has inhabited Avon's body so now we have echoes of 'Ultraworld' with Avon's mind separated from his flesh.

I didn't guess it was a bone he was carrying (though on reflection, what else was there?) but knew why as soon as it was revealed.

Cally's using the teleport as a tumble dryer, heating the wet clothing to disperse the living water. I hope she's intending to teleport the vapour off the Liberator (I certainly wouldn't want it recondensing in the environmental systems), though of course it's got to be the teleport bay because that's where the puddle is too.

trevor travis
Listened to this for the first time on Sunday. Easily the best of the second season of audios so far. Nice Tanith Lee feel about it.

And it finally felt with a Colin story. So far most of Big Finish's Colin stories have had the wrong feel, portraying Avon as some sort of Blake replacement hero figure, which he never was.

Joe Dredd
I found this review over at scifipulse.net. Worryingly, the reviewer says (of Mindset): "Although we have seen fountain of youth stories before in other science fiction and fantasy worlds. This is the first time to my knowledge that it has been used on ‘Blake’s 7'".

Given that 'Rescue' revolves around Dorian needing to feed the crew to the cave that kept him alive and perpetually youthful, I'm sure it counts as a 'fountain of youth stor[y]'. The reviewer even mentions 'Dorian Grey' [sic] a couple of paragraphs earlier.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Another one that I really liked! The alien setting was simple and fascinating, and reminded me of episodes like The Web or Trial; the concept of the living water and coupling that with telepathy was the most interesting fantasy idea that I have come across in the full cast audios so far. The decayed corpse in the pool and Reno's possession of Avon were very effective horror elements, especially as they naturally follow through the story in using the water as the enabling factor. Using the implied relationship between Avon and Cally was well done without changing what's later seen (or not seen) on screen. Nothing here was new perhaps, but the way the ideas were woven together and realised was extremely satisfying. Two consecutive gold stars, with Fortuitas and now this one being not only fun and clever but exactly what I expect audio Blake's 7 to sound like!

This story interestingly borrows from a few Doctor Who stories along the way for fans who follow both shows, and especially the Big Finish audios, to spot: Reno is Kane from Dragonfire, living trapped for so long that his dream of returning home outlasts his planet; living water appeared in previous audio The Genocide Machine, while the psychic plants in The Mind's Eye have basically become a waterfall!
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 10 July 2015 13:37:49
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.53 seconds
9,841,417 unique visits since 8th January 2014