Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 9

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 909
· Newest Rebel: John Hughes

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
Blake's 7: A Critical Guide
Rodney
I've only just discovered this site. Blake's 7 is my second great passion, after The Avengers. I have written and edited a number of books (critical commentaries) on The Avengers, a show which my father wrote 15 episodes of. (Roger Marshall; he also worked with Terry Nation on Survivors among many other things, including the sci-fi film Invasion.)
I have recently published a critical guide on the first two series of Blake's 7, with a chapter covering and analysing each of the 26 episodes. It is published by Lulu.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 01 April 2016 12:12:45
Vila: Where are all the good guys?
Blake: You could be looking at them.
Avon: What a depressing thought!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Hi Rodders and welcome to Horizon! I just read your reply about the books over on TIFF Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

Rodney
Thank you. Having immersed myself in Blake's 7 for the last few months it reminded me how great the show was.

Rodney
It offers critical commentaries on all 26 episodes, examining the way Blake’s 7 draws on a range of genres. Like The Avengers, it resists categorisation or labelling; a groundbreaking piece of television drama.

Political satire, comic strip action adventure, science fiction, space opera, Orwellian dystopia, costume drama, Western...

It presents itself as easy-viewing, early evening entertainment for a (largely) teenage audience – which, on one level, it was – yet it tackles state-surveillance, propaganda, corruption, genocide, revolution, and terrorism.

I've looked at the way the series combines dark humour, surrealism, shiny surfaces and dramatic depth, and how it blurs the boundary between hero/villain.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodders, would you be able to post some links here to where your work is available? Happy
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Joe Dredd
Rodney wrote:

The Avengers, a show which my father wrote 15 episodes of. (Roger Marshall

Your dad is Roger Marshall? Wow, much awe and respect! "Public Eye" was an excellent series, even without singling out the Brighton series that he wrote singlehandedly. His work on the Professionals and Lovejoy, and probably many other things has given me great enjoyment.

Welcome aboard Rodney!

Rodney
Thank you. My father loved the Brighton mini-series in Public Eye. One of his favourite achievements.

Rodney
Spaceship Dispatcher wrote:

Rodders, would you be able to post some links here to where your work is available? Happy

http://www.lulu.c...82100.html

I'm happy to e-mail a chapter or two for people to look at rather than buying unseen.
Edited by Spaceship Dispatcher on 04 January 2015 23:43:56

Rodney
The Hour That Never Was still seems to be the thing that most people remember.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodney wrote:

Thank you. My father loved the Brighton mini-series in Public Eye. One of his favourite achievements.

I bought the "ABC Years" dvd set of Public Eye episodes and really enjoyed them Happy

Spaceship Dispatcher
Rodney wrote:

http://www.lulu.c...82100.html

I'm happy to e-mail a chapter or two for people to look at rather than buying unseen.

Many thanks! I would definitely be interested in seeing a couple of chapters; click on my profile for my e-mail address. btw, I edited your post just to make you link clickable.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have read the introduction to this book and it looks like it's going to be a really interesting read! Rodney, you make this comment that I thought was probably very true; (hope you don't mind me quoting it)

However, while it does tackle subjects such as fascism, genocide, propaganda, corruption, and pacifism, it does not always acknowledge its dramatic depth.

Often a writer will put ideas into a script and then other contributors to the drama will interpret what they read in their performances, direction, design work and so on. Therefore the words of an episode might not shout 'this is deep and clever drama' but yet be good enough for others to make it so. This for me is the case with both Blake's 7 and much of The Avengers, written as adventure first and foremost but with the potential for the seeds sown by the writer to grow into so much more by the time the final edit is finished.

meegat39
Hi Rodney, I would also like a couple of chapters of your book if you don't mind. See my profile for email address... thanks Meegat
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

Spaceship Dispatcher
The review of The Way Back is really thought provoking, even with this being one of the most analysed episodes of the show! It's true that some of the atmosphere is generated through the smallest of details, like individual shots of security cameras placed perfectly in context or the different effects sound given interior and exterior shots. You also caused me to meditate again on something that for me is a real strength of the first episode, that of the sub-plot you describe where we actually follow the adventure of two characters after their final personal contact with the regular cast. You talk about how good Jeremy Wilkin is, and I wondered Rodders if you have seen him in Undermind? He was the lead in that show, another of the classics of British fantasy television.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Interesting review of Space Fall, with some very good insights into the characters, but it was an observation about the Liberator that really caught my attention; breaking into this abandoned yet mysterious place full of hidden and potentially dangerous depths really was a bit like an Egyptology analogy - I really had never seen it like that before. This first couple of chapters of this book have been full of really interesting and deep observations so far, and I highly recommend reading it.

trevor travis
Rodney wrote:

I've only just discovered this site. Blake's 7 is my second great passion, after The Avengers. I have written and edited a number of books (critical commentaries) on The Avengers, a show which my father wrote 15 episodes of. (Roger Marshall; he also worked with Terry Nation on Survivors among many other things, including the sci-fi film Invasion.)
I have recently published a critical guide on the first two series of Blake's 7, with a chapter covering and analysing each of the 26 episodes. It is published by Lulu.

Oh wow, Roger Marshall was one of the best writers on the Avengers and I really like "Parasites", his Survivors episode as well.

Rodney
He loved working on The Avengers. I seem to remember his survivors episode for Terry Nation involving an exploding barge, but I might be wrong!

Frankymole
Exploding barge!!? Oh dear. So that's what happened to Alan Lomax of "Travelling Man" fame after the catastrophic plague...

trevor travis
Rodney wrote:

He loved working on The Avengers. I seem to remember his survivors episode for Terry Nation involving an exploding barge, but I might be wrong!

Just found my review of "Parasites" - one of my favourites from the second season of Survivors:

http://www.blakes...owstart=20

Rodney
I would love to have seen my father write for Blake's 7 and The New Avengers. After all, he had written a sci-fi film and worked for the original Avengers. Alas, it never happened!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.71 seconds
9,119,809 unique visits since 8th January 2014