Forgotten your password?
Request a new one from Orac HERE.

Current User Info

· Lurkers Lurking: 4

· Rebels Active: 0

· Total Rebels: 908
· Newest Rebel: TheElfandherFriends

Login Help

If you are having problems logging in, please bear in mind that if you originally registered at the site before 8th January 2014 and you haven't re-registered since that date your old login details will no longer work. If this is the case, please re-register, preferably with your former username. If you are having trouble with the registration process itself, try looking HERE and HERE for help and advice. If you need further assistance, please do CONTACT us.

Current Poll

Who is your Favourite Guest Rebel?

Avalon - (Project Avalon)
Avalon - (Project Avalon)
18% [17 Votes]

Selma - (Horizon)
Selma - (Horizon)
5% [5 Votes]

Tyce - (Bounty)
Tyce - (Bounty)
15% [14 Votes]

Norm One - (Redemption)
Norm One - (Redemption)
2% [2 Votes]

Bek - (Shadow)
Bek - (Shadow)
6% [6 Votes]

Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
Kasabi - (Pressure Point)
19% [18 Votes]

Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
Hal Mellanby - (Aftermath)
14% [13 Votes]

Hunda - (Traitor)
Hunda - (Traitor)
5% [5 Votes]

Deva - (Blake)
Deva - (Blake)
9% [9 Votes]

Other
Other
6% [6 Votes]

Votes: 95
Login to vote.
Started: 09 July 2016

Polls Archive

Forum Activity

Newest Articles

B7 Images

+ Cookies +

The Horizon website uses cookies to allow user log-in and navigation. The site does not host advertising that requires the use of third-party cookies. Registering as a member of this site implies your consent to the use of cookies.

View Thread

Print Thread
What Are You Listening To?
Travisina
There's already a thread for what music you're listening to, but I wanted to start a thread for those who like audio drama and agree that sometimes 'pictures are better on the radio'.

I know I'm late to the party, but have just discovered Serial, and am working my way through the podcasts. It's absolutely gripping, I love it! It's a true story, so although it's unfolding like a drama, it's actually a documentary. In Baltimore, 1999, Hae Min Lee, a popular high-school senior, disappears after school one day. Six weeks later detectives arrest her classmate and ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, for her murder. He says he's innocent - though he can't exactly remember what he was doing on that January afternoon...
Adnan has now been in jail for 15 years, and Sarah Koenig, host of 'This American Life', investigates and tries to unravel the truth - is Adnan guilty, or has this been a colossal miscarriage of justice?

I'd love to discuss, but so far have only reached episode 7, so no spoilers please!
Twitter: @TravisinaB7
Tumblr: tumblr
There's no point being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes

Spaceship Dispatcher
Hi Travisina, thanks for starting this thread! It's quite rare I listen to music, but I'm an audiobook addict and enjoy them often. Last month my CD player blasted out Derek Jacobi reading The Hound of the Baskervilles, Gareth Thomas reading Children of the Stones, a BBC radio play from the late-60s of The Day of the Triffids, four Radio4 plays starring Bill Nighy as actor and super-sleuth Charles Paris, and the usual stack of Big Finish audios...
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher's fanfic site

meegat39
Travisina wrote:

There's already a thread for what music you're listening to, but I wanted to start a thread for those who like audio drama and agree that sometimes 'pictures are better on the radio'.

I know I'm late to the party, but have just discovered Serial, and am working my way through the podcasts. It's absolutely gripping, I love it! It's a true story, so although it's unfolding like a drama, it's actually a documentary. In Baltimore, 1999, Hae Min Lee, a popular high-school senior, disappears after school one day. Six weeks later detectives arrest her classmate and ex-boyfriend, Adnan Syed, for her murder. He says he's innocent - though he can't exactly remember what he was doing on that January afternoon...
Adnan has now been in jail for 15 years, and Sarah Koenig, host of 'This American Life', investigates and tries to unravel the truth - is Adnan guilty, or has this been a colossal miscarriage of justice?

I'd love to discuss, but so far have only reached episode 7, so no spoilers please!

Thanks for the link to Serial, Travisina. I've downloaded the first episode. As a Chancer, I love listening to free stuff, but will usually donate afterwards. Could you tell me how long each episode lasts??
"If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question."

purplecleric
Travisina wrote:

Me, too - I'm up to episode 4 and it's compelling stuff...

I believe Gauda Cheese has been listening to this as well and started a thread about it - perhaps when we've finished we can discuss there.

Travisina
meegat39 wrote:

Thanks for the link to Serial, Travisina. I've downloaded the first episode. As a Chancer, I love listening to free stuff, but will usually donate afterwards. Could you tell me how long each episode lasts??

They vary in length - approx 1/2 hour to an hour. I've been listening to two or three eps at a time, because each one leaves you desperate to find out what happens next!

Travisina
purplecleric wrote:

I believe Gauda Cheese has been listening to this as well and started a thread about it - perhaps when we've finished we can discuss there.

Oops, I hadn't realised! But this thread is for all audios, not just 'Serial', so I think it was still worth setting up.

Gauda Cheese
Serial is great.

