Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 6

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blake's 7: A Critical Guide
Rodney
Frankymole wrote:

Exploding barge!!? Oh dear. So that's what happened to Alan Lomax of "Travelling Man" fame after the catastrophic plague...

Travelling Man, one of his favourite creations!
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

Rodney
I've just started working on a guide to Series 3-4. I do love the first half of Aftermath. Particularly the introduction of Dayna.

Frankymole
Ah yes! Dayna as Diana, the Huntress. She's certainly a goddess. I'm amazed Avon didn't follow up on the promise of romance - after all he said he hoped her curiosity wasn't too easily satisfied. It seems his was! Maybe he got all coy once Cally returned.

Rodney wrote:

I would love to have seen my father write for Blake's 7 and The New Avengers. After all, he had written a sci-fi film and worked for the original Avengers. Alas, it never happened!
He still could, after all his short story for Frank Marker (of Public Eye fame) returning to Mrs Mortimer's was a classic!

Travisina
Frankymole wrote:

I'm amazed Avon didn't follow up on the promise of romance - after all he said he hoped her curiosity wasn't too easily satisfied. It seems his was! Maybe he got all coy once Cally returned.

I think it was his snog with Servalan that changed his mind Wink
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Joe Dredd
Or perhaps Avon hear alarm bells when he realised, after Dayna had told him about Justin, that she had a thing for (much much) older men and she saw him in the same category.

(Which reminds me of the time a certain Mr Pacey was asked if Tarrant saw Avon as a sort of father figure, and he replied "No, more like a grandfather figure.")

Rodney
I'll post on here when I've completed the guides to Series 3-4. Then, if anyone wants a free electronic copy they can simply ask.

rojkerr1
Just watched Invasion, very enjoyable, funny how all the aliens were oriental, similar to UFO. Loved your fathers work Rodney, he was a brilliant writer

JustBrad
Joe Dredd wrote:

(Which reminds me of the time a certain Mr Pacey was asked if Tarrant saw Avon as a sort of father figure, and he replied "No, more like a grandfather figure."Wink

That line was originally issued by Mark Ryan of ROS as Stephen paused, thinking of an answer. It was Stephen's first con. We were lucky enough to be in the audience for the B7 / ROS panel. IIRC it was Visions 92 or so.

Joe Dredd
Rodney wrote:

I'll post on here when I've completed the guides to Series 3-4. Then, if anyone wants a free electronic copy they can simply ask.

Thank you Rodney. I am very interested in reading the lot!

Rodney
I'm on Volcano at the moment, hoping to complete Series 3 by the end of March. Always happy to send anyone the first three Series critical guides after that.

Rodney
I've just written a chapter on The Harvest of Kairos and rewatching it reminded me what a wonderfully complex character Ven Jarvik is. I love his speech to Servalan about being human:
“I’m a human being, and so are you. But when was the last time you felt the warmth of the sun on your naked back? Or lifted your face to the heavens and laughed with the joy of being alive? How long since you wept at the death of a friend? It doesn’t mean a thing to you, does it, Madame President? You’ve surrounded yourself with machines and weapons; mindless men and heartless mutoids. And when they’ve done your work and the machines have done your thinking, what is there left in you that feels?”

Rodney
And Servalan's non PC demand:
“There is the question of that primitive and degrading act to which I was subjected in the control room. I should like you to do it again.”

meegat39
Rodney wrote:

And Servalan's non PC demand:
“There is the question of that primitive and degrading act to which I was subjected in the control room. I should like you to do it again.”

That line gives me a "primitive" thrill!
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodney, I'm still enjoying this read very much! The descriptions of SLD, with the first appearances of Servalan and Travis, was most absorbing; it's fascinating to see the view of Blake's 7 from someone coming into our fandom from another, in this case Avengers fandom, because you have a slightly different take on the narrative structure of the episodes. Its hard to describe, but you have a less holistic view of each production than is generally the case within our fandom; and that's a good thing, because looking in from a different angle means you describe different observations. The description of the Decimas as "cabbage-like creatures" did make me laugh out loud, as that's a new and very amusing description for them!!
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Rodney
Glad to add some humour. It seems to me that The Avengers and Blake's 7 actually have a lot in common. They shared a large number of guest characters, relied on diabolical masterminds/cartoon strip villains and, within a formula, took a 'leftfield' approach. Blake's 7 obviously lacked the luxury of a similar budget, which shows in terms of music, direction etc but I think that a similar atmosphere is often created, one in which light froth and darker elements combine or merge.

Rodney
I have now completed the Series 3 guide and so the extended second edition is now for sale, published by my Out There Publications one-man-band company, on Lulu (now) and Amazon .(shortly). I actually think that Series 3 is better than the previous one. I'm not overly fond of City on the Edge, Sarcophagus or Moloch, but the others are impressive, with Aftermath, Children of Auron and Death-Watch gaining my maximum 5 stars in the guide at the back, equalling the first season.
Edited by Rodney on 21 February 2015 18:26:17

Rodney
I love Avon's stubborn determination in his Vis-cast battle with Orac:

Orac: I am now picking up a public Vis-cast transmission.
Avon: Put it on the main screen.
Orac: I must point out that this is a gross misuse and an absurd waste of my capabilities.
Avon: Put it on the main screen.
Orac: I will do it only under protest.
Avon: You can do it anyway you like just so long as you put it on the main screen.

Rodney
Just to update people: I am in the middle of Series 4 write-ups and Alex has kindly penned a Foreword for the book. Just completed my chapter on Animals which I love. Proof that even the final series had some genuine highlights.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodney wrote:

Just to update people: I am in the middle of Series 4 write-ups and Alex has kindly penned a Foreword for the book...

You're most welcome, it's a very good book! I'm sure fans will love reading it Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

BradPaula
Well, I'm interested in reading the book! Good luck!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.60 seconds
9,188,981 unique visits since 8th January 2014