So am I.
http://stwco.word... Stuff and things written by me.

My podcast: http://GATM.buzzs...

purplecleric
Gauda Cheese wrote:

Serial is great.

So am I.

Grin

rojkerr1
new survivors from big finish, very enjoyable

Ela
I've been listening to the Eighth Doctor Adventures from Big Finish, very enjoyable. Yesterday, I moved on to listening to Dark Eyes (already listened to Dark Eyes 1 quite a while ago, but now listening from the post-EDA point of view). Dark Eyes 2 and 3 (and 4 when it comes out) are on the TBL (to be listened to) agenda.

Music-wise, I have been listening to a lot of Israeli pop music and Israeli folk dance music lately.

BradPaula
I just finished listening to the Tom Baker/Louise Jameson Big Finish discs- Destination Nerva, The Renaissance Man, The Wrath of The Icini, and The Trail of the White Worm. Then I listened to Peri and the Piscon Paradox, Doctor Who, Shada with Paul McGann, then Doctor Who Unbound: Sympathy for the Devil, The Sands of Time, and the Doctor Who 50th anniversary spectacular, Light at the End with 5 Doctors, 16 companions and the Master thrown in as a bonus! I just finished Blake's 7 Fortuitas and am now going to listen to Dark Eyes 2 and 3. As I told Jason Haigh-Ellery, we support Big Finish!
Zil: Oneness must resist the Host.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Listening at the moment to the audiobook of Dr Who: Engines of War by George Mann, read by Nick Briggs; it's set before the episode The Day of the Doctor and features John Hurt's portrayal of the Doctor. I'm only one disk into the story but, with all the different elements introduced so far and with Nick Briggs reading the story and therefore also supplying all the Dalek voices, this is very much like as audiobook addition to Big Finish's excellent Dalek Empire series.
Reversing the polarity of the neutron flow. I bet that means something. It sounds great.

Blake's 7: Trojan Horse (s4 fanfic) - Blake's 7: Through the Needle's Eye (s2 fanfic)

Spaceship Dispatcher
I'm really enjoying Nick Briggs' reading of Engines of War; he does a note perfect John Hurt voice, and his Timothy Dalton is pretty good too! The depiction of the Daleks is fantastic, showing a huge empire that dominates vast areas of time and space; real classic Dalekmania stuff, complete with discrete sound effects taken from 1960s stories...

scorpiogirl
trying to find the time to catch up with my b7 audios plus my james herriot audio books...where does the time go??

Spaceship Dispatcher
Dr Who: Engines of War was excellent all the way to the finish; I'm now listening to Survivors by Terry Nation, read for audiobook by orginal series cast member Carolyn Seymour, and first impressions of both the book and the reading are very good.

Spaceship Dispatcher
Have been enjoying Doctor Who: Full Circle, read by original cast member Matthew Waterhouse, for much of this afternoon; Matthew's voice for the Doctor might not be quite right, but his impression of George Baker as Decider Login is spot on! The novelisation was by the original teleplay writer, Andrew Smith, and it's a very well written version of the story with plenty of detail but not so much that you lose concentration. The cover artwork for the novel was by Andrew Skilleter and is recreated nicely on the CD packaging, used not only as the main cover art and on the disks but also reproduced without any text above it inside the front and back covers.

rojkerr1
Nick Spenders artwork for the Aztecs had to be stretched slightly sideways for the cd cover! I have the original cover art, and its wider than mine! Wonder if they did it for this one? Aztecs worth a listen, William Russell does a good Hartnell

Spaceship Dispatcher
rojkerr1 wrote:

Nick Spenders artwork for the Aztecs had to be stretched slightly sideways for the cd cover! I have the original cover art, and its wider than mine! Wonder if they did it for this one? Aztecs worth a listen, William Russell does a good Hartnell

Didn't realise that about having to change the art for the different shaped cover! The Aztecs audiobook is definitely, as with all of the one read by William Russell, very highly recommended...

Spaceship Dispatcher
Finished Full Circle this morning and moved straight onto Doctor Who: Silhouette, a new novel written by Justin Richards and read by Dan Starkey; the latter is an excellent voice artist who, as anyone that has listened to Blake's 7: Spoils will fully appreciate, has the most amazing range of varied and convincing voices! This story features the Capaldi Doctor, Clara and the Paternoster Gang, which means that he gets to do his Strax voice; but he gets all his fellow cast members about right, and recreates the comic timing they manage on set perfectly too. That might sound easy, when you're reading all the parts yourself, but it's actually harder because you don't have anyone else's performance to respond to. The novel itself perfectly captures the feel and style of a series 34/8 adventure and has the speech patterns of all the regulars spot on. Lots of fun to listen to, making five hours fly past!

Spaceship Dispatcher
Listening right now to Ben Aaronovitch's novel of his own television Dalek story, Remembrance of the Daleks, read by original cast member Terry Molloy; the voices of the Daleks will be read by Nicholas Briggs, when I get that far into the story!

Jump to Forum:
Orac rendered this page in 0.65 seconds
9,102,636 unique visits since 8th January 2014